The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Royal wedding: Matchmaker Sam Waley-Cohen says William and Kate got themselves back together | Mail Online

Old 05-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hmm, how did I miss Bella's hat at the wedding?
It's not the equivalent of the York girls' toppers, but it is quite eye-catching in its own right.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

I noticed that lately prince Harry seems to a be acompanied a lot by Jake Warren, and he even went with the family on holidays to Mallorca. I didn't know they were such good friends... I know Jake's sister, Susanna, used to date Guy Pelly, who is good friend of Harry and William. Anyone has more informations about the Warrens?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Prince Harry's friend Arthur Landon who was with him in Vegas attacks 'despicable girl' who sold naked photos | Mail Online

MailOnline 25 August 2012

This story is about Harry's (and William's) friend Arthur Landon (who was with Harry in Vegas), described as "one of Britain's richest young men with an estimated £200 million fortune". [£200m = US$316m, €253m, Aus$304m, NZ$390m, CAD$314m, AED 1.161m]

I'm posting this because of Arthur's interesting family history. His late father was a military man who loved the Arab world and became a close and trusted associate of Sultan Qaboos of Oman. He assisted in the coup staged by Qaboos against his reactionary father and benefited financially from the opening up of Oman and the modernising of the country that took place under the new Sultan. Hence the family fortune.

What is more interesting from this Forum's perspective is that Arthur's mother, Katalina, was born an HSH Princess of Esterházy de Galantha. Immaculate pedigree, of the Hungarian family whose estates in what is now Austria, Slovakia and Hungary made them the largest landowners in the Habsburg Empire, with wealth to match. This branch of the family were raised to the rank of Princes of the Holy [Roman] Empire in 1687.

Both Arthur and his mother were guests at William's wedding and sat in the area bookended by the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland at one end, and the van Cutsems and Harry and Laura Lopes at the other.

-> see here in a Telegraph article titled "Royal Wedding: the royal couple's real friends".
Old 08-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Inability of rich people to protect themselves from an invasion of privacy and various awkward situations is perplexing. They are well-aware that people will take advantage of these controversial situations. On a different note, Mr. Landon's pedigree is impressive.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Courtier

I'm really surprised his friend spoke to the press at all. It's a little fame-whorey, but apparently he wants to be in films.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I'm really surprised his friend spoke to the press at all. It's a little fame-whorey, but apparently he wants to be in films.
Judging by the contents of this friend's suitcase, it may have been better to keep quiet. He's only adding more fuel to the fire, and making some of us wonder what kinds of people Harry likes to spend time with. We have a saying in Russia; 'tell me who your friends are, and I'll tell you who you are', and I think in this case, it is more than appropriate. Again, my opinion only of course.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I think it's easy to be discreet when things are going well, less so when all hell has broken loose and emotions start to override common sense.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Serene Highness

Wow Daria, I like that saying. It is so true I believe.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle
Wow Daria, I like that saying. It is so true I believe.
Glad you like it. Very few realize just how true it is. Like attracts like almost always, so people are drawn to those that reflect their values, interests, etc. Henry's no different, and it shows.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Serene Highness

Thats so true. Its similar to the saying " birds of a feather flock together ".
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Prince Harry's friend Arthur Landon who was with him in Vegas attacks 'despicable girl' who sold naked photos | Mail Online

MailOnline 25 August 2012

This story is about Harry's (and William's) friend Arthur Landon (who was with Harry in Vegas),
What a load of, pardon me, bull dust!

Where was Arthur Landon when Harry got too much to drink? Why didn't he grab Harry by the collarbone and say: "Okay Harry, you're on cola for the rest of the evening"?
Some friend.....
Old 08-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
What a load of, pardon me, bull dust!

Where was Arthur Landon when Harry got too much to drink? Why didn't he grab Harry by the collarbone and say: "Okay Harry, you're on cola for the rest of the evening"?
Some friend.....
Probably because he was not exactly sober himself .

Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Majesty

Prince William and Harry's grief for their nanny Olga Powell after she died of heart attack aged 82 - Mirror Online
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Aristocracy

Olga Powell was part of long tradition of favourite royal nannies being treated as honorary members of the family

The Royal Nanny: Prince William and Prince Harry Mourn Olga Powell | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynHarris View Post
Olga Powell was part of long tradition of favourite royal nannies being treated as honorary members of the family

The Royal Nanny: Prince William and Prince Harry Mourn Olga Powell | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
That was a great read! Thanks for sharing the link.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's really a good read, Carolyn. It's amazing how she cared for them so much to the point of writing to Harry in Afghanistan
Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just an FYI - but since none of the press I found mentioned it, I was determined to find out if Nanny Powell had ever been granted any honours. She had - an RVM in 2000.

BBC NEWS | In Depth | Birthday Honours 2000 | Royal Victorian Order and Medals
Old 10-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Courtier

Can someone explain what all the letters stand for in that article.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

KCVO - Knight Commander of Royal Victorian Order (second highest grade of Royal Victorian Order) *
CVO - Commander of Royal Victorian Order (third highest grade of Royal Victorian Order)
LVO - Lieutenant of Royal Victorian Order (third lowest grade of Royal Victorian Order)
MVO - Member of Royal Victorian Order (second lowest grade of Royal Victorian Order)
RVM
- Royal Victorian Medal (lowest grade of Royal Victorian Order)

CBE - Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
DSO
- Distinguished Service Order
BEM
- British Empire Medal
Hon - Honourable

Grades of Royal Victorian Order are (in decreasing order):
GCVO - Knight/Dame Grand Cross
KCVO/DCVO - Knight/Dame Commander
CVO - Commander
LVO - Lieutenant
MVO - Member