The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 03:38 PM

LOL. I'm not suggested for a moment that the saviour of the world, otherwise known as Prince William is homosexual. But for all we know, he could be. And he could now marry a chap if he so wished.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Royal Highness

Oh damn! I was hoping there is a royal exclusive on this forum.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:43 PM

Well, I do know something.....but I couldn't possibly...:p
Old 12-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
And he could now marry a chap if he so wished.
Marry? Elton John contracted a "civil union", right? That's not the same as a marriage, is it?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:48 PM

Well, it's being dubbed 'civil union' but it is in actual fact a marriage by another name. Much like a Civil Wedding such as Charles and Camilla had. Held at registry offices, the same legal status as man and wife and a marriage certificate. To me that says marriage.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Marry? Elton John contracted a "civil union", right? That's not the same as a marriage, is it?
From what I gather, it is the same as "marriage". Since it's not blessed by the church, it's called "civil" union. But Elton and David have the same legal rights as Charles and Camilla in their unions.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:55 PM

Thats right. And if one gets a church blessing, which is at the discretion of the local churches, then I suppose it's just the same as when Charles and Camilla married.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
LOL. I'm not suggested for a moment that the saviour of the world, otherwise known as Prince William is homosexual. But for all we know, he could be. And he could now marry a chap if he so wished.
Even if this was true (which I highly doubt), William would marry and have children anyway. There would be no other solution for him, short of a renunciation of his succession rights, if he were gay.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:11 PM

Gay Adoption is soon to be legal in Britain. William could have a civil union and adopt a son. In Modern Britain, a gay King can do just what a straight one can.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

And you honestly think he could be crowned Defender of the Faith as an openly gay man? I think the Church would be vehemently opposed.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:44 PM

With the Church itself in a tricky position I don't think it would dare criticise.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
And you honestly think he could be crowned Defender of the Faith as an openly gay man? I think the Church would be vehemently opposed.
I think they would be opposed also. The Anglican Church, like the Episcopolian (sp?) and Catholic Churches, takes a view of intolerence about homosexuality. Their rules don't accept it, as they view it as a sin. This is not to say there aren't Anglicans, Episcolpalians or Catholics who accept gay people. People can be tolerant when they want to. It's just to say that the scriptures, or rather, the doctrines of those churches do not accept it.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 PM

Oh they'd be opposed. But can you image the fury and the outrage? The Government has recently passed legislation to allow gay couples to marry and adopt - and then the Church steps in and says that the King can't be a practising homosexual? The Press would have a field day and the Church would take such a knocking that they might not recover. If that was the case maybe William would drop the Defender of the Faith altogether and go for Defender of the Ruby Slippers instead.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Gentry

can of worms

thats why i think the americans have it right by trying to maintain a seperation of church and state. i think if he chose a homosexual lifestyle that it is his personal business but the religious component of the monarchy must be upheld. if the faith you ascribe to condems homosexuality as a sin then you must abide by those rules or find another faith, repent, or whatever- you have to live with the consequences of those actions anyway.

the politicians should stay away from trying to dictate what church doctrine should be but, i think it is foolish to beleive that religious values do not impact political decisions. if there is a way to reconcile this paradox i have not found it yet

Anyway I don't think they could stop him from being king but i do think it is a big- hypothetical-can of worms.

now to the first question. I can see him marrying at St. Pauls or westminster abbey, although he is 2nd in line he will be king eventually and he is very popular.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:27 PM

The problem is ksenia, it's an issue for the politicians. They have to provide for the greater population. The Church can only offer it's advice to those who follow it. I mean, William could well walk down the aisle of Westminster Abbey - but will it be Kate or Keith on his arm?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
The problem is ksenia, it's an issue for the politicians. They have to provide for the greater population. The Church can only offer it's advice to those who follow it. I mean, William could well walk down the aisle of Westminster Abbey - but will it be Kate or Keith on his arm?
The funny image of William walking down the aisle with Guy Pelly sprang to mind for some reason. King William and ?????Queen Guy???
Old 12-30-2005, 08:38 PM

William and Andrea? Now that would be a combination.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:06 PM

guy pelly and william is funnier. there's something so goofy about guy. I can picture Guy in a wedding dress, the veil, a long train. haha.
Then again, Andrea Casiraghi lends himself to such puns. His name being a unisex name, his long hair.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Gay Adoption is soon to be legal in Britain. William could have a civil union and adopt a son. In Modern Britain, a gay King can do just what a straight one can.
He can't, however, pass the throne to his adopted son or to an out-of-wedlock natural son.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Oh they'd be opposed. But can you image the fury and the outrage? The Government has recently passed legislation to allow gay couples to marry and adopt - and then the Church steps in and says that the King can't be a practising homosexual? The Press would have a field day and the Church would take such a knocking that they might not recover. If that was the case maybe William would drop the Defender of the Faith altogether and go for Defender of the Ruby Slippers instead.
I think the fury and outrage would be the opposite. There is no way Parliament would allow an openly gay Sovereign to be crowned with the Church in opposition. He would have to abdicate.

Tags
engagement, marriage, prince william, wedding