Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He may just remain Prince Harry after marriage, by choice or otherwise. It seems pretty outdated and elitist to have Dukes, Earls and the like nowadays.

I don't; it seems like something out of Hollywood rather than a proper title- rather fake.

Nothing fake about Wessex or Mercia. Regiments and constabulary use both of them. IT's British history, definitely not made up.

He may just remain Prince Harry after marriage, by choice or otherwise. It seems pretty outdated and elitist to have Dukes, Earls and the like nowadays.

A whole discussion can be made about the existence of titles, etc. But, the system existing, it's fair to assume that Harry will get one. No reason for the opposite to happen.

He may just, but it's rather unlikely given as Britain continues to have a monarchy and an associated peerage system.

Titles are a big part of the tradition of the British monarchy and add to the pageantry behind it. Plus, if Harry were to decline a title on his marriage he'd be the only son of a monarch or future monarch to not hold a peerage. His brother, father, uncles, and grandfathers all hold peerages, as did his royal great-uncles, great-great-uncles, etc. You'd have to go back to the reign of Henry II to find an adult, married legitimate son of the monarch/heir apparent who didn't hold any further titles in England. You have to go back to John Balliol for the same in Scotland.

Plus without a peerage you get the awkward Princess Husband name scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

He may just, but it's rather unlikely given as Britain continues to have a monarchy and an associated peerage system.

Titles are a big part of the tradition of the British monarchy and add to the pageantry behind it. Plus, if Harry were to decline a title on his marriage he'd be the only son of a monarch or future monarch to not hold a peerage. His brother, father, uncles, and grandfathers all hold peerages, as did his royal great-uncles, great-great-uncles, etc. You'd have to go back to the reign of Henry II to find an adult, married legitimate son of the monarch/heir apparent who didn't hold any further titles in England. You have to go back to John Balliol for the same in Scotland.

Question: If he didn't take a title on his marriage (and assuming the Queen is still alive) the couple would be HRH Prince and Princess Henry of Wales.

When his father becomes King, I have assumed that "of Wales" would be dropped and therefore is would be HRH Prince and Princess Henry.

Is that correct?

Yes.

Before their marriages, Andrew and Edward were simply "Prince Andrew" and "Prince Edward."Likewise their mother prior to her marriage was "Princess Elizabeth" while her sister was "Princess Margaret," no "of" used.

HRH The Prince Henry and HRH The Princess Henry, to be precize. Children of a Sovereign use the definite article before their style.

Yes.

Before their marriages, Andrew and Edward were simply "Prince Andrew" and "Prince Edward."Likewise their mother prior to her marriage was "Princess Elizabeth" while her sister was "Princess Margaret," no "of" used.

Weren't Andrew and Edward 'The Prince Andrew' and 'The Prince Edward' before marriage? And I believe Elizabeth and Margaret were 'The Princess Elizabeth' and 'The Princess Margaret' once their father became king.

Last edited:
Question: If he didn't take a title on his marriage (and assuming the Queen is still alive) the couple would be HRH Prince and Princess Henry of Wales.

When his father becomes King, I have assumed that "of Wales" would be dropped and therefore is would be HRH Prince and Princess Henry.

Is that correct?

If this was to happen, would their children simply be HRH Prince/ss X?

Harry's children won't be born as Prince/Princess unless The Queen issues new LPs.

They will become Prince/Princess when Charles becomes King, under the 1917 LPs. Of course Harry could follow his uncle Edward's example and not have his children take that styling.

If he isn't promoted to the peerage then his wife will be HRH Princess Henry of Wales during the present reign and HRH The Princess Henry after that.

Nothing fake about Wessex or Mercia. Regiments and constabulary use both of them. IT's British history, definitely not made up.

Maybe so, but every time...every single time...I hear a reference to Edward or Sophie, I think of that movie with Colin Firth and Gwyneth Paltrow!

Maybe so, but every time...every single time...I hear a reference to Edward or Sophie, I think of that movie with Colin Firth and Gwyneth Paltrow!

Surely that says more about you rather than titles for the royal family. No offence intended :flowers:

Weren't Andrew and Edward 'The Prince Andrew' and 'The Prince Edward' before marriage? And I believe Elizabeth and Margaret were 'The Princess Elizabeth' and 'The Princess Margaret' once their father became king.

Prince Andrew is The Prince Andrew.
Prince Edward is The Prince Edward.

Harry's children won't be born as Prince/Princess unless The Queen issues new LPs.

They will become Prince/Princess when Charles becomes King, under the 1917 LPs. Of course Harry could follow his uncle Edward's example and not have his children take that styling.

If he isn't promoted to the peerage then his wife will be HRH Princess Henry of Wales during the present reign and HRH The Princess Henry after that.

We are aware. The question stemmed from a discussion of what Harry and his wife's titles would be if he wasn't granted a peerage after Charles became king.

Surely that says more about you rather than titles for the royal family. No offence intended :flowers:

To be fair, didn't Edward ask to be Earl of Wessex because of that movie? It's only the 2nd creation (in 1,000 years) of the title.

I realize that but that's not what I was asking. I'm not sure you looked at the post I was referencing with my question.

To answer the question, yes, Andrew and Edward were "HRH The Prince Andrew/Edward" before their marriages (becoming HRH The Duke of York/Earl of Wessex" afterwards). I have a bad habit of dropping the HRHs and Thes, hence the confusion.

If he doesn't get a title he would still be of Wales just like Prince Michael of Kent. It is only women who drop the of place convention when they get married since the add on a Mrs part. Bea will become HRH Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Dave Clark if they get married.

Harry will only be "of Wales" while his father is Prince of Wales. When Charles is king, Harry will not be "of" anything.

If /when Harry becomes a peer in his own right he'll cease to be "of Wales" as well.

If I may add to Ish's post with some examples:

HRH Princess Margaret 'of York' actually complained when she wasn't 'of York' anymore - because her father had become King and she had only just learnt to write 'of York' and now didn't need it.

Going further back to George VI:

Birth to 28th May 1898:HH Prince Albert of York (yes HH until 1898 when Victoria changed to LPs to allow George V's children to be HRH)
28th May 1898 22nd January, 1901: HRH Prince Albert of York
22nd January 1901 - November 9th 1901: HRH Prince Albert of Cornwall and York
9th November 1901 - 6th May 1910: HRH Prince Albert of Wales
6th May 1910 - 4th June 1920: HRH The Prince Albert
4th June 1920 - 11th December 1936: HRH The Duke of York whose daughters were TRH Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret of York.

Even Prince Charles and Princess Anne were 'of Edinburgh' until 6th February 1952 and from then on HRH The Duke of Cornwall and in Scotland HRH The Prince Charles, The Duke of Rothesay and Anne was HRH The Princess Anne until she became HRH The Princess Royal.

Prince Michael is 'of Kent' because he is the younger son of the Duke of Kent. His brother and sister were born 'of Kent' but his brother stopped being HRH Prince Edward of Kent when his father died and he became HRH The Duke of Kent and Alexandra dropped the 'of Kent' officially when she married. The same with The Duke of Gloucester - HRH Prince Richard of Gloucester until he inherited his father's title.

What happens in this unlike scenario, Harry doesn't accept a peerage. He has a child. If the Queen is still alive, the child is Lord or Lady Name Mountbatten Windsor. However, when Charles is King, the child is upgraded to HRH Prince/Princess Name of Title Location normally like George. He is HRH Prince George of Cambridge. Would his cousin just be HRH Prince(ss) Name?

This is totally hypothetical, because more than likely Harry will have a peerage like almost all adult sons of a monarch in history.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If Prince Harry marries while his grandmother is still Queen but doesn't take on a peerage he and his wife will be TRH Prince and Princess Henry of Wales. Their children will be Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor and Lady Y Mountbatten-Windsor.

In this scenario, when Charles becomes King, Harry and his wife will become TRH The Prince and Princess Henry while their children will become HRH Prince X and HRH Princess Y.

If Prince Harry marries and is granted a peerage - say Duke of Clarence, Earl of Avondale, Baron of Athlone, then he and his wife will be TRH Duke and Duchess of Clarence during the Queen's reign, with their eldest son being Earl of Avondale, younger sons being Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor and daughters being Lady Y Mountbatten-Windsor.

In this scenario, when Charles becomes King Harry and and wife will become TRH The Duke and Duchess of Clarence, with all their children being either HRH Prince X of Clarence or HRH Princess Y of Clarence.

Perhaps, but I'd be willing to wager that I'm not alone! :flowers:

(I think Edward has always been a frustrated show business aficionado, and it shows).

Perhaps, but I'd be willing to wager that I'm not alone! :flowers:

(I think Edward has always been a frustrated show business aficionado, and it shows).

To put "Wessex" into context. Only one monarch in our history has been called "Great" - that's King Alfred. he was King of Wessex from 871 to 899. He saw off the Vikings, introduced a single language for the country and is the first King designated "King of the Anglo-Saxons"

Alfred the Great. He is v special.

Sorry for going off topic

I liked the idea that Edward had of using an old "Kingdom" name; I also like the idea of something new. Here are a few more old "Kingdoms"

Mercia (Duke of Mercia sounds good)
Deira
Anglia
Lindsey
Strathclyde

Never happen tho'

Love them! Maybe we should tweet them to Clarence House :D
Harry could get a title without marrying, is that right? I could see then Charles giving him one when he is King.

I liked the idea that Edward had of using an old "Kingdom" name; I also like the idea of something new. Here are a few more old "Kingdoms"

Mercia (Duke of Mercia sounds good)

Deira

Anglia

Lindsey

Strathclyde

Never happen tho'

Never say never.

Sussex, Kent, and Northumbria are all also old kingdoms that were subsequently peerages.

I do think it's unlikely that Harry will be given a peerage that doesn't have history as a peerage. Earl of Wessex is a title that existed before Edward (despite its Hollywood background). While the Kingdom of Wessex was the immediate precursor to the Kingdom of England, the title was first conferred on Godwin during the reign of Edward the Confessor. Godwin had a number of sons (one being Earl of Mercia, another Earl of Northumbria, a third Earl of East Anglia, and a fourth Earl of Kent), but the son who inherited his Earldom was Harold Godwinson, Earl of Wessex. Harold is better remembered as Harold II, the last Anglo-Saxon King of England. In choosing that as his title, Edward chose one of the oldest Earldoms (if one lesser used) in England, with a very rich and important history. Harry could do worse than following his uncle's path.

Love them! Maybe we should tweet them to Clarence House :D
Harry could get a title without marrying, is that right? I could see then Charles giving him one when he is King.

Yes - the present Queen has waited until her sons married to give them titles but in earlier generations that wasn't the case e.g. her own father was created Duke of York in 1920 and his younger brothers were also given their dukedoms before they married - as was George V, Queen Victoria's sons and George III's sons. It is the present Queen who has made the tradition at marriage rather than earlier in their lives.

I believe the late Duke of Kent was given his Dukedom in anticipation of his marriage, unlike his elder brothers who were all given theirs years before their marriage.

Last edited:
I think you mean the Duke of Kent.

The Duke of Gloucester was created in 1928 and he married in 1935 while the Duke of Kent was created in 1934 a few weeks before his marriage.

I think you mean the Duke of Kent.

The Duke of Gloucester was created in 1928 and he married in 1935 while the Duke of Kent was created in 1934 a few weeks before his marriage.

Yes, I did. Thank you. I've corrected my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom