The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 PM

Well, let's do the mathematics shall we? Camilla apparantly entered their lives from birth. William was 15 when his mother died, Harry was 13. We know that they had nannies and tutors and that both parents had a busy public schedule. It is therefore likely that they were raised entirely by nannies and saw their parents occassionally. We know that their relationship with their mother was close but we also know that Diana engaged in phone sex whilst she was "babysitting" her sons (Squidgygate) and that parenting wasn't exactly her forte in the traditional sense. We also know that after Diana's death, the boys have been extremely close to their father and he has seen them through their formative years, but again, parenting isn't the traditional kind. Camilla has been around since 1997 and we know (thanks to the Princes) that they "love her to bits" and that she has taken an active interest in their lives. She is their stepmother but she isn't a parent, just as Charles and Diana were not parents. It seems they are more friends with a deep love. Bioligcally, William and Harry are the sons of Charles but parenthood wise, they don't fit the traditional requirements of what constitutes a father/son relationship. As Skydragon says, when the boys were younger it was a matter of a presence rather than parenting, the same as their relationship with Charles and Camilla has changed as they have got older and now is a matter of presence and not parenting.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
It doesn't work like that, your parents are your parents, you know your nannies are paid help.
Okay although I still think the parents Charles - Diana didn't give a 'Buckingham-protocole-well-respected' education to their kids. At least not Diana.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Hey this site is not a boxe ring with Diana vs Camilla. It seems that we are going here once more. I think we all agree that William & Harry didn't had a 'normal' childhood and education which is due to their position. On the other side we have to notice that they are not reacting like The Queen so there must be a difference between the two types of education. Perhaps the different period of their birth or maybe a higher involvement of their parents.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
I didn't think that was what Janet intended, either. From my original post on the subject, I wasn't attempting to assign blame to either Charles or Diana-or anyone else, for that matter-I was merely commenting that William's quoted remark appeared inarticulate.

The post you quoted was a response to Beatrix Fan's usual attempt to play the "blame game", which also makes members uncomfortable. I don't know why you chose to single out my comment, but, in any case, I'll stop commenting.
You seemed genuinely confused about what was going on and I was genuinely trying to explain something but I guess I didn't do a very good job or maybe you weren't even confused. That should teach me to send off a reply when I'm late to work. Please don't stop commenting because I wasn't trying to single you out.

Its just that for those of us who have been here for awhile the exchange is all too familiar and I think that if newer members start talking about this site not being a boxing ring between Camilla and Diana, then yes, the old battle lines are being drawn again and it often starts with members ascribing qualities of William or Harry to Charles' or Diana's influence.

That's all I meant.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth
Hey this site is not a boxe ring with Diana vs Camilla.
Quite right! Can we put down the boxing gloves, please?

Thanks.
ysbel
British forums moderator
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I'm afraid here in the UK Duchess, it is the sort of language you see the chavs using, the Catherine Tate take offs or those from very bad inner city schools. It really isn't what you expect from Prince Charles' son's, with an Eton and RMAS education.
i know what you mean...over here the word is "like"...people insert it after every other word...it's really annoying. however perhaps with more experience, their public speaking skills will improve. i will say that i don't fin any of the royals, including HM, particularly good speakers. some people just never get the knack for it and others are very good at it.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
i know what you mean...over here the word is "like"...people insert it after every other word...it's really annoying. however perhaps with more experience, their public speaking skills will improve. i will say that i don't fin any of the royals, including HM, particularly good speakers. some people just never get the knack for it and others are very good at it.
I wonder if its because what makes a public speaker well respected today is his or her motivational quality.

The royals are not that type of public person.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am always amazed that people who have no children have such strong willed opinions about other people's parenting skills.If one is 18,19, 20 years old, I'm curious as to what experience or knowledge they are basing their complete convictions on?
Old 06-16-2007, 12:02 AM

I haven't got a crack habit but I know it makes you lose weight and kiss tramps.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Let's leave the parenting skills alone!

ysbel
British forums moderator
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-16-2007, 04:35 AM

How can u say that William sounds boring, oh really, how do u expect the poor thing to behave. He is not only befending his mother, but also rejoicing his life with her. God forbid if the BORING camilla becomes queen, lets interview her revolting kiddies!!!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Serene Highness

I can't wait to see the interview, I just hope it turns out to be as interesting as I'm hoping it will be.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:00 AM
Commoner

They've never spoken about her in an interview and they have never really done long interviews before so it is no surprise that they don't always answer articulately. They have chosen to celebrate her life, 10 years after her death after maintaining a dignifed silence while she has been so exploited all these years... I think they're doing like, you know, OK.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I haven't got a crack habit but I know it makes you lose weight and kiss tramps.

hahahaha
Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1 View Post
They've never spoken about her in an interview and they have never really done long interviews before so it is no surprise that they don't always answer articulately. They have chosen to celebrate her life, 10 years after her death after maintaining a dignifed silence while she has been so exploited all these years... I think they're doing like, you know, OK.
i agree. on this board, we so quick to say let her rest in peace whenever a new book comes out but when her children want to celebrate her life after a "dignified silence" as you very accurately stated, we're still not happy.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Royal Highness

in defense of some of the absent parents out there i have to wade into this discussion. while i know that nannies were probably there most of the time i don't think that charles and diana played any less important a role in parenting the boys. my husband is away for 2 weeks at a time and i firmly believe that it's not necessarily how much time you spend with your children but the QUALITY of the time you spend with them. it would be nice if we could all spend more time with our kids but if you've done your best and instilled the right things in them from the moment you brought them home from the hospital then id say you're a good parent. having said that, i know that the nannies were a big influence in their lives. while diana and charles both engaged in some phone sex, i don't think that makes them bad parents and i don't think that either of them would rather spend time on the phone doing that than spend time with their kids. lets be honest, for those of us that have children, we've all felt, from time to time "someone please take this child/children and give me some peace and quiet".
Old 06-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1 View Post
These are not two shy country boys who have lived in the outback all their lives mustering cattle and being home-schooled. They are two very privileged young men who have grown up surrounded by wealth and constantly exposed to well educated and articulate people. They have been to elite schools. One has gone to university and both have attended Sandhurst. Both of them, and William in particular, would have been required to regularly make reports and short speeches in front of their schoolmates and teachers. They are not children, but young men in their twenties. There is no excuse for them not speaking confidently and articulately when interviewed.......unless they are dunderheads.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Harry: Mum Was A Good Actress

The Royalist - Prince Harry: Mum Was A Good Actress
Old 06-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Royal Highness

privilege and education -and in some cases even life experience do not make someone a good public speaker. here's an example - i remember listening to a gentleman talk about how he was injured in a motor vehicle accident - burns to over 90% of his body and confined to a wheel chair - while his story of regaining a life was certainly inspiring his public speaking was terrible and he'd been on the circuit for a number years. i'm giving the princes the benefit of the doubt that with time and experience you won't hear the um's and you know's that we heard in this interview. that's not to say that they'll be great speakers, they will just be more comfortable and better able to find the words that would more appropriately convey what they want to say.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

I was lucky enought to have nannies and other staff to help bring up my children and their father was sometimes away for long periods of time, but we are both their parents.

They always knew we were their parents, but a cut knee would send them scuttling to their nanny, not me. I wasn't there for the nappy changing, the weaning etc. At 7 teachers, matron and school took over, followed by uni and then RMAS, Cranwell & St Athan.

All parents like us do, is reinforce what they are learning at any one time. That is probably one reason why W & H have good memories of their mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02
Prince Harry: Mum Was A Good Actress
She was indeed!

Tags
diana princess of wales, interviews, prince harry, prince william, princess diana