The Reported Breakup - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ABBA!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I couldn't thinok of any better group!! Lovely choice!!
Who do you think would sing "All By Myself"?? Kate or William??? :lol:
Oh, and don't forget "Total Eclipse of the Heart".:lol:

I was planning to post into Kate's forums but closed oh well
Humm...guess I'll miss Miss Catherine Middleton forum too.:sad: :sad:

Why should anyone Willian be ashamed for breaking up with Kate?
Mrs. Stuart from Longtown since most the relationship he in University and than he was at Sandhurst from Jan '06 to Dec. '06. It is also possible the most of the 4 years that William deeply cared for her or actually loved her. He is probably not ready for marriage and he probably always wanted to wait until at least 2009 which happens to be when he finishes his military service. William did not really blame the Army he just "said" that wants to focus on his military service which seems to be important esspecially since he is going to an Officer such a short time.
What does everyonr think of what said?

sometimes people just grow apart

Roslyn said:
I can't imagine any young Australian men in their mid 20s, even those in the highest of high society, drinking expensive champers and cocktails at a bar - unless it's a gay bar. They might order it for their girlfriends, but young men here drink beer, and sometimes spirits. I can certainly imagine a group of 30+ somethings who have acquired a taste for single malt whisky incurring a hefty bill though :)

i disagree with your comment and think the gay comment is awfully stereotypical.

i live in melbourne and work in a bank in the city and friday night drinks will often involve expensive champagne for men and women.

not to mention the number of males who will get into the champagne at the horse races!

I found this article pretty interesting read even though it talks about the breakup that is running its course:

Kate and William - what really happened?

LAST November, Woolworths launched its range of Kate and William mugs and plates, a selection to commemorate a happy event that had not yet happened. Coming 25 years after similar items were sold in celebration of his parents' marriage, the crockery must have given Prince William of Wales pause for thought, as it presented his future as already cast. Suddenly, bookies stopped taking bets on when - not if - he would get engaged, his girlfriend began attracting as much paparazzi attention as he, commentary began on her clothes and appearance and the casting of Kate as the new People's Princess began in earnest.

Kate and William - what really happened? - Irish Independent

I'm realy sad for William and Kate break-up.the reason for that remains unknown except for them.
But,most of our guess here is William dumped Kate.I don't know why not we think that Kate dumped him,that seems to me more logical.She is simply getting tired of waiting him and decided to have her own life.

Amelie said:
i disagree with your comment and think the gay comment is awfully stereotypical.

It has been my experience that gay guys are more likely to drink cocktails or bubbly or wine in a bar than other Aussie men, who tend to stick to beer or spirits. I thought the beer-drinking comment was more likely to be seen as stereotypical :)

Amelie said:
i live in melbourne and work in a bank in the city and friday night drinks will often involve expensive champagne for men and women.

Our different experiences might be a Melbourne -v- Sydney thing, or age-related.

not to mention the number of males who will get into the champagne at the horse races!
Ah! Horse races. Yes, there is a fair bit of bubbly beverage quaffed at the races.

I don't agree with Mrs Stuart. I can't criticise William merely for the fact he called it off.

Couples often grow apart, through the fault of neither, and Kate and William have been under more pressure than most young couples.

William and Kate's paths crossed at a certain stage in their lives, and they were good friends. I think they probably loved each other, and maybe still do.

While they were at university, William was essentially able to live a "normal" life as a student, without press interference and without the need to perform public duties.

Many, probably most, young people fresh out of university and embarking on their careers and other aspects of their adult lives don't know precisely what the future holds, and when they are a couple they are both in the same situation and can agree to chance the unknown future together. But this mutual uncertainty doesn't apply in the case of William and Kate. Since leaving university, their situations have changed and their paths have diverged. William knows exactly what his future holds; he is travelling off on a set course that involves a lot of stages and a lot of learning and it's probably all a bit daunting for him right now. I imagine that for him, at the moment, marriage is not looming large in his mind. He has so much more to learn and do in the next few years that I can understand him not giving marriage high priority.

Kate, OTOH, was in a holding pattern. The fact she was William's girlfriend and, as such, a candidate to be his wife, would have been something she would have taken into account every day in every decision she made about her life. Her decisions about what she wore and what she said and what job she took would have been influenced by considerations of what a future Princess/Queen should wear/say/do. For the job of future Princess/Queen, she doesn't really need any more training other than the sort of protocol and grooming and which-knife-to-use and how-to-get-out-of-a-car training that can be done with private coaching at home. It would be easier for Kate for a number of reasons if she were to become engaged now.

So, on the assumption that Kate wants to marry him, and that he is not ready to marry, both of them are in a bit of a bind. He might think she is the one for him, but he is under enormous pressure from the reality of his future and the intrusive and incessant interest of the press, and I wouldn't be surprised if the various pressures on him proved intolerable and something had to go.

I cannot understate the significance of the role of the press in the pressure on the couple. The pests that hounded his mother are now hounding William and Kate, and I doubt anyone gets completely used to the degree of press interest William has to endure, and which Kate did because of her relationship with him. Even if Kate didn't give him an ultimatum, knowing she was ready and willing to be his wife would have added to the pressure on William. I can understand him wanting to put an end to the relationship, no matter how fond he is of Kate.

I think they have been driven apart, mainly by the pressure from the press.
Given a breather, they might get back together, but they both need to be left alone.

I think William needs to be left alone anyway, because even if it is over for him and Kate, no other girl will want to enter into a relationship with him knowing she will have to put up with from the press.

qui mal y pense said:
....I keep wondering at the media who print these stories about Kate not being blue blooded enough. Who exactly are these people if not regular blokes themselves.... ...These stories are just plain insulting to the average Joe or Jane and can only serve to do great damage to the RF in the long run.
They are the wannabees, they wouldn't know class or breeding if it jumped up and bit them! :lol: I wonder if their agenda is to cause damage to the monarchy!

Roslyn said:
gay guys are more likely to drink cocktails or bubbly or wine in a bar
Are you really saying that my husband and all our male friends who prefer wine over beer are gay? :lol:

Last edited:
Roslyn is referring to some Sydney drinking habits. I'm quite sure she is not casting aspersions on Mr Skydragon. :)

Warren said:
Roslyn is referring to some Sydney drinking habits. I'm quite sure she is not casting aspersions on Mr Skydragon. :)
I am so relieved! :ROFLMAO:

Skydragon said:
They are the wannabees, they wouldn't know class or breeding if it jumped up and bit them! :lol: I wonder if their agenda is to cause damage to the monarchy!

I've thought that myself. Who in their right mind would have thought that leaking a rumour that Kate wasn't up to snuff because her mother asked to go to the toilet would make Kate look bad?

It beggars belief.

On the other hand, I wondered if William didn't want some of the 'William is a cad' stories that came out of this. The one good thing that has come of this breakup is that we're not hearing stories about how William is going to be the saviour of the monarchy and carry on the good work of his dear departed mother Diana so that he should inherit the throne instead of Charles.

That result alone could make the negative press worthwhile for both William and Charles although its a shame that Kate had to be dragged into it.

Last edited:
ysbel said:
I've thought that myself. Who in their right mind would have thought that leaking a rumour that Kate wasn't up to snuff because her mother asked to go to the toilet would make Kate look bad?
It also appears that William may have lost some of his supporters who rather have seen him as the next King instead of Charles. This breakup has caused a lot of second thoughts about William and may have unleased a little bit of negative press because of it. Kate seems to have escaped the negative press, except for those wannabes who have criticized her upbringing and her mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't hear about the breakup until a few days ago (unbelievable, huh?).

Anyway, I think Kate is secretly and gleefully relieved. She can look forward to a life as something other than a caged bird...no matter how lovely and gilded a cage it would have been.

Anyone think either Wills or Kate gave the other an ultimatum? I don't buy this "royal" interference stuff. Seems to me that Granny approved of Kate from everything I've ever read or heard.

ysbel said:

It beggars belief.
Indeed, it is absurd to think that a relationship of what, three? years (maybe nearly four?) no matter, a relationship of so long and lasting a nature cannot be overturned by one trivial "faux pas", regardless of social class or anything.
On the other hand, I wondered if William didn't want some of the 'William is a cad' stories that came out of this. The one good thing that has come of this breakup is that we're not hearing stories about how William is going to be the saviour of the monarchy and carry on the good work of his dear departed mother Diana so that he should inherit the throne instead of Charles.

That result alone could make the negative press worthwhile for both William and Charles although its a shame that Kate had to be dragged into it.
I didn't realize any press were still portraying Prince William as "saviour" and saying the succession should skip his father, but I am relieved to learn that this kind of talk is not prevalent. I never saw Prince William as any such thing, a "saviour" no, and I certainly don't expect that he will copy his mother's work in any obviously or significant way. He strikes me as a man who wants to find his own passions and areas, quite apart from his parents.
I think he admires both of his parents' work but he never struck me as inclined to be any sort of carbon copy Prince of Hearts or Green Prince II or something! :lol: Prince William has far too much strong will and independance for that. I will never forget his own words on the occasion of his 21st birthday, when he admitted that he can be stubborn about everything. I do not envy him at all because he has two very high-achieving parents, incredible shoes to fill, great expectations on him. How can we not expect great things from the sons of those two, so successful and brilliant in their distinct ways?

Warren said:

You are quite right, on both counts. :flowers:

Lady Bluffton said:
I didn't hear about the breakup until a few days ago (unbelievable, huh?).

Anyway, I think Kate is secretly and gleefully relieved. She can look forward to a life as something other than a caged bird...no matter how lovely and gilded a cage it would have been.

Anyone think either Wills or Kate gave the other an ultimatum? I don't buy this "royal" interference stuff. Seems to me that Granny approved of Kate from everything I've ever read or heard.

Speaking as a 24, soon-to-be 25 year old woman, if I had been with a guy as long as Kate had been with William and the subject of marriage had not been discussed if not seriously, but at least with earnest, I would have said something. Not an ultimatum, but something along the lines of, "I would like to get married one day, and since you have not said anything about our future as a couple, I would like to know where you think we stand right now." Something like that doesn't put pressure on the guy to make up his mind and propose on the spot, but it does clue him in that it's something I have had on my mind.

I am sure seeing not only his father's first marriage fail, but also his aunt and his uncle go down that road too, he might be gun-shy about it and who could blame him? That said, if he in any way led Kate to believe that he would marry her one day and then backed out of that for whatever reason, I think that's really, really low and he should be ashamed. Now, we don't know why they broke and up and it's really none of our business, but I would venture a guess that the subject of marriage had a lot to do with it.

As for Kate being relieved, the gilt wears off the crown rather quickly. I'm sure deep down inside in some part of her, the idea of being Queen of England one day was something she couldn't ignore. There's a lot that goes with marrying the heir to the throne and while in the beginning, being with William was fun and exciting and adventureous, she soon found out that it was hard, difficult and lonely. She knew it going in, but that doesn't always prepare you mentally for when it finally hits you.

Sister Morphine said:
Speaking as a 24, soon-to-be 25 year old woman, if I had been with a guy as long as Kate had been with William and the subject of marriage had not been discussed if not seriously, but at least with earnest, I would have said something. Not an ultimatum, but something along the lines of, "I would like to get married one day, and since you have not said anything about our future as a couple, I would like to know where you think we stand right now."

That said, if he in any way led Kate to believe that he would marry her one day and then backed out of that for whatever reason, I think that's really, really low and he should be ashamed.

Good point. I read an article which suggested the Prince William owed something to Kate because they dated for so long. But I disagree. If like you said Prince William and Kate seriously discussed marriage and then he broke up with her, then what he did wasn't right. However, just because they went out for a long time doesn't mean anything. As hard as it would be, someone who is dating such a high profile figure needs to realize that sacrificing themselves for another person rarely ends well. That said, we will obviosuly never know what really happened and it really isn't anybody elses business.

theprincess said:
Good point. I read an article which suggested the Prince William owed something to Kate because they dated for so long. But I disagree. If like you said Prince William and Kate seriously discussed marriage and then he broke up with her, then what he did wasn't right. However, just because they went out for a long time doesn't mean anything. As hard as it would be, someone who is dating such a high profile figure needs to realize that sacrificing themselves for another person rarely ends well. That said, we will obviosuly never know what really happened and it really isn't anybody elses business.

I agree about the sacrificing part. Kate obviously gave up quite a bit of her privacy and for someone who was not immersed in that kind of life from the start, it can be difficult to adjust, even for the most well-adjusted person. That said, all relationships require sacrifice in one form or another. She was obviously willing to make the sacrifice or else the relationship either would never have started or ended long before it did. My gut tells me that he was behind the break-up, not her. Either he wasn't 100% clear about his plans and ideas about marriage or there was something else going on that we are not privy to. I think Kate is the kind of person who would fight to keep him, if it was something minor or insignificant. For them to have split, especially after it appeared she was making ins with the family, it had to have been big.

Joumana, since that isn't an English-language article, please could you give us an English summary of what it's saying?

Sister Morphine said:
That said, if he in any way led Kate to believe that he would marry her one day and then backed out of that for whatever reason, I think that's really, really low and he should be ashamed.

I think what may be closer to the truth was that everybody around Kate, her family, the Royal Family, the press, her friends, everybody but William was saying that she was the perfect bride for him, and on the other hand, William was saying he didn't want to get married until he was 30. It hardly mattered if she was the perfect bride if he wasn't ready to get married.

I don't know if he exactly lied to her but I imagine he didn't spend too much time and energy reminding her that he wasn't ready to get married when all this marriage talk was going around.

If so, he wouldn't be the first guy to avoid a difficult conversation so he could keep seeing his girl.

I must say that on the pictures we have seen of Kate since the break-up, she looks more beautiful than before. Sleek, smiling, with outfits that fits her age, looking rather relaxed.

ysbel said:
I think what may be closer to the truth was that everybody around Kate, her family, the Royal Family, the press, her friends, everybody but William was saying that she was the perfect bride for him, and on the other hand, William was saying he didn't want to get married until he was 30. It hardly mattered if she was the perfect bride if he wasn't ready to get married.

Exactly, Prince William is only 25 and has only really had 1 serious girlfriend. So it is not suprising that he has expressed his desire to wait until he is a bit older to marry, especially given his position. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't all the current Crown Princes get married in their mid-30s (Frederick, Fillipe, Willem-Alexander ...). It seems that there is a trend of princes, just like most people, waiting until they are older to marry.

I know a lot the media had speculated pre-breakup that P. Willam and Kate would marry by the end of next year (2008), but that was mostly likely a just way for them to sell more newspapers. But now looking back and even a bit at the time, it seemed very unlikely that Prince William would choose to marry so young and before he has started to take on full-time royal duties. Sadly, I do think Kate would have been a good member of the royal family, but the problem is that she meet William way too young. I can't help but wonder if had they met and started dating when they were both in their late 20s or early 30s, if things would have been different. IMHO, the timing was off more than anything. Not trying to start a debate about, 'what ifs' here. But I think the issue of timing could have been a factor in the breakup.

KATE: I BLAME CHARLES

KATE Middleton blames Prince Charles for her split with William.
Upset Kate, 25, blurted out to workmates days after the dramatic end of her four-year affair: "It's because of his daddy."​

Colleague Philip Higgs probably received payment for this 'exclusive', although I doubt Catherine would have said such a thing. Still Master Higgs got the 5 minutes of fame he craved. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
KATE: I BLAME CHARLES
IF it is true, and William sought his father's advice, and Charles gave the advice described, while saying he would not pressure William into doing anything he didn't want to do, it seems like very sound and considerate advice to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom