Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should think she will. Edward and Sophie were given a lesser title than usual wehen they married and it was announced then I think that their children would not use the titles of Prince etc.. but just Viscount and Lady. I don't believe it was intended that Ed and S would be doing much royal wrok, that only came later and clearly they preferred it if their children did not have the titles of Prince and Princess as they were so far down the Line and they would problaby never be needed for Royal duties. But Harry, in due course will be the second son of the King and brother to the next king. His children will be higher up in the line and he and his wife WILL be doing royal duties. So I would be fairly sure that the queen will want his children to be prince and princess and that Harry will want it too. I don't know about Meghan.. but I would imagine that she will agree.

Edward was 7th in line when he got married. Harry will be sixth in line when the Cambridges baby is born. Harry will go up 2 spots when the Queen and Charles die but then lose many spots as William's children start having their own kids.There is no big difference in there positions. The only reason Edward got a lesser title is they are giving him the Duke of Edinburgh title so that's not a title he can have until his parents pass.

Harry's children will be just as irrelevant to the monarchy are Beatrice and Eugenie are today. They are going to be the extra royals at the garden parties. George, Charlotte and Baby Cambridge plus any future siblings will be in the spotlight with Harry in the ignored by the press role that Edward has now.

If the York girls were Lady Beatrice and Lady Eugenie Mountbatten Windsor would and one care about how many vacation they take or what they do. Harry would have seen how much the media left alone Peter, Zara, James and Louise compared to himself,his brother and his York cousins.

Last edited:
I don't think that any of us can know what the Queen will or will not do when it comes to this issue or even guess what Harry and Meghan's thoughts on the issue are.

I'm just going to sit back and watch and see what happens if and when Harry and Meghan announce an engagement and watch the subsequent wedding. Logic tells me that all will become known the morning of the wedding as it did with William and Kate and their titles.

I disagree with the opinion that Harry and his kids will be insignificant as time goes on.

Think about it
When Queen Elizabeth passes away and King Charles reign there will be only two children of the monarch:
William-heir
Harry-spare
That's it. Therefore during the reign of King Charles the Cambridge kids are still going to be young (teenagers perhaps) to assume the duty as full time royals.
So Prince Harry and (Meghan) are going to have a much higher profile.

Secondly if William does become King in the next 20-25 years ( sorry I don't foresee a long reign for Charles), it is true that the Cambridge kids will dominate the media and tabloids. HOWEVER! I don't see William and Kate pushing them to assume the role of full time royals any sooner than they have to so again the only people close to the monarch who can do that is Harry and his Duchess!

How do any of us know what Harry is going to do in regard to his children? From the posts above you all sound as if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt what he will do. Come on!!

Personally I hope Harry wants them born with HRH if not just for the principal of things and the outrageous racism towards Meghan.

It is not a matter of what Harry wants. The current rule is that the children of the eldest living son of the Prince of Wales are the only great-grandchildren of the monarch who are born as HRHs. When Charles is king, Harry's children will be HRHs as grandchildren in male line of a sovereign of the United Kingdom. If, however, Charles never becomes king and the Crown passes directly to William, Harry's children will never be HRHs unless King William V changes the rules and gives them the dignity and style of princes of the United Kingdom.

Harry knows how all this works and the fate that awaits him. He said as much in an interview

"I feel there is just a smallish window when people are interested in me before [William’s children Prince George and Princess Charlotte] take over, and I’ve got to make the most of it,”

As Skippyboo said, Harry's children will be irrelevant to the monarchy other than for garden parties. Why burden them with royal titles just for the sake of it.

Last edited:
We don't know that at all. People may not be "interested" in Harry once he's a married man, but his children and his wife will certainly be noticed by the Press and public and be "goo gooed" over and he will be a working royal, supporting his father and brother. His children MAY be needed in the next generation, or they may not but royal titles are hardly a "burden"...

I don't think that any of us can know what the Queen will or will not do when it comes to this issue or even guess what Harry and Meghan's thoughts on the issue are.

I'm just going to sit back and watch and see what happens if and when Harry and Meghan announce an engagement and watch the subsequent wedding. Logic tells me that all will become known the morning of the wedding as it did with William and Kate and their titles.

I think it is Very likely that Harry will get a title if and when he marries. Its not 100% certain that his children will be given the titles of Prince and HRH but I would say it is more likely than not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is Very likely that Harry will get a title if and when he marries. Its not 100% certain that his children will be given the titles of Prince and HRH but I would say it is more likely than not.

As I said, if Harry's children are born in the current Queen's reign, I see no reason for HM to issue special LPs to give them a title, not least because they will already be HRHs when Charles in king. The real issue is the (unlikely) scenario where Charles never becomes king and then William has to make a decision on making Harry's children princes or not.

As I've said before, if this doesn't happen, the press will be sure to make it into a slam against Meghan, regardless of any explanations the RF offers.

If Meghan really is this modern, 'women of the world' type we keep reading about, she may not want all the bells and whistles for her children, for her yes, she'll be a duchess but the kids can just be kids.

Its about the customs, culture and tradition of the family she will be marrying into. Nothing to do with being 'a woman of the world'. She loves Harry and if he does ask her to be his wife and she accepts, she will be under no illusion as to what that would entail. She will understand she isn't just marrying the man she loves, but everything else that goes with it, too. She will have made a choice to embrace the history and future of the path she has decided to follow in supporting her husband support the monarch and the institution.

Nothing to be ashamed of and no amount of patronising by others will change that.

Last edited:
As I've said before, if this doesn't happen, the press will be sure to make it into a slam against Meghan, regardless of any explanations the RF offers.

I think we'll see the opposite. If Harry and Meghan's kids aren't royal, the media will praise H&M much the same way they do Anne for not giving her kids titles and the Wessexes for having similar foresight.

The media won't care about the logical explanation, that H&M's kids were never entitled to a HRH under HM's reign, just like they don't care that Peter and Zara were never going to be HRHs under the existing LPs. It will just be praise about how 'refreshing' and 'down to earth' they are. And certainly they would use it as an excuse to bash the Yorks for being self-important and unlike the rest.

I disagree with the opinion that Harry and his kids will be insignificant as time goes on.

Think about it
When Queen Elizabeth passes away and King Charles reign there will be only two children of the monarch:
William-heir
Harry-spare
That's it. Therefore during the reign of King Charles the Cambridge kids are still going to be young (teenagers perhaps) to assume the duty as full time royals.
So Prince Harry and (Meghan) are going to have a much higher profile.

Secondly if William does become King in the next 20-25 years ( sorry I don't foresee a long reign for Charles), it is true that the Cambridge kids will dominate the media and tabloids. HOWEVER! I don't see William and Kate pushing them to assume the role of full time royals any sooner than they have to so again the only people close to the monarch who can do that is Harry and his Duchess!

Completely agree.?

What has the media to do with all this? Is this our new past time? Speculating on what the media will or will not do? Gads, I can't wait for the silly season to be over with.

In all actuality, what will happen with Harry and his family's titles is that the right thing will be done for the monarchy. Its probably already been decided on and ready to implement for when Harry does wake up on his wedding day.

As far as the media, there is one one thing I can be absolutely sure about. They won't be silent. They never are. :whistling:

Think about it
William-heir
Harry-spare
That's it.
But Harry is no longer "the spare" to Charles/William. That's now George. Harry may eventually be the younger son of The King, and later still the brother of The King, but he will never again be "the spare" unless there is unspeakable tragedy.

Several off-topic posts have been deleted. This thread is for discussing titles and styles of Harry, his future wife and children.

Common sense tells us that titles and styles conveyed upon members of the royal family do not relate to the popularity of the individual (either by the public or the press) so lets not compare the popularity of Prince Harry against other members of the Royal Family.

Last edited:
What do you mean 'the family are HRH's no matter what'?

George V's LPs, which are the current ones in force, are very clear. Harry's children won't be HRH's until Charles is King.

Under the 1917 LPs the HRHs are limited.

The Queen can issue new LPs - as she did in 2012 to ensure that all of William's children would be born HRH as otherwise only George would have been born with HRH while Charlotte and the new baby would be Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor until Charles becomes King.

Why go back into family trees when each monarch has the right themselves to decide who will or won't have the style of HRH.

When Edward VIII was born, for instance, he was born HH not HRH. It wasn't until 1898 that Queen Victoria issued LPs to raise all of George V's children to HRH status.

He then amended those LPs and HM has amended those of her grandfather for William's children.

The Queen can also let her will be known and thus strip people of HRH - as she has done with Louise and James (according to the letter I have from BP answering that very question).

Under the existing LPs if Charles never becomes King, and no special LPs are issued, then Harry's children are never HRHs as they are never male-line grandchildren of the monarch, only great-grandchildren.

I think we'll see the opposite. If Harry and Meghan's kids aren't royal, the media will praise H&M much the same way they do Anne for not giving her kids titles and the Wessexes for having similar foresight.

The media won't care about the logical explanation, that H&M's kids were never entitled to a HRH under HM's reign, just like they don't care that Peter and Zara were never going to be HRHs under the existing LPs. It will just be praise about how 'refreshing' and 'down to earth' they are. And certainly they would use it as an excuse to bash the Yorks for being self-important and unlike the rest.

It is not up to Princess Anne to give or not give her children titles. Grandchildren of a sovereign in maternal line never had titles unless they got it from their fathers. Anne in that sense is not different from Princess Margaret, or Princess Mary (George VI's sister), or any of Queen Victoria's daughters.

The Wessexes case is in turn more controversial. I suppose most people are neutral about James and Louise not having royal titles, but there are others, albeit probably a minority, who actually think that, by not being acknowledged as HRHs. James and Louise have been unfairly robbed of their birthright under the 1917 LPs.

Last edited:
Anne could have had a title of nobility for her husband but she and he chose not to have one.

Iluvbertie

Now I understand what you mean; i.e. each Monarch deals with things differently.

I had assumed (wrongly), that the rules were in place many centuries ago, but apparently not so. Your explanation was very well explained; and now I finally get it!! Why some are HRH, and some are not HRH.

Looking back at past Royal Families its interesting that some illegitimate sons were still given Royal titles by the Monarch.

Thanks for your excellent explanation.

Could Harry possibly be made the Duke of St James?

I am hoping he gets the Duke of Suffolk. On a side note, I would love if Harry were to settle in St James Palace instead of Kensington. I feel he should be seperate from William. Is there a reason the royals could not live in Kew or Hampton Palace?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could but highly unlikely as the official seat of the British monarchy is the Court of St James. St James is thus more associated with the monarch him/herself rather than an increasingly minor member of the family and there is no way they would want that the St James title would be associated with a non-royal which in two generations it would be if given to Harry.

To be absolutely honest here, I think the title that Harry wants and craves on the personal level the most is one word and that word is "Daddy". :D

^Agree ! I'm sure as soon as they are married one of the first to do lists will be to have a baby of their own !

I am hoping he gets the Duke of Suffolk. On a side note, I would love if Harry were to settle in St James Palace instead of Kensington. I feel he should be seperate from William. Is there a reason the royals could not live in Kew or Hampton Palace?

They are owned and managed by Historic Royal Palaces (charity) who also run the Royal apartments at KP - all of which are open to the public all of the time.

No private accommodation available.

The benefit of KP is that as long as he is carrying out royal engagements, Harry lives there rent free - and it is also v secure.

Is there a reason the royals could not live in Kew or Hampton Palace?

Both of these Palaces [altho' Kew is really more of a House] ceased being Royal residences in the early in Queen Victoria's reign, are now open to the Public, and slap bang in the middle of Public parks. So it is neither practical nor convenient to return them to residences for members of the Royal Family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom