The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2017, 01:12 AM
Aristocracy

True, but Windsor is definitely out.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:20 AM
Majesty

Yes all titles have history. But history so fresh and recent as Windsor is another matter. I don't see the queen, or even Charles, bestowing that title any time soon.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Windsor will be put on the shelf for decades to come ...perhaps a century.

LaRae
Old 09-27-2017, 01:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Windsor will likely never be used again. It was created once, and unless the situation arises won't likely be created again.

My comment was specifically in regards to the statement that Clarence won't be used because it has tragic history. Clarence has been used several times, and will in all likelihood be used again in the future. It having a tragic history with one or two holders won't prevent that - after all, York has lots of bad history but keeps on getting used. Cambridge also has its share of negative history.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:31 AM
Aristocracy

I would like for Harry to have either a brand new dukedom title or one so ancient that everyone will be shocked when he gets it.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I think bertie or someone else has posted in the thread at least once (more than I am sure) a list of available dukedom's. I just can never remember them!

LaRae
Old 09-27-2017, 01:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Neither can I, Pranter! And the sad thing is, it's not a particularly long list...
Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
I would like for Harry to have either a brand new dukedom title or one so ancient that everyone will be shocked when he gets it.
There aren't really any ancient ones that are not being used in some way (like an earl or marquis if not duke). The only real old one would be the Duke of Hereford. It was created only once for the son of John of Gaunt. It merged with the throne in 1399 when its holder became Henry IV.

If they wanted to avoid the obvious bad history of Clarence, they could elevate one of its former subsidiary titles to Duke. The Duke of Clarence, brother of Edward IV and Richard III was Earl of Salisbury. Duke of Salisbury? The earldom was forefeited by his daughter in 1539 and not used since.

More likely it will be something more modern.

Ones available (many with no royal connection though)

Windsor
Cleveland
Buckingham
Sussex
Kendal
Clarence
Montagu
New Castle (though the last duke only died in the 80's so not sure it would be recreated so soon)
Bridgewater
Dorset
Chandos (has been used with Buckingham or alone)
Kingston upon hull
Ancaster
Leeds (last died in 60s)
Southhampton
Sussex
Portsmouth (created for a royal mistress so pretty unlikely)
Old 09-27-2017, 02:23 AM
Courtier

Clarence, Kendal, Kintyre, Lorne, Ross, Sussex (& Windsor) seem to be extinct Royal Dukedoms available to be recreated.
There is a Viscount Hereford so Hereford is being used currently.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:55 AM
Aristocracy

Ross is Scottish, so no go. There is an Earl of Suffolk, so no for that as well. I like Buckingham and Montagu the best.

Isn't the title Duke of Exeter available? What about Duke of Warwick?
Old 09-27-2017, 03:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

There is an Earl of Warwick with heirs so no Duke there and there is a Marquis of Exeter so again no Duke there. The Exeter title was originally a Dukedom but its last creation was as a Marquis by George III.

Ross wouldn't be a problem just because it is Scottish as Scotland is part of the UK. It has only been created twice - once for the second son of the King (although it was by his brother and not his father who had created him Earl of Ross) and once for the fourth son of the King of Scotland. Neither had any children.

Of course it would be the first creation of the title in the peerage of the UK rather than the peerage of Scotland which may create some issues for the Scots.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Portsmouth (created for a royal mistress so pretty unlikely)
Unlikely or not but Harry is a descendant of the Duchess of Portsmouth through his mother.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Clarence, Kendal, Kintyre, Lorne, Ross, Sussex (& Windsor) seem to be extinct Royal Dukedoms available to be recreated.
There is a Viscount Hereford so Hereford is being used currently.
Kintyre and Lorne are also in use. That's why I didn't include them in my post yesterday.

The current holder (since 2001) for Kintyre is Torquhil Campbell, 13th Duke of Arguill, 16th Lord of Kintyre (second page of honor to the Queen from 1981 to 1983). His oldest son, Archie Campbell (third page of honor to the Queen since 2015) goes by the title Marquess of Lorne.

From my perspective the options (all used as royal dukedom before) are:
* Clarence
* Sussex
* Avondale
* Kendal
* Ross

The first two are most likely, however, a surprise would be nice. Personally, I really like 'Duke of Ross' for Harry. It has a nice sound to it and seems to fit his personality (as far as a title fits with soecific personalities). Avondale also has a nice ring to it but not necessarily for Harry.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Kintyre and Lorne are also in use. That's why I didn't include them in my post yesterday.

The current holder (since 2001) for Kintyre is Torquhil Campbell, 13th Duke of Arguill, 16th Lord of Kintyre (second page of honor to the Queen from 1981 to 1983). His oldest son, Archie Campbell (third page of honor to the Queen since 2015) goes by the title Marquess of Lorne.
Ahh, thanks. I missed those in my research.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Aristocracy

What about Buckingham?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What about Buckingham?
I like that one too.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
What about Buckingham?
One of them was even a character in "The Three Musketeers." Not sure if that is a positive or negative when considering it as a title for Harry.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
What about Buckingham?
Earlier creations weren't royal dukedoms.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Aristocracy

Well, William's current title wasn't a Dukedom originally, either, I don't think. And I think Buckingham is a great fit for Harry.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well, William's current title wasn't a Dukedom originally, either, I don't think. And I think Buckingham is a great fit for Harry.

Cambridge has formally been created as a Dukedom 5 times, with individuals being styled as Duke of Cambridge but not actually created such two other times.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles