William and Harry's TV Interviews about Diana: June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the transcripts I did think the princes' communication skills were appalling but in all fairness, the actual videos (available on various websites and Youtube) are nowhere near as bad.
It's more a case of Will and Harry overlapping each other in their answers and a certain lack of confidence/con fort in front if the camera.

Still, William strikes me as lacking in vocabulary, particularly as English is his first language and he his a college graduate. But dumb he is not (nor is he dull, imo. Harry can barely do any wrong in my eyes so I won't comment on him.:wub::lol:

Of course one can compare the tragedies. Princess Alice got on with it, there's no reason the two Princes shouldn't follow her example.

Of course, Princess Alice was much more mature, and a well-seasoned royal.

globeandmail.com: Blogolitics - In Pictures: Do You Have Anything To Declare?

Prince William on the coolest thing about being a prince: "Yeah. No, I think it's-- we're very lucky. You know, we have lots of things that we are very fortunate to have. You know, we have a house, you know? We have, you know, all these sort of nice things around us. And so, you know, we're grateful for that because so many people don't have that. We have, you know, relative stability and stuff like that. And, you know, lots of things that, you know, everyone would, you know, love to have." [Monday NBC: First Ever U.S. TV Interview]

-----
Yikes. I'm not sure I want to watch this.

Of course, Princess Alice was much more mature, and a well-seasoned royal.

Indeed. I am strongly supportive of the comparisons Beatrixfan makes. It is indeed something to aspire to, to handle tragedies as well as someone like Princess Alice! That is a very noble aspiration, and achieving that kind of place in life is a sign of true strength, but it is hardly fair to fault anyone for falling short of it, especially ones in their twenties! ;)

I watched the Today show this morning and I think the interview is better than the transcript. Yes they use "like" "you know" "yeah" way too much... just like all teens and twenty-somethings do.

Harry really shines in this interview. My only complaint is that they talk to fast! :D

Frighteningly inarticulate and the constant 'you know' that is so unlike the rest of the senior royals.

Yes and I actually find the constant "you know" quite weird. So many "you knows".. :eek: Just curious, is that how Americans and Brits talk? Is it a culture?

Last edited:
People deal with their grief in different ways BeatrixFan. I think William and Harry moved on but that doesen't mean that they have to stop honoring and cherishing their mother's memory because certain people don't like her. They set up a concert and memorial service to remember Diana's life there is nothing wrong with that.

&You deserve a :fireworks: & a big 2 thums up. & I hope that the Concert will be a Great success. Though, I think that it will be. That I think will be a no brainer

I am always amazed that people who have no children have such strong willed opinions about other people's parenting skills.If one is 18,19, 20 years old, I'm curious as to what experience or knowledge they are basing their complete convictions on?

Ok, never mind But, Props for you.

Last edited:
I hope the interview can be watched online because I just moved Friday night (seven states over) and don't have cable yet.

in defense of some of the absent parents out there i have to wade into this discussion. while i know that nannies were probably there most of the time i don't think that charles and diana played any less important a role in parenting the boys. my husband is away for 2 weeks at a time and i firmly believe that it's not necessarily how much time you spend with your children but the QUALITY of the time you spend with them. it would be nice if we could all spend more time with our kids but if you've done your best and instilled the right things in them from the moment you brought them home from the hospital then id say you're a good parent. having said that, i know that the nannies were a big influence in their lives. while diana and charles both engaged in some phone sex, i don't think that makes them bad parents and i don't think that either of them would rather spend time on the phone doing that than spend time with their kids. lets be honest, for those of us that have children, we've all felt, from time to time "someone please take this child/children and give me some peace and quiet".

I agree with alot of what you've written but I take issue with one point -- "quality" time does not just happen -- it takes "quanity of time" for "quality of time" to occur. Hopefully each child has quantity time with responsible, caring adults - parents, nannies, grandparents, whomever - so that quality time is achieved. I strongly believe that, as much as parents want to believe they can turn on and off quality time when they have the time, this is not the case. Children have their own pace of life also and their yearning/need for quality time, or lack thereof, doesn't always coincide with when a parent has time. And I say this coming from a family where my husband, also, travels frequently and for long periods at a time and where we, over time, have learned this lesson.

Last edited:
I watched the Today show this morning and I think the interview is better than the transcript. Yes they use "like" "you know" "yeah" way too much... just like all teens and twenty-somethings do.

Harry really shines in this interview. My only complaint is that they talk to fast! :D

I've seen short excerpts of the interview, and as you say, the "you know"s really aren't as prominent in the interview as in the transcript. In the context of the spoken interview, they're obviously just throwaway words that you don't really notice unless you're listening for them.

For those of us who don't get up early in the morning, the Lauer interview will be re-broadcasted on Dateline NBC tonight at 10PM EDT.

I agree with alot of what you've written but I take issue with one point -- "quality" time does not just happen -- it takes "quanity of time" for "quality of time" to occur. Hopefully each child has quantity time with responsible, caring adults - parents, nannies, grandparents, whomever - so that quality time is achieved. I strongly believe that, as much as parents want to believe they can turn on and off quality time when they have the time, this is not the case. Children have their own pace of life also and their yearning/need for quality time, or lack thereof, doesn't always coincide with when a parent has time. And I say this coming from a family where my husband, also, travels frequently and for long periods at a time and where we, over time, have learned this lesson.

hi Emily...don't you feel that inspite of the fact that your husband is away for long periods, that the time he does spend with the children is quality? my experience has been that all a child wants is your time...but not for long periods. take for example reading a book together - doesn't take long but it's quality time together. for me and my daughter, it could be while i'm bathing her, or she's "helping" me in the kitchen. all rather quick chores but over time they've become special times for us. that's the misunderstanding, i think, is that when you only have limited time with the children, people don't think you do anything special but over time those special moments make a huge difference.

William´s Xmas messae 2037

People of England you know, I address to you as you know your King you know to wish you all you know a Merry Xmas you know. That peace and love fill you know your homes in this time when you know we remind the birth of you know our Lord you know Jesus Christ or whatever

NBC Preview:

YouTube - NBC: William and Harry Preview

I watched the interview on the today show this morning. I dont think i'll be getting up early to watch the second half tomorrow.

most of what was said had already been released in the excerpts or had been said in the interview they did a few months ago to anounce the concert.

i had been very much looking forward to this interview and i was a bit disappointed. the things the princes were said were pretty uninteresting and kind of bland. not bad or stupid but just a bit boring.

I guess I'm in the minority of people who are actually looking forward to seeing this. I haven't seen any excerpts or anything, just a quick promo on NBC Sunday morning at about 1:30 in the morning. I know they won't be saying anything earth-shattering or revealing, but I'm still interested in what they have to say.

know they won't be saying anything earth-shattering or revealing, but I'm still interested in what they have to say.

royalty rarely says anything earth-shattering or revealing in their interviews. but many of them manage to say the things I already know they are going to say with a bit of wisdom or wit or originality that is quite engaging and not boring.

People outside the US: Can you watch the nbc videos¿ Cause I cant cause of geographic location

I'm sure Diana did her best for her boys while she was alive, and I'm also sure that Charles and the RF have done their best since then. But regardless of how well they were brought up, these two young men didn't spring from parents who are known as untra-intelligent or quick witted or gifted public speakers. They may be charming young men, but they may also be dim.

I look forward to seeing the interview next week.
Oh well, Hitler and Saddam were quite convincing public speakers and their admirers must have thought them ultra-intelligent and quick witted.
Obviously you are not a fan of Prince William and Prince Harry and that is OK. I have seen excerpts of their BBC interview and they come across to me as down-to-earth, honest and loyal. They may not be great orators but this is an interview for goodness sake. It is suppossed to be a conversation into which millions are 'eavesdropping'. Not the two of them thumping us with their ideas.

Oh well, Hitler and Saddam were quite convincing public speakers and their admirers must have thought them ultra-intelligent and quick witted.
Obviously you are not a fan of Prince William and Prince Harry and that is OK. I have seen excerpts of their BBC interview and they come across to me as down-to-earth, honest and loyal. They may not be great orators but this is an interview for goodness sake. It is suppossed to be a conversation into which millions are 'eavesdropping'. Not the two of them thumping us with their ideas.

I dont think anyone in their right mind could honestly believe that ability to speak well is an indication of moral goodness.

Matt lauer will interview with William and Harry on June 18th.. remeber set record for them..

Matt Lauer Interviews Prince William & Prince Harry - Starpulse News Blog

hey. casiraghi trio

Sorry i was too late to post the previously post but it closed so here..No I did not there at polo i found some pics from royalist.net.so I paste the pics from it.. ... i wish i was there.
Prince William & Prince Harry's interview will be shown today (19 June 2007) on Malaysia's Astro channel 10 at 09.00 pm to 10.00 pm.

Well I saw the interview ... I wonder if anyone's managed to upload it to youtube as yet, lol ... it was a very good documentary / interview. It really showed them as being really down to earth and normal (as normal as I suspect they could get). They were very relaxed talking to Matt Lauer. The umm's weren't as pronounced. They appeared to be very humble people, in spite of the fact that they were brought up in the royal family. I thought it was quite an interesting interview. Both of them seemed shocked to learn that they actually have public images! They spoke extensively about how being in the public eye their whole lives has impacted on them and their friends, and how they've seen it impact on their mother. They spoke about how they view themselves and each other (Harry did not agree with the public's perception of his brother, William, but wouldn't go into any explanations as to why he didn't agree, lol).

Anyways, it's definitely an interview and documentary worth watching, if you're interested to know more about them and their thoughts on their mother and the reality that is their world.

Last edited:
I thought it was a really good interview, for what it was set to be, and I just adore Harry's accent. I definitely enjoyed listening to him speak.

As for the "umms" and what not, I actually didn't recognize if they were doing that because I was paying attention to what they were saying and didn't catch any of them. I think for all their faults and missteps, underneath all that, they are just two really down-to-earth guys who are fun and at times, witty.

I think for all their faults and missteps, underneath all that, they are just two really down-to-earth guys who are fun and at times, witty.

Yea I agree, that's exactly how they sounded.

As for the "umms" and what not, I actually didn't recognize if they were doing that because I was paying attention to what they were saying and didn't catch any of them.

For me that was most noticeable when Matt Lauer asked the question that the princes could not answer (well not easily anyways) ... I thought it was funny that they couldn't answer it right away.

Last edited:
I thought it was a really good interview, for what it was set to be, and I just adore Harry's accent. I definitely enjoyed listening to him speak. As for the "umms" and what not, I actually didn't recognize if they were doing that because I was paying attention to what they were saying and didn't catch any of them. I think for all their faults and missteps, underneath all that, they are just two really down-to-earth guys who are fun and at times, witty.

I agree! I only saw the second half of the interview, but I taped it and plan on watching it in the morning when I get home from work. I was astounded to see all the criticism for the Princes' grammer on these boards. I also didn't notice it because I was trying to pay attention to what they were saying. They do talk fast, and if you're not accustomed to hearing someone speak in a British accent, it can be hard to understand. Closed captioning helped (except the person didn't know how to spell 'wombat' - I think it came out 'woman bat'). Overall, I thought it was very insightful.

I missed it! I hope it will be on nbc.com in a couple of days as its not there now. Thanks to all for posting their thoughts, I can get some idea.

I did see the part they had on the 'Today' show Monday morning. It seemed like they showed an extended portion of a small part of the 'Dateline' interview. I wouldn't be surprised if they dragged the interview out all week long on the 'Today' show.

(FYI...Bonjovi is on 'Today''s Toyota Concert Series today in the 0830 hour. Woo Hoo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom