Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that's not an automatic.
But for many people it's it logical that this is the UK's heir apparent sorry crown prince(ss?) title (I know that the exception was Elizabeth II).

It could well be that the Prince of Wales title will end with Charles. He strikes me as the type of chap to take into account what the Welsh people want and there is every possibility that the Welsh will not want the title used by an Englishman again. There were demonstrations at Charles investiture and William was roundly condemned by the Welsh for not supporting Wales in the Rugby.

With all the drama surrounding Prince William and Kate Middleton at the moment, it got me thinking some more about the future weddings of the two brothers, and the titles they might then receive.

I know it's a common practice to bestow dukedoms on the occasion of a royal (British) marriage, but what are the chances of Prince Harry being offered a - temporary - earldom instead?

It has a precedent (i.e. the Wessex titles, while Prince Edward and The Countess "wait" for the Edinburgh dukedom). Prince Harry could become an "heir" of sorts to The Duke of York. The chances of Prince Andrew having a male heir still are very slim. It might be that in due time, Harry could receive the dukedom of York - as he will one day be the second son of the Monarch?

Prince Harry could become an "heir" of sorts to The Duke of York. The chances of Prince Andrew having a male heir still are very slim. It might be that in due time, Harry could receive the dukedom of York - as he will one day be the second son of the Monarch?

I don't think we will see PH get the Duke of York title. I think Charles will let it revert back to the crown when Andrew dies and then perhaps William will bestow it upon his second son (if he has one of course).

I think Harry's title will be an old one that has been out of use for a while, like Cambridge or Connaught. I like Connaught a lot since the original Duke (Arthur, 3rd son of Victoria) had a long history with the British Army. That might be a fitting title for Harry if he continues to serve, which I think he will.

I'm not sure about William's title, but I do believe he will get one when and if he marries. In Victoria's time, the number 3 heir to the throne was given the title of Duke of Clarence and Avondale. But alas, he died before he married, plus was rumored to be Jack the Ripper, so the title doesn't have that great of history with it. But William IV was a Duke of Clarence so perhaps the Royal Family will choose to skip over a bit of murky history and focus on the fact that a Prince William who became king was once a Duke of Clarence.

I think Clarence is unlikely to be re-created for William. It still is extant as an earldom with the dukedom of Albany (currently suspended under the Titles Deprivation Act for the descendants of Charles Eduard, Duke of Saxe-Coburg), and may be considered to be somewhat morbid with the premature death of Prince Eddy, who was in William's position as the spare.

I think it's very possible William and Harry will both be created Earls if they marry while The Queen reigns. This will be in line with a "downsized" royal family and allows Charles to decide what dukedom to grant Harry once he is King (William will automatically become The Duke of Cornwall as the heir).

The Duke of Clarence and Avondale was born 2nd in line to the throne e.g. the same position now held by William. He was the eldest son and child of the Prince of Wales - Edward VII.

George V was born 3rd in line and became 2nd when his brother died. He was created Duke of York by Queen Victoria and then inherited the Dukes of Cornwall and Rothesay titles when Victoria died and he became the eldest surviving son of the king. For most of 1901 he was known officially as the Duke of Cornwall and York. In November that year his father created him Prince of Wales. In 1910 the York title merged with the crown and was then used for George VI - George V's 2nd son.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Harry's title will be an old one that has been out of use for a while, like Cambridge or Connaught. I like Connaught a lot since the original Duke (Arthur, 3rd son of Victoria) had a long history with the British Army. That might be a fitting title for Harry if he continues to serve, which I think he will.

Connaught is unlikely to be ever recreated as it is in the Republic Ireland. But there is also the Title Duke of Sussex who could be recreated.

Last edited:
Duke of Sussex is a strong possibility for Harry, along with Cambridge.

Cambridge for William until he becomes DOC And Sussex for Prince Henry.

I think Harry or William will be named Duke Of Lancaster. York and Lancaster were both absorbed into the crown after the War of The Roses. I think that since both of Diana's sons are Plantaganets, Tudors and Windsors (Saxe-Coburg Gotha's), I think it would be logical for the Queen to give up this Dukedom to one of Charles' sons - probably Prince William so that upon his becoming Prince Of Wales it can be absorbed into the crown again.

Another we haven't spoken of, though it also has bad connotations in it's past is the Dukedom Of Windsor. I know that Elizabeth was extremely fond of her Uncle David. So I think it would be a logical way to honor him to name Harry the Duke Of Windsor.

The "duke of Windsor" sounds weird to me though, since all the Brittish royals (at least most of them) are Windsors.

I think Harry or William will be named Duke Of Lancaster. York and Lancaster were both absorbed into the crown after the War of The Roses. I think that since both of Diana's sons are Plantaganets, Tudors and Windsors (Saxe-Coburg Gotha's), I think it would be logical for the Queen to give up this Dukedom to one of Charles' sons - probably Prince William so that upon his becoming Prince Of Wales it can be absorbed into the crown again.

The queen is the current Duke of Lancaster and after her Charles will be Duke of Lancaster as the Duchy always belongs to the souverain.

More than just Lancaster belonging to the Crown, the Duchy provides the Sovereign with their private income just as the Duchy of Cornwall does for the POW.

I have heard that the Duchy of Cornwall was one that was really worth having revenue wise.... I think Prince Charles was made the Duke of Cornwall almost at birth so would have been receiving this revenue very early on. Am I wrong?

I have heard that the Duchy of Cornwall was one that was really worth having revenue wise.... I think Prince Charles was made the Duke of Cornwall almost at birth so would have been receiving this revenue very early on. Am I wrong?

I'm sure this information is to be found at other places as well, but again: :flowers:

The Duchy of Cornwall was created to provide the heir of the throne with an independant income. But there's a "But" to it: The income is reserved exclusively for the "eldest son of the souverain". So Charles became Duke of Cornwall and recipient of the Duchy's income when his mother became queen. I think he was 3 years old when his grandfather died.

If Charles dies before his mother, his son will not be "Duke of Cornwall" and get the money from the Duchy, as William is only the senior grandson of the queen. I hope you understand the system.

When Charles reached his majority, he gained control of the Duchy, but it was still manged for some years by representatives. And after that it took quite some years to make the Duchy into a successful business. That's why Charles today has a rich income from it but didn't when he had to pay for Diana's expenses and later when he divorced Diana. He even has been so successful as a businessman that some MPs tought it might be better of put the Duchy under public control...

That's about the Duchy of Cornwall. The Duchy of Lancaster would be equally nice to benefit from....

Especially if that prime Lancaster property which is now the site of the Savoy hotel still belonged to it...
In its heyday the Savoy Palace had 3,000 people living in it.

Cambridge for William until he becomes DOC And Sussex for Prince Henry.

He would remain Duke of Cambridge until he became King and like George V would been known as Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge until created Prince of Wales - in 1901 George V was known as Duke of Cornwall and York from January to November and that is how he appears on the official documents relating to the opening of the first ever Australian Parliament on May 9th that year.

I still think The Queen would create William and/or Harry earls for now. The point is to provide a style for their wives so they don't have to be known as Princess William or Henry. Dukedoms are usually granted only to sons of the Sovereigns and neither would be that yet.

I still think The Queen would create William and/or Harry earls for now. The point is to provide a style for their wives so they don't have to be known as Princess William or Henry. Dukedoms are usually granted only to sons of the Sovereigns and neither would be that yet.

Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, did not live to see his father Edward become king, so I guess there is a precedence that queen Victoria created at least this grandson a Royal Duke.

Yeah, since the grandsons are adults, they deserve titles. Maybe they won't get it before they get married though.

I think the Queen is unlikley to create the boys as Earls as she is not going to want William and Harry, as more senior royals, to have lesser titles than Andrew and possibly, Edward (in the event of the DoE pre-deceasing the Queen and the Edinburgh title being bestowed on Edward). My view is that if the are given titles, they will be given dukedoms.

I think the Queen is unlikley to create the boys as Earls as she is not going to want William and Harry, as more senior royals, to have lesser titles than Andrew and possibly, Edward (in the event of the DoE pre-deceasing the Queen and the Edinburgh title being bestowed on Edward).

If the DoE predeceases the queen the title is inherited by the eldest son, which is Charles. Once the queen dies and Charles becomes the souverain, the title merges with the Crown and can be recreated for Edward. But Edward will not inherit it from his father, it will be a new creation by king Charles.

I think the Queen is unlikley to create the boys as Earls as she is not going to want William and Harry, as more senior royals, to have lesser titles than Andrew and possibly, Edward (in the event of the DoE pre-deceasing the Queen and the Edinburgh title being bestowed on Edward). My view is that if the are given titles, they will be given dukedoms.

The only way for Edward to inherit the DOE title is for Charles, William, Harry and Andrew to predecease the Queen then Beatrice becomes Queen and Edward can inherit the DOE title directly.

Currently the line of succession for the DOE title is:

Charles
William
Harry
Andrew
Edward

because the title has the normal inheritance rule regarding male inheritance and not allowing female inheritance.

At the time of Edwards marriage to Sophie when he was created Earl of Wessex, it was also announced that it was intended that Edward be created DoE after the death of his father. Both you and JoP are correct that the title would not automatically pass to Edward. If the Queen predeceases the DoE, the title would merge with the crown, and Charles as King, would probably create Edward as DoE subsequently. If on the other hand the Queen is still alive at the time of the death of Prince Philip, the title would automatically pass to Charles. At that stage, the Queen as monarch and font of all honours and titles would need to work through the specifics to then create Edward as DoE. I am not sure exactly what the process might entail, but I am sure sombody on the forums will have a good idea on how this might be effected.

The announcement actually was that the intention was the Edward would become DOE after the death of both the Queen and the present Duke of Edinburgh - i.e. after the title has merged with the Crown through Charles becoming King - after he has either inherited it in the reign of his mother or as King.

Either way Charles has to become King and Philip die before Edward can become DOE.

BBC NEWS | Special Report | 1999 | 06/99 | royal wedding | Wessex titles for Edward and Sophie
Royal Insight > March 2004 > Focus > The Earl of Wessex at 40 This one says:
"Buckingham Palace also announced that the Earl would inherit the title 'Duke of Edinburgh' when that title reverts back to the throne." This will happen when Charles becomes King and his father is dead.

There are a number of other reports that make this perfectly clear - Edward will be created Duke of Edinburgh only after both his parents have died and the title has merged with the Crown.

You are quite right, it is intended that Edward will be created DoE only after the death of both his parents and after the title has reverted back to the crown. Well done for remembering this, and better still for digging up the weblink - it amazes me how much one can pick up on the forums, so thank you once again.

That said, my earlier point remains. If created Earls, William and Harry will have lesser titles than Prince Andrew as Duke of York, even though they are closer to the throne. I am sure this is an avoidable inconsistency that BP would like to avoid.

On the other hand making them Earls during the reign of the present monarch emphsises the fact that Andrew is the son of the monarch whereas William and Harry are only the grandsons.

I think that eventually they will both get Dukedoms in their own right but...

i guess where I disagree is that the son of the prince of wales is a more senior royal than the duke of york. needless to say, it will be interesting to see which of us is eventually correct!

i guess where I disagree is that the son of the prince of wales is a more senior royal than the duke of york. needless to say, it will be interesting to see which of us is eventually correct!

I saw this on internet under Royal Precedence in England and Wales.

Most members of the royal family have a place in the order of precedence. However, that place is not based on the order of succession to the throne. Thus, the duke of Edinburgh precedes his son the prince of Wales (except in Parliament), and the brothers of the prince of Wales precede his sons.

Which makes Muriel perfectly correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom