The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Assuming Harry becomes a duke, will his son then become an earl or a viscount?

(When Antony Armstrong-Jones became the Earl of Snowdon, his son became Viscount Linley).
If Harry's children are HRHs, which would be the current legal rule when Charles is king, then they will be known as Prince/Princess [Given Name] of [territorial designation of Harry's dukedom]. Harry's eldest son will use his father's subsidiary title (probably an earl) if he is not simultaneoulsy a prince; Harry's other younger children in that situation would be Lord/Lady [Given Name] Mountbatten-Windsor.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
In my understanding only sons of a Sovereign and of a Heir are created Dukes. Then their titles are inherited by their respective eldest sons, as we can see with the Kents and the Gloucesters.

The Dukedom of Prince Andrew will revert back to the Crown. The Dukedom of Prince Philip will revert back to the Crown. The Dukedom of Prince William will revert back to the Crown.

So from the record-breaking long Reign of Queen Elizabeth possibly only the Dukedom for Prince Harry will be a "lasting" one, when she is the creator and her grandson will have a male heir. After all an eventual Dukedom for Prince Edward will always be the prerogative of King Charles.

So little danger for "running out of Dukedoms". ;-)
I highly doubt Charles will not create the title for his brother as is the will of his mother. Edward has done and will do so much for the DoE (as has his wife) so it is only fitting they are the future Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.

I can see Harry being created Duke of Sussex over Duke of Clarence personally. I do think that Sussex is very similar to Wessex though, but Edward wont be Earl of Wessex forever so it's not really an issue.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
They change that and the titles can be passed down through both the sons and the daughters, there's more chances of royal dukedoms not reverting to the crown to be created anew.

Interesting topic.
well that's my point. IF those Royal dukedoms run out, supposing George has 4 sons or something, what would happen? is it possible that in years to come the RF will stop this practice? and its possible that there might be pressure to allow daughters to get similar titles, in the name of Gender equality.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Unless the Cambridges have more children, you have 2 Dukedom to be passed out Harry and Edward as Edinburgh. You get back Andrew's, Philip's to be given to Edward, Cambridge from William, if George get a Dukedom before Cornwall that goes back to the Crown. You are okay until George's kids or if William and Kate have 2 more boys.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

OK I give up....
Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

No, don't give up. Look at Queen Victoria. She didn't give any 'old' historic Dukedoms to her younger sons. She gave Edinburgh to her second son, not York (it's immaterial really as to why she did so) one was Albany and the other the completely new Dukedom of Connaught.

Wessex is an earldom but is completely 'made-up' and new. In theory, if the Dukedoms of Gloucester, Kents and Sussex all go away from the royal family in future generations, the then sovereign is perfectly capable of given sons or grandsons the title of other counties or areas in the UK. It's unfortunate that new ones in George's reign probably won't have the old Royal provenance of a Gloucester or perhaps Clarence, (though that may be used again) but they will still be Royal Dukedoms. They won't ever run out.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

The royals are not going to be vanguards on gender equality and start giving the female royals Dukedoms and allow female peerage inheritance when the non royals peerages don't. There is not a giant fortune or stately home with these royal Dukedoms so how would say Beatrice benefit from being a Duchess in addition to a HRH Princess?

If George has 4 sons, they won't get Dukedoms until they married so that probably at least 50 to 60 years in the future for the first son. Lots of things could change by then
Old 04-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

So you're sayig that they will make up titles? of course since they are not land related, unlike prevous titles of nobility, in a sense it does not matter.. if they are completely "made up".
However these titles have usually had some royal connextion.. have't they? Edinburgh is an old Scottish place. Connaught, well a bit of a stretch but it maybe a desire to give the Irish a "royal title" form their land.
Wessex of course has a long LONG royal history. Albany too, I'm sure was a title belonging to the Royal house of Scotland, prior to its union with England?
I just wondered if instead of making up a title like Earl of Milton Keynes... the RF might decide in George's day.. "this is soemthig that we shodl drop and the sons wil just be Prince Robert of Cambridge or Wales for life...
Old 04-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Wessex had a long Royal association with the Anglo Saxon Kings but hasn't been used since the Normans and certainly not within the BRF. There are literally thousands of places in Britain both large and small which have some historic Royal associations so I don't think they will ever be short of place names. Who knows what will happen in the future. By the time George has sons (if he does) there may well be no more monarchy, so he won't need to worry!
Old 04-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
So you're sayig that they will make up titles? of course since they are not land related, unlike prevous titles of nobility, in a sense it does not matter.. if they are completely "made up".
However these titles have usually had some royal connextion.. have't they? Edinburgh is an old Scottish place. Connaught, well a bit of a stretch but it maybe a desire to give the Irish a "royal title" form their land.
Wessex of course has a long LONG royal history. Albany too, I'm sure was a title belonging to the Royal house of Scotland, prior to its union with England?
I just wondered if instead of making up a title like Earl of Milton Keynes... the RF might decide in George's day.. "this is soemthig that we shodl drop and the sons wil just be Prince Robert of Cambridge or Wales for life...

They could very easily make up new titles or revive long dead titles - Wessex hadn't been used for a thousand years. Some of the titles we think of as "royal" aren't that old at all; we think of Kent as being an old royal dukedom, but it's only been created twice, the first time for one of the sons of George III.

They may also take lower titles and elevate them. Many Dukedoms were once Earldoms that got elevated.

There are still a few titles that could be used without making up new ones, although Kent, Gloucester, and (likely) Edinburgh will all cease to be Royal in the next generation or so. Cambridge and York will very likely revert to the crown before George's kids are getting dukedoms.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I highly doubt Charles will not create the title for his brother as is the will of his mother. Edward has done and will do so much for the DoE (as has his wife) so it is only fitting they are the future Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.

I can see Harry being created Duke of Sussex over Duke of Clarence personally. I do think that Sussex is very similar to Wessex though, but Edward wont be Earl of Wessex forever so it's not really an issue.
I am sure it will be the will and pleasure of King Charles to create his brother Prince Edward a new Duke. But -despite it is a wish of their parents- it still will be a Letters Patent under the Seal of Charles III and not under Elizabeth II.

From the new-to-be-created Dukedom of Edinburgh we know that then HRH Prince James of Edinburgh (possibly better known as Lord James) is the heir. Deo Volente he once will become Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Wessex, Viscount Severn.

So far Lord James is the only grandchild of the Queen to inherit a peerage from his father and to procreate it furtherer. Harry can become the second to procreate a creation of Queen Elizabeth II. William does not "inherit" his father's titles, since these are not hereditary for the heirs of the body male but are connected to the position of the male heir to the throne.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Wessex had a long Royal association with the Anglo Saxon Kings but hasn't been used since the Normans and certainly not within the BRF. There are literally thousands of places in Britain both large and small which have some historic Royal associations so I don't think they will ever be short of place names. Who knows what will happen in the future. By the time George has sons (if he does) there may well be no more monarchy, so he won't need to worry!
I'm not worried.. I'm just curious. I wonder if when they do run out or low on of the old ones that have been used on and off for a while, they might decide to drop the "making a son a duke on marriage.." as it may seem like a very old fashioned way of marking his status..
there are a few thtat haven't been used/cant be, because they are in dispute Like D of Albany and I think D of Cumberland too? as for D of Clarence, given the history I think that they might want to leave that in abeyance for a longer time.
Sso because of all this, I just was curious as to what they might do if there are not many of the "well used" titles left. In the past, because people were more likely to die prematurely, there was a fair chance of dukedoms reverting to the crown..like the Dukedom of Edinburgh which of course reverted because Alfred died withuot a son.. And William D of Gloucester who was married to Princess Mary also died without a son. Edward D of York, brother of George III died without legitimate heirs and so on. but even if couples have only 2 or 3 kids, that sort of thing is (thank goodness) less likely to happen....
Old 04-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
OK I give up....
In the unlikely scenario that they run out of historical dukedoms, the king (or reigning queen) can always create a new one, with a different territorial designation.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I am sure it will be the will and pleasure of King Charles to create his brother Prince Edward a new Duke. But -despite it is a wish of their parents- it still will be a Letters Patent under the Seal of Charles III and not under Elizabeth II.

From the new-to-be-created Dukedom of Edinburgh we know that then HRH Prince James of Edinburgh (possibly better known as Lord James) is the heir. Deo Volente he once will become Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Wessex, Viscount Severn.

So far Lord James is the only grandchild of the Queen to inherit a peerage from his father and to procreate it furtherer. Harry can become the second to procreate a creation of Queen Elizabeth II. William does not "inherit" his father's titles, since these are not hereditary for the heirs of the body male but are connected to the position of the male heir to the throne.
William does inherit some of his father's titles. The Earldom of Carrick, the Earldom of Chester, and the Lordship of the Isles.

The Prince of Wales title should be granted to him. Rothesay and Cornwall titles are automatic.

I think Harry should remain a prince of Wales, but he could be a Duke of Sussex.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
William does inherit some of his father's titles. The Earldom of Carrick, the Earldom of Chester, and the Lordship of the Isles.

The Prince of Wales title should be granted to him. Rothesay and Cornwall titles are automatic.

I think Harry should remain a prince of Wales, but he could be a Duke of Sussex.
It doesn't make sense for Harry to remain Prince Harry of Wales after his father becomes King as Charles will no longer be Prince of Wales then. Either he will be known simply as HRH The Prince Henry, which would be a bit of a letdown, or he will be HRH The Duke of [xxx]. The latter is most likely if Harry ever gets married .

Again, we don't know if Harry will get married one day or if he will have any children of his own.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm willing to be there is one very important title that Harry is looking forward to being able to carry and hear a lot of and that is "Daddy".
Old 04-23-2017, 01:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post

William doesn’t inherit any of his father’s titles. They come under two categories:

1. Those that are held automatically by the heir apparent to the throne who is also the eldest son of the monarch. These are: Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesday, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.

If William was to predecease his father than George wouldn’t meet the criteria for any of these titles under the existing rules and so would hold none of them when Charles became King as he would only be the grandson of the monarch. That was the case with George III who never held any of these titles as the grandson and heir apparent of the King.

George would inherit the Cambridge title of course in that scenario again following the example set by George III who inherited the Edinburgh title from his father but was very quickly given the Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester titles by his grandfather so he used those titles while heir apparent but never held the others.

2. Those that may be created for him: These are Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester. Since 1301 the title Earl of Chester has been limited to the heir apparent but unlike the Duke of Cornwall title isn’t automatic and has to be recreated each time it is used. It has been recreated with the Prince of Wales title since the Middle Ages.

Harry will cease to be ‘of Wales’ the instant his father ceases to be the Prince of Wales by becoming King. He will then become HRH The Prince Henry. To remain HRH Prince Henry of Wales he would need his father to die without becoming King in which case he would keep the ‘of Wales’ in the same way that Prince Michael is ‘of Kent’ even though his brother is the Duke of Kent.

The most likely option would be that Harry will be given a dukedom on his wedding day in accordance with the precedence that the Queen has followed throughout her reign.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Please be reminded that this thread is specifically for discussing the titles and styles of Prince Harry, his future wife and children. For other members of the Royal Family, we have the following threads among others available for discussing their titles:

Questions about British Styles and Titles
Will Princess Charlotte of Cambridge get the Princess Royal title?
Prince George's Title
Titles of the Wessex Children

Let's get back on topic please.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:18 AM
Aristocracy

I think Harry should get Clarence as his title. Much fitting than Sussex.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
I think Harry should get Clarence as his title. Much fitting than Sussex.
Clarence has an pretty awful history.. the Duke who drowned in a butt of Malmsey, William IV who was a bit of an idiot, Albert Victor also an embarrassing royal. why is it better than Sussex>?

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles