The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Nobility

Oh I think the wedding would be big, especially if William is still loved like he is now.

I am totally lost about titles though, I mean if I married a Prince I would want (demand) to be a Princess, I would not go into the public eye, be followed all the time just to be a countess or duchess!

Sorry but true.

Apart from if/when Charles is King and possibly makes William prince of Wales is there any other way Williams wife will be a Princess??

Old 12-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmieLou
I am totally lost about titles though, I mean if I married a Prince I would want (demand) to be a Princess, I would not go into the public eye, be followed all the time just to be a countess or duchess!

Sorry but true.

Apart from if/when Charles is King and possibly makes William prince of Wales is there any other way Williams wife will be a Princess??
Any woman who marries Prince William automatically becomes a princess of the UK with the rank of Royal Highness. William's title and style at the present time is HRH Prince William of Wales, so his wife would become HRH Princess William of Wales.

A dukedom would probably be granted to William by The Queen on his wedding day, so his wife would not have to carry the style of "Princess William". So, for example, if he was granted the Dukedom of Sussex, his wife would become HRH The Duchess of Sussex.

When The Queen dies and Charles ascends the throne, William automatically becomes HRH The Duke of Cornwall. The titles "Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester" would merge with the Crown and be re-granted to William at some point as the new heir to the throne.

Old 12-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Nobility

Personaly, I think Harry would marry first.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally, I hope that William and Kate will end up marrying. I think they are a very lovely couple and (as I have absolutely no intentions to marry him lol) will be happy together.
However I think that Prince William and Miss Kate need to wait a bit more. They need to be sure of their feelings and grow up a bit. And Kate must also be ready for all the pressure and responsibilities she will acquire, along with the man she loves. Though if they announce their wedding right tomorrow, I think I wouldn't mind at all. After all it's their hoice, not mine.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

William's wedding will be a very large affair whenever and whoever he marries. He's 2nd in line to the throne and generally speaking quite a popular Royal so the general public would be interested in his wedding. Even if he wanted otherwise he'd be required to have a big wedding.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Nobility

I think it will be low key just because William and Kate are a low key couple, you know they like to fly under the radar.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Think itll compare
with the his Parents Grandparents or Uncles OR European cousins
Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Nobility

Will William have a vig royal wedding or can he have a private wedding? i was wondering that because he is in a different position to most of the other royal weddings that have happened in the past few years. most of them were the children of a reiging monarch, and he is the grandson, so it might be a bit different? who will announce the engagement and grand permission, and who will theyu have to bow and courtsey to at the wedding? will it be the Queen because she is the Queen, or Charles because he is Williams father?
I think he will marry in the next few years, maybe not to Kate. I don't know. I just hope he marries the right person and can be happy.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Any woman who marries Prince William automatically becomes a princess of the UK with the rank of Royal Highness. William's title and style at the present time is HRH Prince William of Wales, so his wife would become HRH Princess William of Wales.

A dukedom would probably be granted to William by The Queen on his wedding day, so his wife would not have to carry the style of "Princess William". So, for example, if he was granted the Dukedom of Sussex, his wife would become HRH The Duchess of Sussex.

When The Queen dies and Charles ascends the throne, William automatically becomes HRH The Duke of Cornwall. The titles "Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester" would merge with the Crown and be re-granted to William at some point as the new heir to the throne.
I have a question, why William won't be the Prince of Wales when his father ascends to the throne? he's already of age so why not?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

The title Prince of Wales isn't automatic, it has to be conferred. The eldest son of the monarch is automatically Duke of Cornwall, but he isn't Prince of Wales until the monarch says he is. Prince Charles was Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay from the moment his mother became Queen, but he wasn't created Prince of Wales until he was about 10, when the Queen announced that she was creating him Prince of Wales. His investiture took place about 10 years later again.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The title Prince of Wales isn't automatic, it has to be conferred. The eldest son of the monarch is automatically Duke of Cornwall, but he isn't Prince of Wales until the monarch says he is. Prince Charles was Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay from the moment his mother became Queen, but he wasn't created Prince of Wales until he was about 10, when the Queen announced that she was creating him Prince of Wales. His investiture took place about 10 years later again.
Thanks a lot for the info, Elspeth:)
Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 AM
Aristocracy

I hope that when Prince William marries it is true love on both their parts, not just infactuation on his bride's part and not just a royal duty on William's part. I think his wedding will be beautiful and just as grand as his parents wedding. I wish him and his future bride all the happiness the world has to offer!

Emily :)

P.S. I think Kate Middleton would make a lovely Princess for William.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:55 AM

I wonder if William would marry in Westminster Abbey. Most British royal weddings on a grand scale take place there. I think the only reason Charles decided on St. Paul's was because of the 3? orchestra(s) he wanted from Australia? that wouldn't fit in Westminster Abbey. Unless William has some special accommodation like that, I suppose it goes without saying that his wedding will be in the Abbey of abbeys. :)

I also wonder.... would Oprah be there?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
yeah....... I think charles was 8 when the Queen announced she was creating him Prince of Wales. It was on TV at a Welsh sporting event, right? Charles watched it with schoolmates in his headmaster's office, I think?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:09 AM
Serene Highness

I think that we remember promptly.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:07 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
Will William have a vig royal wedding or can he have a private wedding? i was wondering that because he is in a different position to most of the other royal weddings that have happened in the past few years. most of them were the children of a reiging monarch, and he is the grandson, so it might be a bit different?
I don't think William in his position can get away with a private wedding but if he marries while his grandmother and father are both still alive, he could possibly get away with having a more low-key wedding than his parents did.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Nobility

that sounds pretty right...Maybe William will marry at St Georges? i've always though that his mothers funeral might put him off marrying at Westminster abbey,plus he is obviously a pretty low-key kind of guy
Old 12-29-2005, 11:20 AM

True, he might marry at St. George's. I hadn't thought of that. Edward and Sophie did that, and Charles and Camilla, of course, had their blessing there. But it might not be practical, considering the # of foreign and other dignitaries that would certainly have to be accommodated for the #2 heir to the throne's wedding. Harry might get away with a St George wedding, but William might not. While it would be nice, it might not be practical, as I said. I guess we'll have to wait and see. The royals are constantly surprising us, aren't they?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:27 AM

Heavens above. I can't believe people are already discussing this. The Middleton girl seems to be his first proper long term girlfriend but I doubt he'll marry her. I hope he doesn't - personally I don't like her one bit. But I think it'll be a pretty grand affair whenever it happens to whoever it is. That is of course taking for granted that he will a) marry and b) marry a woman.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
That is of course taking for granted that he will a) marry and b) marry a woman.
:) Do you know something that's not public knowledge? Think he will pull an Elton?

Tags
engagement, marriage, prince william, wedding