The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

What is left in Regards to England ,Wales and Scotland? :) im not sure.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM

Nor me. But I have a feeling that Harry will get a Welsh title to try and improve the Welsh relations. Or possibly something Scottish for the same reason.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
If Harry persists in his relationship with the, IMO, dreadful Miss Davy then they may need to revive "Duke of Windsor"!!
LOL! Quite the idea!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I'm not sure that the Queen and especially Parliament is going to want to potentially upset the Northern Irish situation by handing out Irish peerages to either of the Wales boys. Prince Andrew got a subisdiary Irish title but Prince Edward didn't. Prince Harry may end up with a series of titles like Prince Philip: one English, one Welsh, and one Scottish.
Although in Spain we have a parallel situation, with the Basque section, I don't see why they could get upset since Northern Ireland is part of the Crown. But you post from Britain, right? Won't giving a traditional Irish title help a little?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
If Harry persists in his relationship with the, IMO, dreadful Miss Davy then they may need to revive "Duke of Windsor"!!
Very clever idea!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ive got it!! Prince Henry Duke of Kendal ,Earl of Peterbrough,Baron Haselmere and Viscount Belfast
Old 05-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Royal Highness

I like the Duke of Kendal, has a nice ring to it. Kind of Kendal/Ken doll. Although Chelsy will be more like a Malibu Stacy to that Kendal's Barbie doll.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Although in Spain we have a parallel situation, with the Basque section, I don't see why they could get upset since Northern Ireland is part of the Crown. But you post from Britain, right? Won't giving a traditional Irish title help a little?
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't; it'd be seen as some sort of claim of ownership by Britain that would throw fuel on nationalist flames.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Aristocracy

Well, then I guess the Duke of Cambridge is definitely out of the question, which is a shame because I like that name too. Wasn't the last DoC George from Hanover? He was the one that married the actress and had some kids with her out of wedlock right? I remember paying attention in class when teacher spoke of him because I remember her saying he thought arranged marriage were doomed to fail or something of that nature and had a secret wedding with his wife.

That story was a crazy one. He seemed to be the type of man who was always going against the grain.
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Dukedom of Cambridge is an English peerage and is traditionally associated with junior sons of the Sovereign. It was last created for Prince Adolphus, seventh son of George III. Upon the death of his son, Prince George, the dukedom became extinct.

It was then re-created as a marquessate for Queen Mary's brother, Adolphus, Duke of Teck, when George V ordered his relatives to cease using their German titles and honours in the UK in 1917. It became extinct again in 1981 after the death of his son, George.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Aristocracy

That would be quite dashing then. Duke of Cambridge would be awesome and it's English and you know the last duke was a bit of rebel like Harry, so why not? My vote is Duke of Cambridge. I'm sure all the dukedoms have a bit of scandal so the Duke of C shouldn't be as bad as all that. Although, Geroge, the last duke, was known to give out rankings according to social status as opposed to merit and to hinder the glory of the British army for a bit, but c'est la vie.
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Is it certain he will get a dukedom anyway? His uncle Edward, who was even the son of a reigning monarch (which Harry is not...yet) did only recieve an earldom.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Edward will become The Duke of Edinburgh after the death of Prince Philip and the ascension of Charles to the throne, so it's highly likely Harry will receive a dukedom upon marriage regardless.

It's not impossible that Harry will receive an earldom instead, but this would be unusual, especially if he marries while still being third or second in line for succession to the throne. Once William marries and has children, then Harry's place becomes less important, but this could be years away.

I think Harry will be granted a dukedom.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't; it'd be seen as some sort of claim of ownership by Britain that would throw fuel on nationalist flames.
That bad? Over here, the other side of the Atlantic Pond, we hardly heard anything new on the issues between North Ireland and Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Edward will become The Duke of Edinburgh after the death of Prince Philip and the ascension of Charles to the throne, so it's highly likely Harry will receive a dukedom upon marriage regardless.
It's not impossible that Harry will receive an earldom instead, but this would be unusual, especially if he marries while still being third or second in line for succession to the throne. Once William marries and has children, then Harry's place becomes less important, but this could be years away.
I think Harry will be granted a dukedom.
Edward will be given that title?
Why not simply upgrade the Earlship he has into a Dukedom?
Is there one reserved specifically for the husband of a Queen?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Edward & Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Edward will be given that title?
Why not simply upgrade the Earlship he has into a Dukedom?
Toledo, the issue of Edward eventually becoming Duke of Edinburgh was announced at the time of his wedding in 1999. It works like this: the Duke of Edinburgh dies and the dukedom reverts to the Crown. When Charles becomes King he will re-create the dukedom for Edward. Branchg can provide the detail, but this is the gist. :)
Old 05-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Toledo, the issue of Edward eventually becoming Duke of Edinburgh was announced at the time of his wedding in 1999. It works like this: the Duke of Edinburgh dies and the dukedom reverts to the Crown. When Charles becomes King he will re-create the dukedom for Edward. Branchg can provide the detail, but this is the gist. :)
Does this mean that potentially there could be no Duke of Edinburgh for a period of several years. Let's say, for example that the Duke of Edinburgh dies and the Queen dies 5 years later. Does it mean that for that 5 year period the title of Duke of Edinburgh would lie vacant?(This is all fictional, Im not suggesting in any way, shape or form that I'd like the above to apply). Furthermore, is Charles obliged to re-create the Dukedom, what if he simply decided he didn't want to?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Does this mean that potentially there could be no Duke of Edinburgh for a period of several years. Let's say, for example that the Duke of Edinburgh dies and the Queen dies 5 years later. Does it mean that for that 5 year period the title of Duke of Edinburgh would lie vacant?(This is all fictional, Im not suggesting in any way, shape or form that I'd like the above to apply). Furthermore, is Charles obliged to re-create the Dukedom, what if he simply decided he didn't want to?
When Prince Philip dies, Charles, as his eldest son, automatically inherits the Dukedom of Edinburgh. If The Queen is still alive, Charles would simply add his father's titles to his existing ones as the heir to the throne. If both The Queen and Prince Philip have passed on, his father's titles would merge with the Crown (the Sovereign cannot be a peer) and be available again.

The plan is for Charles to re-create the dukedom of Edinburgh for Prince Edward once he is King. As the Sovereign, he would be under no obligation to do so since he is the fount of honour.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
When Prince Philip dies, Charles, as his eldest son, automatically inherits the Dukedom of Edinburgh. If The Queen is still alive, Charles would simply add his father's titles to his existing ones as the heir to the throne. If both The Queen and Prince Philip have passed on, his father's titles would merge with the Crown (the Sovereign cannot be a peer) and be available again.

The plan is for Charles to re-create the dukedom of Edinburgh for Prince Edward once he is King. As the Sovereign, he would be under no obligation to do so since he is the fount of honour.
Ah, I see. Thanks very much for that information. It's fascinating and I'm slightly ashamed with myself for not knowing more about how the system works.

As Charles has plenty of titles already, I'm sure he won't mind letting his baby brother be Duke of Edinburgh if and when that situation arises.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Ah, I see. Thanks very much for that information. It's fascinating and I'm slightly ashamed with myself for not knowing more about how the system works.

As Charles has plenty of titles already, I'm sure he won't mind letting his baby brother be Duke of Edinburgh if and when that situation arises.
Asking a question about a situation we are not familiar with is nothing to be ashamed of. I did not know it either. Thanks Warren and Branchg for your answers.
But I still think the Edinburgh title should be reserved for someone really special like William's kids, his brother Harry or, why not?, Camilla herself in case she can't get the title of Queen. In that way the title gets associated with the consort of the monarch. Edward has already the title of Duke of York, why then double-Duke him? And we go back to the basics on this musical chairs titlefest, if he ceases to be Duke of York what do we do with Ex-wife Sarah's consort title?
So, let Edward have York and keep Scotland's capital for another royal generation in the works.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Andrew is the Duke of York, which recently has been the traditional title given to the sovereign's second son. Edward wasn't given a dukedom - he's Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn - and it was said at the time that part of the reason for this is that the plan was for him to be created Duke of Edinburgh in due course after the death of both parents. Among other considerations, this was supposed to be in recognition of the fact that Edward is the one who's taking over the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme duties from Prince Philip.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Royal Highness

Elspeth, I just realized I got my Windsors mixed up!
Andrew is the one with Sarah Fergusson and Edward is the younger one married to Sophie. Time for me to get some sleep.
But I still think Edinburgh's title should be reserved for a really special person like a consort and not for the 4th royal kid and his wife.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles