The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Commoner

can two people have titles over the same place? for example could there be both a duke of clarence and earl of clarence??

Old 10-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

A lot of the current dukedoms were at one time earldoms: i.e., Duke of Sutherland (was Earl of Sutherland) Duke of Marlborough (was Earl of Marlborough) but to my knowledge there has never been a dukedom and an earldom with the same name before as in a Duke of Clarence and Earl of Clarence at the same time.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
He could receive an earldom (i.e. Earl of Truro) for now since he is very close to becoming The Duke of Cornwall given the reality of The Queen's age.

I thought I read he and she would become Duke/Duchess of Cambridge or was that Clarence?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
I thought I read he and she would become Duke/Duchess of Cambridge or was that Clarence?
The Daily Mail claimed last week that Cambridge was the go, but no source was quoted.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt The Queen is prepared to approve a marriage for William at this point, much less talk about his titles when he does marry.

It's all speculation in the press.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
The Daily Mail claimed last week that Cambridge was the go, but no source was quoted.
Daily Mail Warren?, I'm dissapointed...
Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Commoner

What would be the correct title of Prince William future wife?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, if William wasn't already Prince of Wales in his inherent right by the time he is married, his wife would assume the style and titles associated to him thus far. And so becoming.

HRH The Princess William (Arthur Philip Louis) of Wales.

The lady would of course be referred to as Princess xxxxxxxxx, but she is (as have all been) a Princess of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland solely on the conditions of her marriage.

If William has already succeeded to the Princely title, his wife shall again take on all styles and titles associated to her husband. Thus becoming.

Her Royal Highness The Princess William, The Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland
Old 11-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Her Royal Highness The Princess William, The Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland
Is the Countess of Chester linked with the POW title? Countess of Carrick is listed separately.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester is a package deal.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

She wouldn't be HRH The Princess William of Wales because he is not a son of the Sovereign. She would be HRH Princess William, Duchess of Something, assuming The Queen granted him a dukedom upon marriage.

Once Charles becomes the Sovereign, William automatically becomes Duke of Cornwall, et al. So his wife is never HRH The Princess William, she is always HRH The Duchess of Cornwall until he is created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKLS2007
What would be the correct title of Prince William future wife?
If William married while The Queen still reigned, his wife would be HRH Princess William of Wales. If granted a peerage upon marriage (very likely), his wife would be styled after his peerage (i.e. HRH The Duchess of Clarence).

If he marries once Charles is King, then his wife becomes Duchess of Cornwall and Princess of Wales.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
She wouldn't be HRH The Princess William of Wales because he is not a son of the Sovereign. She would be HRH Princess William, Duchess of Something, assuming The Queen granted him a dukedom upon marriage.

Once Charles becomes the Sovereign, William automatically becomes Duke of Cornwall, et al. So his wife is never HRH The Princess William, she is always HRH The Duchess of Cornwall until he is created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester.
So please tell me where I have been misinformed (except for my use of 'the')? As far as I'm aware, all I have stated is true and actual
Old 11-29-2006, 06:14 PM

Well, when William marries - if he remains HRH Prince William - his wife will be HRH Princess William of Wales. If he is created a Duke, she will become HRH The Duchess of X. And then her title changes with the titles he racks up.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, when William marries - if he remains HRH Prince William - his wife will be HRH Princess William of Wales. If he is created a Duke, she will become HRH The Duchess of X. And then her title changes with the titles he racks up.
But all this (with exception to misusing 'the') I have noted BeatrixFan
Old 11-29-2006, 07:09 PM

Yup. I was giving you my best impression of a parrot.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Yup. I was giving you my best impression of a parrot.
And you do it so well hehe
Old 12-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Aristocracy

I think, as long as Queen Elizabeth II still alive, William possibly will hold a title of the Duke of Clarence. This title used by the Late Prince Albert Victor, eldest son of King Edward and Queen Alexandra. He was the second in line to the throne at that time, because his father was a Prince of Wales.

So if it's true William and his wife will be called
"HRH Prince and Princess, The Duke and Duchess of Clarence"

But once The Prince of Wales become a King, I think William will immedietly become the new Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Earl of Chester, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.

Well, that's my guess...
Old 12-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Royal Highness

Four dukedoms is a bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda_windsor
I think, as long as Queen Elizabeth II still alive, William possibly will hold a title of the Duke of Clarence. This title used by the Late Prince Albert Victor, eldest son of King Edward and Queen Alexandra. He was the second in line to the throne at that time, because his father was a Prince of Wales.

So if it's true William and his wife will be called
"HRH Prince and Princess, The Duke and Duchess of Clarence"

But once The Prince of Wales become a King, I think William will immedietly become the new Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Earl of Chester, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.

Well, that's my guess...
Unlikely.
In a very foreseeable future Prince William will become the most titled Peer of the United Kingdom. If Prince Philip dies before The Queen, Prince Charles will become Duke of Edinburgh besides his Dukedoms of Cornwall and Rothesay.

In an unlucky situation Prince William (in your scenario Duke of Clarence) even can become Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Edinburgh and Duke of Clarence. That makes him holding 4 dukedoms. I'm sure this will not be the intention of the Court.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Unlikely.
In a very foreseeable future Prince William will become the most titled Peer of the United Kingdom. If Prince Philip dies before The Queen, Prince Charles will become Duke of Edinburgh besides his Dukedoms of Cornwall and Rothesay.

In an unlucky situation Prince William (in your scenario Duke of Clarence) even can become Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Edinburgh and Duke of Clarence. That makes him holding 4 dukedoms. I'm sure this will not be the intention of the Court.
The Dukedom of Edinburgh is already 'reserved' for HRH The Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex upon Prince Philip's demise (may good health proceed him).

Tags
prince harry, prince william, styles and titles