The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I've been hunting around for the particulars but some of the old links have changed. This article suggests they were each left £6.5, plus interest, to take on turning 25, but only to have interest only on that sum till they turn 30, when they take the principal too. Seems William has an income of about £300,000 plus his other income.

Prince Harry inherits millions as hits 25 - world | Stuff.co.nz
This was my understanding as well.
I think it was wise for them to arrange it this way since 30 is a good age (more mature) for them to receive all of their inheritance as they're more likely to handle it properly and responsibly at that age.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana's Will was varied substantially by court orders in December 1997, in fact not much of the Will was left. The links I posted at Post #36 above no longer work, but I found the Will and Orders and even the Schedule of Attachments elsewhere:

Diana's will part2

The orders delete Clauses 4 to 7 inclusive of the Will and also Clause 10 and the Schedule, and replace them with other provisions which include discretionary trusts for William and Harry and there is a lot of talk about intellectual property rights. The Orders still provide for William and Harry to take at 25, so the author of that article about Harry seems to have been misinformed.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Majesty

I seem to remember that as William approached 25 there was a further change to the arrangements so that at 25 they only got the interest and access to the principal at 30. I can't find a reference to it but I remember it being discussed.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've just tried to read those Orders again. It's a long document and the provisions are complicated and I haven't completely conquered them and am not going to try further right now. There is a provision in there (Clause 8(6)(c)) which essentially states that once William and Harry are 30 the Trustees are bound to comply with their wishes regarding their interest in Diana's residuary estate. It's not as simple as income only till 30 and capital thereafter though, because there are provisions for capital to be applied for the beneficiary's benefit after 25. That's enough for now though; it's giving me a headache.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Prince William in line for £10m payout from Diana's estate as he turns 30 | Mail Online

Prince William in line for £10m payout from Diana's estate as he turns 30

Prince William is set for a multi-million pound windfall next month - paving the way for him and Kate to buy their first home. For William will become the first of Diana’s children to be able to take a lump sum out of his late mother’s will when he reaches 30. He could be entitled to over £10m when he reaches the milestone on June 21.

William can also vary his mother’s will to allow brother Harry a greater share of the capital - in recognition that William will one day inherit the income from the Duchy of Cornwall when his father becomes king. Diana left a net estate of £12,966,022 after inheritance tax of £8,502,330 was deducted. It is widely believed that with shrewd investment the fund has grown to around £20m.

Her estate comprised stocks and shares, jewellery, cash from her £17million divorce settlement, dresses and other personal belongings at her Kensington Palace apartment. Diana stipulated that it would be held in trust to be shared equally between her two sons, even though William will inherit income from the Duchy of Cornwall estate when he becomes Prince of Wales. With wise investment by the trustees - which include her sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale - the fund will have soared.

In her original will, drawn up in 1993, the princess had stipulated that both princes would be entitled to their entire share of the capital on reaching 25. But details of the will were changed by a variation order granted by the High Court on Dec 19 1997 - three months after her premature death in a Paris car crash. In a highly unusual move, the executors made both her original will and the new one public.

The key changes, which were designed to protect the then young princes, included a clause that raised the age at which they could ask for the capital in full to 30. The changes also ensured that the princes were only allowed small amounts of the income - the interest accrued - at the discretion of the trustees before their 25th birthdays. But, on reaching 25, both could receive the full amount of income without any restraint from the trustees. The variations to the princess’s will also stated that her wedding dress, wardrobe and intellectual property rights - including copyright, trademarks and royalties from the use of her pictures and name - can be used for charity and also for the future benefit of her sons. Provision was also made to allow the princes, if they both wished, to vary the division of capital between them - perhaps to compensate Prince Harry in view of the many millions each year his brother can expect to draw from the Duchy of Cornwall. It is not known if they have done this.

William, who earns about £40,000-a-year as an RAF search-and-rescue pilot, already receives an allowance from his father, Prince Charles, and can draw on money, believed to be about £2 million, left in trust by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

A spokesman for Clarence House said: 'It is a private matter.'
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't get why there are variations to her original will.
Surely any changes should be between William and Harry, and not a matter for the courts?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't get why there are variations to her original will.
Surely any changes should be between William and Harry, and not a matter for the courts?
Changes regarding the percentage of the inheritance each brother are to get are entirely up to them. Although in theory both William and Harry are supposed to receive equal portions of Diana's inheritance, they can alter that in any way they'll find fit. In practice, the only likely change is to give Harry a somewhat larger part of their mother's estate since William will get access to considerable fortune once he becomes heir (apparent) to the throne.

What was changed in courts was the age threshold. Initially, William and Harry were supposed to gain full access to Diana's estate upon reaching their 25th birthday. However, the executors of her will request a court hearing in 1997 whereby a decision was made to allow William and Harry access to interests from the estate on their 25th birthday, with full access on their 30th. The decision, though somewhat unusual, was made taking into account the interests of (then) infant beneficiaries. It was unanimously agreed on by all executers of Diana's will, and was not contested by any member of William and Harry's family. Had it been contested by any close relative (Prince Charles, for example), it is unlikely the court would approve the changes.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
...snipped...
In a highly unusual move, the executors made both her original will and the new one public..
Why is it supposed to be unusual? I was under the impression that all British wills, apart from those of members of the Royal Family, are made public. Diana was not a member of the royal family at the time of her death; ergo, her will was in public domain. Or were there some special circumstances I am not aware of?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope that Prince Harry has in his inheritance some jewellery of his mother to give it to his future wife. It would be IMO unfair if not, because The Duchess of Cambridge wears the engagement ring of her mother-in-law.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
I hope that Prince Harry has in his inheritance some jewellery of his mother to give it to his future wife. It would be IMO unfair if not, because The Duchess of Cambridge wears the engagement ring of her mother-in-law.
I read that he got her cartier tank watch.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa
Harry is believed to have got all the jewellery and it was an agreement between the brothers that whoever got engaged first gave the new fiancée the ring.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Serene Highness

Those boys, I mean men now, seem so close that I doubt one will do anything to hurt or seriously effect the other. I remember reading somewhere that Harry actually had Diana's ring but gave it to William so he could give it to Kate. Regardless of whom had it, I like that the first one to get engaged would recieve it. It seems to me that William is very aware of Harry's feelings and I have never seen him do anything to hurt his brother. As they have stated in many interviews and articles, they are the only two who have their shared history so their bond is a very close one. Which I am so thankful of, and to be honest, not certain that it would of been the case had Diana lived, but we will never know but I am so thankful they have each other!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Harry is believed to have got all the jewellery and it was an agreement between the brothers that whoever got engaged first gave the new fiancée the ring.

If that is the case, I wonder if the sapphire earrings were a wedding gift from Harry to his new sister.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM

There' something mentioned about the jewellery on this website as well (no idea how reliable this information is though):

Quote:
" ...Four months after the funeral, it was Burrell who opened the black front door to Kensington Palace and welcomed the boys for one last walk through the apartments (...) they walked from room to room, picking out mementos to take with them to their new rooms at St. James's Palace. Among other things, William chose the Cartier Tank watch that the Princess always wore - a gift from her father, the eight Earl Spencer. Harry picked out the sapphire-and-diamond engagement ring given by Charles to the blushing "Shy Di" when she was just 19."
- Diana's Rings
Old 06-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
There' something mentioned about the jewellery on this website as well (no idea how reliable this information is though):

- Diana's Rings

William said in on of the interviews - I thought it was his engagement interview- that he asked Harry if he could give the ring to Kate. I interpreted that to mean Harry had the ring.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Aristocracy

My understanding was that Harry got the ring and I believe it was whoever got engaged first could use the ring if they would like to.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:03 PM

That's exactly what the quote I posted says!

Quote:
Harry picked out the sapphire-and-diamond engagement ring.
We all agree then
Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 AM

It's not up too me, but I'm quite sure they'll both be pleased. Other than that they're brothers, in this day and age if either or need help with anything. They'll both be at each others aid in a heartbeat their in good hands.

Tags
diana princess of wales, inheritance, legacy, prince harry, prince william, princess diana