The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Administrator

I think prior to WWII a lot of the British Royals had intermarried and developed relationships with other European royals. The BRF is related to European royals but the relations were a little more closer prior to WWII. At some point George V niece Ena married into the Spanish Family, his sister Maud became Queen of Norway, another great neice Margaret (mother of Queen Ingrid) had already married into the Swedish family, when she died her cousin Louise married her widower. George's cousin Marie was Queen of Romania, his cousin the Kaiser was ruling Germany, and another cousin had already died in Russia. Margaret's daughter Ingrid (mother of Margrethe II)married into the Danish Family. I hope I got the familiar relations correct. So everyone really was related. There is a picture of Edward VIII when he was Prince of Wales at the Fort, and in the picture are Dickie Mountbatten, Princess Ingrid of Sweden and Prince Gustav Adolf and Princess Syblla of Sweden (they are the current King's parents). So they all socialized together and didn't just meet up at weddings and funerals.

But time moves on and people sadly die. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother had great relations with the Norwegian, Dutch, Danish and Swedish families. The late Queen Ingrid I believe was Princess Margare's godmother, and was one of the few European royals who attended Margaret's wedding. Queen Elizabeth II has decent relationships with them but is not like the past. I think the people who have decent relationships with the European royals nowadays are Charles, Edward and Sophie. They are the ones who have had the opportunity to mix with them of late. It will happen for William and Harry its just not their time yet. And really, the generations are off. The younger European Royals (with the exception of the Swedes) are pretty much ten years older than William and Harry...and a good 20 years younger than Charles. Edward and Sophie are a good mix in between the ages.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder whether the BRF has common interests with those in Europe's royal families in terms of hobbies and other enjoyments? If people don't have much in common, it's hard to sustain relationships over the long term--even if the people concerned are HRHs and HMs.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think prior to WWII a lot of the British Royals had intermarried and developed relationships with other European royals. The BRF is related to European royals but the relations were a little more closer prior to WWII. At some point George V niece Ena married into the Spanish Family, his sister Maud became Queen of Norway, another great neice Margaret (mother of Queen Ingrid) had already married into the Swedish family, when she died her cousin Louise married her widower. George's cousin Marie was Queen of Romania, his cousin the Kaiser was ruling Germany, and another cousin had already died in Russia. Margaret's daughter Ingrid (mother of Margrethe II)married into the Danish Family. I hope I got the familiar relations correct. So everyone really was related.

Most of these weddings etc though took place before WWI, even if they continued past the end of that war and that war really saw the end of the British Royals connecting besides the odd friendship or so - the parents might have still seen their relatives but encouraged the children to associate more with British people of their generation rather than take holidays in European courts etc and thus the ties weren't there.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Serene Highness

If the children don't see their cousins or distant relatives very often, then the relationship once the parent or grandparent dies, becomes more distant or non-existent. I can see how this happens in families because this has happened in my own family. There are some people in my family (distant cousins and distant relatives) that I've never met. I only know what my mother and grandmother told me about these people. Because many of these individuals were shattered across the United States, the ties were just not there.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think there may be a lingering alienation factor that has not dissapated from the BRF having to distance themselves from their German relatives during the period before WWI.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Aristocracy

This topic is fascinating. I didn't realize the various European Royal families didn't really associate with one another anymore. I would have thought that they did, given that most are distantly related to each other (or were, through Queen Victoria).

Which brings me to my next thought: I wonder if they are fascinated with each other they way we are with them. For example, when Prince William and Prince Harry (presumably) look at photo albums where they see their mother meeting Princess Grace, I wonder if they think "OMG! Our parents met Grace Kelly!" (Well, they do seem to get starstruck where pop stars are concerned, so it wouldn't be too farfetched to imagine the guys being awed over Princess Grace.)

Or, if they ever wish they could live like other royal live. I hadn't realized until I read this topic that there is a difference between the English aristocrats vs. the Monaco jetsetters. It's the high life for both, but one is definitely more ...frivolous...than the other. I wonder if Princes William and Harry have ever wished they could be more like the Casiraghis...or conversely haven an even more low-key like the Luxemburg royals.

I do agree with others in this topic though: since only royals know what is like to be royal, they could and should all use each other as a good support system. And, yes, they do have their parents and extended families..but sometimes you just need that friend to go to. It's a shame they don't.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordeliaFitzgerald View Post
This topic is fascinating. I didn't realize the various European Royal families didn't really associate with one another anymore. I would have thought that they did, given that most are distantly related to each other (or were, through Queen Victoria).
A lot of European royals socialize with each other, like the Scandinavian royals but the British royals seem to like being on their own.

Quote:
I wonder if Princes William and Harry have ever wished they could be more like the Casiraghis...or conversely haven an even more low-key like the Luxemburg royals.
I think they would love the get away with what the Casiraghis do, but Luxembourg royals live a very sheltered life.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Serene Highness

I would think it would be nice if the royal housholds connected more with each other. Certainly if you were a prince or princess, then you would have a good idea of what life is like being a royal, what challenges you face, etc. Someone who is a prince or princess would understand you or perhaps be someone that could lend a sympathic ear to when you are having difficulties.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Which brings me to my next thought: I wonder if they are fascinated with each other they way we are with them. For example, when Prince William and Prince Harry (presumably) look at photo albums where they see their mother meeting Princess Grace, I wonder if they think "OMG! Our parents met Grace Kelly!" (Well, they do seem to get starstruck where pop stars are concerned, so it wouldn't be too farfetched to imagine the guys being awed over Princess Grace.)

I think they are a bit young to be overawed by Grace Kelly, many young people barely remember her. She died when they were quite young and her Hollywood days were behind her long before Diana married Charles.

(Also, I once read that the BRF referred to some of the Dutch or Scandanavian royals as "the bicycle kings.")
Old 12-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Serene Highness

Agreed Mirabel. I remember Princess Grace as I heard the story growing up where the All American girl from Philadelphia married the Prince of Monaco. I also remembered when she died (it was quite shocking as right before the national news came on, the local news said she had broken her leg in a car accident and then you hear she died in the accident).

Prince William and Prince Harry had probably seen pictures of their parents and family with famous people of all walks of life. Unless someone in their family talked about these people all the time, or said that they were in awe of them, they just would be pictures of interesting people but not something that really stood out to them.

If seems like those the most fascinated by royalty are common folks, like me who are on the outside trying to look in. Royalty doesn't seem to be fascinated with each other it seems. Maybe some are, but don't talk about it openly.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think they are a bit young to be overawed by Grace Kelly, many young people barely remember her. She died when they were quite young and her Hollywood days were behind her long before Diana married Charles.

(Also, I once read that the BRF referred to some of the Dutch or Scandanavian royals as "the bicycle kings.")
Well, I'm a year and some months younger than William, but I've seen nearly all of Grace's films, so I don't buy that his age makes him ignorant about her accomplishments as an actress. (I loathe the 'young people are stupid where Golden Age Hollywood is concerned' stereotype too.)

But LOL about "the bicycle kings" comment.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Royal Highness

Philip, Charles and Harry have visited their German relatives quite often in private, it's just that they prefer private meetings, hunting etc. to attending the big weddings.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Serene Highness

What does the bicycle Kings mean? Never heard that expression. I'm guessing it doesn't mean that they ride bicycles all the time. Just curious.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
What does the bicycle Kings mean? Never heard that expression. I'm guessing it doesn't mean that they ride bicycles all the time. Just curious.
I was going to ask that very same question. Only thing I could possibly come up with is that there is a company called Bicycle that makes playing cards and perhaps they look like the kings in that deck?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I was going to ask that very same question. Only thing I could possibly come up with is that there is a company called Bicycle that makes playing cards and perhaps they look like the kings in that deck?
No, it means the kingdoms of Denmark and the Netherlands (and probably Sweden and Norway as well) those who have gone more "modern" and not up for the Pomp and circumstance that the Brits are famous for.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Administrator

I think it has to do with the fact that during WWI and WII (and actually until the last King of Sweden died), the Scandanivan royals were very "relaxed" in how they carried themselves in their homeland. They were very often seen walking and bicycling with their people.

In fact, I can't remember the King and the country. Maybe it was Frederik of Denmark....there was concern that he was out and about and he needed protection from the Germans during WWII, and he replied something along the lines that he didn't need security as he had several thousands (maybe millions) Danes who would watch over him. I think it was Frederik.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Nobility

It was King Olav V of Norway back in 1973 using public transportation to the Holmenkollen ski jump without any security personnel.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks for that but I was actually thinking of Christian X of Denmark. I ran into his name when I was reading the latest Majesty. From Wikipedia:

King Christian used to ride through the streets of Copenhagen unaccompanied while the people stood and waved to him. One apocryphal story relates that one day, a German soldier remarked to a young boy that he found it odd that the king would ride with no bodyguard. The boy reportedly replied, "All of Denmark is his bodyguard." This story was recounted in Nathaniel Benchley's bestselling book "Bright Candles" as well as in Lois Lowry's book Number the Stars. The contemporary patriotic song "Der rider en Konge" (There Rides a King) centres on the king's rides. In this song, the narrator replies to a foreigner's inquiry about the king's lack of a guard that "he is our freest man" and that the king isn't shielded by physical force but that "hearts guard the king of Denmark".[4]

Back on topic:

I think that William and Harry (moreso William) will develop some type of relationship with his fellow European royals when the time comes and he is out representing his father and grandmother. Right now, the gap has been filled by the Earl of Wessex and the Prince of Wales.

Tags
european royalty, prince william, relationships