The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I dont know if I'd describe H as decadent. He has gainful emloyment in the Army. I would think that many young people in the armed forces go out on their nights off.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure that many of them pay £2000+ each time.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the information Marsel. I understand now they only have access to the interest that's generated until they reach 30.
I think it was wise of them to spread it out instead of giving it all to them at such a young age. Let's face it a 21 year old is more likely to spend it unwisely than say a 30 year old who's thinking more of the future than just the here and now.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I'm glad that provisions have been made for Harry. We all know that it's been difficult for Andrew and Edward (and even Viscount Linley) to set up careers for themselves that allow them to make enough money to live in the style to which they are accustomed. And Harry won't make a fortune on his own if he pursues a real career in the military.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm surprised that Diana's will was released to the public. I thought the royal family didn't publicize private wills.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Courtier

You are most welcome, rchat and cd255.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am sure that is why I remember reading it.

The executors had to get permission to put the stipulations on the when and how the princes were to get the money and I seem to remember that there was a change at some point as well.

It was in the papers when things happened.
You are correct; executors did make some chances to the conditions of Diana's will.
Initially, Diana's will (as seen in the link you posted) was straightforward: she simply left everything, apart from few personal bequests, to William and Harry, who were to gain full access to the estate on their 25th birthdays. However, after her death, the executors requested and were granted the right to make changes (in December 1997), on the grounds the changes were in the infant beneficiaries' interests. That's when it was ruled that William and Harry will start receiving only interests on their 25th birthdays, with the right of full access to the estate on their 30th birthday.

Incidentally, William and Harry are to inherit not only the money Diana got from her divorce settlement, but also the money left to Diana by Baroness Fermoy and Lord Spencer (which would amount to another £6-8 million). Which rather means that upon their 30th birthday, William and Harry will inherit around £11-12 million each from their mother's will-only.
Add the money left to them in the Queen Mother's trust funds (£14 million) and the trust fund the Earl Spencer (Diana's father) set up for Harry (but not William), which Harry will gain access to upon his 30th birthday (apparently, worth some £3 million): it does look like both William and Harry are quite well-provided for their future.

And that's of course without the inheritance they will receive from the Queen, Prince Charles and, probably, Prince Philip (although I would imagine the Queen and Prince Philip at least will be more concerned for the well-being of their other children and grandchildren, as William and Harry will inherit a rather impressive fortune from their father).
Old 09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta View Post
They have protection officers no matter where they go. The public criticizes the RF no matter what, but maybe we're off-topic.

I'm surprised that Diana's will was released to the public. I thought the royal family didn't publicize private wills.

Diana was a different category when she died and her will and other matters were also different.

Some things simply didn't apply to her after her divorce.

She was regarded as a member of the RF at times due to being William's mother but not at other times or for other purposes as she was divorced from Charles.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Marsel you are a bucket of information!

What are your sources for the money from Lady Fermoy and the Earl of Spencer. And when you say Lord Spencer, who are you referring to? Are you talking about Dianas Spencer grandfather?

I would also imagine that Frances Shand Kydd had some money as well.

In regards to the publication of Diana's will, does it matter that she was or not a member of the Royal Family? Are all British wills available to the public? Not sure if that is the case in the States.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Courtier

Thank you, Zonk.

As a teenager, Diana received an inheritance from her great-grandmother, Frances Ellen Work, Baroness Fermoy (not Lady Fermoy - I have corrected the wrong title in my post: Frances Work was Diana's American heiress great-grandmother): the inheritance included £100,000 in cash (part of which was used to buy her a flat in London upon her 18th birthday) and a trust fund, which was presumably worth about than £2-3 million at the time of Diana death, although its worth has probably increased over the last 12 years
Note: at the time Diana received the inheritance, the fund was of course worth considerably less - as one of Frances Work's youngest female great-grandchildren, Diana got one of the smallest shares, however Diana didn't really spend much of the money before her engagement and certainly very little after it.

John Spencer had set trust funds for all his grandchildren (born at the time of his death), with the (possible) exception of Prince William.

I'm not sure about Frances Shand Kydd's money or what she chose to do with them.

My sources can probably be described as ‘general knowledge’ about the issue in question. I am 100% certain of the information concerning Harry's trust fund set by Earl Spencer, and almost certain concerning the money Frances Work left to Diana. Nevertheless, I'll find credible sources to back the claims.

Quote:
In regards to the publication of Diana's will, does it matter that she was or not a member of the Royal Family? Are all British wills available to the public? Not sure if that is the case in the States.
All British wills are available to public. The only exceptions are the wills of members of the Royal Family whose wills are private (although that can change soon). Royal wills have been sealed since Queen Mary (of Teck) requested the courts not to disclose the contents of her brother’s will, who had left the family’s Cambridge emeralds to his mistress, Lady Kilmorey (Mary later purchased the emeralds from Lady Kilmorey many times the price of their actual value).
As Diana was no longer a de facto member of the Royal Family after her divorce, her will was to be made public.
I suppose if the Royal Family really wanted to keep the will private, they could have achieved it, however there didn't seem to be any need for it.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin View Post
William and Harry also have trust funds set up for them at birth by HM the Queen Mother and HM the Queen. Their Majesties set up funds for all their children, grandchildren, and great-granchildren (in the Queen Mum's case.)

William's trust funds will not be as large as Harry's or the other grandchildren since he is the heir to the throne. Even Diana gave Harry more of her money than William, knowing that he would be King.
How do you know this? Have you been reading another newspaper or just her will?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich1 View Post
How do you know this? Have you been reading another newspaper or just her will?

This sort of information is general knowledge as it has been the practice within the royal family for generations - the monarch provides for the younger children through trust funds as the eldest will get the throne and the income associated with that.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
All British wills are available to public. The only exceptions are the wills of members of the Royal Family whose wills are private (although that can change soon).
I've also heard that they might start making Royal wills available to the public. It'll be interesting to see if they do.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57 View Post
William and Harry were each allowed to take things of their mother's after her death and I have heard that William claimed the engagement ring. Most of the rest of her stuff went to her brother (except for the stuff taken by Burrell) and each of her godchildren were able to take one momento as well.
Ingrid Seward and Christopher Anderson wrote in their books was Harry take engagement ring and William take cartier watch given to Diana by her father Earl Spencer.

diana william harry engagement cartier - Pesquisa Google=
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

He receives his Royal Air Force salary and is otherwise supported by his father (income from the Duchy of Cornwall) and the income from various trusts.
He receives no "allowance" from the government.

Doesn't he have $ from his mother as well?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Doesn't he have $ from his mother as well?
He will have been left something I can imagine from his mother, possible not alot seeing as he will one day inherit the crown.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
He will have been left something I can imagine from his mother, possible not alot seeing as he will one day inherit the crown.

He definitly inherited a lot of money from Diana-and he collected on his 25th birthday I think.....
Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

£6.5 million the boys got.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
£6.5 million the boys got.
I've been hunting around for the particulars but some of the old links have changed. This article suggests they were each left £6.5, plus interest, to take on turning 25, but only to have interest only on that sum till they turn 30, when they take the principal too. Seems William has an income of about £300,000 plus his other income.

Prince Harry inherits millions as hits 25 - world | Stuff.co.nz

Oddly enough, this has made me think more about the engagement ring. Though William could afford to buy Kate her own ring, he did have that very expensive sapphire and diamond hanging around gathering dust so it was probably a sound financial decision to recycle it for Kate if she was happy to have it. One of her roles after the wedding will be to give that ring a new life and fill it with happy memories so that one day we will think of it as her ring, which once belonged to William's mother. During her life, Kate be wearing lots of other hand-me-down jewellery; it's part of her new role. The far more important ring will be the wedding ring, which will be hers alone.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This was where I found the information.
Prince Harry set to inherit millions from Diana's estate - News, People - The Independent
Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

You can read the full text here:

Dianas Will The full text - CNN

Tags
diana princess of wales, inheritance, legacy, prince harry, prince william, princess diana