The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I've had to delete some posts debating the purpose of this forum.

In case any of you wondered, the purpose of this forum is to discuss royals without slandering or libelling anyone.

Now that we have that settled, I trust the debate is finished and I shall take you back to your regular program.

ysbel
British forums moderator

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I tried to understand the joke about Mrs. Middleton's former profession as an airline hostess: "doors to manual"... but simply can't figure it out. Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you very much in advance. Jo, German native speaker

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Aristocracy

Just before landing, the captain of the aeroplane comes on the overhead speaker to inform the cabin crew to put 'doors to manual' which basically means that when the doors of the plane are opened the escape shutes don't inflate. I think that just because it is always said on flights, in the UK, it has become a bit of a cathcphrase. Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles played no role in Wills' break-up with Kate

Prince William's decision to call off his five year relationship with Kate Middleton was taken without any members of his family, especially his father Prince Charles, interfering, Royal sources insist.

Charles played no role in Wills' break-up with Kate

Separate lives for William and Kate

AS he copes with the break up of his first long term relationship, Prince William's future remains set, mapped out to mould him into a king.

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/View...icleid=2704709
Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Royal Highness

It strikes me as overkill with the heavy handed blames put on Carol Middleton. If the couple reached a decision back weeks and it's been kept on the quiet for that time, then the flury of stories coming out about poor William and how unsuitable her family is all of sudden. I have to pinch myself to remember this is not a page out of "Pride and Prejudice".

So what Carol Middleton wants what's best for her daughter. Any mother would. It's not like this is exclusively middleclass. For all the polished veneers, the titled would push for their daughters to be the next princess/queen. It seems to me as a desperate PR move to make sure William doesn't come off looking the bad guy.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
For all the polished veneers, the titled would push for their daughters to be the next princess/queen. It seems to me as a desperate PR move to make sure William doesn't come off looking the bad guy.
Most of the titled have more sense than to push for their daughters to be subjected to the media hounding, public pulling apart and mass hysteria than seems to accompany any partner of a future prince of wales! Gone are the days of chivalry, when it was always reported that the girl had broken it off with the man!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, like I said, it is highly unlikely that any paper (and note that most of the ones printing this stuff are not so reliable) would put the onus on Ms Middleton. It would not do to embarras the royal family, perceived or otherwise. It would make their readership upset and less likely to purchase papers, and might open themselves to a lible suit, so the easy way out is to say that William is the one who broke it off. Thereby the paper gets a story and William is not "embarrased" by having lost a girlfriend.. Needless to say I doubt that we will ever know the true story, so I take all of this with a sack of salt.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
What all of us may want to remember is that not everything reported by the Media is true.
I don't mean the actual break up, I think we can be certain that something had really happened.
I mean all the rumours surrounding the break up. We don't know what are the reasons behind it, we don't know whether Prince William's friends were really humiliating Miss Middleton's family, we don't know whether even 5% of the articles posted are true.

They are just a couples and couples do break up sometimes. I have to say this for kate though - she behaved herself with utmost dignity both before and after the break. My respect for her is as strong as ever, regardless of all Kate bashing or Kate the Saint articles.
Very well said Avalon!

We will never know how the split happened and why: not today and not tomorrow. We should accept that some things in very life are private!
But i also know that the rumours we read now are only the beginning of speculations about Wiliams future life and his future girlfriend or wife.
When i read the headlines of today i only can shake my head, and i will give up to discuss these news without any facts, it´s only boring!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Doesn't this all sound a bit like a broken record...............one that his father played 30 years or so ago? Letting a commoner go because he wasn't ready and maybe she wasn't good enough for the role? I would've thought William's witness to his parents mistakes surely would have made him smarter and at least more sensitive. I hope he doen't go the route of bar and bed hopping for surely he will never find Queen material between the sheets.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William has an advantage - his father is very supportive of him and would accept any decision of his, whether decision of a break up or decision of an engagement.

I don't think this present situation has anything to do with what happened 20 years ago. And I think it's not exactly fair to compair the situations, since we don't know exacly what happened back then and we have little information what happened now.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the explanation of the phrase "doors to manual". I still don't see the joke in it, but okay...

As for the way the separation was handled I would be interested in some opinions.

For me the fact that Williim and Catherine had once lived together at university and were appearing in public as a couple (as in kissing, spending holidays together, entering her home together with him leaving in the morning, hosting dinner parties at restaurants together, spending weekends at his or her family home), told me that they were an item, even without being married.
It is okay to end such a relationship, of course.

But for me the way it was handled was very unpolite and humiliating for the girl. As Skydragon said: in former times the public reading would have been that she ended the relationship. Okay, it was a rule about ending a betrothal, but in former times such "informal" ways to be a couple didn't exist, so there were no rules. In addition in former times the gentleman did all to protect the reputation of the lady.... As did Charles IMHO for Camilla, even when he confessed to adultery at TV he (IIRC) did not mention her name.

So the way William handled the situation seems to be completely unpolite. Not only is Catherine left standing in the rain, through his partying right after the news he gave the impression that he was feeling that he was well rid of her - with all the innuendos and impressions this behaviour invited.

For me it is simply unbelievable that someone who wants to become a head of state one day and be the fond of all honour could act so without personal honour. Would it have been too much to give a short statement to the press that HRH prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton have decided to separate? Or another wording to the same effect?

Plus the Royal family or prince Charles could have helped her to find a job in her profession outside the Uk for a while, maybe working for Sotheby's or Christie's (can't remember where Lord Linley is a member of the board of directors) in NY or Los Angeles. Or she could have been helped to a job with a fashion designer abroad - there must be some where the RF has connections to and who would want to help. Maybe they are already trying to help her, but couldn't they have waited till it was all settled?

One might imagine that the media got wind of the decision before it was planned to inform the press but still it should have been possible to react more dignified on William's side, to see to it that his friends keep quiet for a bit longer till Catherine would have been gone and then let her release a statement that she decided that she wanted to improve her professional experience... with anyone knowing what this means, of course, but still.

The way it happened with her was uncalled for - as she had IMHO done nothing to deserve such a callous treatment by the man she believed loved her, a man who is not a little boy having seen the movie "Free Willy" once to often but an officer on his way to command first some men and then the respect of a whole nation.

I believe that Charles and Camilla as well as the queen and the duke of Edinburgh are no social snobs even though they realise that their life is different from the life of others and that there are circumstances that set them apart. That's the way it is. Still they try to make a difference for the others they feel responsible for: you don't need to invite the homeless for dinner or let them sleep on your pillows if you want to help them. You only need to treat them as human beings with their own right of dignity. That's what William has not yet understood, IMHO.

And being the child of a different, more egocentric and selfish and less dutiful time than his grandmother or his father, I'm afraid he might be the true threat to the monarchy. Being the souverain has not so much to do with looking good, throwing parties, organising memorial concerts or services or giving his name to charities but it has to do with real compassion for the people. Both Diana and Charles (have) had that ability, even though both (have been/were brought up in splendour and have been/were convinced of their divine right to an elevated position in society.

My point is: William could and should have protected his former lover - instead he humiliated her with another night of partying. What a future king!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Unhappy First Post

I too feel badly for both the Prince and for Miss Middleton, but also some disappointment with William. He needs to do the gallant thing, even if belatedly, and make a public statement that uplifts Catherine as much as is possible under the circumtances. William has his future laid out for him; Kate is left hanging, though she seems to be a woman of strong character with many excellent qualities who'll make her life work. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't wish both of them the best, apart or . . . maybe together in the future after all?????

Marigold
Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Courtier

some pics of her... she smiles. at the camera...

Dumped Kate shows strain | News | This is London
Old 04-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Courtier

If William really is as immature as the press concerning the separation reported than Kate can be happy to have got rid of him.
As I wrote before he´s much too young for a serious relation that could end in a marriage. He IMO still needs for years to "sow his wild oats".
IMO he hasn´t got a bit of an attitude to at least try to find a noble wife. He will hang around with all that (rich) party girls in the next years and might get the same problems as his father did who had(s) a long time relationship to a married woman and then was urged to marry a virgin like Diana. If he prefers party girls or commoners there´s never ever a chance for him to become happy with another type of woman....
Old 04-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for posting the article, Karla64

If even little part of the article is actually true, my respect for Kate has grown even more.
I'm far from blaiming any part in the break up, but whatever happened, Kate behaved herself admirably.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64
some pics of her... she smiles. at the camera...

Dumped Kate shows strain | News | This is London
She seems to be holding up well. If half of what the newsaer says about William's behaviour is true, he's not a good choice anyway - "normal 24-year-olds" do NOT fondle other women if they are in a relationship, period!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Aristocracy

How sad, they seemed like a pretty solid couple. But is this true - Royal split: Snobbery center stage - CNN.com
Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Serene Highness

imo she always handled herself with class and decorum and does not deserve to be treated so rudely. i hope these nasty "friends" are not in the princes trust too much, because they will turn on him if it suits them. just shows breeding doesn't equate with class.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
How sad, they seemed like a pretty solid couple. But is this true - Royal split: Snobbery center stage - CNN.com
Well, it's now a topic in the British and international media, so it definately casts the Royal family and their circle in a bad light. Obviously one does not need a princess Diana to tell the public about how snobbish the people around the Royals are - one need only journalists eager to listen to William's "friends".
Editors in situations like this tend to try to verify statements and judge them by their ownm experiences. If different, rival papers come to similar results like in this case, there normally is a grain of truth in it. As one journalist said: these quotes have been around for some time but till this time they were not printed.

For me it is really sad as I see the effort Charles and Camilla have made to appear down to earth and really caring. And it's worse because the "normal" reader of papers tend to think in archetypes and is not so much interested in somehow difficile details of a story. They get plain pictures of events, not the truth in all its intriguing and often ambiguous aspects. This time they get to hear again what a cold-hearted and snobbistic bunch of people surrounds the Royals, joking about a nice and decent girl from their own midst.

In a way Catherine represented the archetyp of "American dream princess" - one should not forget that she herself is a considerable heiress with a posh education. She's no little working class gal like "Eliza Doolittle". William appeared to be her Prince Charming, but is now cast in the role of spoiled brat. Is there nobody within the royal circles who cares a bit for this monarchy and its image? William obviously doesn't.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Royal Highness

Good for Kate for not letting the snappers get a photo of her crying. That just shows to me what a smart woman she is. And I for one don't think she should run out of country or get another quiet job over the breakup. She hadn't done anything she needs to be ashamed of.

Tags
kate middleton, prince william, relationships