The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
I have seen the two interviews with the Princes, and eeerh......, despite their impressive Etonian education both of them came over as superficial and shallow boyish men, with a limited vocabulary ('yeah you know' after almost every sentence) and it was the least 'royal' interview I have ever seen ("thank you chaps!" by the interviewer).
I too have watched both interviews and found them an embarrassment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
but I think younger Royals should not forget they are Royals. What would be the point of the Institution of Monarchy, if Royals were exactly like us?
Well said!

Old 07-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I know that most people say 'Royals should be like us' (which usually doesn't go far enough to accept they can drink, divorce or make other mistakes like us),
How true Avalon. The wish to see royals as more like us often doesn't extend to some not so nice things that normal people do (drinking too much, divorce, affairs, etc.) So when the royals make mistakes like the rest of us, they get criticized for forgetting that they are royal. Only rare people like Diana are accepted flaws and all and even then not all the time by everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
but I think younger Royals should not forget they are Royals. What would be the point of the Institution of Monarchy, if Royals were exactly like us?
I'm agreeing with you yet again.

On the plus side, William and Harry were very honest that they will never be like normal men and I think that is a very wise statement. However, it seems that they were trying to act and sound less intimidating which is very commendable but it had the unfortunate result of making them sound a little less intelligent.

I don't know because I didn't see the interview myself, but that's what I get from listening to the people who did see the interview.

Certainly their bond with the common man on the street cannot be a lack of intelligence. That would be too depressing.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not trying to say that they should forget their lineage. I'm saying people should remember that underneath the lineage they are two grown men and sometimes when two grown men are asked questions, no matter their level of education, they will sound like what we heard in that interview. Something I've read a few times here that has really started to grate on me is this concept that because they went to good schools, they should talk better. I went to a good school.....a private H.S. and one of the top universities in the state and my English sometimes sounds like I wasn't even born here. I make dumb grammatical errors both when I write and when I speak and that has nothing to do with my level of education. I'm not stupid and I'm not a poor speaker and neither are they. Sometimes I slip into more colloquial speech because I feel more comfortable expressing myself in that manner. Who's to say that Will and Harry aren't the same way? That's just something that I've read several times in this thread and it has continually rubbed me the wrong way.

I think people are also forgetting this was an informal interview. Informal being the key word. The two of them strike me as not feeling comfortable with all the pomp and circumstance and that probably had a lot to do with why the interview was conducted the way it was. They didn't wear suits, they weren't interviewed in some grand and formal room and they weren't addressed by titles on camera. I'm sure the time will come for an interview like that to occur, but this wasn't it. They wanted it to be like this AND this was for American TV so they wanted to probably come across more accessible to the Americans who were watching. I don't blame them for that.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I think people are also forgetting this was an informal interview. Informal being the key word.
Sister Morphine, I don't think people are inferring that the boys are dumb or we are forgetting that this was an informal interview . I think that the informality is what some people don't like or to use your words, the informality grates on their nerves.

But you may be right that the informality may be appealing to most Americans which is why my friend who is not a royalty watcher was very impressed with the interview.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
They wanted it to be like this AND this was for American TV so they wanted to probably come across more accessible to the Americans who were watching. I don't blame them for that.
One interview was for American TV, the other for the British. Both have been shown on British TV now and their speech did not improve for the BBC offering.

Why do some mention they went to a good school - because it is considered one of the top public schools, where boys from all over the world, have to have their names put on a waiting list. That William and Harry should come out speaking like any thicko, is depressing!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
it is considered one of the top public schools, where boys from all over the world, have to have their names put on a waiting list.
Then it should be considered a good school, right?

I wonder if they way they look and sound is the result of any public relations advice they may have gotten.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Then it should be considered a good school, right?
It should be, if any of our boys (or girls) spoke like that.....
Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It should be, if any of our boys (or girls) spoke like that.....
LOL but I can't agree with you more! Personally, I don't understand why some find it appealing for educated young men to speak like they need a tutor. If that's their idea of how "normal" people talk, it's a rather condescending attitude.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Nobility

There you are Prince William and Prince Harry. Embrace your heritage and destiny. Don't be apologetic about who you are. We find the 'you knows' a trifle irritating and totally unnecessary. You can stand up tall and be proud of who you are. You have proven yourselves to us by your handling of the 'Concert for Diana' that you are very capable young men.
Learn from the Prince of Orange of how to maintain royal dignity while maintaining the common touch and I daresay, he will have a few things to learn from you too.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Royal Highness

Queen's English

Another example was yesterday's Concert for Diana.

Is it really too hard to say some spontaneous words of gratitude to all who made the Concert possible, to honour their unforgettable mother?

Did they really need written lines to say these basal things? Why did they need to peek in that note in their hands. What was so difficult to remember. Let your heart speak. Really, the two give the impression they have to learn a LOT.

And then about the non-understanding about my negativeness about Etonians having such a limited vocabulary and a non-articulating way of speaking: in the Netherlands we have always been told to listen to the BBC, if we wanted to hear proper English. It is not the English we hear in American sitcoms or on MTV.

Dutch students are also told about Queen's English (or King's English) which is the idea that the monarch’s usage of the language should be a model in speech and writing.

Seen in that light, there is still a LOT of work to do.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Nobility

My opinion is that they are trying too hard not to stand out as belonging to a privileged class. But as expressed by others in this forum, some of us prefer the royals to maintain some sort of aura around them.
Striking this balance is something they will have to work on. Perhaps in a more formal setting (maybe the memorial service ??), their more formal selves will be on display.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I noticed it too, that William was very insecure, peeking at a piece of paper for every sentence. Maybe he did not prepare at all and when he stood there it was more difficult than he thought it would be.

Also, if they could not improvise, why did they not use an auto q or whatever those things are called, you look in the camera and what you are going to say flashes in front of you

Quote:
Another example was yesterday's Concert for Diana.

Is it really too hard to say some spontaneous words of gratitude to all who made the Concert possible, to honour their unforgettable mother?

Did they really need written lines to say these basal things? Why did they need to peek in that note in their hands. What was so difficult to remember. Let your heart speak. Really, the two give the impression they have to learn a LOT.

And then about the non-understanding about my negativeness about Etonians having such a limited vocabulary and a non-articulating way of speaking: in the Netherlands we have always been told to listen to the BBC, if we wanted to hear proper English. It is not the English we hear in American sitcoms or on MTV.

Dutch students are also told about Queen's English (or King's English) which is the idea that the monarch’s usage of the language should be a model in speech and writing.

Seen in that light, there is still a LOT of work to do.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
I noticed it too, that William was very insecure, peeking at a piece of paper for every sentence. Maybe he did not prepare at all and when he stood there it was more difficult than he thought it would be.

Also, if they could not improvise, why did they not use an auto q or whatever those things are called, you look in the camera and what you are going to say flashes in front of you
Autocue.

But still: just "On behalf of my brother, our family and myself I want to express our gratitude to all who have made this an unforgettable evening. It will always remain in a special place in our hearts.
Thank you, thank you so very much!"

Ready. Three sentences. No autocue. No note.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Royal Highness

speaking in public is very trickly for some people. even the easiest things can be so hard to say. and remember - they were speaking live in front of approx. 70 000 and then countless numbers on t.v. so given his inexperience at live public speaking in front of such a large audience i think we should give him this one.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

well, it was an adoring public full of good will, he will have to face sceptics and others too in the future. Still needs some training in that department, not a natural public speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
speaking in public is very trickly for some people. even the easiest things can be so hard to say. and remember - they were speaking live in front of approx. 70 000 and then countless numbers on t.v. so given his inexperience at live public speaking in front of such a large audience i think we should give him this one.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Autocue.

But still: just "On behalf of my brother, our family and myself I want to express our gratitude to all who have made this an unforgettable evening. It will always remain in a special place in our hearts.
Thank you, thank you so very much!"

Ready. Three sentences. No autocue. No note.

==========

Give these guys a break. They are not seasoned public speakers, who can speak extempore in front of 70,000 people. Whilst it would have been great if the boys could have spoken without referring to their notes, that is certainly one way of ensuring that they manage to communicate all the messages that they want to. If William needed notes for small speaches like this one in 10 years from not, it would be a cause for criticism - but as of now it is totally unjustified.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Having watched the media headlines since the concert, I think it's funny that the amount of people there has grown from 63,000 to 70,000. Unless people snuck in, there were only 63,000 places available and police estimates suggest that just over 1000 people didn't turn up because of the weather and the bombs! By this time next week, it will have grown to at least 85,000.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Royal Highness

the reason for the discrepancy, i think, is because during the concert the news agencies here in north american were estimating the seating capacity and after the fact it was actually lower. the reason could also be that during concerts so many seats are lost to technical equipment and, as you said in this case, for the weather and terror threats. those reasons aside, i think william harry did a great job speaking in front of 10's of thousands of people and the critics are being a bit too hard on them.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Gentry

Can someone tell me where I can find the NBC interview? Is it downloadable somewhere? -cause I can't find it at youtube.. Where are people outside the US supposed to find it..?

thnx
Old 07-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
well, it was an adoring public full of good will, he will have to face sceptics and others too in the future. Still needs some training in that department, not a natural public speaker.
i partially agree...speaking in front of an audience that likes you is a lot easier than speaking in front of one that doesn't and that he does indeed need some training. i think the training will come when he starts taking on more engagements and becomes more comfortable with larger groups and crowds.

Tags
diana princess of wales, interviews, prince harry, prince william, princess diana