The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William's Suitability to be King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
What if, P.H has married and he and his wife have been conferred a Dukedom prior to P.C becoming King?

It just like William is now, HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and his wife is HRH Duchess of Cambridge except the title for Harry doesn't change so he stays as Duke of wherever . The only change is when he is a son of the King it's HRH The Prince Henry, Duke of Wherever

Centre point, Royal Marsden Hospital , Child Bereavement UK were all Diana's patronages that William now has.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 09-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

What titles are open (I assume Harry would be titled a Duke) for Harry?

At present George is just a Prince ...I assume no other titles correct?

LaRae

Old 09-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Sussex seems like a favourite but the Sovereign can create any dukedom not already in use.

Harry could be create the Duke of Hogwarts if that was desired. George is just plain old Prince George of Cambridge
Old 09-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I would like Harry to get Duke of Windsor. It's time to put a positive spin on the name associated with the Windsor family. At least an Internet search wouldn't automatically pull up a nazi sympathizer.
Well, I imagine Harry wouldn't want his name and that of the nazi sympathizer to be associated. That Duke of Windsor title was especially created for Edward. It's not as though there was a long line of distinguished and noble dukes named Windsor whose honor needs to be redeemed. The abdication was a tragic and bitter happening for the BRF, and it's unlikely that any of them wish for a revival of that title.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
When Charles is King, Harry becomes just HRH Prince Harry. He loses the territorial designation. He isn't the son of the PoW anymore but the King so no more of location

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Not quite, he will become HRH The Prince Harry.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think they may keep the Windsor title for any monarch who abdicates e.g. IF (and I don't think it would ever happen) The Queen abdicated she would become The Duchess of Windsor.

Titles that are available for Harry are quite varied although those used by royals in the past and now available is quite small with some currently not in use not available e.g. Cumberland and Albany - both were stripped from their holders with the Titles Deprivation Act during WWI but the later heirs are entitled to petition for the titles to be restored. That hasn't happened but both titles have a number of male heirs so they aren't able to be used. Connaught would also be unavailable due to the fact that Connaught itself is in the Republic of Ireland and so politically now an impossible title
Old 09-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd like to see something out of the blue. Wessex has no history as a peerage title until the earldom was created for Prince Edward.

Technically Harry can be created Duke of 'Anywhere'.

Given Harry's independent nature we may see an old England, Game-of-Thrones style dukedom.

Its highly unlikely but not completely out of the picture.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Clarence...although that might have a bad ring to it due to the history there.

LaRae

The titles of Henry VIII's recognized illegitimate son...are any of those still around...or absorbed into the monarchy? I think one was the Duke of Richmond?

LaRae
Old 09-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think they may keep the Windsor title for any monarch who abdicates e.g. IF (and I don't think it would ever happen) The Queen abdicated she would become The Duchess of Windsor.
If for some reason The Queen abdicated, she would revert to her previous title HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh. The former Edward VIII was created Duke of Windsor primarily to keep him from running for Parliament.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

We don't know that she would revert at all. The issue of her running for parliament is a good reason to create her as a peer of the realm in her own right as the wife of a peer is able to run.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I'd like to see something out of the blue. Wessex has no history as a peerage title until the earldom was created for Prince Edward.

Technically Harry can be created Duke of 'Anywhere'.

Given Harry's independent nature we may see an old England, Game-of-Thrones style dukedom.

Its highly unlikely but not completely out of the picture.

The title Earl of Wessex actually existed prior to the Norman Conquest; the first Earl of Wessex was Godwin of Wessex, his heir was his son Harold Godwinson, better known as Harold II.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:49 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen would never abdicate but if she ever did, IMO she would remain styled Queen Elizabeth, just as Richard II, who was forced to abdicate, was still addressed as King. Edward VIII was never crowned, that's the difference. I know Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands reverted to Princess Beatrix, but it's a different system.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Duke of Clarence...although that might have a bad ring to it due to the history there.

LaRae

The titles of Henry VIII's recognized illegitimate son...are any of those still around...or absorbed into the monarchy? I think one was the Duke of Richmond?

LaRae

Henry FitzRoy was Duke of Richmond and Somerset and Earl of Nottingham.

The title Duke of Richmond is presently held by Charles Henry Gordon-Lennox, the 10th Duke in its 4th creation.

The title Duke of Somerset is presently held by John Michael Edward Seymour, the 19th Duke in its 4th creation.

The title Earl of Nottingham is presently held by Daniel James Hatfield Finch-Hatton, the 12th Earl in its 7th creation. He is also the 17th Earl of Winchilsea.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't see what would be wrong with the Dukedom of Sussex for Harry, with the exception perhaps, of the tabs having a giggle.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I can't see what would be wrong with the Dukedom of Sussex for Harry, with the exception perhaps, of the tabs having a giggle.
Haha, yeah there will be alot of jokes... Look at that last part of the name in combination with Harry's playboy prince image :P
Old 09-22-2015, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The title Earl of Wessex actually existed prior to the Norman Conquest; the first Earl of Wessex was Godwin of Wessex, his heir was his son Harold Godwinson, better known as Harold II.
I'm aware of this. I said it has no history as a peerage title.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:55 AM
Serene Highness

Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

Theoretically couldn't he get just about any British territorial designation there is? The Queen made her brother-in-law an earl of a Welsh mountain so she could make Harry the Duke of Elephant and Castle, Earl of Soho, Baron Serpentine of Hyde Park if she wanted too couldn't she

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^ Correct. Which is why I'd like something a little different or unique, just to spice things up a bit lol.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
^^^ Correct. Which is why I'd like something a little different or unique, just to spice things up a bit lol.

Spice things up? How about Duke Worcestershire?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Serene Highness

As an 'Archers' fan [anybody?] I favour Duke of Borsetshire, Earl of Felpersham and Viscount Ambridge...

Camilla would back the idea up, wholeheartedly...

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles