The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Courtier

I hope itīs no fake - and they announce the engagement the day after tomorrow
William is IMO much too young to marry. Itīs early enough when he marries around his thirties. And keep just one and the same girlfriend for about eight or ten years is IMO very dangerous. I made the experience that relations (same with Vicky and Daniel in Sweden!) that lasted very long before the engagement was announced almost always end in divorce.
William has got enough time left to find another girlfriend (or more than one...) until he decides to marry at last.
Forget all the speculations about Madeleine (they never see each other) or even Theodora (The former Greek king is much too contested to ever give him the opportunity again to appear in the limelight f.i. as father-in-law of the future British king).
I think William will one day marry a nice common British girl similar to Kate and thatīs it. So did his father, aunt and uncles.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Serene Highness

Sorry to hear the news but maybe they both just need a break from all this. Having your engagement announced on a daily basis when you haven't reached that point would push the matter one way or the other eventually and now they hit that point. He would look like a cad if he kept her hanging on for several more years and then she would look like a mistress and thus not suitable to be Queen. That part is a no win situation. Ordinary people could have continued the relationship but with the scrutiny they were under he had to make a decision and this is probably best for both. They could in a year or two get back together. I just hope it doesn't end up like another Camilla situation down the road where the girl gets married and then William realizes his mistake. Let's hope for the best for both of them. I think they have had cooling off periods before.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Aristocracy

You are right there hibou.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Commoner

Report: Prince William Single Again

Just found this news on Yahoo and since I didn't see it posted here I thought it might be of interest...

Yahoo! Top Stories - Report: Prince William Single Again
Old 04-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneca
Just found this news on Yahoo and since I didn't see it posted here I thought it might be of interest...

Yahoo! Top Stories - Report: Prince William Single Again
I saw the same story on the frontage of one of the German glossies. Let's see if it's just a rumour...
Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Aristocracy

I saw the news five minutes ago on Yahoo and my first reaction was "NOOOOOOOO", without even realizing I was reacting! This is such a shock. I, too, was convinced that they could weather the separation and find a way to stay together, but if it's not meant to be, it won't be. I do hope they find their way back to each other again. I can't really picture him with anyone else- they seemed like a good match in many ways.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not a surprise. He is too young to make such a huge commitment and she really was not appropriate to bear heirs and become a future Queen.

He's too young to get married and needs to develop more life experience and character. He's likely to be King in the next 20 years and his marriage is a huge commitment for anyone.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

The Daily Mail also has the news:
It's over: Kate and William split | the Daily Mail

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 04-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
As well as yahoo UK
Prince William splits from girlfriend - Yahoo! News UK
Old 04-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Royal Highness

awww im so disappointed!! i loved kate, and thought she would have made a great queen. but he was young, and she probably wasn't ready for all the media attention. well, maybe we can hope for a reconcilliation.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

CNN as well: Prince*William breaks up with girlfriend - CNN.com

However, let's see if Clarence house has anything to say about this.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Nobility

Well...I am not surprised at all....
Old 04-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1
awww im so disappointed!! i loved kate, and thought she would have made a great queen. but he was young, and she probably wasn't ready for all the media attention. well, maybe we can hope for a reconcilliation.
I totally agree. The media IMO, has a part of responsibility in their separation.They harassed Kate all the time, they made a whole fuss about it (as they did for Diana and Charles by the way). Maybe it is better that way because if they had married, it would have probably turned out into a total disaster.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Nobility

Let me be the first to say the joke's on us. I don't believe this for one second. A ruse to get the press off of his girlfriend's back. They've gone underground. I've often wondered why they didn't do this before. Edit to say if it IS true, then there will be a reconciliation down the road. They have too much history, and I wouldn't want to be the the following act behind this first, intense relationship.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Gentry

I have a feeling that they will get back together after his army service. maybe they are trying to see if the media will give her a break, now that they broke up...
I dont think he will find a better girl...she was perfect.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Nobility

Well well we still have to wait and see. It is still only an article from "the sun" and that say nothing how it is in the reality.
But if it is over, I think we have to accept that it is definitly over.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Gentry

I think the pressure did nothing to help this relationship. Kate has shown a lot of grace under pressure while dating Prince William, and she will survive this just fine. If they reconcile, I will be happy, if not, then all the best to both of them.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Commoner

I feel sad to hear that.Five years is a long time for them together.

Good luck to them.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
... I wouldn't want to be the following act behind this first, intense relationship.
I don't want to think we've invested all that time, effort and carry-on for 20 current events threads on someone who may turn out to be a non-starter.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard
Well well we still have to wait and see. It is still only an article from "the sun" and that say nothing how it is in the reality.
But if it is over, I think we have to accept that it is definitly over.
I don't think so. IMHO the nice articles Richard Kay has written about prince Charles were his payment for this "scoop". IMHO the news is really from inside of William's circle. But is it the truth? I'm not so sure. There are two basic possibilities: William and Catherine stopped loving each other or they still love.

Possibility A: It's the truth and that's the end of it. The best thing for both of them would be to really finish their relationship and not pretend to be "just friends" who meet occassionally, stirring up all kind of rumours.

Possibility B: They are still in love, they still have a secret agenda but they want to get rid of the attention and the feverish speculations about their plans. In this case both profit from their "split" - Catherine gets a chance to review her decision for William and might be able to enter into new fields of professional working without all the media hassle. Because who cares about the "old flames" of Royals? William OTOH can concentrate on his job and responsibilities without feeling that he is forced into marriage. It could be predicted that the upcoming "Diana"-year would add to this pressure - now this pressure is gone for now.

I have no idea which possibility is the truth. But both could be it, IMHO.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, prince william, relationships