The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Nobility

He may just remain Prince Harry after marriage, by choice or otherwise. It seems pretty outdated and elitist to have Dukes, Earls and the like nowadays.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't; it seems like something out of Hollywood rather than a proper title- rather fake.
Nothing fake about Wessex or Mercia. Regiments and constabulary use both of them. IT's British history, definitely not made up.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
He may just remain Prince Harry after marriage, by choice or otherwise. It seems pretty outdated and elitist to have Dukes, Earls and the like nowadays.
A whole discussion can be made about the existence of titles, etc. But, the system existing, it's fair to assume that Harry will get one. No reason for the opposite to happen.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

He may just, but it's rather unlikely given as Britain continues to have a monarchy and an associated peerage system.

Titles are a big part of the tradition of the British monarchy and add to the pageantry behind it. Plus, if Harry were to decline a title on his marriage he'd be the only son of a monarch or future monarch to not hold a peerage. His brother, father, uncles, and grandfathers all hold peerages, as did his royal great-uncles, great-great-uncles, etc. You'd have to go back to the reign of Henry II to find an adult, married legitimate son of the monarch/heir apparent who didn't hold any further titles in England. You have to go back to John Balliol for the same in Scotland.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Plus without a peerage you get the awkward Princess Husband name scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
He may just, but it's rather unlikely given as Britain continues to have a monarchy and an associated peerage system.

Titles are a big part of the tradition of the British monarchy and add to the pageantry behind it. Plus, if Harry were to decline a title on his marriage he'd be the only son of a monarch or future monarch to not hold a peerage. His brother, father, uncles, and grandfathers all hold peerages, as did his royal great-uncles, great-great-uncles, etc. You'd have to go back to the reign of Henry II to find an adult, married legitimate son of the monarch/heir apparent who didn't hold any further titles in England. You have to go back to John Balliol for the same in Scotland.
Question: If he didn't take a title on his marriage (and assuming the Queen is still alive) the couple would be HRH Prince and Princess Henry of Wales.

When his father becomes King, I have assumed that "of Wales" would be dropped and therefore is would be HRH Prince and Princess Henry.

Is that correct?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes.

Before their marriages, Andrew and Edward were simply "Prince Andrew" and "Prince Edward."Likewise their mother prior to her marriage was "Princess Elizabeth" while her sister was "Princess Margaret," no "of" used.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

HRH The Prince Henry and HRH The Princess Henry, to be precize. Children of a Sovereign use the definite article before their style.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Yes.

Before their marriages, Andrew and Edward were simply "Prince Andrew" and "Prince Edward."Likewise their mother prior to her marriage was "Princess Elizabeth" while her sister was "Princess Margaret," no "of" used.
Weren't Andrew and Edward 'The Prince Andrew' and 'The Prince Edward' before marriage? And I believe Elizabeth and Margaret were 'The Princess Elizabeth' and 'The Princess Margaret' once their father became king.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Question: If he didn't take a title on his marriage (and assuming the Queen is still alive) the couple would be HRH Prince and Princess Henry of Wales.

When his father becomes King, I have assumed that "of Wales" would be dropped and therefore is would be HRH Prince and Princess Henry.

Is that correct?
If this was to happen, would their children simply be HRH Prince/ss X?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Harry's children won't be born as Prince/Princess unless The Queen issues new LPs.

They will become Prince/Princess when Charles becomes King, under the 1917 LPs. Of course Harry could follow his uncle Edward's example and not have his children take that styling.

If he isn't promoted to the peerage then his wife will be HRH Princess Henry of Wales during the present reign and HRH The Princess Henry after that.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Nothing fake about Wessex or Mercia. Regiments and constabulary use both of them. IT's British history, definitely not made up.

Maybe so, but every time...every single time...I hear a reference to Edward or Sophie, I think of that movie with Colin Firth and Gwyneth Paltrow!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Maybe so, but every time...every single time...I hear a reference to Edward or Sophie, I think of that movie with Colin Firth and Gwyneth Paltrow!
Surely that says more about you rather than titles for the royal family. No offence intended

Old 07-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
Weren't Andrew and Edward 'The Prince Andrew' and 'The Prince Edward' before marriage? And I believe Elizabeth and Margaret were 'The Princess Elizabeth' and 'The Princess Margaret' once their father became king.
Prince Andrew is The Prince Andrew.
Prince Edward is The Prince Edward.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Harry's children won't be born as Prince/Princess unless The Queen issues new LPs.

They will become Prince/Princess when Charles becomes King, under the 1917 LPs. Of course Harry could follow his uncle Edward's example and not have his children take that styling.

If he isn't promoted to the peerage then his wife will be HRH Princess Henry of Wales during the present reign and HRH The Princess Henry after that.

We are aware. The question stemmed from a discussion of what Harry and his wife's titles would be if he wasn't granted a peerage after Charles became king.

Quote:
Surely that says more about you rather than titles for the royal family. No offence intended

To be fair, didn't Edward ask to be Earl of Wessex because of that movie? It's only the 2nd creation (in 1,000 years) of the title.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

Prince Andrew is The Prince Andrew.
Prince Edward is The Prince Edward.
I realize that but that's not what I was asking. I'm not sure you looked at the post I was referencing with my question.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
I realize that but that's not what I was asking. I'm not sure you looked at the post I was referencing with my question.

To answer the question, yes, Andrew and Edward were "HRH The Prince Andrew/Edward" before their marriages (becoming HRH The Duke of York/Earl of Wessex" afterwards). I have a bad habit of dropping the HRHs and Thes, hence the confusion.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:04 AM
Nobility

If he doesn't get a title he would still be of Wales just like Prince Michael of Kent. It is only women who drop the of place convention when they get married since the add on a Mrs part. Bea will become HRH Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Dave Clark if they get married.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Harry will only be "of Wales" while his father is Prince of Wales. When Charles is king, Harry will not be "of" anything.

If /when Harry becomes a peer in his own right he'll cease to be "of Wales" as well.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

If I may add to Ish's post with some examples:

HRH Princess Margaret 'of York' actually complained when she wasn't 'of York' anymore - because her father had become King and she had only just learnt to write 'of York' and now didn't need it.

Going further back to George VI:

Birth to 28th May 1898:HH Prince Albert of York (yes HH until 1898 when Victoria changed to LPs to allow George V's children to be HRH)
28th May 1898 22nd January, 1901: HRH Prince Albert of York
22nd January 1901 - November 9th 1901: HRH Prince Albert of Cornwall and York
9th November 1901 - 6th May 1910: HRH Prince Albert of Wales
6th May 1910 - 4th June 1920: HRH The Prince Albert
4th June 1920 - 11th December 1936: HRH The Duke of York whose daughters were TRH Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret of York.

Even Prince Charles and Princess Anne were 'of Edinburgh' until 6th February 1952 and from then on HRH The Duke of Cornwall and in Scotland HRH The Prince Charles, The Duke of Rothesay and Anne was HRH The Princess Anne until she became HRH The Princess Royal.

Prince Michael is 'of Kent' because he is the younger son of the Duke of Kent. His brother and sister were born 'of Kent' but his brother stopped being HRH Prince Edward of Kent when his father died and he became HRH The Duke of Kent and Alexandra dropped the 'of Kent' officially when she married. The same with The Duke of Gloucester - HRH Prince Richard of Gloucester until he inherited his father's title.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles