The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Nobility

I know Clarence house is not going to give out statements about every rumour but if this was unture and Kate and William had not split I think they may have spoken out.

It is the headline on every news which I find a very sad thing, with everything going on in the World a relationship breaking up is hardly headline worthy!

Old 04-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

like most people I was so suprised by this. A friend of mine called me in an shocked voice to tell me there was "big news about the windsors" so many things crossed my mind...death, divorce, alien abduction...but kate and wiliam breaking up didnt even come close.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Gentry

As sad as I feel for them personally - ending a long relationship is never easy, and certainly more difficult when the entire world is watching and judging and wagging their fingers - I think its very sensible of them.

These are two intelligent young people of the 21st century. To reasonably expect them to have met their life match at the age of approximately 19 or 20 is unreasonable. There is so much growth and maturity that comes as we go through our 20's and get jobs, leave home, and all those things, that most people change. Granted, William is not your average young man, but Kate is remarkably average (I mean that in a good way!) To expect her to settle for this life of service when she's been raised as a commoner and not at least as part of the aristocracy is asking quite a lot. To expect her to do so at such a young age is cruel.

Similarly, though William is anything but "average", he's going to be doing a lot of changing himself as he goes through his military service. He's going to grow up and hopefully mature.

They're far too young to be making a commitment of this magnitude. Its gone on too long as it is, unfortunately. Kate is now in a very difficult situation - who on earth wants to be the rebound guy after she's dated the world's most eligible bachelor?? Anyone who shows interest at this point is likely to be doing so for the wrong reasons.

If they're really meant for each other they will be able to keep in touch over the next few years with far less pressure now that their split is known, and perhaps in time they will find their way back to one another as older and wiser adults. But to make a lifetime commitment at this point without having ever been in another serious relationship would be a huge mistake, and I think they're smart enough to realize that.

My hat is off to them, this is a very wise decision and I wish them both well.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

palace can't confirm this because are psrt of william's pivate life, so we can know if this is truo or not, may be we have to wait
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 04-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
As romantic as many people seem to be, the fact is marrying a commoner has many potential pitfalls for William. He is a future King with a lifetime of duty ahead of him. His wife will have to bear heirs, carry out a heavy commitment of public duties and royal obligations, and be comfortable with not having her husband around much. A marriage to someone in William's position is essentially a sacrifice for the country.

Kate was an independent, well-educated woman with an active career. She is not a member of the aristocracy and does not understand the norms and unspoken ways of the monarchy. She is not accustomed to doing her duty without question. These are all qualities that are necessary to be a successful consort.

Bloodlines do matter when marrying a future King. No matter how much people say he can marry a commoner, the royal line must continue.
ok i can understand your point of view and that she might not be up to the job of consort. but saying that "she wasn't appropriate to bear heirs" is the part i disagree with. remember, if they did/do marry, the heirs she bears would also be williams heirs and have very long and distinguished history from which to learn the things that catherine didn't have the benefit of knowing from birth. i'm not saying you're wrong and i hope i don't start a big uproar with this.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Exactly. The Queen and Prince Philip are cousins. So are Charles and Camilla. So are alot of European Royals. It's not gross, it's perfectly normal and natural and we'll be better for it.
Ever heard of genetic diseases?

If it has to be a cousin, please let it be a distant one!

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 04-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

This thread is about the reported breakup of William and Kate - not the advantages/disadvantages of marrying cousins.

Since Kate and William are not cousins, the topic is irrelevant to the thread anyway.

All future posts on the topic will be either deleted or moved to the appropriate thread.

ysbel
British forums moderator
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

you know, I still take the whole breakup story with a grain of salt - after all, the two people in it haven't confirmed it, and we havent' seen proof points of any sort!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Nobility

I think as I already have said, we still have to wait and see how it really is, and I don´t belive for a second that the clarence house will say anything at all.

I have a feeling that this is thrue but wise enought of earlier stories in all royal houses I wait to comment on it more definitely until we know more than that it was "according to an article in the sun".
Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder how Woolworth's executives are feeling. They must have lost a lot of money over those William and Kate wedding souvenirs.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:32 PM

Not a bit of it pollyemma. They'll be on Ebay tonight.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Gentry

hmm..I'm not fully convinced. It's probably a decoy so the paps stop harassing Kate in her everyday life and William when he's out at the pub. Although this news adds more attn to them. Only time will tell I guess
Old 04-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone think that they are going to get back together in the future? I have seen people broken with their boyfriend or girlfriend, and x number of years later, they are back together and get married. Do you think it will happen to Will and Kate?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Nobility

I believe it given the statement from Kate's lawyers. It's really sad. I hope she keeps her dignity and doesn't write a "tell all" or anything though I am dying of curiosity. Best of luck to both of them, especially her.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I just watched a local (national) news programme here in Australia and as the show was finishing, they spoke about the breakup.

One of the presenters made mention about whether Kate would be the next "Diana" or the next "Camilla"......which to be honest, I found it a little insulting given the insinuation that either William's first marriage would end in ruin, or that Kate would be a possible 'third' party at some stage.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I just watched a local (national) news programme here in Australia and as the show was finishing, they spoke about the breakup.

One of the presenters made mention about whether Kate would be the next "Diana" or the next "Camilla"...
And what would happen to all those tea towels and plate sets and Kate should better get some of those. Do you think its true that William perfers a girl like Chelsea: apprantly shes "intelligent and fun".
Old 04-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Your guess is as good as mine, flctylu
Old 04-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Commoner

I think this whole breakup story is a load of bunk, everyone is just jumping on a rumor some rag printed.

Speaking of bunk, I think it's an insult to imply that she wasn't "fit" to be a queen, or to "bear heirs". I can think of a LOT of worse people William could have chosen/will choose to wed, so I think that's unfair to say about her.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Courtier

I don't believe that they broke up; just the opposite! They probably will be getting married!!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Frankly, I can. Kate seemed a nice enough girl, but to me, she never seemed the love of his life for some reason. Never liked her that much as princess material either.

I always thoughts William's former flame Jessica Craig was much more interesting, much more suitable. I hope he finds another Jessica, a woman of the world, rather than some boring suburban girl with not a real interest (seemingly, that is) in the world.

Who is Jessica Craig and how long ago was this??

Honestly when Wills said he didn't want to think about marriage until he was at least 28 I had a feeling they wouldn't last.
But not because I didn't think she was P. material- I think she handled herself remarkably well as far as the media's concerned- it's just bad timing. Maybe if they had met a few years later down the road.

Tags
kate middleton, prince william, relationships