The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
How to live like a Prince?? Good Question

How to live like a Prince - Daily Features - Features - Belfast Telegraph
That's a more thoughtful article than most of the superficial stuff we've been treated to recently. It's bringing up the same issue that we were seeing with Kate Middleton: even though the brothers don't spend every evening in nightclubs, if they're photographed every time they do go to a nightclub and not photographed on the evenings when they don't, it leaves the impression that they're out partying every night. Same with Kate and the photos of her going shopping, which left at least some people with the impression that she never did anything else.

Unfortunately, people seem to be prepared to believe that if they don't see things happening, it means that they can't be happening, so very little credit ever seems to be given to the royals for all the behind-the-scenes private work that's related to their duties. Even after several documentaries have tried over the years to explain what the royals do when they aren't out in public, this perception seems to still be current that they aren't doing anything if someone hasn't taken a photo of it for us.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Unfortunately, people seem to be prepared to believe that if they don't see things happening, it means that they can't be happening, so very little credit ever seems to be given to the royals for all the behind-the-scenes private work that's related to their duties. Even after several documentaries have tried over the years to explain what the royals do when they aren't out in public, this perception seems to still be current that they aren't doing anything if someone hasn't taken a photo of it for us.
It seems like William's recent work for the Tusk Trust was overlooked in the media, which surprised me. I would have thought they'd jump on everything he did, but the only coverage I saw of his visits to the Dorset offices and the fundraiser events were on the Tusk website, and just one article.
Diana apparently did a lot of unseen visits to Centrepoint shelters, so claims their official site. When it was first announced that Prince William would be a Centrepoint patron a couple of years ago, I remember reading somewhere that claimed that Prince Charles was a quiet patron for them too. It is an interesting topic, the quiet unseen work done by royals.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Serene Highness

Another thing I noticed during the interview is how much more I think Harry resembles Diana. I know William has her nose and some other features but he's got a lot of Charles in him which shows the older he gets. Harry looks a lot like Phillip, but what blew me away during the interview is his childish grin that is identical to Diana's, as well as the way he tilts his head downward and to the side just like she did. Its something I never noticed before in pictures. I think its adorable.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:57 PM

Yes, Harry has many of Diana's expressions, but also William has her tendency for that classic almost coyish half-smile. William has a lot of both parents in his looks. Harry too has a lot of Prince philip and Lady Sarah McCorquodale. They're such muts.
Here's a small screen cap I made for you, both brothers. I love the ones where they are looking at each other. A few times during the interview, they exchanged looks, smiling. They have such a yin-and-yang relationship, so endearing. Like I said before, I'm a sucker for them. i admit it.
http://i15.tinypic.com/5yhenwi.jpg
Old 06-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Gentry

I loved the interview and yes I too was amazed at how much Harry reminded me of Diana. I am so glad they have each other and are so close. Diana always said there was a reason why she had 2 boys.

I wonder what the number 1 rated show on Dateline was?

Lily
Old 06-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

it's so nice to see how close they are.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
On MSNBC tomorrow (June 24th) they will be showing the William & Harry interview.
Correction- it will be shown on MSNBC today (June 24th) at 12pm & 9pm

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 06-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I can see lady Diana and prince Charles in both Princes. However, Prince Harry has more of her mother's gestures, while his elder brother has more of her mother's features, but less of her gestures.

Prince William's nose is certainly Lady Diana's one, and also her facial features. He looks as a classical handsome man, as his mother was a classical woman beauty. Prince Harry is different. He is a mix-up of Prince Charles and Lady Diana, but he is a childish kind of man, very agreeable too. Yes...I noticed in him, the same grin of his mother.

Vanesa.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I noticed that Matt Lauer did not refer to them as "Your Royal Highness" and "Sir." Maybe the young men indicated to him that would be acceptable (if so, I think that's a breath of fresh air -- remember how Prince Charles demanded his girlfriends call him "Sir"?). If not, they didn't seem ruffled by it.

I thought they were very charming, and it was fun to see them kid each other. And I was surprised that Harry talked so much. Usually it seems that he defers to William, or maybe that people tend to ask William more questions? I was also impressed that they both are so interested in Africa and the wellbeing of its people. I did notice that Harry did seem defensive when he was walking outside (he wrapped his arms around himself), but I'm not sure what they were discussing at the time. It had to have been hard to answer some of the questions, particularly about their mother.

And they both resemble their mother, although in different ways. William does have the downcast eyes, the blond hair and the wonderfully asymmetrical nose. Harry looks like Lady Sarah Spencer, with her more delicate bone structure, but when he's up to mischief his eyes look so much like Diana's.

I can't believe how old they are! I remember playing "royal baby" with my Chinese pug when I was awaiting William's birth (I'd pretend to be Diana posing with my baby for the photographers!). It got to the point that every time I said "royal baby" my little dog would run and hide!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

We didn't really learn anything we didn't already know. Besides the Ginger nickname. I am so proud of them and happy that they are ready to share their mother as they knew her.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I noticed that Matt Lauer did not refer to them as "Your Royal Highness" and "Sir." Maybe the young men indicated to him that would be acceptable (if so, I think that's a breath of fresh air -- remember how Prince Charles demanded his girlfriends call him "Sir"?). If not, they didn't seem ruffled by it.
Lauer might have addressed him diplomatically at first (off camera) and they cleared it up between them that they didn't want to be called by the formal addresses. I think the purpose of the interview to be a casual, conversational interaction made it apparent that casual references were preferable. On these things, I think one goes by what the signals are, and the princes clearly gave the signal that being casual was what they wanted. You could see it not just in their way of speaking, but also in their relaxed body language throughout the interview.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt View Post
We didn't really learn anything we didn't already know. Besides the Ginger nickname. I am so proud of them and happy that they are ready to share their mother as they knew her.
I thought the Ginger part was one of the funniest. Harry tries to downplay it and William interrupts and says "except that you are."

I thought they were both just adorable and the "filler" words do not come across as badly during the interview as in the transcripts. I use the work "like" alot myself.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Serene Highness

Is there a link to the Fearne Cotton interview?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Royal Highness

I have seen the two interviews with the Princes, and eeerh......, despite their impressive Etonian education both of them came over as superficial and shallow boyish men, with a limited vocabulary ('yeah you know' after almost every sentence) and it was the least 'royal' interview I have ever seen ("thank you chaps!" by the interviewer).

Especially Prince William really needs lessons in presenting himself and articulating words. I wished I have not seen the interviews anyway. They made the two Princes ranks the lowest in my esteem as 'best fit for the kingship' in comparison to all other royals.

Even the goofiest European Prince (the Duke of Brabant) makes a more intellectual impression. And that tells a lot!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

A friend of mine saw the interview and said she was pretty impressed with how they sounded.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
A friend of mine saw the interview and said she was pretty impressed with how they sounded.
An example: Prince William was asked what the best point of being a prince was, and all he came up with nothing more than "well eerh, you know, we live in this great house, surrounded by beautiful things ,you know'....

Pardon. What about the many opportunities they get as a Prince to meet people? What about focusing on world problems? What about contributing to society? What about continuing the monarchy, with their grandmother's excellent example and the immense heritage the Royal House represents?

It was a negative surprise for me that the Princes couldn't come up with a better answer. They should not portray themselves as plain ordinary lads as William Windsor and Harry Windsor. They both really need lessons vocal and personal presentation.

I wished I have not seen the interviews.

For an example: how goodnatured the Prince of Orange might be, how accessible he might seem to be, he is and remains The Prince of Orange. He has the same attitude as his mother (Princess Mxima has softened it a bit in the latest years): he can show a most 'unamused' face and freeze completely, even in front of 30 camera's and ignore the interviewer completely when he is addressed in a 'disrespectful manner'. An interviewer saying "thank you chap!" to Prince Willem-Alexander is simply un-imagineable.

That the Princess William and Harry allow it, maybe makes them more sympathetic than their Dutch colleague's picking attitude, but I think Prince Willem-Alexander realizes much better: where is the end? Will they adress me and my spouse as Alex and Mxi?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to agree with Henry M.
After watching the whole interview, I had very low opinion of it. It was interesting, sort of funny, with many jokes but not interview of the Princes.
I guess they did mean to sound like 'normal chaps' but I would hope they didn't forget they are not chaps, they are Princes of the United Kingdom. And that 'you know' really annoyed me, they repeated it a couple of times in every sentence. Prince William did especially poor job, in my opinion.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I didn't see the interview unfortunately. However, I was surprised at the different reaction my friend had to a lot of the royalty watchers.

She's pretty saavy as far as the media goes but doesn't know a lot about royalty.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm finding it hard to see something in this interview worth devaluing your opinion of the boys over. I really am. So they said "you know" a lot. Big deal. They're human, they may not be fully comfortable giving interviews and they stammered. If they came across snooty and posh-sounding, I'd have turned it off one syllable in. I get the feeling that's what some people wanted. Their use of "umm" and "you know" is better than the dead air some people give when they're trying to formulate their response. To me, that's more rude than saying "umm".

Royals should appear human, not robotic.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I'm finding it hard to see something in this interview worth devaluing your opinion of the boys over. I really am. So they said "you know" a lot. Big deal. They're human, they may not be fully comfortable giving interviews and they stammered. If they came across snooty and posh-sounding, I'd have turned it off one syllable in. I get the feeling that's what some people wanted. Their use of "umm" and "you know" is better than the dead air some people give when they're trying to formulate their response. To me, that's more rude than saying "umm".

Royals should appear human, not robotic.
Interesting opinion (which I respect very much) and some wonderful points.
However, with all due respect, Prince Charles, Princess Letizia, Princess Mary, Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince Felipe, Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Maxima, Princess Anne, Prince Frederik, Princess Mathilde..., not even speaking of the Monarchs and their spouses, all manage to sound and appear human, without sounding like people, who haven't ever seen the face of University or books. This goes for 'younger' Royals as well - Princess Madeline, Prince Carl-Philip, Casiraghis and others don't speak like that as well (on official functions, that is).

I'm not saying how they talked is not normal - I talk like that to my friend, but should I appear on the TV, I would make sure I talk properly, even if it did sound posh-sounding.

I know that most people say 'Royals should be like us' (which usually doesn't go far enough to accept they can drink, divorce or make other mistakes like us), but I think younger Royals should not forget they are Royals. What would be the point of the Institution of Monarchy, if Royals were exactly like us?

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!

Tags
diana princess of wales, interviews, prince harry, prince william, princess diana