The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder if Prince Harry has ever dated British Black women? And I also wonder how his family would react IF he fell in love with one and wanted to marry her. I picture him with a light skinned woman actually. But I doubt it would be allowed even though there is nothing that prevents from marrying a British black woman if he wanted to.

Can you all image the fall out if he were to fall in love with and marry an American born young woman? WOW!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually I doubt if marrying an American would be much of an issue at all, as long as she was able to fit into the way of life of the BRF and accept royal duties.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I wonder if Prince Harry has ever dated British Black women? And I also wonder how his family would react IF he fell in love with one and wanted to marry her. I picture him with a light skinned woman actually. But I doubt it would be allowed even though there is nothing that prevents from marrying a British black woman if he wanted to.

Can you all image the fall out if he were to fall in love with and marry an American born young woman? WOW!
Why would there be a fall out should Harry date or marry an American? Last time I checked, Britain and the United States were supposed to be allies and friends.
I doubt there would be any issue at all, provided the girl (whatever her background or ancestry) has a controversy-free past.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

Why is Lady Helen Taylor now referred to as The Lady Helen Taylor? I read it was because her brothers are not in the line of succession, since her elder brother married a Catholic and her younger became a Catholic. What then does "The" signify in her case?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Sorry, but there would be no fall out if Henry married an american, a black woman an asian woman or anyone else you can think of. Love is love and even the monarchy get that, as long as she's not Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Why is Lady Helen Taylor now referred to as The Lady Helen Taylor? I read it was because her brothers are not in the line of succession, since her elder brother married a Catholic and her younger became a Catholic. What then does "The" signify in her case?
This isn't the place to discuss the title, but it is most likely because she's still in line.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Lady Helen Taylor was always styled as The Lady - first as The Lady Helen Windsor, and now as The Lady Helen Taylor. It has nothing to do with her inclusion in the Line of Succession and just signifies she is a daughter of a Duke.

The daughters of of Dukes, Marquess and Earls are accorded the definite article to signify their position; the style is prefixed to the given and family name of the woman (The Lady Helen Windsor). If the lady marries a commoner, she retains that styling (The Lady Helen Taylor). Thus, Diana was The Lady Diana Spencer before her marriage, the daughter of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent is The Lady Gabriella Windsor, the daughters of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are The Lady Rose Gilman and The Lady Davina Lewis, and so on.

The definite article is also used for wives of Peers, although in a slightly different way: it is added to the husband's title (The Lady Smith). A widowed peeress retains the definite article with the addition of Dowager (The Dowager Lady Smith). In case of wives of the younger sons of Dukes and Marquesses (who are by courtesy known as Lords), they are known by their husband's given and family name with The Lady prefixed to it (The Lady John Smith). Those who are entitled to the styling as The Lady include female recipients of the Order of the Garter and Order of the Thistle; in their case, the title is prefixed to their given and family name (The Lady Marion Fraser).

The definite article "The" is to be used in all cases except after a divorce when the woman doesn't hold the courtesy style in her own right. For instance, The Lady John Smith would be known as Anne, Lady Smith after the divorce).

During the Middle Ages, Princesses were rarely actually called Princesses but rather were referred to as The Ladies too; for instance, the daughters of Henry VIII were known as The Lady Mary (future Mary I of England) and The Lady Elizabeth (future Elizabeth I).
Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

The royals have married germans, greeks, french, austro-hungarians, danes, a maori etc, etc.

Loyalty to the family and discretion is what is required.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Majesty

Most importantly would be the requirement that the girl in question is able to embrace the concept of monarchy, class structure, the idea of acknowledging some people as better than you are and the requirement of no private life and living in a gold-fish bowl. If women who grew up with that concept as part of their upbringing, like Diana and Sarah, struggled it would be even harder for a woman brought up to believe that all people are equal - when the royal family embodies the very opposite concept.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Most importantly would be the requirement that the girl in question is able to embrace the concept of monarchy, class structure, the idea of acknowledging some people as better than you are and the requirement of no private life and living in a gold-fish bowl. If women who grew up with that concept as part of their upbringing, like Diana and Sarah, struggled it would be even harder for a woman brought up to believe that all people are equal - when the royal family embodies the very opposite concept.
I think that royalty is an opposite concept, in the same way that "Presidential" is.

But it doesn't mean that the people who inhabit that royal world think that they are better than anyone else. I think that is a mistake which is frequently made. I dont believe for a moment that HMQ thinks she is better than anyone else - she has been given (by dint of birth) a job to do and she does it to the best of her ability. There may be privileges attached but there are a raft of disadvantages - in particular no privacy.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Good grief, are there actually people who believe everyone is equal?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think that royalty is an opposite concept, in the same way that "Presidential" is.

But it doesn't mean that the people who inhabit that royal world think that they are better than anyone else. I think that is a mistake which is frequently made. I dont believe for a moment that HMQ thinks she is better than anyone else - she has been given (by dint of birth) a job to do and she does it to the best of her ability. There may be privileges attached but there are a raft of disadvantages - in particular no privacy.

She actually believes that she was chosen by God - read that numerous times - and so she does believe that she is better than everyone else. Her children also believe they are above everyone else - look at them, listen to them and it is clear that they do very much believe that they are better than everyone else - and part of that belief is the fact that some many people, especially those in Britain buy into that by turning out and waving at them, cheering them for what reason - because of who they are and not what they have done, which really isn't very much.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Nobility

She was chosen by God. If not by God then, by what? A roll of the dice? We where all chosen by God. She was chosen to live as an example to others, an she has done that tirelessly, and to great success for many years.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
She actually believes that she was chosen by God - read that numerous times - and so she does believe that she is better than everyone else. Her children also believe they are above everyone else - look at them, listen to them and it is clear that they do very much believe that they are better than everyone else - and part of that belief is the fact that some many people, especially those in Britain buy into that by turning out and waving at them, cheering them for what reason - because of who they are and not what they have done, which really isn't very much.
Perhaps it seems that its that way but I do see a trend towards a change in that attitude with William. I believe it hit me when he visited Australia and New Zealand after their respective natural disasters and when meeting with the families, he just simple said "Just call me William".

I don't see any of the BRF as people that look down their noses at others but rather as representatives of the Crown they represent, they're expected to accept gestures of respect.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
All of us are chosen by God to play a part in this world. Some great and some small but all are chosen by God.
Your republicans views are well know Iluvbertie, surely you're not going to start bashing people of faith now, including our Sovereign Queen.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Nobility

I don't think the Queen thinks she is better than anyone else. Being chosen by God or destined for a certain role doesn't make you better than anyone.

I recently read about a man who who saved someone elses life by pulling him out of a burning car. His comment was that he now understood why he had to move across the country...to save a life.

There are people who just seem to be put on earth to fulfill a certain role.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Nobility

As far as I know aristocracy and what I have seen and heard from QEII, I got the impression, that she believes she has to be 'better' - in the sense of living her life the best way she can, to be an example and a 'landmark' to turn to for her country; I don't think she feels 'better' in the sense Iluvbertie is referring to.

Probably I have more of an inbred feeling to be 'better' than most people, than she does.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
I don't think the Queen thinks she is better than anyone else. Being chosen by God or destined for a certain role doesn't make you better than anyone.

I recently read about a man who who saved someone elses life by pulling him out of a burning car. His comment was that he now understood why he had to move across the country...to save a life.

There are people who just seem to be put on earth to fulfill a certain role.
That makes me think of the man who ran across the freeway to pull my brother out of his burning car and gave him CPR. Sadly, my brother was killed on impact and past saving, but we were awed by this heroism. But the man told me he is uncomfortable with the title of hero, that he did what anyone would do for another human being.
Sorry if this is off topic.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry, but there would be no fall out if Henry married an american, a black woman an asian woman or anyone else you can think of. Love is love and even the monarchy get that, as long as she's not Catholic.
You are most likely from GB and are very kind but I just think that the Royal Family deep inside does not want taint their blood with an American woman much less a woman who is black as Harry's wife.

I wonder if he has ever dated an American?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness

America was founded on "all men are created equal", but that is malarky in its outward sense, as the very Founders owned slaves who were considered to be only "fractions" of men. The concept "all men are created equal" is missing its implied end, that is, that God created the souls of men equal, not their worldly environments and duties. The very word "created" implies this, although it does not state it forthrightly.
However, America's founding fathers, I am afraid, were all too human and did in general think that God favored them over their slaves, even at the soul level. So this whole concept is deep and dark. Not easily understood. Some royals seem to understand their calling by God to spiritually lead, not by dogma of the church but by example. Some royals have forgotten this concept entirely and that is WAY bad.
It is thrilling to see a royal person who does understand his or her appointment to lead.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
You are most likely from GB and are very kind but I just think that the Royal Family deep inside does not want taint their blood with an American woman much less a woman who is black as Harry's wife.

I wonder if he has ever dated an American?
Actually, I noticed when I first visited London in 1971 that there were far more interracial couples than I saw at that time in the US, and nobody stared at them like they did in the US. There seemed to be far less prejudice than I was used to seeing.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles