The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laviollette said:
It's interesting that despite Kate being utterly devoted to William and putting her own life on hold, that they've now had two cooling-off periods in their no more than 3-year relationship (in 2004 and now in 2006). Arabella M. moved on from PW and the PR girl is doing something with her life. She wasn't going to put up with any disrespect due to his roving eye. Anna Sloane of Tennessee declined his offer to date after he became smitten with her during the 2004 cooling-off period with Kate; W&K got back together. Isabella Anstruther-etc. also doesn't return the apparent interest he has in her. She's denied knowing him even though gossip mags say yes, they have met. She's graduated from Edinburgh University and isn't pining for Wills.

So who's left? Kate. Waiting, waiting for a ring, not building a life of her own outside of her bf's life and his interests. And now word of this 2nd cooling-off period. It makes me wonder what Kate is going to do if her relationship with William doesn't work out? What if he dumps her? I think she'll be devastated having put all this effort into this one person and staked her future on him and her expectations don't pan out. If that happens I'll bet it will be spun that Kate dumped Wills but that won't change her hurt feelings after she's become dependent on her bf at the expense of building her own life and career.

Excellent post! And Beatrixfan i agree with you too. Forget about jealousy, if the press were so quick to point out that she was "planning" to develop her "own" business then they surely would be reporting if she was doing anything at the moment.

Last edited:
gabby_windsor said:
Forget about jealousy, if the press were so quick to point out that she was "planning" to develop her "own" business then they surely would be reporting if she was doing anything at the moment.

Yes the press ended up with egg on their faces, once again. Where are the reports from Catherine or anyone connected with her, stating that she had any intention of starting a business?

Come to that, how do any of us know that she isn't running a successful business? You don't have to register with anyone to start or run a business, after all, would any of us realise that Flipsy Bunny (invented name) is owned and run by Catherine? Registration for VAT is voluntary unless the company earns a large amount (£250,000?).
Corporate Tax details are not available to the public and unless she 'floats' the company on the SE, details of the company's owners would be almost impossible to find, especially if you don't know the name of the company to start with!

PAYE details are not available to the public and if any member of staff felt like 'looking her up' on the system, they would find nothing, whilst the system alerts the police and office managers.

Skydragon said:
Yes the press ended up with egg on their faces, once again. Where are the reports from Catherine or anyone connected with her, stating that she had any intention of starting a business?

Come to that, how do any of us know that she isn't running a successful business? You don't have to register with anyone to start or run a business, after all, would any of us realise that Flipsy Bunny (invented name) is owned and run by Catherine? Registration for VAT is voluntary unless the company earns a large amount (£250,000?).
Corporate Tax details are not available to the public and unless she 'floats' the company on the SE, details of the company's owners would be almost impossible to find, especially if you don't know the name of the company to start with!

PAYE details are not available to the public and if any member of staff felt like 'looking her up' on the system, they would find nothing, whilst the system alerts the police and office managers.

Actually didn't that guy who rowed across the Atlantic (there are photos of William welcoming him home) say that she was starting her own business and then it came out that she was just going to be the name and she was being courted by Viyella (i think).

If she was running a successful business, the media would be all over it and quickly. They have all put their hopes on this woman becoming the next Princess of Wales.

In regards to a statement of cooling off, well we have never had a statement of heating up (nor pictorial evidence for that matter, except a kiss on a cheek once or twice).

But i guess the media works both ways, we can't believe then that Kate is the greatest, most elegant and chic creature ever either and that it is a case of "when" not if either.

Laviollette said:
Isabella Anstruther-etc. also doesn't return the apparent interest he has in her. She's denied knowing him even though gossip mags say yes, they have met.

Amazing, the gossip mags know better than the girl concerned as to whether they knew each other or dated! :ROFLMAO:

Laviollette said:
It's interesting that despite Kate being utterly devoted to William and putting her own life on hold, that they've now had two cooling-off periods in their no more than 3-year relationship (in 2004 and now in 2006). Arabella M. moved on from PW and the PR girl is doing something with her life. She wasn't going to put up with any disrespect due to his roving eye. Anna Sloane of Tennessee declined his offer to date after he became smitten with her during the 2004 cooling-off period with Kate; W&K got back together. Isabella Anstruther-etc. also doesn't return the apparent interest he has in her. She's denied knowing him even though gossip mags say yes, they have met. She's graduated from Edinburgh University and isn't pining for Wills.

So who's left? Kate. Waiting, waiting for a ring, not building a life of her own outside of her bf's life and his interests. And now word of this 2nd cooling-off period. It makes me wonder what Kate is going to do if her relationship with William doesn't work out? What if he dumps her? I think she'll be devastated having put all this effort into this one person and staked her future on him and her expectations don't pan out. If that happens I'll bet it will be spun that Kate dumped Wills but that won't change her hurt feelings after she's become dependent on her bf at the expense of building her own life and career.

With all due respect, Kate has a degree and is able to live on her own. Now William has a set of duties he has to fulfill whether Kate is in his life or not. As for cooling off periods, they could simply be times that he has to not be with her since he has a life of his own. He can't just pop off training, jog to the movie with Kate and then jet off like most trust fund kids his age. She shouldn't expect him to pick her up, whisk her off to the Palace, then toss a ring on her finger as if his entire life was constructed to make her Princess of Wales. It isn't and she had better realize that pronto. She isn't a royal by blood and birth, she's a member of the middle class and William won't be like any husband that her friends are used to or have grown up expecting. If his itinerary states he has to fish for whales after Sandhurst, then that is where he's going to go whether Kate approves or not. The courtiers guide his life so that way the monarchy continues and if Kate wants to stop that or get in the way, then Kate will be (harsh as it sounds) kicked aside. William's life is not like hers and he has a duty to fulfill.

If Kate wants to be a part of his life, it's part of the sacrifices that she will have to make, one sacrifice being he won't be around to hold her hand at all times. If she whines and holds him back, then she will get kicked out. She's 24 for heaven's sake, she should be significantly more mature than this! She jets around, shops at posh shops and clubs at exclusive nightspots, but can't even handle the fact that William has responsibilities that go with the perks? Pretty sad.

When it comes to the cooling off periods, well, she should be getting a life besides that of William. I myself have a boyfriend who is out of state working hard at his new job, but I can't just jet off down there on whim, plus I HAVE to work at a job I hate to make minor ends meet (college student living with parents) so I really don't sympathize with someone who shops all the time and has a degree that she didn't even have to pay for herself. She has plenty of oppoortunities to pull herself out of a funk and get going. The 'cooling periods' could just be times that William can't spend with her since he has to be training. Therefore they are not together at all times. I myself am devoted, but unlike her I cannot just whimsically put my job, family, and social life on hold (I did for a brief time since I wasn't used to not being in a controlling relationship, took time to find my feet) but still, I wasn't ever unemployed.

BeatrixFan said:
William's girlfriend can never be a private person - the moment he's seen with her, she becomes public property and I'm not saying thats right, but it's fact. She becomes public property and she has to justify certain things.

william's girlfriend is a private person as long as she remains his girlfriend. just because they're seen together doesn't give the press or the public the right to know about her private life. she doesn't have to justify a single thing unless she's being financially supported by the public. the press has every right to photograph her when she's in public and that's all their entitled to. when and if they marry then i agree her private life will all but disappear. as for whether or not she has money, it was mentioned because of the discussion on why she doesn't have a job and that people were stating that if she has enough money to have the luxury not to have to work then that might be the explanation. i don't believe it was brought up in the context of whether or not she'd make a suitable wife...at least not in this thread. "the same dull expression" was a lovely smile in a recent photograph that was posted here...doesn't look like she's depressed at all...even when she's not smiling. but then again i guess everyone reads facial expressions in a different way. the truth of the matter is that Catherine doesn't have to explain or justify herself to anyone at this point. she's a private citizen in a relationship with a member of the royal family but until they marry, if that happens, then she can do as she pleases; work or not - if she's supporting herself or her parents are or her income is coming from some other private source - shop, sleep, smile, sulk or flop. it's no else's business.

Last edited:
Note, I never said that was right and made a point that I wasn't saying that. But it's what happens. It's the way the current climate works. The press buys the deeds to the person and shares the property with us. It happens. When they're engaged, it will become even worse because then the ownership passes to us as the British people - we'll own every part of her and that's how it is. We want to see her smile, laugh, cry, frown. We want to hear her swear, we want to see her when she's drunk, we want to test her humanity. It's the way things happen. When they marry - her life is gone. She isn't Kate Middleton anymore. She's ours. She's consigned to a date in a history book and to see if we deem her to be the right one for that footnote in history, we have to test her and scrutinise her now before any mistakes are made. It's sad but true.

Skydragon said:
And how would he know.... it is all rumours put about by the media and so called 'friends' who want 5 minutes of fame.

I hardly think he needed to mention Kate Middleton to get his 5 minutes of fame. He rowed across the Atlantic, to me, that's more of an achievement than knowing Kate Middleton. After the interview went out, William was seen with him, so if he had something he shouldn't have than he surely would have been frozen out.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
Note, I never said that was right and made a point that I wasn't saying that. But it's what happens. It's the way the current climate works. The press buys the deeds to the person and shares the property with us. It happens. When they're engaged, it will become even worse because then the ownership passes to us as the British people - we'll own every part of her and that's how it is. We want to see her smile, laugh, cry, frown. We want to hear her swear, we want to see her when she's drunk, we want to test her humanity. It's the way things happen. When they marry - her life is gone. She isn't Kate Middleton anymore. She's ours. She's consigned to a date in a history book and to see if we deem her to be the right one for that footnote in history, we have to test her and scrutinise her now before any mistakes are made. It's sad but true.

i completely agree that if and when they become engaged then it will be worse than it is now but to say the press buys the deeds to the person and shares the property with us is only half true. like i said when she's in public then the press can snap away but she's not by any stretch of the imagination a public person any other time. while you say you want to see her smile, laugh, cry and frown - you didn't sound very pleased when she was "sulking". as for passing to "us as the British people" i'm canadian and a member of the commonwealth so it's not just "the British people" that she may one day be Queen of. i understand that this all your opinion but don't you think "ownership" is a rather harsh word to use?

No I don't. It isn't a physical ownership but it's definately an ownership. I don't like her sulking and I'd like to see her show a variety of emotions and something different. At the moment, to me, she's a one trick pony - turns up at Polo, sulks, holds his hand, goes shopping, goes home. It's all very boring and she doesn't have any sparkle. Either she's containing an explosive personality that's going to erupt or she really is as boring as William is and we're all in for a very very boring reign.

Royal Fan said:
So they are still together?
Barely it seems. This just doesn't sound good. Maybe the public is being prepared for the final break-up of these two. For some reason I think this will be passed off as William's fault to protect Kate's reputation instead of her being known as the girl who was dumped by Prince William.

I Really Like em hope they pull through and rekindle the Relationship

Skydragon said:
I don't believe that Catherine has any 'great expectations' of William dropping everything to come running to answer her every whim!

It seems to me, she is a member of a large band of women who are able to have a rich and fulfilling life, while their men are otherwise engaged! Catherine hasn't put her life on hold, she has just got on with it, IMO!

politikgirl - :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I will have to stop shopping then! :lol:

Totally agree with you, Skydragon. I also think that she's a woman in charge of her life and lives it in front of the paparazzi lens and out-of-sight. She's probably amused by the whole game of it and the speculation of what she is doing in her life. She seems quite reserved in releasing any information about what she is doing and remains in charge of who she is.

Duchess said:
william's girlfriend is a private person as long as she remains his girlfriend. just because they're seen together doesn't give the press or the public the right to know about her private life. she doesn't have to justify a single thing unless she's being financially supported by the public.....
...... the truth of the matter is that Catherine doesn't have to explain or justify herself to anyone at this point. she's a private citizen in a relationship with a member of the royal family but until they marry, if that happens, then she can do as she pleases; work or not - if she's supporting herself or her parents are or her income is coming from some other private source - shop, sleep, smile, sulk or flop. it's no else's business.

Very well said and sentiments I agree with

to say the press buys the deeds to the person and shares the property with us is only half true. like i said when she's in public then the press can snap away but she's not by any stretch of the imagination a public person any other time.

Also well said, everyone is entitled to have some privacy. I don't believe I own or have the right to know every detail about Catherine. I don't have the right to know every detail about any of the royals, even though I pay HMIR, to keep them in the style to which they are accustomed! :flowers:

CasiraghiTrio said:
You know whatever is really going on, the real story is much more exciting than all of our guesswork! The real story is always much better than the speculations, from my experience! What do they say, Truth is better than Fiction? :lol:
The problem is, we'll probably never know. We're very used to "Hollywood celebrities" (to use an expression) living their personal and romantic lives in the public eye (hello Tom Cruise).
It seems many royal-watchers find it difficult to get to grips with the fact that it is possible to live very private public lives.

We know Kate can be seen occasionally walking down the street (or, outrageously, shopping) alone or with her mother; we know she goes to nightclubs with William; and we know she attends some polo matches. Apart from that, we know very little indeed, and everything else is pure speculation, wishful thinking or fantasy.

Laviollette said:
Barely it seems. This just doesn't sound good. Maybe the public is being prepared for the final break-up of these two. For some reason I think this will be passed off as William's fault to protect Kate's reputation instead of her being known as the girl who was dumped by Prince William.

"Protect Kate's reputation?!" How would that look "Future King Dumped by Commoner"! Anyway, if even one rumor of Wills cheating on her is true she'd have to be pretty stupid not to learn from the past! In the end the glamour and jewels didn't matter to Diana. Marriage into the royal family is a BIG step and means giving up a lot for all the perks. She'd be better of just marrying some rich bloke who's not royal than the future king IF he were already cheating on her.

Warren said:
The problem is, we'll probably never know. We're very used to "Hollywood celebrities" (to use an expression) living their personal and romantic lives in the public eye (hello Tom Cruise).
It seems many royal-watchers find it difficult to get to grips with the fact that it is possible to live very private public lives.

We know Kate can be seen occasionally walking down the street (or, outrageously, shopping) alone or with her mother; we know she goes to nightclubs with William; and we know she attends some polo matches. Apart from that, we know very little indeed, and everything else is pure speculation, wishful thinking or fantasy.

Well said! But I do think that often with public figures, the rumors that are started in the press do eventually end up affecting real life.

qui mal y pense said:
"Protect Kate's reputation?!" How would that look "Future King Dumped by Commoner"!...
It won't matter if William is dumped. He's the future King of England. There's no stigma attached to him or any man who is dumped regardless of his status. Unfair but true. It's not like Kate will not be able to go on and have a life or that it would be the end of the world but it would be worse for her in the short term if they broke up. And how about Woolworths selling wedding memorabilia? I just don't know what to say.:wacko:

I do but I won't because I believe the words are considered offensive.

Laviollette said:
It won't matter if William is dumped. He's the future King of England. There's no stigma attached to him or any man who is dumped regardless of his status. Unfair but true. It's not like Kate will not be able to go on and have a life or that it would be the end of the world but it would be worse for her in the short term if they broke up. And how about Woolworths selling wedding memorabilia? I just don't know what to say.:wacko:

I totally agree. Kate will probably be blamed or something like that. It's just that Prince Will is just that.... a prince. As long as he's a prince and future king he won't be as targeted as the other people he associates with.

I'm just starting to post here, but I think its horrible that anyone is pushing Wills to get married. I firmly believe that Charles married Diana because of matrimonial pressure. He seems like a wise young man, and I truly hope he doesn't marry until he is sure, so the Royal Family doesn't have to suffer through another break up like Charles and Diana's.

Warren said:
Apart from that, we know very little indeed, and everything else is pure speculation, wishful thinking or fantasy.
And jealousy, spitefulness, and bitterness. I see some of it has found its way to this board. Sad.

Oppie said:
I'm in my mid-twenties and have no job, I guess I am as 'pathetic' as Kate. And I am not the only one I know that is in the same situation. :rolleyes:

I agree, Oppie. It seems more and more common nowadays. Most of the kids I am in classes with are in their 20s and do not work. They are good students and good people, certainly not what I would ever say is pathetic. I wonder why it is so common though. Is it worldwide, or just in some parts of the world?

Oppie, the difference is that although unemployment is high - Kate's profile and connections could easily get her a job.

ah yes my profile and lack of connection exactly why I don't have a job (Although maybe I should have pointed out that I am underemployed not unemployed)

Anyways that brings up an interesting point. How would people feel if for example Laura Lopes (who works for a gallary) got Kate a job ?

As long as she's earning her money by moral means I see no problem with Laura getting her job.

The mind boggles, she could be a phone girl. One of those ghastly creatures that rings to offer you double glazing, a kitchen, bathroom etc. Now even I would go off her then! :lol:

Tell me about it. My tip - ask them to hold on whilst you finish chopping up a baby. They soon hang up.

Oppie said:
Anyways that brings up an interesting point. How would people feel if for example Laura Lopes (who works for a gallary) got Kate a job ?

what's so terrible about it? i think the gallery belongs to her, so if she sees in kate a person who would be suitable for her business i don't see why not.

they are two ladies that are good friends because of moving in the same circles. they both have a passion for art. kate studied art. it's not like she is getting a job that someone else would do better because of being laura's friend. i guess after her degree in st andrew's she is more than prepared to take up a job in a gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom