The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2017, 03:00 AM
Majesty

[QUOTE=FashionMaven;2023393]I never knew this. "Prince/ss" isn't a substantive title and is instead a courtesy title?

And thanks for this explanation - the concept of Princes/sses being "commoners" until they are granted a peerage and carrying the title of Prince/ss before that now makes a whole lot more sense. Now I get what people were saying when they said that the Prince title was about degree of relation to the sovereign.

I'm learning so much! You guys are all great.

Wait - does getting a Peerage impact the different kinds of charity work royals can do?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Harry's type of patronages will not change when he is a Duke.

The more senior a royal you are considered, the more Recognition you get. Beatrice and Eugenie for instance have a number of patronages, but they get little to know CC aknowledge for the work as they are considered not to be working royals. If they were working royals, the kind of charity work they do wouldn't change, simply they would be in the court circular and likely get some compensation for costs.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Aristocracy

Could Harry be Duke of Strathearn?

Old 10-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Could Harry be Duke of Strathearn?
William already holds that title I believe.

Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, and Baron Carrickfergus.

LaRae
Old 10-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Aristocracy

You're right.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I think there's several options for Harry..they've been posted several times in the thread if you want to scroll back.

I like the Duke of Clarence myself.

LaRae
Old 10-04-2017, 12:07 AM
Aristocracy

I wouldn't mind Duke of Clarence. Could very well be fitting if Harry ends up with Clarence House as his main residence.

Someone mentioned Avondale as a possibility and I have to say, on a superficial note, I do like the sound of that, much more so than the other likely options.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:18 AM
Majesty

Avondale we stumble across the same question: Scottish as the senior title??? Not unheard of (Edinburgh obviously) but rare.

Traditionally they use their local title when they are in the region, as Charles (Rothesy) and William (Strathearn) do in Scotland. Considering they would live in England, it would be a bit odd Harry would be referred to by his secondary title on a regular basis. The only duke of Avondale was both Clarence and Avondale, a double duchy, so it wasn't an issue. Such hasn't been done in generations.

Earl of Avondale perhaps, has been done in past, if they done use Clarence as the duchy.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:29 AM
Aristocracy

Oh, I'm with you on all of that. I wasn't necessarily advocating for Avondale as a main title, just noting that I like the sound of it.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

The question of a Coat of Arms for Meghan if she marries Harry is an interesting one and so I have moved posts relating to it over to the Royal Cyphers, Coronets, Arms and Monograms thread.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Avondale we stumble across the same question: Scottish as the senior title??? Not unheard of (Edinburgh obviously) but rare.

Traditionally they use their local title when they are in the region, as Charles (Rothesy) and William (Strathearn) do in Scotland. Considering they would live in England, it would be a bit odd Harry would be referred to by his secondary title on a regular basis. The only duke of Avondale was both Clarence and Avondale, a double duchy, so it wasn't an issue. Such hasn't been done in generations.

Earl of Avondale perhaps, has been done in past, if they done use Clarence as the duchy.
Well, if Harry would become Duke of Avondale than that would be his primary title not his secondary title - and I am quite sure that would use that title in England too. The Duke of Edinburgh is known as Duke of Edinburgh all over; he doesn't use 'Baron Greenwich' in England and 'Earl of Merioneth' in Wales
Old 10-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Harry may request that his children be born with the title of HRH. If Harry asks his grandmother to issue specific LP's my guess is she would not say no.
I 100% agree.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I seriously don't think Harry would even have to ask and it will just be done for the reason being that should any of Harry's children be born without a HRH title, they would be that way for only a relatively short amount of time.

For all we know, by the time we're peering anxiously at the outside of the Lindo wing for Harry's first child to be born, that child will be born as a HRH as the grandson/granddaughter of the monarch.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I don't think you understand how it works.

What Harry wants has nothing to do with it. The current LPs say that the following people are HRH Prince/Princesses:
- the children of a monarch
- the male-line grandchildren of a monarch
- the children of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales

Harry's children are not covered, therefore they'll be styled as Lord/Lady, until such time as they are the male-line grandchildren of a monarch.
You do know The Queen can change the LPs right and allow Harry's kids to be HRH. At the end of the day we don't know what will happen.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Royal Highness

and sobering, but true Osipi..
Old 10-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I seriously don't think Harry would even have to ask and it will just be done for the reason being that should any of Harry's children be born without a HRH title, they would be that way for only a relatively short amount of time.
I doubt it. Why wouldn't the queen have covered that when she issued LP for William's children? It would have been really easy to cover it by stipulating that 'all male-line grandchildren of the Prince of Wales' would receive the style of Royal highness and be prince(sse)s. She, however, decided to limit it to all children of the eldest son of the PoW.

Moreover, it could be that Harry's children are never grandchildren of the monarch if the crown passes directly from the queen to Wiliam.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

William doesn't have the option to pull a Wessex and turn down HRHs for his children. Harry has that option. William's kids will be working royals. Harry's children -it is not given that they will be. Especially since they will be younger than George, Charlotte and C3, so all 3 will be working royals to some extent before Harry's children will be old enough to do anything. They are basically the Bea and Eugenie of the next generation.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Moreover, it could be that Harry's children are never grandchildren of the monarch if the crown passes directly from the queen to Wiliam.
Well we know the only way that would happen and I wouldn't bet on it.

As for the Queen not issuing LPs for all grandchildren of the PoW, maybe she wasn't comfortable doing so before Harry even had a wife. Perhaps she prefers to handle these things as they come.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With the Queen's longevity, having an heir to the heir to the heir (more heirs than William has on his head almost) to the throne that was born as a great grandchild was really kind of unprecedented and the Queen issued letters patent because of that. Now with the Cambridges going on baby #3, all three of those children are covered and are HRH.

I imagine that with Harry, they decided that they would approach any problem of titles for his children if and when the time came. His firstborn may be born in the Queen's reign or even Charles or William's reign so there's nothing etched in stone yet for Harry's kids. If he and Meghan were to marry tomorrow by a Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas and Harry was not given a dukedom, his children would be Master or Miss if the Queen still reigned.

I think I got that right. Low on caffeine here. Need coffee
Old 10-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Well we know the only way that would happen and I wouldn't bet on it.
Nor would I, but the post I responded to suggested that Harry's children could well be born as grandchildren of the monarch, and we also know what that implies. Both scenarios could happen as much as we don't like to think about it.

Quote:
As for the Queen not issuing LPs for all grandchildren of the PoW, maybe she wasn't comfortable doing so before Harry even had a wife. Perhaps she prefers to handle these things as they come.
That could very well be the case but if she had made her mind up about it (which probably would be the case if 'Harry doesn't even need to ask') than issueing LPs covering both situations would make more sense to me. If it is still up for debate, the situation would be different.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Both scenarios
Actually only ONE scenario, if the PoW predeceases his Mother.
Even if he abdicates half an hour after his Mothers death, he will still have been King, and thus Harry's Children will have been Grandchildren of a King, and therefore be Royal Highnesses.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles