The Reported Breakup - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, in any case, I think it would be good if we all excercised a bit of caution in believing what is written in the next few days, as I am sure all sorts of nasty things will be said. And it would not behoove any of us to believe everything that is written, nor neccessarily to comment on those things.. Especially the ones that seem so off base, as there are sure to be many

The Sun 'Royal Reporter' who appears to have broken the story is Duncan Larcombe, who isn't a familiar name. Richard Kay must be seething. :lol:

Empress said:
And any in case, my grandmother had a saying "If you love something, let it go. If it comes back then it was meant to be, and if not, well then...."

And for all we know she ended it and not him. Amicable is the word they are using, not He did, or she did. So we really do not know.

I think it was amicable. I also agree that both decided to put a breather on their relationship as they both went off and did what they needed to do in their lives--for William the military and for Kate--work. I also think their is a probability that both will be back together. William's military career and his new-found military friends makes him needing to test other waters, continue to drink and party heavily and make an *ss of himself without the fear and worry his 'girlfriend' will be ratting at him after the press catches him again enjoying himself in the company of other women without her. Perhaps this is best for the couple.

It is also interesting that this 'steady & strong' relationship hasn't lasted as well as Harry's & Chelsy's. Unless of course, Chelsy is more forgiving and understanding that there will be competition and time away from Harry that she can't stop. With Kate, she's a smart lady who does expect some trouble in a relationship, but won't be or want to be made a fool of--even though he's a prince. Anyway, that's my take on this breakup.

And as the saying goes above, time will tell if it was love or just convenience.:)

breakup

Who knows this could just be William and Kate's way of keeping the press off her backwhile he is busy with his military duties.

Warren said:
The Sun 'Royal Reporter' who appears to have broken the story is Duncan Larcombe, who isn't a familiar name. Richard Kay must be seething. :lol:
Duncan from The Sun is kinda on the rise. :sad: He is usually the Sun royal watcher in recent years, isn't he? Richard Kay's star might be fading. He was the hot stuff royal watcher in the 90s because of Diana. Now he's not close to any royals because he backed the "losing" side. I don't see Duncan being a royal insider, but I think he has his spies in all the "right" circles.:lol:

Panicgrl said:
I'm really sorry to see this. I thought they were such a well-matched couple.

Perhaps they were 'too well-matched', especially after the criticism of their 'matching tweeds' at Cheltenham where I read they were criticised for looking like an old couple. I actually liked their tweeds, but many others didn't. As such, if they themselves read the report and walking away feelilng that this was another critical zing in their relationship and thus made them looked already married and far removed from their contemporaries; and, such gave a different look into a relationship that may have already been plagued with trouble due to intense media, it was one of the last straws to break this couple's relationship down. Just a conjecture albiet not really a strong one, but more an observation and opinion.:)

What really suprises me is that everyone, including major networks and papers, have seemed to taken the Sun's word for it. Isn't the Sun a tabloid paper? I could see others picking up on the story if the BBC or something like that had broken the story but I am suprised so many news outlets seem to be taking what the Sun said as a fact.

contessa said:
Who knows this could just be William and Kate's way of keeping the press off her backwhile he is busy with his military duties.

I have thought so as well. They need the breathing room that other couples have to make the mistakes, to break-up numerous times then find themselves back together after loving and learning. We are also dealing with two bright individuals with minds of their own, albiet less for William as he has the 'firm' to answer to, more than Kate. I also feel for Kate's family who had opened up their door and life to William making him part of their family and enjoying what it's like to be a family outside of palace doors. His friendship with Kate's family probably brought a lot of contentment, privacy and enjoyment of a world he hadn't known, which is a world many on this forum have lived and enjoyed. :)

marezdote said:
What really suprises me is that everyone, including major networks and papers, have seemed to taken the Sun's word for it. Isn't the Sun a tabloid paper? I could see others picking up on the story if the BBC or something like that had broken the story but I am suprised so many news outlets seem to be taking what the Sun said as a fact.

Well, we will see what happens in the next week. I think they have decided a moratorium on their relationship to give each other a break from the intrusion of the press. Afterall, these last few weeks have been tough on both. They need the break, not only from the media, but from each other to live a freer life without feeling they might offend or hurt the other whenever the press snaps a picture here and there in compromsing positions. :)

Last edited:
Ah well, at least I can dream of another Royal-royal marriage or royal-noble marriage for wills.

I hope it's not true...:ermm: This was very surprising! They looked so happy together the last time!

What a relief ! Really didn't like her :wacko:

And now I have a shot with him ! Kidding .. actually not really ;)

Last edited:
I Hope I Did This Correctly....

Report: Prince William single again

Prince William and his girlfriend Kate Middleton have ended their four-year relationship, dashing hopes of a royal wedding to rival that of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.
The Sun newspaper reported Saturday that the couple had reached an "amicable agreement" to separate. Sources confirmed the split to the Press Association news agency.
William's Clarence House office refused to comment, saying it did not discuss the prince's private life, but royal sources did not deny the report, tacitly acknowledging it was true.
The newspaper said the split was caused by the huge pressures on the young couple and by William's career in the army. The second in line to the throne graduated from Sandhurst military academy in December and is undergoing further training at an army base in rural England.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was quite surprised to hear the news, and I'm still a bit cautious believing it. The Sun doesn’t fall into my category of 'trustworthy' paper and all other magazines/newspapers/channels seem to be quoting the Sun.
Euronews said the Sun first leaked it then some friends of the Prince confirmed it; however I haven't seen any sort of confirmation from any known friends, unless I wasn't careful enough when reading the posts in the thread.

If it is however true, I'm very sorry for the couple. Hope both of them will be able to find happiness with different partners.

I'm really surprised and sad at the story. I thought they were great together. I thought they wouldn't get married anytime soon. But for them to break up is a great surprise. :(

I think it is true, Avalon. I had today the time to stay online and surf around and watch all news on TV. All serious news channels and papers and websites have the headlines too. Only Clarence House gave no comment, but they were only a couple but not engaged or married, this could be the reason.

janos614 said:
I can't really picture him with anyone else- they seemed like a good match in many ways.
Frankly, I can. Kate seemed a nice enough girl, but to me, she never seemed the love of his life for some reason. Never liked her that much as princess material either.

I always thoughts William's former flame Jessica Craig was much more interesting, much more suitable. I hope he finds another Jessica, a woman of the world, rather than some boring suburban girl with not a real interest (seemingly, that is) in the world. :ermm:

I think all of them are crediting the Sun as a source, milla Ca. And it's a newspaper that was reporting about their 'enagement' every week or so.

I know Clarence House won't make any comments, they never do on issues like this. The only way, I guess, is to wait and see. Surely sooner or later we'll know the truth - if, say, we don't see them together next time Prince William has free time, then I'll be prepared to believe the news. :)

I'm still surprised how the story went wrong so suddenly. Even the press and paparazzi didn't had a clue ! I was gessing that the engagement would have been announced during the summer holiday which would have made the commemoration of princess Diana a little less depressing.

Last edited:
SASSY said:
Ingrid Seward, editor of Majesty magazine, said the couple's relationship had reached an impasse.
"They can't go forward because William is in the army and he's dedicated the next few years of his life to that, so he's not in a position to get married," Seward said.
"They had lived together when they were at university, so in a way their relationship has become more difficult. They have seen a lot less of each other and are under a huge amount of pressure."
They broke up because of the 'inconvenience?' If true, then it was not real love. If your true love is in the army for a while, you will weather it, if the person's worth it. Clearly, that's not the case then here, with two people who don't want to be inconvenienced, <if> this army-story was the breakup factor.

And anyway, Kate got what she wanted: a cool, coveted job in the fashion world, without an ounce of previous experience.

And as for William: maybe he just was not that keen on acquiring such an ambitious mom in law! Good for him!

Last edited by a moderator:
princess olga said:
And anyway, Kate got what she wanted: a cool, coveted job in the fashion world, without an ounce of previous experience.

She could have easily gotten the Jigsaw job without William, considering that the Robinsons, the owners, are her parents' friends. And I don't think working for Jigsaw as a buyer is one of "the cool coveted" fashion jobs. Sure, it is a good job, but there are many more companies, like the Haute Couture houses that make Jigsaw seem rather simple. Jigsaw is good, no doubt, but not exactly like being an intern for Catherine Walker, is it?

Last edited:
CasiraghiTrio said:
The Times took the story on no doubt because the News International Ltd owns both The Times and The Sun.
The Times just copied many of the Sun's words verbatim in many spots.
Prince William and Kate Middleton split -News-UK-TimesOnline

Okay, but i think a paper like the Times or a serious news channel will always check the news before they copie a tabloid like the Sun.

milla Ca said:
Okay, but i think a paper like the Times or a serious news channel will always check the news before they copie a tabloid like the Sun.

I am a bit mystified why other Royal correspondents like Ingrid Seward with "their" Royal sources obviously had no clue what was coming. Plus we've heard enough of the Sun's "Royal sources" when they announced an engagement that was not forthcoming. So - I'm not yet convinced it's true. IMHO it would be a wonderful way to give the Sun a run for their public image.... And to get back on Richard Kay on angling this scoop in front of him, asking him to do nice stories about Charles and Camilla and then allowing him to drop a bomb that never was... I'll wait and see - so far I don't think the story is that plausibel.

milla Ca said:
Well the Times was in a bad position. "EVeryone else" was picking up the story: BBC, PA, Reuters....So the Times, being under the same owner's cap as the Sun,would just look foolish if they didn't take it on. Yet if the story turns out untrue, it looks shifty for all these news agencies and "respected" publications that took it on.

I agree that it would have been so hilarious to see Richard Kay fall on his arse with it! Oh well! Not that I have anything personally against him.... it would just be funny!!:ROFLMAO:

I would be glad, if you´re right with your doubts Jo and Avalon!:flowers: ...and also CasiraghiTrio!

I think its very sad. I really thought they made a cute couple

well, I am absolutely shocked. I had always had a premonition that it wouldn't last but the news still took my breath away.

It is sad and worrisome.

I am definitely in the "Theodora camp" but I always liked Kate because she was his first serious girlfriend. it would be so sweet and romantic if he were to marry his first love and all that.

But I worry that William may now embark on a string on fleeting relationships. that is bad for the monarchy and I also think it would be bad for William personally.

I'm also worried because the known is usually preferable to the unknown. Kate was -to me, atleast- quite acceptable as a princess. she was pretty, had great style and seemed to be a genuinely sweet, caring person.

now who knows what sort of girl William will settle on??she might be awful.

but well, he may settle on Theodora. hope springs eternal.

Wait.... Theodora? His cousin? Isn't William's grandfather Theodora's father's second cousin? That would make them fourth cousins and that is still too creepy closely related for my comfort. Fifth cousins, maybe, and beyond that sure, but not fourth..... It's just too much for nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom