Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer the question, yes, Andrew and Edward were "HRH The Prince Andrew/Edward" before their marriages (becoming HRH The Duke of York/Earl of Wessex" afterwards). I have a bad habit of dropping the HRHs and Thes, hence the confusion.

Thank you for clarifying.

Could Prince Henry be given the title of Duke of Avondale without using Clarence as part of the title?

Could Prince Henry be given the title of Duke of Avondale without using Clarence as part of the title?

Probably. I would think that Prince Harry could be given any title provided it's not in use already and there aren't some restrictions as to it's use.

I wonder if the male royals can combine a title when they get married, like for instance, Windsex, the combination of Windsor and Sussex? Or maybe even Claravon, a combination of Clarence and Avondale? How about Clarendale? :lol: :ROFLMAO: :D :D

I wonder if the male royals can combine a title when they get married, like for instance, Windsex, the combination of Windsor and Sussex? Or maybe even Claravon, a combination of Clarence and Avondale? How about Clarendale? :lol: :ROFLMAO: :D :D

I don't think they can to that degree. Titles have always been based on either an actual place or the person's surname, not random words.

We do know that in some cases royal men have had a choice in picking their titles - Edward, for example, is said to have chosen his title Earl of Wessex, bringing a title that hadn't been used since the Norman Conquest back. I believe William also got to chose which title he wanted of the available ones, and Harry probably will as well. In contrast, Andrew's title was chosen for him owing to the fact that he was the second son and the title Duke of York was available (it's the traditional title of the second son of the monarch, when it's available... Which is usually). Since it's not likely to be available for use when Harry marries (or even when William's second son marries), Harry will get to pick something different when he gets a peerage.

If Prince Harry marries while his grandmother is still Queen but doesn't take on a peerage he and his wife will be TRH Prince and Princess Henry of Wales. Their children will be Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor and Lady Y Mountbatten-Windsor.

In this scenario, when Charles becomes King, Harry and his wife will become TRH The Prince and Princess Henry while their children will become HRH Prince X and HRH Princess Y.

If Prince Harry marries and is granted a peerage - say Duke of Clarence, Earl of Avondale, Baron of Athlone, then he and his wife will be TRH Duke and Duchess of Clarence during the Queen's reign, with their eldest son being Earl of Avondale, younger sons being Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor and daughters being Lady Y Mountbatten-Windsor.

In this scenario, when Charles becomes King Harry and and wife will become TRH The Duke and Duchess of Clarence, with all their children being either HRH Prince X of Clarence or HRH Princess Y of Clarence.

Well done, Ish :flowers: There's nothing more to say about it. Stick it to the first post, our dear moderators.

I don't think they can to that degree. Titles have always been based on either an actual place or the person's surname, not random words.
Well, although it was not in any of the British peerages, there were actually people created, for example, Duke of the Victory and Duke of the Sea. Not random words, that's for sure, but still no place names or personal names.

Last edited:
When Charles is King, Harry becomes just HRH Prince Harry. He loses the territorial designation. He isn't the son of the PoW anymore but the King so no more of location

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

When Charles is King, Harry becomes just HRH Prince Harry. He loses the territorial designation. He isn't the son of the PoW anymore but the King so no more of location

What if, P.H has married and he and his wife have been conferred a Dukedom prior to P.C becoming King?

Then he will still be the Duke of that place just as Andrew will still be Duke of York.

I would like Harry to get Duke of Windsor. It's time to put a positive spin on the name associated with the Windsor family. At least an Internet search wouldn't automatically pull up a nazi sympathizer.

Prince William's Suitability to be King

What if, P.H has married and he and his wife have been conferred a Dukedom prior to P.C becoming King?

It just like William is now, HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and his wife is HRH Duchess of Cambridge except the title for Harry doesn't change so he stays as Duke of wherever . The only change is when he is a son of the King it's HRH The Prince Henry, Duke of Wherever

Centre point, Royal Marsden Hospital , Child Bereavement UK were all Diana's patronages that William now has.

What titles are open (I assume Harry would be titled a Duke) for Harry?

At present George is just a Prince ...I assume no other titles correct?

LaRae

Duke of Sussex seems like a favourite but the Sovereign can create any dukedom not already in use.

Harry could be create the Duke of Hogwarts if that was desired. George is just plain old Prince George of Cambridge

I would like Harry to get Duke of Windsor. It's time to put a positive spin on the name associated with the Windsor family. At least an Internet search wouldn't automatically pull up a nazi sympathizer.

Well, I imagine Harry wouldn't want his name and that of the nazi sympathizer to be associated. That Duke of Windsor title was especially created for Edward. It's not as though there was a long line of distinguished and noble dukes named Windsor whose honor needs to be redeemed. The abdication was a tragic and bitter happening for the BRF, and it's unlikely that any of them wish for a revival of that title.

Not quite, he will become HRH The Prince Harry.

I think they may keep the Windsor title for any monarch who abdicates e.g. IF (and I don't think it would ever happen) The Queen abdicated she would become The Duchess of Windsor.

Titles that are available for Harry are quite varied although those used by royals in the past and now available is quite small with some currently not in use not available e.g. Cumberland and Albany - both were stripped from their holders with the Titles Deprivation Act during WWI but the later heirs are entitled to petition for the titles to be restored. That hasn't happened but both titles have a number of male heirs so they aren't able to be used. Connaught would also be unavailable due to the fact that Connaught itself is in the Republic of Ireland and so politically now an impossible title

I'd like to see something out of the blue. Wessex has no history as a peerage title until the earldom was created for Prince Edward.

Technically Harry can be created Duke of 'Anywhere'.

Given Harry's independent nature we may see an old England, Game-of-Thrones style dukedom.

Its highly unlikely but not completely out of the picture.

Last edited:
Duke of Clarence...although that might have a bad ring to it due to the history there.

LaRae

The titles of Henry VIII's recognized illegitimate son...are any of those still around...or absorbed into the monarchy? I think one was the Duke of Richmond?

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they may keep the Windsor title for any monarch who abdicates e.g. IF (and I don't think it would ever happen) The Queen abdicated she would become The Duchess of Windsor.
If for some reason The Queen abdicated, she would revert to her previous title HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh. The former Edward VIII was created Duke of Windsor primarily to keep him from running for Parliament.

We don't know that she would revert at all. The issue of her running for parliament is a good reason to create her as a peer of the realm in her own right as the wife of a peer is able to run.

I'd like to see something out of the blue. Wessex has no history as a peerage title until the earldom was created for Prince Edward.

Technically Harry can be created Duke of 'Anywhere'.

Given Harry's independent nature we may see an old England, Game-of-Thrones style dukedom.

Its highly unlikely but not completely out of the picture.

The title Earl of Wessex actually existed prior to the Norman Conquest; the first Earl of Wessex was Godwin of Wessex, his heir was his son Harold Godwinson, better known as Harold II.

The Queen would never abdicate but if she ever did, IMO she would remain styled Queen Elizabeth, just as Richard II, who was forced to abdicate, was still addressed as King. Edward VIII was never crowned, that's the difference. I know Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands reverted to Princess Beatrix, but it's a different system.

Duke of Clarence...although that might have a bad ring to it due to the history there.

LaRae

The titles of Henry VIII's recognized illegitimate son...are any of those still around...or absorbed into the monarchy? I think one was the Duke of Richmond?

LaRae

Henry FitzRoy was Duke of Richmond and Somerset and Earl of Nottingham.

The title Duke of Richmond is presently held by Charles Henry Gordon-Lennox, the 10th Duke in its 4th creation.

The title Duke of Somerset is presently held by John Michael Edward Seymour, the 19th Duke in its 4th creation.

The title Earl of Nottingham is presently held by Daniel James Hatfield Finch-Hatton, the 12th Earl in its 7th creation. He is also the 17th Earl of Winchilsea.

I can't see what would be wrong with the Dukedom of Sussex for Harry, with the exception perhaps, of the tabs having a giggle.

I can't see what would be wrong with the Dukedom of Sussex for Harry, with the exception perhaps, of the tabs having a giggle.
Haha, yeah there will be alot of jokes... Look at that last part of the name in combination with Harry's playboy prince image :p

The title Earl of Wessex actually existed prior to the Norman Conquest; the first Earl of Wessex was Godwin of Wessex, his heir was his son Harold Godwinson, better known as Harold II.

I'm aware of this. I said it has no history as a peerage title.

Last edited:
Theoretically couldn't he get just about any British territorial designation there is? The Queen made her brother-in-law an earl of a Welsh mountain so she could make Harry the Duke of Elephant and Castle, Earl of Soho, Baron Serpentine of Hyde Park if she wanted too couldn't she

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
^^^ Correct. Which is why I'd like something a little different or unique, just to spice things up a bit lol.

^^^ Correct. Which is why I'd like something a little different or unique, just to spice things up a bit lol.

Spice things up? How about Duke Worcestershire? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

As an 'Archers' fan [anybody?] I favour Duke of Borsetshire, Earl of Felpersham and Viscount Ambridge...

Camilla would back the idea up, wholeheartedly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom