When will William marry and what style of wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elspeth said:
The title Prince of Wales isn't automatic, it has to be conferred. The eldest son of the monarch is automatically Duke of Cornwall, but he isn't Prince of Wales until the monarch says he is. Prince Charles was Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay from the moment his mother became Queen, but he wasn't created Prince of Wales until he was about 10, when the Queen announced that she was creating him Prince of Wales. His investiture took place about 10 years later again.

Thanks a lot for the info, Elspeth:)

I hope that when Prince William marries it is true love on both their parts, not just infactuation on his bride's part and not just a royal duty on William's part. I think his wedding will be beautiful and just as grand as his parents wedding. I wish him and his future bride all the happiness the world has to offer!

Emily :)

P.S. I think Kate Middleton would make a lovely Princess for William.

I wonder if William would marry in Westminster Abbey. Most British royal weddings on a grand scale take place there. I think the only reason Charles decided on St. Paul's was because of the 3? orchestra(s) he wanted from Australia? that wouldn't fit in Westminster Abbey. Unless William has some special accommodation like that, I suppose it goes without saying that his wedding will be in the Abbey of abbeys. :)

I also wonder.... would Oprah be there? :D

Elspeth said:
The title Prince of Wales isn't automatic, it has to be conferred. The eldest son of the monarch is automatically Duke of Cornwall, but he isn't Prince of Wales until the monarch says he is. Prince Charles was Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay from the moment his mother became Queen, but he wasn't created Prince of Wales until he was about 10, when the Queen announced that she was creating him Prince of Wales. His investiture took place about 10 years later again.

yeah....... I think charles was 8 when the Queen announced she was creating him Prince of Wales. It was on TV at a Welsh sporting event, right? Charles watched it with schoolmates in his headmaster's office, I think?

I think that we remember promptly.

Aussie Princess said:
Will William have a vig royal wedding or can he have a private wedding? i was wondering that because he is in a different position to most of the other royal weddings that have happened in the past few years. most of them were the children of a reiging monarch, and he is the grandson, so it might be a bit different?

I don't think William in his position can get away with a private wedding but if he marries while his grandmother and father are both still alive, he could possibly get away with having a more low-key wedding than his parents did.

that sounds pretty right...Maybe William will marry at St Georges? i've always though that his mothers funeral might put him off marrying at Westminster abbey,plus he is obviously a pretty low-key kind of guy

True, he might marry at St. George's. I hadn't thought of that. Edward and Sophie did that, and Charles and Camilla, of course, had their blessing there. But it might not be practical, considering the # of foreign and other dignitaries that would certainly have to be accommodated for the #2 heir to the throne's wedding. Harry might get away with a St George wedding, but William might not. While it would be nice, it might not be practical, as I said. I guess we'll have to wait and see. The royals are constantly surprising us, aren't they?

Heavens above. I can't believe people are already discussing this. The Middleton girl seems to be his first proper long term girlfriend but I doubt he'll marry her. I hope he doesn't - personally I don't like her one bit. But I think it'll be a pretty grand affair whenever it happens to whoever it is. That is of course taking for granted that he will a) marry and b) marry a woman.

BeatrixFan said:
That is of course taking for granted that he will a) marry and b) marry a woman.
:) ;) Do you know something that's not public knowledge? Think he will pull an Elton?;)

LOL. I'm not suggested for a moment that the saviour of the world, otherwise known as Prince William is homosexual. But for all we know, he could be. And he could now marry a chap if he so wished. ;)

Oh damn! I was hoping there is a royal exclusive on this forum.

Well, I do know something.....but I couldn't possibly...:p

BeatrixFan said:
And he could now marry a chap if he so wished. ;)

Marry? Elton John contracted a "civil union", right? That's not the same as a marriage, is it?

Well, it's being dubbed 'civil union' but it is in actual fact a marriage by another name. Much like a Civil Wedding such as Charles and Camilla had. Held at registry offices, the same legal status as man and wife and a marriage certificate. To me that says marriage.

selrahc4 said:
Marry? Elton John contracted a "civil union", right? That's not the same as a marriage, is it?
From what I gather, it is the same as "marriage". Since it's not blessed by the church, it's called "civil" union. But Elton and David have the same legal rights as Charles and Camilla in their unions.

Thats right. And if one gets a church blessing, which is at the discretion of the local churches, then I suppose it's just the same as when Charles and Camilla married.

BeatrixFan said:
LOL. I'm not suggested for a moment that the saviour of the world, otherwise known as Prince William is homosexual. But for all we know, he could be. And he could now marry a chap if he so wished. ;)

Even if this was true (which I highly doubt), William would marry and have children anyway. There would be no other solution for him, short of a renunciation of his succession rights, if he were gay.

Gay Adoption is soon to be legal in Britain. William could have a civil union and adopt a son. In Modern Britain, a gay King can do just what a straight one can.

And you honestly think he could be crowned Defender of the Faith as an openly gay man? I think the Church would be vehemently opposed.

With the Church itself in a tricky position I don't think it would dare criticise.

branchg said:
And you honestly think he could be crowned Defender of the Faith as an openly gay man? I think the Church would be vehemently opposed.

I think they would be opposed also. The Anglican Church, like the Episcopolian (sp?) and Catholic Churches, takes a view of intolerence about homosexuality. Their rules don't accept it, as they view it as a sin. This is not to say there aren't Anglicans, Episcolpalians or Catholics who accept gay people. People can be tolerant when they want to. It's just to say that the scriptures, or rather, the doctrines of those churches do not accept it.

Oh they'd be opposed. But can you image the fury and the outrage? The Government has recently passed legislation to allow gay couples to marry and adopt - and then the Church steps in and says that the King can't be a practising homosexual? The Press would have a field day and the Church would take such a knocking that they might not recover. If that was the case maybe William would drop the Defender of the Faith altogether and go for Defender of the Ruby Slippers instead.

can of worms

thats why i think the americans have it right by trying to maintain a seperation of church and state. i think if he chose a homosexual lifestyle that it is his personal business but the religious component of the monarchy must be upheld. if the faith you ascribe to condems homosexuality as a sin then you must abide by those rules or find another faith, repent, or whatever- you have to live with the consequences of those actions anyway.

the politicians should stay away from trying to dictate what church doctrine should be but, i think it is foolish to beleive that religious values do not impact political decisions. if there is a way to reconcile this paradox i have not found it yet

Anyway I don't think they could stop him from being king but i do think it is a big- hypothetical-can of worms.

now to the first question. I can see him marrying at St. Pauls or westminster abbey, although he is 2nd in line he will be king eventually and he is very popular.

The problem is ksenia, it's an issue for the politicians. They have to provide for the greater population. The Church can only offer it's advice to those who follow it. I mean, William could well walk down the aisle of Westminster Abbey - but will it be Kate or Keith on his arm?

BeatrixFan said:
The problem is ksenia, it's an issue for the politicians. They have to provide for the greater population. The Church can only offer it's advice to those who follow it. I mean, William could well walk down the aisle of Westminster Abbey - but will it be Kate or Keith on his arm?

The funny image of William walking down the aisle with Guy Pelly sprang to mind for some reason. King William and ?????Queen Guy???
:D

William and Andrea? Now that would be a combination.

guy pelly and william is funnier. there's something so goofy about guy. I can picture Guy in a wedding dress, the veil, a long train. haha.
:D Then again, Andrea Casiraghi lends himself to such puns. His name being a unisex name, his long hair.

BeatrixFan said:
Gay Adoption is soon to be legal in Britain. William could have a civil union and adopt a son. In Modern Britain, a gay King can do just what a straight one can.

He can't, however, pass the throne to his adopted son or to an out-of-wedlock natural son.

BeatrixFan said:
Oh they'd be opposed. But can you image the fury and the outrage? The Government has recently passed legislation to allow gay couples to marry and adopt - and then the Church steps in and says that the King can't be a practising homosexual? The Press would have a field day and the Church would take such a knocking that they might not recover. If that was the case maybe William would drop the Defender of the Faith altogether and go for Defender of the Ruby Slippers instead.

I think the fury and outrage would be the opposite. There is no way Parliament would allow an openly gay Sovereign to be crowned with the Church in opposition. He would have to abdicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom