The Reported Breakup - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Fake-Out

scooter said:
Maybe they are doing what JFK jr and Caroline Bessett did? Staging a breakup for the benefit of the press to throw them off the scent?

My thoughts exactly! Certainly Wills has seen the misery of his father after not marrying Camilla back in the 70's when he should have ... in fact, his "bad boy" behavior of late -- being seen out drinking w/his buddies and various women -- is just tooooo out of character for my tastes.

I think "we've" been set-up royally!

S

I am not 100% convinced that this 'break-up' is permanent but more a chance to see if they really do want to be together.

The Express newspaper (admittedly not the most reliable) has the following article

Daily Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: Princes in Crisis

in which it says: "But close friends of the couple say they haven’t fallen out irrevocably and could easily rekindle their romance once all the fuss has died down.

Indeed, they still intend to enjoy a break together at William’s tiny cottage at Balmoral in August, during his long break from Sandhurst."

(I said that it wasn't the most reliable as William is no longer at Sandhurst - maybe they simply misunderstood what sort of training William is currently undergoing and assumed that as it was military training it would be a Sandhurst as opposed to Bovington).

Further down the article is the following section:

"A friend yesterday said: "William and Kate are also still looking at going to the Caribbean for a break, so this is by no means the end of everything."

The article has some interesting views about the cause of the split - as well as further reports about concerns about Harry going to Iraq with the suggestion that he mightn't actually go.

So it was or could be a PR plan arrangement by the RH?
Or it's just repeat from the history (Ch&C)?

Last edited:
Not An Amicable Split

The story from official sources here is that William dumped Kate and it was not an amicable breakup. William told the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and Charles over Easter that he wanted to end the relationship and he told Kate shortly afterwards. Kate according to close friends is devastated and would have married him tomorrow if he had asked. It has also been stated that William was angry about Kate attending the Cheltenham Race Meeting and turning up in the Royal box with Prince Charles when William was not able to attend and told friends he thought Kate was being presumptuous and overstepping the mark as she was not a member of the royal family. In the next 5 years I believe we will see Harry happily married, William still waiting rather aimlessly like the Duke of Windsor and indeed Prince Albert of Monaco. One of William’s friends said today - they could get back together again in a few years and anything would be possible then, that is if Kate has not married someone else and if William wanted to pursue the relationship again with a fresh start when he is older and more mature. Arthur Edwards said on Channel 4 - yes, William will meet another girl but he will never meet another girl like Kate and will come to regret his decision. Whatever the future holds if William and Kate want to get back together again or move on with new partners the next 5 years will reveal all.

angieuk said:
It has also been stated that William was angry about Kate attending the Cheltenham Race Meeting and turning up in the Royal box with Prince Charles when William was not able to attend and told friends he thought Kate was being presumptuous and overstepping the mark as she was not a member of the royal family.

I really doubt this. She was in the royal box at the invitation of Prince Charles, and William would have been aware she was attending before the actual event-so there was no "presumption" either intended, accidental, or perceived.

angieuk said:
The story from official sources here is that William dumped Kate and it was not an amicable breakup. William told the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and Charles over Easter that he wanted to end the relationship and he told Kate shortly afterwards. Kate according to close friends is devastated and would have married him tomorrow if he had asked. It has also been stated that William was angry about Kate attending the Cheltenham Race Meeting and turning up in the Royal box with Prince Charles when William was not able to attend and told friends he thought Kate was being presumptuous and overstepping the mark as she was not a member of the royal family. In the next 5 years I believe we will see Harry happily married, William still waiting rather aimlessly like the Duke of Windsor and indeed Prince Albert of Monaco. One of William’s friends said today - they could get back together again in a few years and anything would be possible then, that is if Kate has not married someone else and if William wanted to pursue the relationship again with a fresh start when he is older and more mature. Arthur Edwards said on Channel 4 - yes, William will meet another girl but he will never meet another girl like Kate and will come to regret his decision. Whatever the future holds if William and Kate want to get back together again or move on with new partners the next 5 years will reveal all.

Might I ask who these Official sources are? The only official sources I would consider reliable is someone from the palace, clarence house, or on e of the two in the relationship.

angieuk said:
It has also been stated that William was angry about Kate attending the Cheltenham Race Meeting and turning up in the Royal box with Prince Charles when William was not able to attend and told friends he thought Kate was being presumptuous and overstepping the mark as she was not a member of the royal family.

Charles wasn't at the Cheltenham Race Meeting this year, so how could Kate turn up in the Royal Box with him? Last year Kate was invited to the Royal Box and Charles and Camilla were there, was William supposed to be seething over this for a year?

angieuk said:
The story from official sources here is that William dumped Kate and it was not an amicable breakup. William told the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and Charles over Easter that he wanted to end the relationship and he told Kate shortly afterwards. Kate according to close friends is devastated and would have married him tomorrow if he had asked. It has also been stated that William was angry about Kate attending the Cheltenham Race Meeting and turning up in the Royal box with Prince Charles when William was not able to attend and told friends he thought Kate was being presumptuous and overstepping the mark as she was not a member of the royal family.

If the last sentence is true, we see a William who did not treat Catherine like a girlfriend and future wife but like a mistress. I read a very good book about the life of Coco Chanel (a well-researched biography by Edmonde Charles-Roux) in which the relationship is described between Chanel and an English duke. Disgusting in modern terms. While the duke helped Chanel etsablishing her business he never allowed her to overstep the mark between member of society and lowly born lover - often very humiliating for Chanel.

If William thinks in similar terms and Catherine realises that, he will never have another chance with her. Because he has no friendship to offer - which is what connected Charles and Camilla over the years.

Well, like I said, I do not believe this to be from any official source, just a made up "source". So in my opinion it's just a load of bunk.

It's too bad that they did not make it. We will probably never really know what happened, but if something is not right, it's better they found out now. She's Wills first serious relationship, right?

Well I think its fair to say that SOMETHING happened although its hard to tell exactly what.

Whatever happened, I'm somewhat disappointed in how its unfolding. If they wanted a breakup, then they could have been more discreet about it and given themselves a lot more dignity than they're getting now.

They had an excellent chance to just wait until Wills got deployed and then Kate could have gone on with her new life.

If they're not breaking up, they're doing little to dispel the rumours that they are.

If they're doing this to get the press off of Kate's back, it looks like a trick that could backfire.

No, I am not impressed with how this is being handled.

I agree ysbel and with apparent and so called 'friends' coming out of the woodwork to add their bit of spice and the Mirror's attack on Catherines mother, any hopes of continuing as friends will soon be out of the window! :rolleyes:

Can I ask you, why you have so much interest in this break up? Did you really think these two 24-year old were gonna commit for life? And wasn't Kate William's very first girlfriend? Anyways, obvioustly, we would all like to know what happened, but we really can't except for every girlfriend Wills has, to be the next queen of England. Maybe THAT was what went wrong. She just wasn't ready for all that, maybe it was too much for her and Wills the way the public and the press handled this relationship. Why does there always have to be engagement, marriage and childrens as ulterior motives? Why can't two, certaintly naive, young people, who don't have a clue of what they want yet, just enjoy each other?! Isn't life complicated and decisive enough already, especially for Prince William.

dazzling said:
when he thinks he is ready to get married & when he finds the right person than he will pop the question. Th more pressure he is under, the chances are that he will not make the right choice. Cant they leave him alone.

I agree completely.

Can't tell you how glad I am that I'm not in the public eye.

Personally I am not surprised by the whole breakup but I wouldn't be surprised if they got back together. I am hedging my bets...but you never know.

They were definitely in an awkward position. William is the future king of England, and as many have pointed out....Britian has a right to know its future queen. Does that entail the harassment that Catherine has had to deal with the last couple of months...not it doesn't. But you get the good with the bad. She did, however, handle herself FABULOUSLY IMO..she might have been frustrated (and not smiling) but she was never rude, obnoxious or just plain nasty. The next girlfriend, if there is one, has a lot to live up to in that respect.

On the other hand, after five years....you have to do something. Catherine was in an odd position (not royal and not really a commoner). She could have the benefits of dating a royal (access to the A list, great vacations, etc.) but she was and wasn't entitled to her privacy. If some of the papers are correct, and she did ask where this was going....I don't blame her. You can't put your life on hold (whether asked or not) and not know where you were going. But I don't blame William, if he isn't ready to get married he is married..and I am sure it will work out in the end. If Catherine is the one for him, maybe they date a few people in the interim and when they are ready (emotionally) to make the next move they will. If not, they will both find partners that will suit them in life.

I, for one, find they conversations that Charles, the Queen and the Duke (according to some papers) had with William to be ust foolish nonsense. Since, Phillip had a similiar talk with Charles regarding Diana and we know how that turned out...I can't imagine Charles would have the same conversation with William. Likewise, I can't imagine the Queen would say to William, we don't want another Diana. She might not have liked Diana but she respects her as Williiam's mother. And from what I gather from her personality (cause I don't know her personally) she would never be so rude.

I also find the attacks on Catherine and her parents to be just crappy IMO. They appear to be hard working and from all acounts nice! Its snobbery at its worst. Just like you can't help if you are born into a wealthy family, you can't help if you are born into a poor or middle class one.
If William and Catherine are meant to be together it will happen, if not, when William does get married (as I have said before) she will listed as a former girlfriend of Prince William and we will be scratching our heads going....oh...yeah! I forgot about her! Either way I wish them both the best of luck.

Well, rag or not, the sun is not going to attack the royal family, so they go for the other half of the couple, and her family. Rag or not, they simply would not go after the royal family, because they would not only face losing their readership, but also likely face a libel trial of grand proportions. So I believe little of both that paper and the daily sun, although I believe that there is some truth in the break up.

For the rest, if they are truly friends, and have that friendship backing their relationship, then they will not let the tabloids get in the way of a friendship, or a relationship. William is used to it, and Kate will have at least become accustomed to it, and know that William and his family had nothing to do with the nasty things that they are printing. She seems like a level headed girl. i feel for her though. Break ups are hard enough, without everyone knowing your business.

it's a real shame, kate would have been a wonderful princess of wales.

i still keep my hopes that they may come back together later.

At first, India Knight's piece in the Times bothered me at some points, but then I contemplated it further, and now I feel that age 24 truly is "ludicrously young" to be engaged/married for anyone. I think some people are lucky in finding their "soulmates"/life partners/whatever early on (my best friend met her life match at age 15!) but it is extremely rare and I am personally relieved that I did not marry my boyfriend at age 24. He was a nice man but looking back, we were both ghastly immature! :lol: As I indicated before, I think it is better for Prince William to remain single forever than to marry with only a half-sense of comfort about it. It must be All or Nothing. It is not worth it to be just ok.
If the tabloids bear any truth in their suggestions, it seems that all the women Prince William has wanted passionately do not want him, either because they don't want the Princess Package or because they aren't attracted to him or something. Is it like Woody Allen in Annie Hall: I would never want to belong to a club that would have someone like me for a member?
:sad:

I have to disagree with Ysbel, about how this is being handled, if they really did break up. William and Kate haven't said or done anything publically regarding a breakup to create all this media coverage; everything we know seems to be from second hand sources. They themselves have been very discreet about the whole thing which I think is appropriate. Its not as if an official statement needs to be made seeing as how they weren't engaged or married. I think no matter how they handled it, they reaction would be like this, because its Prince William, and its impossible for him to do anything without the public finding out. And why should he wait a few months to do this if he is unhappy with the relationsip now? If this situation seems a little out of hand right now, I blame their so called friends or whoever these people are leaking information to the newspapers.
But if this is some sort of attempt by Wills and Kate to throw us all off, having their friends feed this info to the press, then yes, I totally agree with you, thats disgusting and will probably back fire.

Initially I wasn't convinced and I'm still a little suspicious. But what bothers me is this whole debate that he was too young to marry and settle down. Being almost 25 is not too young to know what you are looking for in a partner and thus to ultimately seek her/him. But what's interesting is that people refuse to put an age on love (age difference, for example) but they want to set limitations on when to marry? In my opinion, there is no positive correlation between how old you marry with the success of the marriage. You can be 20 or 40 when you marry and still the marriage can be doomed. I think it's preposterous to imply that either Kate or William is too young to marry. Additionally I find it quite 'amusing' that after such sense and maturity portrayed by P William, all of a sudden he feels the need to behave like a wild teenager. Don't get me wrong, going to the pubs is not wild at all, but to say that you cannot go out because you already have a significant other and you feel trapped is quite ludicrous. Are we forgetting that these people have been in a relationship for over 4yrs? I think we could fairly assume that by now they are comfortable around each other, and hence will speak when something is bothering them. Whether the breakup is true or not, I think we should all look at the supposed 'reasons' with a chunk of skepticism.

I'm sad for the news... I thinking was a beautiful couple and was more things in common... I saw Kate how a Princess of Wales and a future Queen, when Prince William obtain the throne.

Well, I hope everything was ok and I wait for the reconciliation... or you think is a publicity to their continue their relationship without the media pretion??

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that was an interesting article that Milla Ca pointed out. While some of the article is a rehash..it does raise a good point that has been discussed here many times. Seeing what Diana and Camilla went thru dating Charles....its going to take a strong woman to deal with the media while dating William. That's what I liked about Catherine...she showed grace under pressure. I wouldn't want to be the follow up girlfriend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hold it as a lesson learned.

Maybe Prince William and Miss Middleton used their "friends" to dangle bait for Duncan, only to let Duncan fall on his face at a pre-determined time in the future when Buckingham Palace announces the engagement.

Or maybe it's a genuine story.

Either way, we can learn a lesson here.

Woolworths can invest whatever they want to in their wedding souvenirs everytime Prince William seems to have a serious girlfriend. But Prince William is master of his own life and won't let the media hijack him into marriage like they hijacked Prince Charles into taking a trophy bride. His mother was convinced to stay on board because her face was already on the tea towels, but Lady Diana was caught in the situation when there was no Ebay or a concept of just recycling the darn tea towels! :lol:

The discussion of what happened to Charles' and Amanda Knatchbull's relationship in the 70s was beginning to take over this thread which is supposed to be about Wills and Kate.

Details about Charles' and Amanda's relationship is better handled in another thread.

Thanks for understanding.

ysbel
British forums moderator

talula said:
Initially I wasn't convinced and I'm still a little suspicious. But what bothers me is this whole debate that he was too young to marry and settle down. Being almost 25 is not too young to know what you are looking for in a partner and thus to ultimately seek her/him. But what's interesting is that people refuse to put an age on love (age difference, for example) but they want to set limitations on when to marry? In my opinion, there is no positive correlation between how old you marry with the success of the marriage. You can be 20 or 40 when you marry and still the marriage can be doomed. I think it's preposterous to imply that either Kate or William is too young to marry.

In fact, everybody changes so much in their twenties and even their thirties that it's likely they won't get on well with a husband or wife they choose when they're very young. Of course it might work - but chances are the relationshi will fail if/when they change too much.
So it's wise to wait for a while - which Kate and William may have done.

Smilla said:
In fact, everybody changes so much in their twenties and even their thirties that it's likely they won't get on well with a husband or wife they choose when they're very young. Of course it might work - but chances are the relationshi will fail if/when they change too much.
So it's wise to wait for a while - which Kate and William may have done.

Different strokesw for different folks. As many marriages made in the 20's last as marriages made in th 30's, 40's, etc. That is a rather broad statement, and an untrue one I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom