The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

I think your post crossed over with Iluvbertie's. Chances are that William's speculative second son will have his own royal dukedom well before the current Dukedom of York becomes available for re-creation.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well that all depends on when William becomes King, when he marries, when Andrew passes away and when his second son is born.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Nobility

A general question what about a freshly created title; in the 'something created not tried before"; for HRH Harry of Wales then?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince Henry.
What title would you mean?
I would imagine Henry would get Earl of Sussex. If that's possible.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Three possible Dukedoms for Harry would be Suseex, Lancaster and Strathearn. And what about the Dukedom of Connaught? Is it better to avoid using it because Connaught is now part of Ireland?

I wonder why Queen Victoria didn't create her second son Alfred as Duke of York, despite the title was at the time available; does anyone know?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Queen is Duke of Lancaster is she not?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Yes, you're right, my mistake

And what about the Dukedom of Cambridge?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've always hoped that will go to William before he marries, and then to his second or third son when he ascends the throne.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
I wonder why Queen Victoria didn't create her second son Alfred as Duke of York, despite the title was at the time available; does anyone know?
Victoria was loathe to associate her family with that of her father's brothers and so didn't use their titles. She relented later in life but for her own sons refused.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Commoner

Clarence, Sussex and Cambridge are all extinct "royal" dukedoms, as they've been previously used by the royal family. However, as the monarch is fount of all honor, she (or he, if Charles is king) can pick any unused dukedom or make up another one depending for Harry/William/whoever.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Commoner

I love reading and learning about all things Royal. Being from the States I find it fascinating and confusing at the same time! Question -

Let's say William is named Duke of Cambridge when he marries, and Harry is named Duke of Clarence or Duke of Sussex when he marries (examples only), what would their subsidiary titles be? Do the Dukedoms of Cambridge, Clarence and Sussex each come with a "set" list of subsidiary titles or are the subsidiary titles "randomly" picked for the holder of the title? If Harry became Duke of Clarence, what would he be Earl of ?? and Baron of ??; and the same thing with William for Cambridge?

I hope the question makes sense. Thanks so much.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The question makes sense.
But from what I can find there are no courtesy titles that belong to Duke of Cambridge.

The last time the title Duke of Sussex was conferred to the sixth son of George III, he was created Duke of Sussex, Earl of Inverness, and Baron Arklow.

The Duke of Clarence title is more confusing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Clarence

Heres the Wikipedia list, and to be quite honest I doubt anyone would tamper with this kind of list.
List of courtesy titles in the Peerages of the British Isles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Commoner

Thanks for the responses. I came up with a few more questions.

On this website - Useranbarnesdavies/Royal peerages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia they list peerages by "seniority". Does the "seniority" of a title really mean anything when they decide which ones to bestow upon someone? I keep reading that most people believe William could be named Duke of Cambridge. I see that "Clarence" is listed before Cambridge. I do realize that it depends upon when it was first created and Clarence was created before Cambridge. Just didn't know if there was a distinction between peerages that are "more important" than others. Make sense? Hope so.

Also have read before - probably on one of the forums on this website - that someone wondered if William could take a title dealing with St. Andrews since that is where he went to University and where he met Kate. I know he can't be named Earl of St. Andrews but what about Duke of St. Andrews? or Duke of Clarence and St. Andrews? Would St. Andrews be less "senior" to Cambridge? Of course William will one day have other titles and the ones he may receive upon marriage will revert back to the crown.

If William was named Duke of Cambridge or Duke of St. Andrews, could Harry be named Duke of Clarence, even though it's listed as more "senior" to the other two?

Thanks so much for the information. I have fun reading everything.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Harry would get a title of lesser standing than his brother presumably, he might get additional titles when William becomes King. It all depends on what Harry wants in his future.

Thanks for the response.

Of Duke of Cambridge or Duke of St. Andrews or Duke of Clarence or Duke of Sussex, which would be the titles of higher standing or lesser standing?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJJ View Post
Thanks for the response.

Of Duke of Cambridge or Duke of St. Andrews or Duke of Clarence or Duke of Sussex, which would be the titles of higher standing or lesser standing?
There has never been a Duke of St Andrews in there own right, it was linked to Clarence I believe.

Umm I'm not 100% but i think it would go

Sussex, Cambridge, Clarence with St Andrews.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Commoner

I've run accross this interesting article http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/the...edom-for-harry and would like to get your take on what it says.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I personally don't think the title Duke of Windsor will be used until after the Queen has passed.
I could see why Harry would be given such a dukedom as that of Sussex, but IMO I think he should get an Earldom.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
There has never been a Duke of St Andrews in there own right, it was linked to Clarence I believe.

Umm I'm not 100% but i think it would go

Sussex, Cambridge, Clarence with St Andrews.
There's no St. Andrews dukedom currently -- there's an earldom of St. Andrews, held as a subsidiary title by the current Duke of Kent, and used by the Duke's son.

The dukedom of Clarence, during its last use, was linked with the Scottish place name of "Avondale." Clarence was linked with the place name "St. Andrews" when William IV held the title. If it was recreated again, it might be done so with neither of those previous place names or a new one.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Commoner

Did a little playing around with titles - just for fun. We all know that one day William will receive other titles. But we can assume that the Queen could live quite a few more years so it's possible William would be "Duke of " for 10-15 (or more) years before becoming Duke of Cornwall or Prince of Wales.

So, as I said just for fun, I came up with this.

HRH The Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Marquess of Berkhamstead, Earl of Kennington, Viscount of Trematon, Baron of the Isle of Alderney

The Marquess, Earl, Viscount, Baron courtesy titles all come from Prince William the Duke of Cumberland and are not the courtesy titles of the of the suspended Duke of Cumberland.

HRH The Prince Henry, Duke of Sussex, Earl of Milford Haven, Viscount Northallerton, Baron Tewkesbury

The Earl, Viscount and Baron courtesy titles are all from Prince George, Duke of Cambridge.

The courtesy titles could be switched between Cambridge and Sussex.

Like I said - just for fun.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Just a note - they aren't the 'The Prince William' or 'The Prince Henry' at the moment. The title 'The Prince/Princess xxx', with the capital 'T' in the word 'the' is reserved for the children of the reigning monarch (and The Prince Philip, as the consort of The Queen). So it is The Prince Charles, The Prince Andrew, The Prince Edward and The Princess Anne but Prince William of Wales, Prince Henry of Wales, Princess Beatrice of York, Princess Eugenie of York, Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra (of Kent).

When The Queen dies then William and Harry will become 'The Prince William' and 'The Prince Henry' assuming that Charles is still alive - otherwise Harry will never be 'The Prince Henry' as he won't be the child of the sovereign.

Philip's designation with the capital 'T' was made in 1957 when he was created a Prince of the UK.

I don't think that the title Earl of Milford Haven would be created considering that Prince Philip's family already has the title Marquis of Milford Haven as the main title (Philip's grandfather Prince Louis of Battenburg was the 1st Marquis, the 2nd was involved in Philip's upbringing (more so than Lord Louis if Philip is to be believed) and the 3rd was his best man).

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles