What if William falls in love with a Catholic girl...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is something very funny in this story

William can´t marry anyone divorced, unless his "future wife"´s ex-husband is dead.

The funny part is:

Henry VIII broke with Roman Catholic Church, because he wanted to get divorced and marry again, and as in Roman Catholic Church : What God puts together can´t be separed, he decided to create a new religion Anglican Church.

So, my opinion about all those rules of who he can or can not marry has to be broken, a King happy is the better choise for every country, and that depende if his is with someone he really loves!!!

Sorry about my english, I´m from Brazil, hope that all of you understand what I wrote. :winkiss:

Does anyone know if it was not preferred in Spain and Norway for the princes to marry the women they married?I mean, ofcourse its not against the law, but maybe kind of discouraged? I mean, I've read in this thread that Prince William isn't allowed to marry a divorcee, unless her husband's dead, so was that the case in thse two countries, and did the princes have to seek permission before marrying? Any idea?

In all royal houses permission is need for them to get married. I dont think the princes of Norway and Spain went aganist the law.

In both Spain and Norway, the King granted permission.
In Denmark, the Queen gave permission and the votes went in favor of the marriage.
Same with the Netherlands.

Originally posted by cd_1@Feb 20th, 2004 - 1:47 pm
Does anyone know if it was aginst the law in Spain and Norway for the princes to marry the women they married? I mean, I've read in this thread that Prince William isn't allowed to marry a divorcee, unless her husband's dead, so was that the case in thse two countries, and did the princes have to seek permission before marrying? Any idea?
He can marry a divorcee, there is no law against it. Prince Michael of Kent did. Back in the day, however, divorce was taboo and that's why there was such a stink about Edward and Wallis. The fact that she had two living husbands and that there were some questions about her character only exacerbated the situation.

All William needs is the is the approval of the monarch. However, if for some reason that approval is denied, he can make an application to Parliament (providing he's over the age of 25, IIRC). The only requisite is that she not be Catholic.

Do you think they'd ever repeal that "non-Catholic" stance? I know it was due to the past interactions between the monarch and the Catholic Chrurch, but it's been centuries now....

It would be nice, but it'll take the heir to the throne falling in love and wanting to marry a Catholic before they'll seriously start to consider changing that rule. (imo).

Originally posted by Moonlightrhapsody@Feb 20th, 2004 - 2:46 pm
Do you think they'd ever repeal that "non-Catholic" stance? I know it was due to the past interactions between the monarch and the Catholic Chrurch, but it's been centuries now....
IIRC, there were discussions on it not so long ago. It was decided not to change it. Part of it may have to do with the "Defender of the Faith" title.

yes, ofcourse they wouldn't do anything against the law, but I just wondered.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Feb 20th, 2004 - 2:59 pm
It would be nice, but it'll take the heir to the throne falling in love and wanting to marry a Catholic before they'll seriously start to consider changing that rule. (imo).
I agree. Although, on a side-note, it should be noted that he just can't marry a Catholic. There's nothing to say that his spouse can't convert to Catholicism *after* the marriage.

IIRC, there were discussions on it not so long ago. It was decided not to change it. Part of it may have to do with the "Defender of the Faith" title.

Ironically, the title of 'defender of the faith' was awarded to King Henry VIII by the Pope in gratitude for his support. This was shortly before Henry split from the Catholic Church.

Guess Henry wasn't as grateful as the Pope! :lol:

The British Royal Family can't marry a girl from other country and in Great Britain most of the people is protestant, so I think there would be no problem, as far as I am concerned.

Actually, they can marry someone from another country. They've done it for centuries. It's just that since George and Mary they haven't. (Although one could argue that Mary wasn't a British Princess) and then there's the whole Philip was a Prince of Greece. It was on the guidance of his uncle, Lord Mountenbatten (himself a member of a former foreign ruling house) that Philip renounced his titles and became a British citizen (which he didn't have to do, as he was already one because of who he was a decendant from. Electress Sophia).
As it stands right now, William just has to marry a non-Catholic. There's no other offical rule.

You mean anyone? Even someone from a different race or religion?

Law wise, as long as they aren't catholic, they're fine.
Now, I'm sure that there are some unoffical rules that they have in place, but, offically the no catholic spouse thing is the only one.

Do you know anything about any girlfriends for William or Harry? I'm don't know too much about this family...

I would love nothing more than for William to marry for absolute love, and if that means marrying a catholic than so be it. I don't believe someone should change their religion to marry the person they are in love with. I'm almost 100% sure William will not marry a catholic girl unless she changes her religion. William's first duty is to his heart, that is everyone's first duty. But there is also the pressure of his second duty, the duty to his people. I had a similar conversation regarding President Bush and his christian beliefs. Now I am in no way against believing something with all your heart. I am not a religious person, I'm not denying God exists but I'm not denying that he doesn't. I pray to something, but I don't know what. I am against the gay marriage ban. My best friend is gay, and someday I hope so see him get married. I see absolutely nothing wrong with gay men and woman getting married. But apparently Bush does. He is letting his beliefs get in the way of how he runs this country. That's wrong in my opinion. In this case, the duty to his people rules out. His duty to his beliefs and to his heart are different. I would never deny Bush his beliefs, but he must think of the people in the country that he runs. The Minorities are the Majority.

William is a wonderful person, and he's very intelligent. If his belief is to not marry a Catholic, than that ties in to his duty to his heart. Because whoever he marries will be someone he hopefully loves and can see as his Queen consort. The people must in one way or another respect her. But the people must also think of William's feelings. You can't help who you love. You're not supposed too. Love knows no age, race, or religion, and it shouldn't. His heart should rule his decision of who he marries. His people should rule his decision of how he runs the country, so to speak.

Love always wins in the end.

Originally posted by royal_sophietje@Nov 3rd, 2003 - 6:07 am
I would love to turn him in a Spencer (like his uncle wanted to do, but I will do it really).
What sort of Spencer would you like him to be:

* A wife beating bully
* An ineffectual nothing with an eating disorder

You seem to have a personal vendetta against them. Can you please back up what you've said with factual information? Thanks.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Apr 12th, 2004 - 10:02 pm
You seem to have a personal vendetta against them. Can you please back up what you've said with factual information? Thanks.
Fireweaver,

It was stated in the divorce action brought by the first Countess Spencer that her husband, Charles had abused her both mentally and physically.

Princess Diana admitted to having bulimia and her sister Lady Sarah is known to have been anorexic.

Enough factual proof for you?????

Originally posted by wymanda+Apr 13th, 2004 - 12:03 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wymanda @ Apr 13th, 2004 - 12:03 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fireweaver@Apr 12th, 2004 - 10:02 pm
Fireweaver,

It was stated in the divorce action brought by the first Countess Spencer that her husband, Charles had abused her both mentally and physically.

Princess Diana admitted to having bulimia and her sister Lady Sarah is known to have been anorexic.

Enough factual proof for you????? [/b][/quote]
I have heard of all of these things and I although, I am not an authority on the personal relationship between Diana's parents but you are correct in that both Diana and her sister suffered from eating disorders. However, having an eating disorder does make one "ineffectual." If anything if one is able to overcome such a disease it tends to make you stronger and more tolerant of the feelings and sufferings of others.

If royal watchers over the past (almost 22 years ) have learned anything about Prince William it is that he is very much his own person. William, I believe, will marry the girl he truly falls in love with and if that means someone who deviates in ANY way from convention then so be it. He has experienced the pain of divorce and the loss of his mother at a young age and I think that he will be looking for personal fulfilment with a woman he truly loves whatever her background. The irony is that his mother was chosen precisley for her supposedly perfect credentials and look what happenend and I am sure that this will not be lost on him.

Drat, I'm out of the running then! :p Too bad Prince Felipe's married, I'm a practicing Catholic!

Anyway, I think that in the event of William wanting to marry the woman he loves and she doesn't exactly fit the mold the law requires, I think that the law would be changed. William is looked upon as the brightest star in the British Royal Family and partially because he's Princess Diana's son, is much loved by the public. I think if he were to put the question of his marriage to the people, House of Common, and House of Lords, he might stand a chance of marrying for love while keeping his place in succession.

of course William is going to fall in love with a Catholic girl, just like he's in love with girls from the Dutch Reformed Church and local gals from Africa with their local religions.

Then William has a choice ..... sell the girl into adopting his religion, placing girl before throne and country, or putting throne and country ahead of a love. :blink:

Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 18th, 2004 - 7:42 pm

Then William has a choice ..... sell the girl into adopting his religion, placing girl before throne and country, or putting throne and country ahead of a love. :blink:
So ture.

This is a tricky question. As it stands now, he cannot marry a Roman Catholic. There has been talk of changing this antiquated rule, but it still causes a problem because the Queen is the Head of the Anglican Church. While more minor members are Catholic or married to Catholics (Princess Michael, Duchess of Kent, and the Countess of St. Andrews), William is in direct line to be King.

Another difficulty is that if they remove the ban on Roman Catholics, than the Stuarts can come forward with more of a pressing case that they, not the Hanoverian Windsors, are the true heirs. The Stuarts were removed from the throne for being Roman Catholics ruling a predominantly Protestant nation with the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

Originally posted by wymanda+Apr 13th, 2004 - 12:03 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wymanda @ Apr 13th, 2004 - 12:03 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fireweaver@Apr 12th, 2004 - 10:02 pm
Fireweaver,

Enough factual proof for you????? [/b][/quote]
That is harsh to say the least. You cannot pick your relatives--God knows I wish I could.

Victoria Lockwood also had an eating disorder before she married into the Spencer family--so you cannot say she was tainted by them.

As for Lady Sarah, she conquered her eating disorder. While I am not fond of her as of late, she has beaten it.

Yes the Present Earl Spencer is a cad--but it just seems you love to put down anyone or anything related to Diana. She couldn't pick her relatives either. And the one she did pick (Charles) made her life a living, hellish nightmare!

tiaraprin  Posted: Jun 19th, 2004 - 10:28 pm

if they remove the ban on Roman Catholics, than the Stuarts can come forward with more of a pressing case that they, not the Hanoverian Windsors, are the true heirs. The Stuarts were removed from the throne for being Roman Catholics ruling a predominantly Protestant nation with the Glorious Revolution of 1688.
The indignity of it all ... can you imagine, if a throne eligible royal could be allowed to marry a Catholic
... a "law-suit" going all the way up to (or starting? at) the "House of Lords" to resolve 316 years of an error-prone rule !!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom