The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2007, 04:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily97
My point is Harry was a child when she died, William a young adult. I believe William met with the Queen often and perhaps still does to study Royal whatever. I would think due to their age when she died any study of public speaking would have been taught after her demise. Hard to find her at fault that she wanted them to be brought up more normal than royals before them when she hasn't been here for the last 10 years!

Lily
I'm sure Diana did her best for her boys while she was alive, and I'm also sure that Charles and the RF have done their best since then. But regardless of how well they were brought up, these two young men didn't spring from parents who are known as untra-intelligent or quick witted or gifted public speakers. They may be charming young men, but they may also be dim.

I look forward to seeing the interview next week.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have to wonder what they mean by reminding people of the 'amazing things' she did. It is a pop/has been concert for those who were/are Diana fans and believe she could walk on water anyway, a few youngsters who have very little idea of who she was but are going in the hope of seeing/meeting William and Harry. Coupled with fans of Duran Duran, Elton and the various other acts.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN
I see their tribute as fitting because it is something they have decided to do themselves to honour the memory of their mother. Their father does not object so why should we?
When I read this posting I first read it the wrong way and said to myself: now that is exactly the way Isee it: the princes do the concert "for" themselves. Of course, I know that you didn't mean it that way but that is my impression: that the princes want to conmemorate their mother in a way she would have liked, as a final gift to "mommy" and to, well, it's not really enjoying, is it, but to share their grief again with an audience of people who adored her.

There's nothing wrong in that. But I simply doubt that these young men did it out of altruistic motives alone, I believe there is an element of leaving a period of mourning as children and enter a life as motherless adults. Sure, they loved her and love her still, but even if she had been alive, she would not longer be the most important influence for them and that's something they feel, IMHO, and have to deal with it. Hence the big party for her on the 10th anniversary of her death and not a celebration of her 50th. birthday.... Because it marks a period who is important for them, but not really for her.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Commoner

Wills and Harry tell Fearne of excitement over Diana concert
Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Courtier

Video of the interview

Sky News Video - Princes Praise Their 'Amazing' Mother Diana

MSNBC - A conversation with William and Harry Front Page
Old 06-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, what I find funny is that we constantly hear, "Di brought up those boys single-handed" and "Di loved those boys and brought them up so well", yet when they do things that show them to be dangerously close to being chinless wonders, it's nobodies fault. We can't have it both ways.
Fine. But, it isn't ALL Diana's fault, either. Their father raised them, too.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is not Charles, Camillas or Diana's fault - these boys had nannies, governesses and teachers they spent more time with and who basically brought them up and have shaped the way they speak.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
Fine. But, it isn't ALL Diana's fault, either. Their father raised them, too.
sassie,

In the past, some members have pointedly and repeatedly ascribed every positive characteristic of the boys to Diana and every negative characteristic that the boys displayed to Charles' influence and the royal family's influence. Its happened with some members giving the blame to Diana for everything the boys do wrong although not as much and I don't think that's happening here.

Overall in the past year or so we've seen it less and less because members got sick of William and Harry being used as examples to prove the point that either Diana was the best or Charles was the best.

But with the 10th anniversary of Diana's passing coming so soon, a lot of emotions are coming up from the time when Diana died and when the marriage was at its worst.

I think when Diana's death has been noted, one would hope that William and Harry are getting their own reputation and are moving away from being seen as a reflection of one or both of their parents.

But they did inherit some things from their parents so its natural to talk about them. But when the words become pitched battles between Diana and Charles supporters as to which one is best (and I don't think that is what Janet intended) that's when members get uncomfortable.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Nobility

I don't understand why people have such a problem with the boys doing a concert. Do people really think that these boys should just forget about their mother. Why do we have a right to remember our love ones and they don't? If you do not like Diana, then fine. It seems from the post here that many of you would like for them to never think of her, never talk about her, just forget her and move on. Does one ever just move on? You may go on with life, but this does not mean you forget about the past. I think that people should put their personal feeling aside and remember that this is William and Harry mother. She will always be their mother!!! Going on with life has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
sassie,

But they did inherit some things from their parents so its natural to talk about them. But when the words become pitched battles between Diana and Charles supporters as to which one is best (and I don't think that is what Janet intended) that's when members get uncomfortable.
I didn't think that was what Janet intended, either. From my original post on the subject, I wasn't attempting to assign blame to either Charles or Diana-or anyone else, for that matter-I was merely commenting that William's quoted remark appeared inarticulate.

The post you quoted was a response to Beatrix Fan's usual attempt to play the "blame game", which also makes members uncomfortable. I don't know why you chose to single out my comment, but, in any case, I'll stop commenting.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:31 PM

Whoa.... who says the charity concert is a bad idea? I know I do not say that. I do think the excerpts we have from the interview show that the princes have much to learn about public speaking, but I do not believe it's bad to honor their mother with a tasteful concert. It's a good thing. It will raise money for charities, very good important charities, and there could scarcely be a better way to pay tribute to her. I am excited about the concert, excited for them, excited for how much money it will raise for the charities.
Moreover, this really should be Diana's summer. It is ten years since she died and time to do something that is truly honorable in her memory, something that shows the goodness of her heart and does not scandalize the recycled laundry of the bad points of her life. That is what I believe this concert is about. It seems to be a positive thing all around.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
How do you know HRH Princess Alice never did it? Just because she doesn't warrant attention in the media does not mean it never happenned.
I know she did it because we saw her do it. She worked and earned respect. She threw herself into charity work. What have William and Harry done? Organised a concert. Wow.

Quote:
Whoa.... who says the charity concert is a bad idea?
I do. I find it totally unacceptable and I hope people will realise that just as with Live 8, the majority of people are going for the music and not the cause.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Gentry

I'm sure very few people go to charity events for the cause. Most go for the other offerings. Why do you think these charities use celebrities to promote their causes, come to their dinners, attend their parties? The celebrity is the draw. In the end does it really matter what brings the people in as long as they come and donate and the charitable cause gets the money? In a perfect world we wouldn't even need charitable causes because people would go out of their way to help everyone. This however is not a perfect world.

Trust me with the acts lined up, some people are coming because it is for Diana, not the acts. I personally have no interest in about 99 percent of the people listed, wouldn't buy or listen to their music. I'll probably watch the concert though because of the circumstances.

The more clips I see of the Matt interview, the better I think it will be. Here are some of the clips released from NBC. I think there are four.

MSNBC - The Today Show - Matt Lauer, Meredith Vieira, Ann Curry, Al Roker, Natalie Morales - News, Celebrities, Recipes, Video, Tips and Advice, Entertainment and Live Concerts -- MSNBC.com Front Page
Old 06-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Royal Highness

just touching back on the topic of the amount of "you know's" and "um's" in the interview...i think the best thing these young men could do would be to invest in a public speaking coach. they're obviously comfortable speaking but they need to learn to speak slower, and to avoid all those annoying little "filler" words that tend to make people look like they have no grasp of the language they speak.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
William & Harry talk about their mother
The Royalist - William & Harry: Remember Our Mother's Amazing Work

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
It is not Charles, Camillas or Diana's fault - these boys had nannies, governesses and teachers they spent more time with and who basically brought them up and have shaped the way they speak.
What do you mean its not Camilla's fault. She didn't raise William and Harry.
Charles and Diana did.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:40 PM

I think you'll find nannies raised them.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
What do you mean its not Camilla's fault. She didn't raise William and Harry.
Charles and Diana did.
No Charles and Diana were a big part of their lives until her death, but they certainly didn't raise them. That was a whole battalion of nannies, servants, tutors etc. After her death, in fact for the last 10 years, Diana has had no input at all and even before that, seeing them during scool holidays when she or Charles were not out and about can hardly be called 'raising' them. It is a little like the people who say they built their own house, when what they should say is they employed a company to build a house for them, a world of difference!

Camilla has been a big part of their lives and I presumed it would only be a matter of time before someone blamed Camilla!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Yes, but Diana took them at school, did some fun stuff with them (same thing with Charles). If they weren't raised by their parents I can't explain why they felt so sad when she died. I mean it would have been sadder if the nannies had died, no?

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth
Yes, but Diana took them at school, did some fun stuff with them (same thing with Charles). If they weren't raised by their parents I can't explain why they felt so sad when she died. I mean it would have been sadder if the nannies had died, no?
It doesn't work like that, your parents are your parents, you know your nannies are paid help.

Tags
diana princess of wales, interviews, prince harry, prince william, princess diana