The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasedtomeetyou
With all due respect to the Royal Family, but they are all not exactly brilliant intellectuals and the same is obviously true for William. Kate is no bookworm either, but she has certainly done better during university than William and also has a family background that has apparently made her a tough cookie. It appears that over the past four or five years Kate has grown up much more than William who still appears to be a late teen/early twen - while Kate has become a serious young woman who has left boozing and senseless jokes behind her.
They got the same 2:1 degree in History of Art and Geography rescepctively. As to to the boozing she still goes night clubing and besides it unusal for young officers to drink as it also not unusal for young men.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Nobility

I am ask if would be possible even still be concous after drinking that much or drinking 1/4 that bill.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

You all make good points ladies which is why the British forums are just the most interesting place to be.

Now about that wine bill which has been intriguing me. It is quite easy to draft up a large bill when ordering Dom Perignon or pricey wine. Last year four investment professionals for an exclusive London financial house were sacked for ordering $25K in food and wine at lunch just for the four of them and they definitely weren't stumbling out of the restaurant. They just ordered rare and pricey wine which brought up the tab.

I think based on what pleasedtomeetyou is quoting the magmums are the majority of the bill. Jo of Palantine knows more about this part of the business than I do but I'm thinking that the pound is going at $2 now so the 5000 pounds you quoted for the magnums is about 10 thousand dollars. The extra 1000 dollars could be the service charge. I imagine on such a large bill, the bar would not leave it to the young men to decide how much they'd tip the waiters.

A magmum, I believe, is about two bottles of regular champagne or 8-10 glasses. 800 pounds per magnum is a bit pricey to me, that's about 400 pounds a regular bottle (or 800 dollars a bottle-I can't believe it!) and magnums usually give you a nice discount over regular bottles I think so I suspect they must have been ordering a special vintage champagne even if it is Dom Perignon.

At 800 pounds a magnum, it looks like they ordered 6 magnums or 12 bottles which turns out to be 40-60 glasses of champagne. Women can usually drink 3 glasses of champagne, men a bit more. If they had 10 strong lads drinking with them (you mentioned they were buying drinks for others), they could polish off 6 magnums during a night with no trouble. If they're drinking that over a short period of time, they could be stumbling a bit though.

Don't get thrown off by the large bill, I think they overpaid for the champagne, that's why they spent so much. Not that wise, but if you have money and can afford it, it must be nice.

What strikes me is that ordering rare and expensive magnums of Dom Perignon in America would seem very pretentious and not very cool among young men - even those that could afford it. They'd order a rare and lethal tequila instead!
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

Most bars in the US have something like a 200-500% markup on alcohol, so I'm sure the same applies in GB, and I think those prices double if you're in a VIP area.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
What strikes me is that ordering rare and expensive magnums of Dom Perignon in America would seem very pretentious and not very cool among young men - even those that could afford it. They'd order a rare and lethal tequila instead!
I can't imagine any young Australian men in their mid 20s, even those in the highest of high society, drinking expensive champers and cocktails at a bar - unless it's a gay bar. They might order it for their girlfriends, but young men here drink beer, and sometimes spirits. I can certainly imagine a group of 30+ somethings who have acquired a taste for single malt whisky incurring a hefty bill though
Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I shall hasten to add that the 11K figure is USD, not GBP, and that nobody has actually seen the bill.
So really we are talking a bill of £5500, do we know how many people he was with? If it was the normal (6, I believe), that is only £833 each. If you think that a 75cl bottle of Cristal can start around £500 a bottle, they were economical!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

TOFF BREAK FOR WILLS? MORE LIKE BAD TIMING

I HAVE tried really hard to believe that Kate Middleton is a victim of royal snobbery but somehow I just can't manage it.

Mirror.co.uk - News - Top Stories - TOFF BREAK FOR WILLS? MORE LIKE BAD TIMING
Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Commoner

I am not sure if Willian had to pay at all. I read somewhere that when he visits those haunts like the Mahiki or the Bijou he usually drinks on the house because of all the free publicity the bars get with a royal visit. So the figures given are probably just an estimate of what they have drunk, not what they actually paid.

As far as Kate is concerned, I am surprised that quite a lot of people close to William appear to be quite supportive of her. I read in one of the papers that Guy Pelly and Holly Branson are keeping contact with her and one of the tabloids even reports that Zara Philipps is busy organizing a girls' weekend for Kate in Brighton - quite unusal for a cousin of one's ex-lover. We all know how difficult it usually is for mutual friends, let alone relatives after a split-up, and I certainly would not have been surprised if Kate had been dropped like a hot potatoe after the break-up. Obviously this has not happened. Somehow one can get the impression that everybody seems to have difficulties in believing that it is really the end....
Old 04-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon

I HAVE tried really hard to believe that Kate Middleton is a victim of royal snobbery but somehow I just can't manage it.

Thanks for the article. Maybe in a couple years if she isn't married they will get back together who knows. You never can tell these days. Maybe they just needed a break to step back from the press pressure and take stock. Maybe he needs a year to see what it's like with women throwing themselves at him just for cash and tiara? Let's hope he doesn't end up like Prince Albert with two kids not in line to the throne and mothers looking for a steady paycheck for life. JMO
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
I shall hasten to add that the 11K figure is USD, not GBP, and that nobody has actually seen the bill.
An earlier report in this thread claimed the bar tab was £800, which is a long way from US$11,000.
It's more a case of "pluck a number out of the air and publish it as fact".
Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I wouldn't put William in Albert's class quite yet. Albert had a taste for questionable women even when he was much younger.

So far the women that William has gone out with have seemed respectable and discreet.

I doubt if its the bar paying the bill but I imagine some of William's well-heeled friends may be paying the bill. It must be a status symbol to be able to say you took Prince William out for a drink.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I doubt if its the bar paying the bill but I imagine some of William's well-heeled friends may be paying the bill. It must be a status symbol to be able to say you took Prince William out for a drink.
Also, I always think that people take these stories about him in the bars out of context. Like the stories about him being a "cheap skate" in Zermatt with the £4 tip or something. I mean, what if the reporter neglected to mention that the whole royal party split the tip? Then each one, maybe ten people, put up £4 to cover a £300 meal or something. But "William splits tip on expensive tab" doesn't grab attention like "Willy Cheapskate" (get it, really, Willy cheapskate!.
Also maybe it's a security issue for William to use his Black Card, or whatever he has, with his famous name and style on it and his account number; or maybe it's just that he wants to be more discreet and he can always reimburse Guy Pelly or Tom van S or whomever in private.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon

I found this a really insightful article and probably very spot-on about a lot of things. I think they were just too young, and William got scared--and rightfully so, probably. He's never been with anyone else. These days, 25 is SO young to get married. Too young. He obviously still has a lot of changing to do, and so does she, and they might have been miserable. Think about how different both of them must already be from the young college students who met four years ago. It was a mature decision on his part. And her "brave face" of the last several days is a sign that she knows it was the right thing as well. This isn't a tragedy. I don't think class or royal politics had anything to do with it. Just a normal breakup, and hopefully the press and public will move on soon, as Kate and William are already beginning to.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
An earlier report in this thread claimed the bar tab was £800, which is a long way from US$11,000.
It's more a case of "pluck a number out of the air and publish it as fact".
And to think the entire country had a collective episode of angst over the young Prince Charles and one little glass of cherry brandy. Is this what's known as progress?

Honestly, it's getting hard to believe anything you read in the papers these days. It sounds as though they're just making things up because they want to sell their product, and the more tawdry they can portray the breakup to be, the better it'll be for sales. If William really kept Kate stringing along for all those years, knowing that her background was unsuitable, it was a stupid, not to say cruel, waste of time for everyone concerned. But it just beggars belief that after four years of being together, he suddenly couldn't handle the fact that the Middletons come from a different social stratum. If there's any truth in this whatever, which I seriously doubt, I can only imagine how Sophie Wessex must be feeling because her background isn't that different from Kate's.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou
Thanks for the article. Maybe in a couple years if she isn't married they will get back together who knows. You never can tell these days. Maybe they just needed a break to step back from the press pressure and take stock. Maybe he needs a year to see what it's like with women throwing themselves at him just for cash and tiara? Let's hope he doesn't end up like Prince Albert with two kids not in line to the throne and mothers looking for a steady paycheck for life. JMO
Let's hope she is not married and it ends up like Camilla and Charles over again....
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Nobility

I think he needs a woman like the Princess Máxima, a woman with very much character, presence... or the Princess Letizia...
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Talking

William needs a Pearly Princess

A nation mourns, except for tabloid editors with pages to fill. Prince William has broken up with Kate Middleton, his lovely girlfriend. Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone, stop the dog barking with a juicy bone.

FT.com / World - William needs a Pearly Princess
Old 04-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Commoner

pretoriana18: I beg to differ, because i dont't think someone like Maxima would be suitable for William. If Kate wasnt' the one because of her coal miner grandfather, imagine the daughter of a man who was one of the people who were responsible for the death of many argentinians during the dictatorial government.

And about Letizia, if being middle class, with no aristocratic blood is also a problem for Kate, imagine being a divorced woman.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Courtier

I hate to say it but I'd love to see him marry a princess--perhaps some obscure German girl from a formerly-titled family? I just miss the old system of international alliances. I did like Kate, though, and would have been happy to see her stay at his side.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karolandrade
And about Letizia, if being middle class, with no aristocratic blood is also a problem for Kate, imagine being a divorced woman.
Well, this is all true but the SRF got over the divorced factor, if only because Letizia was better than alternatives like Eva Sannum, who knows. As for the BRF, they're steps ahead, really, with Prince Charles and Camilla being able to marry. So I suppose if William wanted to marry a divorced woman, the BRF would deal with that too. The precedent has already been set. Charles, heir to throne, could marry a divorced person, and be divorced himself, so I don't see divorce being a hurdle for future heirs.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, prince william, relationships