The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William at St Andrews

i thought it would be nice to have a thread for the pictures taken during william's time at university in st andrews, scotland.

here's a couple i quite enjoyed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/3...rass_pa300.jpg
http://www.surfersvillage.com/gal/pi...4_gall2_07.jpg
http://noahhunt.org/PrinceWilliam/groceries.jpg
http://www.geog.ucsb.edu/img/news/20...0in%20geog.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/3...william8pa.jpg
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/cont...1026152219.jpg
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/200...01pwilliam.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/155500...mnewtwo300.jpg

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
How many members of royal families have lived outside their native countries except for exile or marrying a foreign royal? I can't think of any who've done so permanently, although some do for education.
I can't think of any except like you said to go to school. In fact I think most of the European princes have gone to school for at least part of their education outside of their country. William and Harry are the only princes who have had their entire education within their country. Personally I think it's a good experience to go to school abroad to learn about another culture/language and leave your comfort zone. Maybe Wm & Harry's children will be allowed to do this?

I think it would be odd for Prince Harry to live permanently in another country though unless the Queen gave him a reason to such as serving that country in some capacity.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Majesty

I have always thought it strange that neither William nor Harry had any education abroad, particularly as all three of the Queen's sons did so - Charles to Australia, Andrew in Canada and Edward in New Zealand (although not actually while still at school but more as a house tutor at a boarding school).
Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Charles' higher education seemed to be a little politicised. I really doubt that he independently chose to spend that token term studying in Wales before his investiture. I wonder if maybe he and his brothers were dispatched to spread across the Queen's largest realms the honour of having a member of the royal family study at a local school.

If that was the case, I can see why Charles might have wanted to avoid pressuring his sons into that.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the personal lives of the Princes parents would have left them very exposed. Could you imagine what it would have been like if the kids had been at school in another country at the time of Diana's death? It would have been past unbearable and an absolute nightmare getting them home again.

Also, I think the family history and the degree of protection they would have required as a result is what kept them home during their secondary schooling and William's choice of University.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Charles' higher education seemed to be a little politicised...
I was referring to Charles two terms in Australia - which he described as the best times of his school life.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Majesty

Considering the ages William and Harry were at the time of Diana's death they wouldn't have been overseas anyway.
Charles, Andrew and Edward were older than William was. Why would it have been a nightmare to put them on a plane and land in London - something they had to do anyway from Scotland?

Had they been at school in the northern hemisphere at that time (and as I said their ages would have seen them as being too young) they would have been exactly where they were when she died - Balmoral - as northern hemisphere schools are on holidays in August.

William went to Chile after school and would have needed just as much security so why not have gone to a school somewhere else a year or two earlier?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
They wouldn't of been abroad for Diana's death, they would've been too young.
He and Harry could've gone presumably after there english university traning or after college.
I think they should've gone to school, even for a little bit, somewhere abroad.

Harry never went to uni. Harry had a gap nearly two years after school.

William had a gap year both after school and again after uni.

Since their years off they have been training in the army or airforce, with Harry spending a short tour in Afghanistan.

The time to go was after GCSEs or after school to go to school but they didn't. Maybe too they wouldn't want to go to a school where they didn't speak the language meaning they would really have to go to school in an English speaking country, meaning the US or a Commonwealth country where republicanism is on the rise. For William the ideal year would have been during 1999 for instance during the republican referendum debate in Australia, ruling out that country so it could have been political considerations playing a part as well. To go to the US over say Canada or Australia or NZ would be seen as potentially sending the wrong message about the future of those countries as ones with the Queen as Queen.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

You know, i do know these things. But thank you for reminding me.
The comment about university was dedicated to William, and the college part was dedicated to both. I saw little use in splitting the comment up, and presumed that people would know that Harry didn't go to a english university.

I disagree with you, I think William should've gone after his education at St Andrews and he should've gone to a place in the commonwealth. The problem with the USA, there education is quite different to ours.
I understand that Harry didn't go to a english university, so i see little thought behind him going to a foreign university.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The problem with the USA, there education is quite different to ours.
I understand that Harry didn't go to a english university, so i see little thought behind him going to a foreign university.
How's the education different? Because of the history or just the universities in general?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that Andrew enjoyed his time at school in Canada. He has an ongoing relationship with the school and returns often unofficially. He probably had some homesickness at first, which would have been normal.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
How's the education different? Because of the history or just the universities in general?
Just the universities in general.
The education would be different in every country.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Just the universities in general.
The education would be different in every country.
Okay, I get what you mean now.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

William could have done an internship somewhere after finishing school. For example he could've worked on Wall Street to learn about the world economy or the U.N.N. in New York City or somewhere else just to get some kind of "worldly" education and experience.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
William could have done an internship somewhere after finishing school. For example he could've worked on Wall Street to learn about the world economy or the U.N.N. in New York City or somewhere else just to get some kind of "worldly" education and experience.

He did do some of that - but in London.

Tags
armed services, education, graduation, prince william, university