The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Commoner

Here is a list of extinct dukedoms that i found on Wikipedia.org:

Old 04-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duke of Exeter for Harry and Duke of Clarence for William

Old 04-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
hi crisinaki, like I said above, if William gets married before the Queen dies, I think she'll bestow on him the title Duke of Clarence. I don't think he'll lose the title when Charles becomes King but he will probably be better known simply as the Prince of Wales (or Prince William)
I concur.

The title of Duke of Clarence would be correct for Wills if he married while the Queen is still alive.

Harry's title I'm not so sure about. Difficult to say at this point. Duke of Windsor is extinct according to Wiki, but it could be reinstated, no?

Awesome topic to say the least.:)
Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

I am thinking they will pass on the Duke of Windsor..just based on the history of the last Duke of Windsor.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why don't we just wait and find out?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Gentry

Wow, do all of those extinct royal dukedoms have scandal associated with them?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Nobility

What about HRH The Duke of Bacardi? Seems appropriate, I must say.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt the dukedom of Windsor would be recreated again. Harry is likely to be created Duke of Cambridge upon marriage.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have a question Ive read that William if he marries in the Queens lifetime will be created Duke of Clarence But I Was under the impression that Avondale went with it is it a Different Dukedom altogether?
Old 05-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Harry would not be given the title, Duke of Windsor. With all the scandal surrounding that title it would be like an insult to bestow that title on Harry. I'm pretty sure any extinct royal dukedoms can be revived. Edward was given Wessex which was extinct wasn't it? I think I read he wanted it after seeing the movie Elizabeth. I guess we'll just have to see what Harry gets!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

It would be great if Harry got Duke of Cumberland. I've always loved that title for some reason. Maybe it's because of all the historical romance novels I've read and there is usally a Duke of Cumberland in them. In any case, I didn't know that two sons could be a Duke. I thought the title of Duke always went to the eldest and the spare and those there after got to be earls, viscounts, and so on.
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita
It would be great if Harry got Duke of Cumberland. I've always loved that title for some reason. Maybe it's because of all the historical romance novels I've read and there is usally a Duke of Cumberland in them. In any case, I didn't know that two sons could be a Duke. I thought the title of Duke always went to the eldest and the spare and those there after got to be earls, viscounts, and so on.
That applies to non-royals and the descendents of royal dukes

The sons of monarch tend to be created dukes in their own right - e.g the present Dukes of Gloucester and Kent are grandsons of a monarch as their fathers were brothers and both these brothers were created dukes in their own right by their father, George V, who also created his second son Duke of York but that title merged with the crown in 1936.

Going back to Victoria the sons of the monarch have been created the following dukes

Alfred - Edinburgh
Arthur - Connaught
Leopold - Albany

George V created his sons dukes as follows

Albert - York (later George VI)
Henry - Gloucester
George - Kent

John didn't live to adulthood so was not created a duke of anything.

I haven't included the eldest sons of these monarchs as they inherited the Dukedom of Cornwall on either birth (Edward VII) or accession of father (George V and Edward VIII).

Victoria created her grandsons through her eldest son Dukes in her lifetime - Eddy - Duke of Clarence and Avondale and George - Duke of York.

The present monarch has only created one son a Duke - Andrew as Duke of York but her eldest son inherited the Dukedom of Cornwall on her accession and there is an agreement in place to create Edward Duke of Edinburgh on the death of both the present Duke and the Queen when the title merges with the crown on Charles accession.

If Harry marries in the reign of the present Queen I would expect him to get a dukedom as he will be the second son of the monarch at some stage - as was the Queen's father - created Duke of York, the Queen's grandfather - also created Duke of York, but that title is currently held by the Queen's own second son so shouldn't be available for regrant in the lifetime of the present Queen.

I would also expect William to be given a Dukedom at some stage in the future, again probably on marriage.

These are the only two of the Queen's grandchildren I would expect to receive titles in her reign.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks that helped me out a lot. So I guess my question would be what the process for her deciding who gets what Dukedom. Is there a special reason for not giving or giving someone a particular dukedom. Like I can totally understand why they wouldn't give Harry or William the title Duke of Windsor so I wonder about all the other dukedoms that contain scandals.
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness

If Harry persists in his relationship with the, IMO, dreadful Miss Davy then they may need to revive "Duke of Windsor"!!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Aristocracy

LOL....so true. However I'm surprised at the amount of support Chesly has from some of the peope on the TRF so maybe she might not be so bad after all. Though I think she's not all that great either. But moving on, If QEII decided to "punish" Harry if his relationship with Chelsy turns into marriage, I suppose giving him a dukedom riddled with scandal or one that's seemingly unimportant would be the way to go. Maybe one of the dukedoms Charles II created for one of his um...children he had out of wedlock. Like maybe the Dukedom of Monmouth or Buccleuch. I'm sure he and those who are in the inner circle would get the point.

But I still like the Duke of Cumberland the best. It just seems so grand.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Maybe one of the dukedoms Charles II created for one of his um...children he had out of wedlock. Like maybe the Dukedom of Monmouth or Buccleuch.
Isn't Buccleuch still held by the Montegu-Douglas-Scott's who are maternal relatives of the Duke of Gloucester?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, the Duke of Buccleuch is very much alive and has a son to follow him, so that one isn't available.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
LOL....so true. However I'm surprised at the amount of support Chesly has from some of the peope on the TRF so maybe she might not be so bad after all. Though I think she's not all that great either. But moving on, If QEII decided to "punish" Harry if his relationship with Chelsy turns into marriage, I suppose giving him a dukedom riddled with scandal or one that's seemingly unimportant would be the way to go. Maybe one of the dukedoms Charles II created for one of his um...children he had out of wedlock. Like maybe the Dukedom of Monmouth or Buccleuch. I'm sure he and those who are in the inner circle would get the point.

But I still like the Duke of Cumberland the best. It just seems so grand.
I think that the Dukedom of Cumberland has even more scandal associated with it and certainly wouldn't be accepted in Scotland after Butcher Cumberland actions and orders at and after the Battle of Culloden and the actions of George III's son who also held the title Duke of Cumberland and the reputed involvement in a murder scandal. England had a lucky escape in getting Victoria as Queen rather than Cumberland as king in 1837 - women mightn't have had the right to vote etc but they could become Queen and I personally think we were better off with Victoria than the Cumberlands.

The Dukedom of Cumberland is currently suspended due to the fact that the holder in 1914 decided to fight for Germany. The 3rd Duke, who held the title at the time, was struck off the Roll of the Order of the Garter, lost his British citizenship and then the titles. The title was suspended in 1919 but there is a possible claimant alive today making it extremely unlikely that the Queen would regrant a title to which their is a living heir of a suspended title.

Here is a link to information about past holders. It clearly indicates that Prince Ernest could petition to have the title reinstated.

http://hereditarytitles.com/Page34.html

From this site it is clear that the current family of Hannover can still claim the Duke of Cumberland title so that it is not available for regrant to Harry.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
What about HRH The Duke of Bacardi? Seems appropriate, I must say.
:p Bacardi is a Spanish-Catalonian family that owns the famous Bacardi rum. Maybe Harry could be, instead, named Duke of Spirits.
Just for cross reference, the Bacardi family financial Empire

Kidding aside, can he be made Prince of something? like the Prince of Kent. What about any Irish (Northern Ireland) titles for him, are they being used by the Windsors?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure that the Queen and especially Parliament is going to want to potentially upset the Northern Irish situation by handing out Irish peerages to either of the Wales boys. Prince Andrew got a subisdiary Irish title but Prince Edward didn't. Prince Harry may end up with a series of titles like Prince Philip: one English, one Welsh, and one Scottish.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles