Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Princess

Nobility
City
n/a
Country
Australia
I know that Prince Charles has a lot of titles, Prince of Wales just being the primary one, but what about his sons? Do they have all his titles? I am asking because a son doesn't usually have the same title as his father....he usually inherits it right?
What about when William and Harry marry? What will their wives be titled? will it make a difference wether we still have the Queen at that time of if Charles is King?

What does a duchess, earl, or duke do..like why do they have the title. are they like the mayor of the place?

Aussie Princess said:
I know that Prince Charles has a lot of titles, Prince of Wales just being the primary one, but what about his sons? Do they have all his titles? I am asking because a son doesn't usually have the same title as his father....he usually inherits it right?
What about when William and Harry marry? What will their wives be titled? will it make a difference wether we still have the Queen at that time of if Charles is King?

I think Charles' titles are all personal ones, meaning they don't pass on to the sons. Even the title "Prince of Wales" doesn't go automatically to the heir to the throne. It must be conferred to the heir by the monarch. If/when Charles becomes king, the title "Prince of Wales" reverts back to the crown and Charles must confer it to William for him to use it.

Should William and Harry marry before that time, their wives would be titled Princess William and Princess Henry (which is his actual name; always thought that was peculiar that he's called 'Harry'). Unless the monarch makes the wives princesses in their own right, legally, they take the name of their husbands.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
I think Charles' titles are all personal ones, meaning they don't pass on to the sons. Even the title "Prince of Wales" doesn't go automatically to the heir to the throne. It must be conferred to the heir by the monarch. If/when Charles becomes king, the title "Prince of Wales" reverts back to the crown and Charles must confer it to William for him to use it.

Should William and Harry marry before that time, their wives would be titled Princess William and Princess Henry (which is his actual name; always thought that was peculiar that he's called 'Harry'). Unless the monarch makes the wives princesses in their own right, legally, they take the name of their husbands.

When Charles becomes King William will inherit all his current titles except Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester. He will automatically become Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothsay plus the other titles. If he marries before that I expect that the Queen will give him a Dukedom but which one I don't know. If she does that then his wife will be HRH Duchess of x otherwise she will be HRH Princess William of Wales. Harry will be the same except that there are no titles for him to inherit when his father becomes King i.e. his wife will be HRH Duchess of x or HRH Princess Henry (or Harry).

As the Royal Family is downsizing the titles however the Queen may only give a Dukedom to William on marriage leaving it for Charles to deal with on his accession but I don't expect that to happen.

If I were to marry into Royalty I would want to be a Princess, it would not be worth all the hassle to be a "countess" or "duchess"!

EmmieLou said:
If I were to marry into Royalty I would want to be a Princess, it would not be worth all the hassle to be a "countess" or "duchess"!

Anyone who marries a prince of the UK automatically becomes a princess of the UK and assumes their husband's subsidiary honours or titles. For example, Sarah Ferguson upon marriage to Andrew became "HRH the Princess Andrew, Duchess of York", but was correctly styled and addressed as "HRH the Duchess of York."

If William marries before Charles ascends the throne (very likely given the Queen's health), I predict he will not be granted a dukedom. As stated earlier, since he will automatically become Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay when Charles becomes King, an additional grant of a peerage is not necessary.

Harry, on the other hand, will most likely be granted a dukedom upon marriage by the Queen since he holds no other style other than "HRH Prince Henry of Wales".

Thanks guys! I hope Williams wife will not have to be Princess of Wales, because that would be really hard for her I think! The Diana comparisons will be bad enough without that I think.

Aussie Princess said:
Thanks guys! I hope Williams wife will not have to be Princess of Wales, because that would be really hard for her I think! The Diana comparisons will be bad enough without that I think.

William's wife will have to be Princess of Wales, that is if Charles outlives his mother and becomes king and sees fit to make William Prince of Wales. This is the most likely scenario.

The monarch is not obligated to grant his or her heir apparent the title of Prince of Wales. Its solely at the monarch's discretion. All the monarchs have done so though so I don't imagine that Charles will buck tradition.

Upon the monarch's accession, the only titles the new heir apparent inherits are the titles of Duke of Cornwall, Rothesay, etc.

Aussie Princess said:

When, and if, William becomes The Prince of Wales, his wife will get the title The Princess of Wales, if I've understood the debate regarding Camilla's choice of titles correctly. As Diana was the first one to use the title since Mary of Teck, it isn't strange that she's the one currently in people's memories when people use the title. But, as time goes on, people forget.

Alexandra had been The Princess of Wales for nearly 40 years (1863-1901) when her husband ascended to the throne. I would presume that her daughter-in-law was compared to her, but I very much doubt that it was suggested that Mary not use the title she was entitled to.

With Prince Charles' mother, and maternal grandmother, both having the long lifespan, and his mother in good health, it doesn't seem very likely, at the moment, that that the title "The Prince of Wales" will go to William very soon. People have short memories, and by the time this will be an issue, people have limited memories.

i've always wondered why is it that else where in europe when a women marries a prince they become Princess *there name* in there own right like Princess Mary, Princess Grace, Princess Alexandra and if there next in line to the throne they become Crown Princess automatically, but in the UK they only become Princess *name of their husband* (unless they have there own title like diana did then its there name used) and if next in line they become Princess of Wales why not Crown Princess. Why is that i have never understood it and i'm from the UK myself

I am wondering about a hypothetical sitaution...
Suppose Prince William marries Princess Victoria of Sweden... they both get into a situation that they need to become King and Queen , only , each for his/her country... then what ?:rolleyes: What if those two really fell in love ? They dont get to marry , because one of them would have to abdicate ?

happygolucky said:
Suppose Prince William marries Princess Victoria of Sweden... they both get into a situation that they need to become King and Queen , only , each for his/her country... then what ?:rolleyes: What if those two really fell in love ? They dont get to marry , because one of them would have to abdicate ?

The chances of this happening is very very slim but one would assume either William or Victoria would have to give up their throne.

If it was to happen I guees it would make more since for Victoria to do so, her brother could be King in Sweden and then she and William could be King and Queen of England.

But this is so not going to happen!

Raia said:
i've always wondered why is it that else where in europe when a women marries a prince they become Princess *there name* in there own right like Princess Mary, Princess Grace, Princess Alexandra and if there next in line to the throne they become Crown Princess automatically, but in the UK they only become Princess *name of their husband* (unless they have there own title like diana did then its there name used) and if next in line they become Princess of Wales why not Crown Princess. Why is that i have never understood it and i'm from the UK myself

Actually, this is not true. Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra were both born princesses (HSH Mary of Teck, HRH Alexandra of Denmark) which is why they ld continue to be referred to as "Princess Christian Name" after marriage to a prince of the UK.

All the royal houses of Europe follow a similar precedent for styling a wife of a royal prince. You have to remember that marrying commoners is a relatively new development for most of these families, most of whom only married equally to another sovereign or ducal house. The modern trend is to allow a woman (who is common) to assume her dignity before her Christian name informally, but this does not mean they are formally princesses.

For instance, Grace Kelly was actually HSH Grace, Princesse de Monaco, after marriage to Rainier. After the birth of Albert, Rainier issued a warrant styling her HSH Princess Grace de Monaco, a dignity normally reserved for a princess by birth.

In Denmark, the Queen has allowed both her daughter-in-laws to be styled as Crown Princess Mary and Princess Alexandra, which is technically incorrect. In Spain, Letizia is not permitted to do so, she is HRH Princess of Asturias and nothing else.

A.C.C. said:
William's wife will have to be Princess of Wales, that is if Charles outlives his mother and becomes king and sees fit to make William Prince of Wales. This is the most likely scenario.

The title is bestowed at the Sovereign's discretion and will. It is not automatic that William would become Prince of Wales, although it is certainly very likely. If not, he would be HRH The Duke of Cornwall in England and HRH The Duke of Rothesay in Scotland when Charles becomes King.

happygolucky said:

Crown Princess Victoria is Lutheran and ineligible to marry William under the Act of Settlement unless she renounced her faith and embraced the Anglican Church prior to marriage. Victoria would also have to reliniquish her right to the Swedish throne in favor of Carl Philip.

Same story for William. He would have to renounce his rights in favor of Harry and embrace the Lutheran Church to marry a future Queen of Sweden. Doubtful this will ever happen.

branchg said:
Crown Princess Victoria is Lutheran and ineligible to marry William under the Act of Settlement

She is eligible under the Act of Settlement.

branchg said:
Crown Princess Victoria is Lutheran and ineligible to marry William under the Act of Settlement
Actually, Lutherans are protestants, too... and therefore, as far as I can see, not ineligible.

I seriously doubt that situation. It would be too mpolitical for respective monarchs to marry- too Ferdinand and Isabella.

I think whoever Prince William marries will be known by a majority of people as Princess ____ although it will be incorrect. Most people don't really care about correctly addressing royalty. And if she is the Princess of Wales or not she will be compared constantly to Diana and that's just the way its going to be.

William knows what his future will be and therefore knows he should marry a girl that is of his religon. It is a sense of duty.

Crown Princess Victoria is Lutheran and ineligible to marry William under the Act of Settlement unless she renounced her faith and embraced the Anglican Church prior to marriage.

It isn't necessary to be Anglican in order to marry the heir to the British throne; it's just necessary not to be Catholic. Exactly what would happen if an Archbishop of Canterbury was faced with crowning a Lutheran or Jewish or Pagan or Satanist Queen Consort in a Church of England ceremony is another matter, but the Act of Settlement wouldn't prohibit it.

is Kate Middleton :D a catholic? sorry for the silly question, but I just want to see if she knows the "requirements "

Raia said:

First of all Crown Princess Mary, Princess Grace, Princess Alexandra (of Denmark I presume) were created princesses in their own right by the monarch. If you are not created a princess by the monarch, you take your husbands name. Diana, Princess of Wales was not entitled to "Princess Diana" and she always corrected people when they called her that. She was officially known as HRH The Princess of Wales or Princess Charles (before her divorce from Prince Charles).

branchg said:
The title is bestowed at the Sovereign's discretion and will. It is not automatic that William would become Prince of Wales, although it is certainly very likely. If not, he would be HRH The Duke of Cornwall in England and HRH The Duke of Rothesay in Scotland when Charles becomes King.

Remember Edward VII's example in waiting a year before he made his son George and wife Mary Prince and Princess of Wales. They were TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and were not at all pleased at having to wait.

Do you really think that William will marry Kate? I mean he probably knows that he really can have any woman that he wants......as long as they're not Roman Catholic. Do you think that his family would accept a poor, ugly, girl? Does his future wife have to be gorgeous and rich? I mean it wouldn't be fair.....what if the girl was a wonderful girl inside and smart? Or do you think that the royal family would still accept her? Yet, what about any royal families? I'm just asking...not meaning that everything that I'm asking is going to happen or anything. I'm sure it might sound stupid...

Sorry if my questions doesn't belong in this thead(topic wise)

Elspeth said:
It isn't necessary to be Anglican in order to marry the heir to the British throne; it's just necessary not to be Catholic. Exactly what would happen if an Archbishop of Canterbury was faced with crowning a Lutheran or Jewish or Pagan or Satanist Queen Consort in a Church of England ceremony is another matter, but the Act of Settlement wouldn't prohibit it.

The Act of Settlement prohibits anyone other than a Protestant descendant of Electress Sophia who has not married a Catholic from ascending the British throne. The intent of the Act was to stop the Jacobite descendants from contesting the throne after the death of Queen Anne. It also granted Parliament the right to intervene in the royal succession and regrant the throne at any time.

The intent of the Act is to prohibit any marriage to a non-Anglican, which would threaten the supremacy of the Crown as Head of the Church of England. Unless it is repealed or amended, no future heir to the throne will be allowed to marry anyone who has not embraced the Anglician faith.

AsianRedneck said:
Do you really think that William will marry Kate? I mean he probably knows that he really can have any woman that he wants......as long as they're not Roman Catholic. Do you think that his family would accept a poor, ugly, girl? Does his future wife have to be gorgeous and rich? I mean it wouldn't be fair.....what if the girl was a wonderful girl inside and smart? Or do you think that the royal family would still accept her? Yet, what about any royal families? I'm just asking...not meaning that everything that I'm asking is going to happen or anything. I'm sure it might sound stupid...

William will not marry Kate Middleton. It's his duty to make an appropriate marriage as a future king. She does not fit the bill.

Lisele said:
First of all Crown Princess Mary, Princess Grace, Princess Alexandra (of Denmark I presume) were created princesses in their own right by the monarch. If you are not created a princess by the monarch, you take your husbands name. Diana, Princess of Wales was not entitled to "Princess Diana" and she always corrected people when they called her that. She was officially known as HRH The Princess of Wales or Princess Charles (before her divorce from Prince Charles).

Diana was never "Princess Charles" only HRH the Princess of Wales as the wife of the Prince of Wales. The style "Princess Husband's Name" is only appropriate if married to a prince of the UK who holds no other peerage or title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom