The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1101  
Old 07-12-2014, 03:38 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 1,564
What happens in this unlike scenario, Harry doesn't accept a peerage. He has a child. If the Queen is still alive, the child is Lord or Lady Name Mountbatten Windsor. However, when Charles is King, the child is upgraded to HRH Prince/Princess Name of Title Location normally like George. He is HRH Prince George of Cambridge. Would his cousin just be HRH Prince(ss) Name?

This is totally hypothetical, because more than likely Harry will have a peerage like almost all adult sons of a monarch in history.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1102  
Old 07-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,412
Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

If Prince Harry marries while his grandmother is still Queen but doesn't take on a peerage he and his wife will be TRH Prince and Princess Henry of Wales. Their children will be Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor and Lady Y Mountbatten-Windsor.

In this scenario, when Charles becomes King, Harry and his wife will become TRH The Prince and Princess Henry while their children will become HRH Prince X and HRH Princess Y.

If Prince Harry marries and is granted a peerage - say Duke of Clarence, Earl of Avondale, Baron of Athlone, then he and his wife will be TRH Duke and Duchess of Clarence during the Queen's reign, with their eldest son being Earl of Avondale, younger sons being Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor and daughters being Lady Y Mountbatten-Windsor.

In this scenario, when Charles becomes King Harry and and wife will become TRH The Duke and Duchess of Clarence, with all their children being either HRH Prince X of Clarence or HRH Princess Y of Clarence.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1103  
Old 07-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Surely that says more about you rather than titles for the royal family. No offence intended
Perhaps, but I'd be willing to wager that I'm not alone!


(I think Edward has always been a frustrated show business aficionado, and it shows).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1104  
Old 07-12-2014, 04:12 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Perhaps, but I'd be willing to wager that I'm not alone!


(I think Edward has always been a frustrated show business aficionado, and it shows).
To put "Wessex" into context. Only one monarch in our history has been called "Great" - that's King Alfred. he was King of Wessex from 871 to 899. He saw off the Vikings, introduced a single language for the country and is the first King designated "King of the Anglo-Saxons"

Alfred the Great. He is v special.

Sorry for going off topic
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1105  
Old 07-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Fürstin Taxis's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Emmeram, Germany
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I liked the idea that Edward had of using an old "Kingdom" name; I also like the idea of something new. Here are a few more old "Kingdoms"

Mercia (Duke of Mercia sounds good)
Deira
Anglia
Lindsey
Strathclyde

Never happen tho'
Love them! Maybe we should tweet them to Clarence House
Harry could get a title without marrying, is that right? I could see then Charles giving him one when he is King.
__________________
Without obsession, life is nothing.
John Waters

Reply With Quote
  #1106  
Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I liked the idea that Edward had of using an old "Kingdom" name; I also like the idea of something new. Here are a few more old "Kingdoms"



Mercia (Duke of Mercia sounds good)

Deira

Anglia

Lindsey

Strathclyde



Never happen tho'

Never say never.

Sussex, Kent, and Northumbria are all also old kingdoms that were subsequently peerages.

I do think it's unlikely that Harry will be given a peerage that doesn't have history as a peerage. Earl of Wessex is a title that existed before Edward (despite its Hollywood background). While the Kingdom of Wessex was the immediate precursor to the Kingdom of England, the title was first conferred on Godwin during the reign of Edward the Confessor. Godwin had a number of sons (one being Earl of Mercia, another Earl of Northumbria, a third Earl of East Anglia, and a fourth Earl of Kent), but the son who inherited his Earldom was Harold Godwinson, Earl of Wessex. Harold is better remembered as Harold II, the last Anglo-Saxon King of England. In choosing that as his title, Edward chose one of the oldest Earldoms (if one lesser used) in England, with a very rich and important history. Harry could do worse than following his uncle's path.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1107  
Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
Love them! Maybe we should tweet them to Clarence House
Harry could get a title without marrying, is that right? I could see then Charles giving him one when he is King.
Yes - the present Queen has waited until her sons married to give them titles but in earlier generations that wasn't the case e.g. her own father was created Duke of York in 1920 and his younger brothers were also given their dukedoms before they married - as was George V, Queen Victoria's sons and George III's sons. It is the present Queen who has made the tradition at marriage rather than earlier in their lives.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1108  
Old 07-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,412
Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

I believe the late Duke of Kent was given his Dukedom in anticipation of his marriage, unlike his elder brothers who were all given theirs years before their marriage.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1109  
Old 07-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,816
I think you mean the Duke of Kent.

The Duke of Gloucester was created in 1928 and he married in 1935 while the Duke of Kent was created in 1934 a few weeks before his marriage.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1110  
Old 07-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think you mean the Duke of Kent.

The Duke of Gloucester was created in 1928 and he married in 1935 while the Duke of Kent was created in 1934 a few weeks before his marriage.

Yes, I did. Thank you. I've corrected my post.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1111  
Old 07-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Noble Consort Ming's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, United States
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
To answer the question, yes, Andrew and Edward were "HRH The Prince Andrew/Edward" before their marriages (becoming HRH The Duke of York/Earl of Wessex" afterwards). I have a bad habit of dropping the HRHs and Thes, hence the confusion.

Thank you for clarifying.
__________________
Avatar: King Faisal of Saudi Arabia(while a prince) as a teenager shortly before his first marriage(I know, I know, he's so young).
Reply With Quote
  #1112  
Old 12-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,746
Could Prince Henry be given the title of Duke of Avondale without using Clarence as part of the title?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1113  
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Could Prince Henry be given the title of Duke of Avondale without using Clarence as part of the title?

Probably. I would think that Prince Harry could be given any title provided it's not in use already and there aren't some restrictions as to it's use.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1114  
Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 18
I wonder if the male royals can combine a title when they get married, like for instance, Windsex, the combination of Windsor and Sussex? Or maybe even Claravon, a combination of Clarence and Avondale? How about Clarendale?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1115  
Old 01-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceHarrysWife View Post
I wonder if the male royals can combine a title when they get married, like for instance, Windsex, the combination of Windsor and Sussex? Or maybe even Claravon, a combination of Clarence and Avondale? How about Clarendale?

I don't think they can to that degree. Titles have always been based on either an actual place or the person's surname, not random words.

We do know that in some cases royal men have had a choice in picking their titles - Edward, for example, is said to have chosen his title Earl of Wessex, bringing a title that hadn't been used since the Norman Conquest back. I believe William also got to chose which title he wanted of the available ones, and Harry probably will as well. In contrast, Andrew's title was chosen for him owing to the fact that he was the second son and the title Duke of York was available (it's the traditional title of the second son of the monarch, when it's available... Which is usually). Since it's not likely to be available for use when Harry marries (or even when William's second son marries), Harry will get to pick something different when he gets a peerage.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1116  
Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 PM
kbk kbk is online now
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toruń, Poland
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
If Prince Harry marries while his grandmother is still Queen but doesn't take on a peerage he and his wife will be TRH Prince and Princess Henry of Wales. Their children will be Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor and Lady Y Mountbatten-Windsor.

In this scenario, when Charles becomes King, Harry and his wife will become TRH The Prince and Princess Henry while their children will become HRH Prince X and HRH Princess Y.

If Prince Harry marries and is granted a peerage - say Duke of Clarence, Earl of Avondale, Baron of Athlone, then he and his wife will be TRH Duke and Duchess of Clarence during the Queen's reign, with their eldest son being Earl of Avondale, younger sons being Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor and daughters being Lady Y Mountbatten-Windsor.

In this scenario, when Charles becomes King Harry and and wife will become TRH The Duke and Duchess of Clarence, with all their children being either HRH Prince X of Clarence or HRH Princess Y of Clarence.
Well done, Ish There's nothing more to say about it. Stick it to the first post, our dear moderators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I don't think they can to that degree. Titles have always been based on either an actual place or the person's surname, not random words.
Well, although it was not in any of the British peerages, there were actually people created, for example, Duke of the Victory and Duke of the Sea. Not random words, that's for sure, but still no place names or personal names.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abdication belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death engagement fashion germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit ottoman pieter van vollenhoven president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal fashion sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]