The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The problem I see with Daughters able to inherit the title, is the ability of a woman to have children by a multitude of men, if she so wishes. Would we then see the eldest child named Viscount Winston - Smythe - Rumbold - Chalmondley and the next Marlborough - Grosvenor - Harringdon - Bloome? I hate to admit it but following the male line does in some ways make sense.
I'm a bit confused... Men can have children by a multitude of women, if they so wish, also. Granted, if they are married to the women, the children usually bear the man's surname, but that's not a given, never has been through history. There are plenty of instances where a family's surname has changed when a woman with money married the man with the title. If the family name is that important, then include a stipulation when changing the LPs that the heir must keep the family name, regardless of gender. I've never been a raging feminist but the arguments against eldest daughters inheriting titles seem rather chauvinistic and quite unfair to women in general.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

It'll be interesting to see if Harry's children have titles, or if he goes the route of Princess Anne and asks they don't have titles.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
I'm a bit confused... Men can have children by a multitude of women, if they so wish, also. Granted, if they are married to the women, the children usually bear the man's surname, but that's not a given, never has been through history.
The only recognised legitimate heirs are those born within wedlock, or if the parents at least marry. Many Dukedoms have been lost simply because there was no male heir. There are very few Dukedoms that have passed to the daughter and as a consequence, the title has died out.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Serene Highness

I'm a woman myself, and in general, I see equality as a good thing. But this is about very old traditions. And my opinion is, that a title should only go to a female, if she doesn't have a brother, who can inherit it. That's just how I feel about it. However, Beatrice or Eugenie should be able inherit the dukedom of York, as they don't have a brother.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM

I think Beatrice or Eugenie should inherit the dukedom of york, but I read somewhere that the title is reserved for the second son of the monarch so I think Prince Harry will be the next duke of york when Charles is king
Old 08-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
I'm a woman myself, and in general, I see equality as a good thing. But this is about very old traditions. And my opinion is, that a title should only go to a female, if she doesn't have a brother, who can inherit it. That's just how I feel about it. However, Beatrice or Eugenie should be able inherit the dukedom of York, as they don't have a brother.
I am an the eldest and a woman, much as I hate to admit it, I can see the reasons to keep the system as it is, with alterations made solely for the succession to the throne.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame_Deficit View Post
I think Beatrice or Eugenie should inherit the dukedom of york, but I read somewhere that the title is reserved for the second son of the monarch so I think Prince Harry will be the next duke of york when Charles is king

Harry can't become Duke of York while Andrew lives.

Andrew is currently only 49 and will probably live another 30 years or so.

Harry won't be Duke of York for the simple reason that is uncle will hold that title for so many years yet.

In addition, if Andrew was to remarry and have a son that son would inherit the York title and it would eventually move out of the royal family.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Courtier

I am sorry do you mean if Andrew remarries and has a son, he and then his son would keep the Duke of York title and it would not revert back to the crown???? I did not know this. Poor Harry what do you think they might make him in lou of Duke of YorK ? Edward is said to have been promised DOE when his father Passes. or wil that revert back to the crown too?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

If Andrew has a legitimate son then that son, and his subsequent sons would take the York title - most definitely in the same way that the Kent and Gloucester titles will cease to be held by HRHs in the next generation. The LPs that created Andrew as Duke of York stated that it would be inherited by 'heirs male' so any legitimate son would be able to inherit the title (assuming that Andrew would remarry and have a son - both of which seem remote but not impossible).

When Edward married it was announced that the intention was that when the title reverted to the crown then it would be recreated for him. That assumes that it does revert to the crown and isn't inherited by Harry with no chance of it reaching Edward. Under the existing LPs the Edinburgh title will go to Charles on the death of Philip but.... if Charles and William die, before Philip, leaving a legitimate daughter for William then Harry would inherit the title directly and it wouldn't be available for regrant to Edward. In all likelihood what will happen is that Philip will die and Charles will inherit the Edinburgh dukedom in the normal course of events. The Queen will then die and Charles will become King meaning that the Edinburgh title will merge with the crown. The other most likely scenario is that The Queen dies, Charles becomes King, Philip dies and thus the Edinburgh title merges with the crown and is available for regrant for Edward. In addition, if Charles, William, Harry and Andrew (without additional legitimate issue) all predecease the Queen and Philip then Beatrice becomes Queen and Edward inherits all of his father's titles and no regrant is needed. Beatrice can't inherit the titles as she is female but she can become Queen.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

The discussion of non-royal peerages has been moved to the British Nobility thread.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM

The discussion of the York, Gloucester and Kent ducal titles together with the Duke of Edinburgh question (which was asked and answered once again just two weeks ago) have been moved to the Royal Dukes and Ducal Titles thread.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Courtier

Prince Harry - present & future Titles

When/or if Charles becomes King, William will assume many of Charles former titles.
As Harry is the Spare, will he also get new/additional Titles??
Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Can Imagine Prince Henry Duke of Sussex
Old 11-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope they come up with another one. I don't really like Duke of Sussex. To me Sussex sounds too similar to Wessex.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaW View Post
When/or if Charles becomes King, William will assume many of Charles former titles.
As Harry is the Spare, will he also get new/additional Titles??
Charles becoming King won't bring any additional titles to Prince Harry. Harry will (most probably) by then have the Dukedom created for him immediately prior to his wedding and that will be it - no bonuses. He and his family will be known thereafter by that ducal title and 'of Wales' will become the preserve of William and his family.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

repeatOf course on Charles becoming King both William and Harry will be The Prince William and The Prince Harry - with the capital T on the to indicate that they are the children of the monarch.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Would Harry be allowed to marry Chelsey before William married ??
Old 11-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaW View Post
Would Harry be allowed to marry Chelsey before William married ??
Of course, there would be no reason why he couldn't.
Prince Joachim married before his elder brother Prince Frederik.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's only the Swedish monarchy that prefers the eldest marry first. Also Princess Anne married before her older brother Prince Charles did.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It could if they wanted to happen.
I think Harry's kids will be an HRH.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles