The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 AM
Heir Apparent

If Harry was already Duke of Sussex for example and the above scenario did somehow play out he would still inherit the dukedom of Edinburgh. He'd have two dukedoms.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
If Harry was already Duke of Sussex for example and the above scenario did somehow play out he would still inherit the dukedom of Edinburgh. He'd have two two dukedoms.
Exactly! Just like when William becomes Duke of Cornwall he will still be Duke of Cambridge as well. So he will be Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding any future Duke of Edinburgh have been moved to Royal Dukes, Royal Duchies and Royal Ducal Titles .

In addition, please note the following sticky The future of the Duke of Edinburgh title .

Old 02-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

But can H really be Duke of Sussex ? Isn't Sussex now parted in West Sussex and East Sussex ?

Don't live in UK so i don't know if it's possible anyway but maybe someone from UK here can answer.

I won't be surprised if he's made Duke of London. No Royal history but as grand as it can be without :) Wasn't Churchill offered that title but said no ?

Or maybe he'll be given an Earldom.
Maybe that would open up for the possibility of not making his wife an H.R.H if she wants to continue to have a work ?
Old 02-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of London has only ever been considered once, for Churchill, because of his career. There has never been a peerage with the title. Dukes are usually for a region not for a city. The Duke of Edinburgh being a rare exception to that. Since London is pretty much incorporated into the Dukedom of Westminster, I would be even more surprised.

While Sussex does indeed have two lieutenants now, it is as far as I know, still considered one entity. Considering Edward is Earl of Wessex which doesn't even exist any more (there is no county of Wessex). So the new division in Essex doesn't really have any impact IMO,

Harry will be made a Duke, with an earl as a secondary title. Royal princes always are. Edward was made an earl but with the understanding he would inherit the Duke of Edinburgh when his father died. Harry's wife, even if only Countess, would still be a HRH. With Charles' plan to slim down, Harry's wife will be required to be a working royal.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Cambridge, York and Westminster all dukedoms plus cities in addition to Edinburgh. There was a Duke of Sussex before. He was the sixth son of George III.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Serene Highness

I see. Then he may be created Duke of Sussex anyway or maybe Duke of West Sussex and East Sussex.
The son of George III was Duke of Sussex before Sussex was divided.

Duke of Clarence is also an option.

Or maybe they will bring up a very old title like Exeter or Albermarle.

I personally would love to see Harry as Duke of Windsor. It is a way too grand title to not have any positive association. But it won't happen as long as QEII is the one offering the titles. She would probably vomit if someone dares to suggest it :-D

The best thing for Harry would be if he found someone from royal or aristocratic circles who are used to represent and do all the common "Royal duties" instead of having a successful career.

It is just not right that he can't marry someone he is in love with just because she then must give up all her dreams and plans. By the end there won't be any woman who wants to marry a royal prince (who are not expected to be king) because of that.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Technically any title can be created. Duke of Hogwarts or Earl of the Universe can be used. If there is some name Harry is particularly struck with its possible to create a peerage using it.

Realistically though it will almost in all likelihood be Sussex because of its history as a dukedom
Old 02-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Cambridge, York and Westminster all dukedoms plus cities in addition to Edinburgh. There was a Duke of Sussex before. He was the sixth son of George III.

The Dukes of York and Cambridge are named not for the cities but the shires (counties), Yorkshire and Cambridgeshire. I said Edinburgh was the 'rare exception' not the only one, and yes Westminster is named for a city.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Technically any title can be created. Duke of Hogwarts or Earl of the Universe can be used. If there is some name Harry is particularly struck with its possible to create a peerage using it.

Realistically though it will almost in all likelihood be Sussex because of its history as a dukedom
I understand that. I just speculated about possible title with royal connections. Ofcourse he can be granted a Dukedom that has never had a Royal Duke before. There are lots of realistic options.

Time will tell i guess but i don't see Sussex as the only possibility. There has only been one Duke of Sussex. Augustus Frederick was married twice and the only child of George III who never served in the military......

They need to start new traditions sooner or later becuase many titles with lots of Royal history aren't going to be available for a heck of a long time like Cambridge, Gloucester and Kent while Albany is unavailable, Connaught is in Ireland and Edinburgh is reserved for Edward.

Had i been Harry i would have been more happy with a very old title that hasn't been used for many centuries.

There are very old Grand dukedoms with Royal connections available that haven't been used for a very long time like Exeter, Hereford, Kendal in England or Ross in Scotland.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Cambridge will be available again when William becomes King. York will be available when Andrew passes without a son. Unless William has 3 or 4 more sons. It should not be a problem.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Yes but i belive Harry will marry before William is King.

Next "Cambridge" will likely be George, Charlotte (in her own right) or a possible younger sibling
Old 02-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course Harry isn't going to get the Cambridge title for his wedding present, but it's not tied up with male heirs like Gloucester and Kent. George would only get the Cambridge title if something happened to his father before he became King. When William is King, George is the Duke of Cornwall.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

You're right. I forgot that George will be Duke of Cornwall (and Rothesay) as soon as William is King. And unless Charles becomes VERY old, that will likely happen.

Yes Gloucester and Kent will sadly not return to the Crown under the current rules for a very long time. Albany is likely also "lost".
Old 02-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
You're right. I forgot that George will be Duke of Cornwall (and Rothesay) as soon as William is King. And unless Charles becomes VERY old, that will likely happen.

Yes Gloucester and Kent will sadly not return to the Crown under the current rules for a very long time. Albany is likely also "lost".
The more I think about titles passing out of the royal lineage, the more I've come to realize that this is perhaps a good reason why, after careful deliberation, it was decided that sometime in the future Edward would be created The Duke of Edinburgh. As it stands now, when Edward is created the DoE, it will be a royal dukedom purely because Edward himself is a royal prince. As the title passes down through his son and grandsons (or granddaughters if they change the peerage rulings), it will be something that is solely from Prince Philip and is a legacy of his in its own right. I kind of like how they've worked that out.

Harry most definitely will be named a Duke upon his marriage and there are several good, viable options that have been suggested. With Harry though, it will be his chance to pass down his dukedom as his own legacy through generations to come as it will not revert to the crown at any time.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The Dukes of York and Cambridge are named not for the cities but the shires (counties), Yorkshire and Cambridgeshire. I said Edinburgh was the 'rare exception' not the only one, and yes Westminster is named for a city.
I disagree. they are named for the cities. The Cities were separate from the surrounding areas - counties were not defined as they are now.

The other city dukedoms - still existing - Lancaster (HMQ), St Albans; Manchester

And others not related to specific cities or counties - Marlborough (v small town); Beuafort (family of John of Gaunt); Wellington; Abercorn; Grafton and Richmond, Lennox andGordon.

I still hold out for an ancient kingdom - Duke of Mercia. A great regiment and a noble history.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I am hoping for another Duke of Clarence.

LaRae
Old 02-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I disagree. they are named for the cities. The Cities were separate from the surrounding areas - counties were not defined as they are now.

The other city dukedoms - still existing - Lancaster (HMQ), St Albans; Manchester

And others not related to specific cities or counties - Marlborough (v small town); Beuafort (family of John of Gaunt); Wellington; Abercorn; Grafton and Richmond, Lennox andGordon.

I still hold out for an ancient kingdom - Duke of Mercia. A great regiment and a noble history.
Um, No. The kingdom of York, and later duchy and now county of York has existed since before William the conqueror. The first Duke of York owned estates in Yorkshire, and when he was elevated to Duke, he was named Duke of York because of those estates in Yorkshire, not the city itself. The house of York is descended from him. Now the title is of course not actually attached to the land in any real way, nor the city.

The same with the Duke of Lancaster. The Duchy of Lancaster doesn't refer to the city of Lancaster, but the holdings of the duke which in no way are limited to the city of Lancaster (this is where the queen gets most of her income). The duchy owns numerous estates, spread throughout Lancashire, not simply Lancaster castle.

Cambridge was created on the same principal, referring to the area and not simply a city. These cities are the heart of the country, why they are named after them. They serve now as the political seat,they once served as a family seat in the days when titles had power.

So Albans, Edinburgh Manchester. Again I didn't say there weren't, said they were rare.

Some of the others came as the Dukes were elevated from lower titles. The Earl of Lennox, for instance. They just upgraded his title to Duke, which is why it doesn't fit the rule. Others were a connection again to their private estate or in the case of Gordon and Beaufort, their family name.

I guess Harry could be the Duke of Windsor or Duke of Mountbatten. Duke of Kennsington for the palace he grew up in???

No he is more likely to be given either a current county or one of the older ones (Wessex no longer exists so an old one is possible).
Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it is indeed rather sad that fine old dukedoms like Gloucester and to a lesser extent Kent, associated with the Royal family in centuries past are going to pass out of the family. That's why they will have to be quite careful about Harry's future dukedom. I still think it's going to be Sussex (not split into West or East) for Harry and it may be just as well that this title only dates back to the 18th century and no further, otherwise another great old title may go the way of the others.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Heir Apparent

The Gloucester title could go back to the crown in time since the present Duke only has one son who also has one son. So if the grandson only has girls it will go back to the crown. The Duke of Kent has 2 sons and 4 grandson plus Prince Michael and Freddie Windsor. So it will probably continue down the line for awhile.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles