The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsy View Post
Does anyone know what titles Prince Harry will get when he marries or when Prince Charles becomes King? Has the Queen reserved any titles for Prince Harry?

We have no idea.

The title given to Prince Edward (Wessex) was out of left field so it is possible that any title given to Harry could also be something unexpected.

It is even possible, although doubtful, that Harry mightn't get any title at all.

We do know a list of unavailable titles but the monarch can create any title she/he likes.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I cannot imagine that Harry won't have any title except he would abstain from it, because there will be only two children of the future King. All four sons of King George V. were styled Dukes - except John, but he died too young - and Princess Mary was styled Princess Royal. So I would be suprised if Harry only would remain Prince Henry. But please correct me, if I'm wrong

Old 08-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I have a feeling Harry will receive another title, but not necessarily because of the size of the family -- I think another major factor is his possible future wife's title. If he didn't receive a dukedom or earldom, his wife would be Princess Henry. That's worked okay for Princess Michael of Kent, but I don't know if it would do as well for the daughter-in-law of the sovereign.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Courtier

It would probably be best for Harry to recieve a title as the media ( and most of the public) will call his wife Princess X anyway.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I have a feeling Harry will receive another title, but not necessarily because of the size of the family -- I think another major factor is his possible future wife's title. If he didn't receive a dukedom or earldom, his wife would be Princess Henry. That's worked okay for Princess Michael of Kent, but I don't know if it would do as well for the daughter-in-law of the sovereign.
Yes, thats another fact which would make it possible, that he will receive another title. But as RoyalistRiley posted, the press will create its "own" title nevertheless, like with Diana, which never was styled "Princess Diana".
Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

They might, I suppose, but I don't remember anyone ever calling Sarah, Duchess of York "Princess Sarah" while she was married to Andrew. I think that press mistake mostly happened with Diana, and her regularly-used title was as a princess, just not as "Princess Diana."

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Right. Well, they had "Fergie" instead, as I remember right.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Second Sons usually get Duke of York
Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Yes, thats right, but this title isn't vacant as Prince Andrew still bears him.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post

Only when that title is vacant and as Prince Andrew is only 49 it is highly unlikely to become vacant in the next 20 - 40 years.

As a result either Harry will have to wait that long or get a different title (remember that Queen Victoria gave her own second son Duke of Edinburgh even though the Duke of York title was available, with the previous holder having died in 1828.

Of course that also assumes that Andrew doesn't marry again and have a son to inherit the York title from him.

It is a strange title in that it has not passed to the second generation since the late middle ages with the holder either becoming King or dying leaving no legitimate male heirs.

Another possibility is that if they change the succession laws regard equal inheritance for the throne they may also make a blanket change to LPs allowing for gender blind succession to all titles (and I think they should - if they do it for the top job then it should apply to all titles) in which case Beatrice would inherit the York title as her father's eldest child.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Serene Highness

Yeah, Beatrice should inherit the York title, and Harry could get another dukedom.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Courtier

It would be nice to have a second Duchess of York.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
It would be nice to have a second Duchess of York.
But would PB be Duchess of York? Isn't a duchess the wife of a duke?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Most Dukedoms follow male-preference primogeniture, some do not. I believe the York title is of the former.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Most Dukedoms follow male-preference primogeniture, some do not. I believe the York title is of the former.
Under the current LPs that is the case.

If, however, they are going to change the inheritance laws for the Crown why shouldn't they change all the LPs to allow for females to have equal inheritance to all titles thus allowing Beatrice to be Duchess of York in her own right.

It probably won't happen but I think it should. Why should a title become extinct just because there isn't a male heir? Seems very unfair to me.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
But would PB be Duchess of York? Isn't a duchess the wife of a duke?
She could also be a duchess in her own right, just like a queen usually is a king´s wife, but she could also be a queen in her own right, like the current queens of the UK, Denmark and the Netherlands are.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Under the current LPs that is the case.

If, however, they are going to change the inheritance laws for the Crown why shouldn't they change all the LPs to allow for females to have equal inheritance to all titles thus allowing Beatrice to be Duchess of York in her own right.

It probably won't happen but I think it should. Why should a title become extinct just because there isn't a male heir? Seems very unfair to me.
I can't see it happening any time soon, Daughters are taught their place from the moment of their birth. It would leave many Dukes open to challenges from their older sisters! Very many of our present Dukes would shudder to face the prospect of the title and estates passing into the hands of a daughter and possibly her husband.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I can't see it happening any time soon, Daughters are taught their place from the moment of their birth. It would leave many Dukes open to challenges from their older sisters! Very many of our present Dukes would shudder to face the prospect of the title and estates passing into the hands of a daughter and possibly her husband.
I think you have hit on the crux of the problem.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Just because the title males would be upset doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.

Obviously I am not suggesting that current title holders would or could be challenged by older sisters but rather that those who have an eldest child who is a daughter should see that title pass to that daughter rather then to the eldest son, at the same time as the change is made to the gender succession to the crown. If a woman can be Queen Regnant it doesn't hold up that a woman couldn't handle the estates of a titled family - the present Queen has managed to handle the Duchy of Lancaster estate so that argument doesn't hold water.

It would be a radical change and many aristocrats would hate to see change but if change is going to be made to the succession to the top title then, I believe, it should happen all the way.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

The problem I see with Daughters able to inherit the title, is the ability of a woman to have children by a multitude of men, if she so wishes. Would we then see the eldest child named Viscount Winston - Smythe - Rumbold - Chalmondley and the next Marlborough - Grosvenor - Harringdon - Bloome? I hate to admit it but following the male line does in some ways make sense.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles