William and Harry's Inheritance

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duchess

Royal Highness
City
xx
Country
Canada
I believe that Diana's will stated that the boys would come into their inheritances when they turned twenty five. Since William reached that age this past June he should have received his. Has anyone heard anything on the subject?

my mistake...he only just turned 23. sorry.

Duchess said:
I believe that Diana's will stated that the boys would come into their inheritances when they turned twenty five. Since William reached that age this past June he should have received his. Has anyone heard anything on the subject?

Actually, the will was later amended in the Courts so that William and Harry will receive their money in trust over time (mid-thirties).

William and Harry also have trust funds set up for them at birth by HM the Queen Mother and HM the Queen. Their Majesties set up funds for all their children, grandchildren, and great-granchildren (in the Queen Mum's case.)

William's trust funds will not be as large as Harry's or the other grandchildren since he is the heir to the throne. Even Diana gave Harry more of her money than William, knowing that he would be King.

tiaraprin said:
William and Harry also have trust funds set up for them at birth by HM the Queen Mother and HM the Queen. Their Majesties set up funds for all their children, grandchildren, and great-granchildren (in the Queen Mum's case.)

William's trust funds will not be as large as Harry's or the other grandchildren since he is the heir to the throne. Even Diana gave Harry more of her money than William, knowing that he would be King.

Not quite accurate. The Queen set up trust funds for each of her grandchildren, but not William or Harry. The Queen Mother's fortune, estimated at $10 million, was transferred into a trust while she was still living for the benefit of William and Harry in equal shares, from which they receive an income only. Once William becomes Duke of Cornwall and Charles becomes King, the trust automatically terminates and the remaining money is distributed in equal shares to the Queen Mother's living grandchildren or their heirs.

Diana's fortune, both what she received from the Queen in her divorce settlement ($26 million) as well as her inheritances from Earl Spencer and her maternal grandfather, the Baron Fermoy ($20 million), was left in equal shares to William and Harry. However, the Earl Spencer set up a trust for Harry after his birth, which is worth another $5 million, which he will inherit at the age of thirty.

there was something on tv about this issue.. it was called: The Fabulous live of the Princes William and Harry

I wonder if the boys have inherit all their mother's accessories and jewelries..I have read in a magazine that the sapphire and diamond engagement ring of Lady Diana to Prince Charles was inherited by William..I also read somewhere that Prince Harry has more inheritance ( from Diana,Queen Mother) than her brother Wills since William is the heir to throne after his father and will inherit loads of royal properties and money in the future..Pls.correct me if I'm wrong or if it is only a rumour..I'm open for some clarifications.. ;)

Last edited:
Mahoogle, I believe that you are basically correct. William and Harry were each allowed to take things of their mother's after her death and I have heard that William claimed the engagement ring. Most of the rest of her stuff went to her brother (except for the stuff taken by Burrell) and each of her godchildren were able to take one momento as well.

The tradition is that the heir to the throne and others in direct line of succession i.e. Charles and William, have less left to them in the wills of their ancestors as they will inherit the throne and the right to use the income of the Duchy of Lancaster as monarch and Duchy of Cornwall as heir to the throne (that doesn't apply automatically to a female heir however). Therefore Charles will get less personally from his mother and grandparents as will William.

When Edward VIII abdicated one of the sticking points was over the respective inheritances of Edward and his brother Albert (George VI). They had to sort out what Edward was to have as his inheritance from his father was so much less than his brother who was not expected to get the throne. I am not sure how they solved that. Maybe some others can remind me as I have simply forgotten.

chrissy57 said:
Mahoogle, I believe that you are basically correct...
Chrissy thanks for your confirmation to my statement and thanks for sharing some interesting points about royal inheritances.. ;) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke of Windsor - Financial Settlement

chrissy57 said:
When Edward VIII abdicated one of the sticking points was over the respective inheritances of Edward and his brother Albert (George VI). I am not sure how they solved that. Maybe some others can remind me as I have simply forgotten.
Sources: "Wallis - Secret Lives of the Duchess of Windsor" by Charles Higham;
"The Secret File of the Duke of Windsor" by Michael Bloch.

The new King joined the family at Sandringham for the reading of George V's will just days after his death, and before the funeral. To his horror he was not included. Clause after clause was read out, and every few minutes he would interject an anguished "Where do I come in?" The royal solicitor was obliged to say that he did not. It was presumed that he had built up a substantial sum from the Duchy of Cornwall. The King was beside himself with rage. He exclaimed "My brothers and sister have all this money and I have nothing!" At that time (1936) he had amassed from the Duchy an estimated £1 million worth of investments and property (the equivalent of over £20 million in 1988 values). Plus he had inherited the life interest in Sandringham and Balmoral.

On the morning of the Abdication the King held a meeting with his brother the Duke of York and advisers to discuss his financial future. It was suggested the King return Sandringham and Balmoral to his brother. However, he did not prove to be cooperative. Instead he would compel his brother to pay him £25,000 a year (equivalent to £500,000 pa in 1988 values) in return for releasing the two houses.

The King (still Edward VIII) was displeased. The news that he would not henceforth receive the income from the Duchy of Cornwall was a matter of great distress to him. He had apparently forgotten that an abdicated monarch was not entitled to that income.

Acrimonious negotiations dragged on for some time and the Duke of Windsor refused to release the two houses until he was paid up front, or received an income via the Civil List. The latter proposal was vetoed by the Prime Minister, Stanley Baldwin, and the King gave a personal obligation that he would take care of the Duke's income of £25,000 pa (less £4,000 for disabled staff at the houses, leaving £21,000 net).

The final settlement, made in February 1938, involved the King paying £300,000, being the value of the private royal estates, to trustees who invested it in British Government War Loan stock. The income from this was £10,000pa. The King put in the rest, ie £11,000, to make up the agreed annual income for the Duke of £21,000, on condition the Duke of Windsor did not come to or remain in England without the approval of the government.

The Duke wrote to his solicitor "After the insulting way I have been handled, I feel neither grateful, appreciative nor relieved." The Duke also complained in vain to the tax commisisoner about having to pay tax on the income from his British investments, and for years continued to pester the King for more money, with no success.

Thanks Warren. I knew there was trouble over the money issue but didn't know, or remember, the details.

i agree with warren!

but im sure about William and Harry would receive money from his mother when she died in 1997 but she had kept very important jewerly when William and Harry getting married in one day and Kate and Chelsy would wores Diana's or Kate would wores Diana's jewerly or Chelsy would let using Diana's we have wait and see what happened and also tiara also

Sara Boyce

Wow, Harry's better off than I had anticipated.

I do believe diana's jewerly is being held in trust by Earl Spencer, until they marry. Then it will be used by thier wifes. The spencers received very little, so when the boys move out on thier own they probley take back most of her belongings as its only being held in trust like the jewerly.

There is a website which has most of the will on it, wether it is reliable I don't know. I will try and find it.

try : www.geocities.com/wellesley/6226/ it should take you to Protrait of a Lady, then scroll down and it will have Diana's Will and other information about Diana. If you press Diana's Will, it will take you to another page Then scroll down then press the link and there you are. I used this link so you could look at the other stuff about Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no clue that Lady Sarah is actually Lady Elizabeth Sarah Lavinia. I was just looking at CATS' llink to Portrait of a Lady and then Diana's will.

I wonder why the Spencers chose not to call her Elizabeth.

i always heard that harry is going to get more money than william and that was from a representative of the royal family

It makes sense for Harry to inherit more. After all, William is expected at some point to have the revenues from Cornwall (and all the income that comes to the current Prince of Wales) and eventually the revenues paid to the monarch.

they're trust funds

Hey does anyone know how many trust funds the young prince's have? are they offered to them now, or will they have to wait until they are older or when they get married to get access to them? I've recently been reading on rich kids and there trust funds, so I wondered about Harry's and Will's.

hey, I don't know much about this subject, but I do know a little.
From what I know the boy's will have on they will inherit when they are 25. They will also recieve one when they are 30. They have them from the queen mother, the queen, and there mother Princess Diana.

Their. Sorry, anyway I know that William will inherit less money from his mother than Harry because William will be king.

that correct,regardez

Prince William will get money from his mother the Princess Diana because he will getting funds what he needs for like fundraiser of mother,polo,etc.because he will become King of England one days

I believe the Queen Mother left Harry either a bigger trust or a special trust when she died because he won't be king.

Edit: Whoa, I got that completely wrong. I looked it up and it turns out the Queen Mum (allegedly) left both William and Harry with barely anything.

Apologies for the confusion!

Last edited:
really? they must be getting tons from other people then, if she didn't leave them much? could you give me the link to where you got the info from? thanx.

It may be a good idea to do some research before posting so that we don't end up with a series of contradictory posts.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

I am merging this thread with the existing "William and Harry's Inheritance" thread.
Quite possibly the question of their trust funds has already been answered.

Back
Top Bottom