Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it certain he will get a dukedom anyway? His uncle Edward, who was even the son of a reigning monarch (which Harry is not...yet) did only recieve an earldom.

Edward will become The Duke of Edinburgh after the death of Prince Philip and the ascension of Charles to the throne, so it's highly likely Harry will receive a dukedom upon marriage regardless.

It's not impossible that Harry will receive an earldom instead, but this would be unusual, especially if he marries while still being third or second in line for succession to the throne. Once William marries and has children, then Harry's place becomes less important, but this could be years away.

I think Harry will be granted a dukedom.

Elspeth said:
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't; it'd be seen as some sort of claim of ownership by Britain that would throw fuel on nationalist flames.

That bad? Over here, the other side of the Atlantic Pond, we hardly heard anything new on the issues between North Ireland and Ireland.

branchg said:
Edward will become The Duke of Edinburgh after the death of Prince Philip and the ascension of Charles to the throne, so it's highly likely Harry will receive a dukedom upon marriage regardless.
It's not impossible that Harry will receive an earldom instead, but this would be unusual, especially if he marries while still being third or second in line for succession to the throne. Once William marries and has children, then Harry's place becomes less important, but this could be years away.
I think Harry will be granted a dukedom.

Edward will be given that title?
Why not simply upgrade the Earlship he has into a Dukedom?
Is there one reserved specifically for the husband of a Queen?

Last edited:
Edward & Edinburgh

Toledo said:
Edward will be given that title?
Why not simply upgrade the Earlship he has into a Dukedom?
Toledo, the issue of Edward eventually becoming Duke of Edinburgh was announced at the time of his wedding in 1999. It works like this: the Duke of Edinburgh dies and the dukedom reverts to the Crown. When Charles becomes King he will re-create the dukedom for Edward. Branchg can provide the detail, but this is the gist. :)

Warren said:
Toledo, the issue of Edward eventually becoming Duke of Edinburgh was announced at the time of his wedding in 1999. It works like this: the Duke of Edinburgh dies and the dukedom reverts to the Crown. When Charles becomes King he will re-create the dukedom for Edward. Branchg can provide the detail, but this is the gist. :)

Does this mean that potentially there could be no Duke of Edinburgh for a period of several years. Let's say, for example that the Duke of Edinburgh dies and the Queen dies 5 years later. Does it mean that for that 5 year period the title of Duke of Edinburgh would lie vacant?(This is all fictional, Im not suggesting in any way, shape or form that I'd like the above to apply). Furthermore, is Charles obliged to re-create the Dukedom, what if he simply decided he didn't want to?

Little_star said:
Does this mean that potentially there could be no Duke of Edinburgh for a period of several years. Let's say, for example that the Duke of Edinburgh dies and the Queen dies 5 years later. Does it mean that for that 5 year period the title of Duke of Edinburgh would lie vacant?(This is all fictional, Im not suggesting in any way, shape or form that I'd like the above to apply). Furthermore, is Charles obliged to re-create the Dukedom, what if he simply decided he didn't want to?

When Prince Philip dies, Charles, as his eldest son, automatically inherits the Dukedom of Edinburgh. If The Queen is still alive, Charles would simply add his father's titles to his existing ones as the heir to the throne. If both The Queen and Prince Philip have passed on, his father's titles would merge with the Crown (the Sovereign cannot be a peer) and be available again.

The plan is for Charles to re-create the dukedom of Edinburgh for Prince Edward once he is King. As the Sovereign, he would be under no obligation to do so since he is the fount of honour.

branchg said:
When Prince Philip dies, Charles, as his eldest son, automatically inherits the Dukedom of Edinburgh. If The Queen is still alive, Charles would simply add his father's titles to his existing ones as the heir to the throne. If both The Queen and Prince Philip have passed on, his father's titles would merge with the Crown (the Sovereign cannot be a peer) and be available again.

The plan is for Charles to re-create the dukedom of Edinburgh for Prince Edward once he is King. As the Sovereign, he would be under no obligation to do so since he is the fount of honour.

Ah, I see. Thanks very much for that information. It's fascinating and I'm slightly ashamed with myself for not knowing more about how the system works.

As Charles has plenty of titles already, I'm sure he won't mind letting his baby brother be Duke of Edinburgh if and when that situation arises.

Little_star said:
Ah, I see. Thanks very much for that information. It's fascinating and I'm slightly ashamed with myself for not knowing more about how the system works.

As Charles has plenty of titles already, I'm sure he won't mind letting his baby brother be Duke of Edinburgh if and when that situation arises.

Asking a question about a situation we are not familiar with is nothing to be ashamed of. I did not know it either. Thanks Warren and Branchg for your answers.
But I still think the Edinburgh title should be reserved for someone really special like William's kids, his brother Harry or, why not?, Camilla herself in case she can't get the title of Queen. In that way the title gets associated with the consort of the monarch. Edward has already the title of Duke of York, why then double-Duke him? And we go back to the basics on this musical chairs titlefest, if he ceases to be Duke of York what do we do with Ex-wife Sarah's consort title? :confused:
So, let Edward have York and keep Scotland's capital for another royal generation in the works. :cool:

Andrew is the Duke of York, which recently has been the traditional title given to the sovereign's second son. Edward wasn't given a dukedom - he's Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn - and it was said at the time that part of the reason for this is that the plan was for him to be created Duke of Edinburgh in due course after the death of both parents. Among other considerations, this was supposed to be in recognition of the fact that Edward is the one who's taking over the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme duties from Prince Philip.

Elspeth, I just realized I got my Windsors mixed up! :eek:
Andrew is the one with Sarah Fergusson and Edward is the younger one married to Sophie. Time for me to get some sleep.
But I still think Edinburgh's title should be reserved for a really special person like a consort and not for the 4th royal kid and his wife.

Toledo said:
But I still think the Edinburgh title should be reserved for someone really special like William's kids, his brother Harry or, why not?, Camilla herself in case she can't get the title of Queen. In that way the title gets associated with the consort of the monarch. Edward has already the title of Duke of York, why then double-Duke him? And we go back to the basics on this musical chairs titlefest, if he ceases to be Duke of York what do we do with Ex-wife Sarah's consort title? :confused:
So, let Edward have York and keep Scotland's capital for another royal generation in the works. :cool:

Camilla cannot be anything but Queen Consort when Charles becomes King unless Parliament agrees to pass an Act allowing her to hold a lesser title and rank. The wife of the King is Queen and the marriage cannot be morganatic.

Sarah is the former wife of the current Duke of York and retains the right to be styled "Sarah, Duchess of York", until she remarries or chooses to drop the style. Even if Andrew passed on, she would still be styled in this way, regardless if a new creation of the dukedom was granted to another royal prince.

Last edited:
That makes more sense, although I doubt the York title will be recycled to another couple before Sarah passes on. Chrisy57 posted on # 63 an interesting link http://hereditarytitles.com/Page34.html on the many vacant titles availabe for future use so the York title might not see the light of day again in many, many decades.
ps. Thanks for the link Chrisy57!

Last edited:
I think it's more likely that (assuming Andrew doesn't remarry and have a son) the York title will be reserved for William's second son and won't be given to Harry whether Sarah is still around or not. Harry will probably be given a title when he marries, which may well be within the next five years; if Andrew is still alive the York title won't be free, but if he isn't, I think maybe they'll wait with it.

Last edited:
Assuming William and Harry are not given another title by the time they get married such as a royal dukedom, and say QEII is still on the throne and Charles is still waiting..then their wives take on the title such as Princess William of Wales.

The only time a woman who marries into the family is known as HRH Such and such of something is when her husband has another title to use. Such was the case with Andrew becoming Duke of York. Sarah was officially known as HRH the Duchess of York and NOT Princess Andrew.

Lady Marmalade said:
Assuming William and Harry are not given another title by the time they get married such as a royal dukedom, and say QEII is still on the throne and Charles is still waiting..then their wives take on the title such as Princess William of Wales.
Wow so it has to do with the husband getting a different title and sort of a plot of land to, say, 'duke' over? But..but..but..if they don't, then that means the wife just isn't a princess or whatever the title, in her own right, hence the "princess <fill in a guy's name" title?
This seems really, kindof, pre-Anne Boleyn or something if you ask me. Why can't these ladies just be called "princess Chelsy" for example with the understanding she got the title courtesy of marrying a blue-blood?
Gosh, no wonder they say the english are eccentric! ;)

Elspeth said:
If Prince Harry gets married during Charles's lifetime and isn't given a dukedom or other title, his wife will be Princess Henry of Wales.
But if he marries AND he's given a dukedon, why isn't it then, in that case, "Duchess Henry of Isle of Man" or whatever? :confused:

Elspeth said:
Diana wasn't called Princess Charles of Wales, because Prince Charles wasn't called Prince Charles of Wales.
So it is related to being affiliated with some sort of plot of land, then? Is that why for example Diana wasn't called "Princess Charles of Windsor"? Apologies for my probably think-headed questions, but my brain just can't seem to grok this one.

I think it's best explained this way;

When a woman marries into the Royal Family, and her husband hasn't got a peerage, she is Princess (His Name) of (Wherever). If he has got a Peerage, then she uses the female version of it. If she marries into the Royal Family and she's of Royal Birth, and her husband hasn't got a peerage, she can use her own name and be known as Princess (Her Name) of (Wherever). If her husband has a peerage, she uses the female version of it.

princess olga said:
But if he marries AND he's given a dukedon, why isn't it then, in that case, "Duchess Henry of Isle of Man" or whatever? :confused:

If he marries and is given a dukedom, he'd be known as HRH The Duke of Whatever and his wife would be HRH The Duchess of Whatever.

So it is related to being affiliated with some sort of plot of land, then? Is that why for example Diana wasn't called "Princess Charles of Windsor"? Apologies for my probably think-headed questions, but my brain just can't seem to grok this one.

It isn't really a plot of land these days as much as historical precedent in terms of which dukedomes are traditionally royal. A wife takes her husband's name; Prince Charles wasn't Prince Charles of Windsor, so Diana wasn't Princess Charles of Windsor. The children of the monarch are just HRH The Prince (or Princess) First Name until they're given a dukedom or other title.

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
If Prince Harry gets married during Charles's lifetime and isn't given a dukedom or other title, his wife will be Princess Henry of Wales.

Diana wasn't called Princess Charles of Wales, because Prince Charles wasn't called Prince Charles of Wales. Before becoming the Duchess of Gloucester, the present duchess was known as Princess Richard of Gloucester.

There's another one: Prince Harry is hardly ever referred to by his Christian name Prince Henry.

The old Duke of Gloucester was also Prince Henry and was called Harry in the family, but I think he was known as Prince Henry to outsiders before he got his dukedom. Goes to show how things have lightened up over the past century!

I would love to see Harry get Sussex; it would be nice to have some little Prince/sses of Sussex running about. I suppose they will be demoted to lords and ladies, but I think that's a shame.

Chris922 said:
Edward will inherit the title Duke of Edinburgh when his father, the present duke, dies. Wessex will then become one of his secondary titles.
He wil not inherit the present Dukedom. If Prince Philip dies next month the Dukedom will be inherited by Prince Charles and when he succeeds his mother it will merge with the crown and Charles can than create Edward Duke of edinburgh. So it will be a new creaton with probably Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn as junior Titles.

Okay, question. Will Beatrice inherit the Duchy of York after Andrew? Or does it pass directly through the male line only? Because technically Harry IS the second son...???

No, Beatrice won't inherit the dukedom. It'll become available again after Andrew's death.

ysbel said:
There's another one: Prince Harry is hardly ever referred to by his Christian name Prince Henry.

Whenever I refer to him, I always call him Prince Henry. For some reason "Harry" doesn't sound like a royal name. It's just a quirk of mine, I guess. :wacko:

MOLEY said:
in order to keep people intrested and in favour of monarchy King charles will need to steamline and re-organise the monarchy.
We love our monarchy quite un-streamed down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry as Duke of Connaught ! hee! or maybe, Albany.
Albany would be cute. hahahah. Like the show, Kate & Leopold.

foiegrass said:
Harry as Duke of Connaught ! hee! or maybe, Albany.
Albany would be cute. hahahah. Like the show, Kate & Leopold.

Cute movie but seriously inaccurate historically. :)

Great Thread!!
I enjoyed the opinions and facts and I cant wait to see what titles are given out when the time comes!

GreenLily said:
Weren't Edward and Sophie supposed to get the Dukedom of Cambridge - and then Edward requested the Earldom of Wessex (supposedly because he saw the film Elizabeth and wanted to resurrect the title.) So couldn't Harry technically get the Dukedom of Cambridge? Although, I agree, it will probably be Clarence.

No, Edward is supposed to inherit the Dukedom of Edinburgh after his father, Prince Philip's crossing over. Sophie will become the Duchess of Edinburgh for your information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom