The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a fan of Camillia's but I don't think that she is being lazy...and its a little unfair to compare the two IMO.

Camilla is from a different time when women were "educated", came out into society and than married. That's her life. This is not to say that she is not smart, and couldn't have had a real job or meaningful life (though it could be argued that raising her kids was her job) or a respresentative of all women of her age but that's her life. Who are we to judge? In addition, she has only been married a year...do we expect her to really do 300+ engagements...thats unfair. But this thread is about Kate and not Camilla.

Now Kate is not a part of "society" but she does come from a little money, and if the relationship doesn't work with William and she does fade into the background and gets a job like everyone else..I am sure she can easily explain her lack of work experience by saying that she took a gap year or worked for her parents.

Kate is in an enviable position that she doesn't need to stress about earning a living. There are plenty of girls with means that don't work at all. That she had an university education shouldn't automatically require her working either. I'd rather see her spend time shopping and hanging out on polo fields, then getting a silly job for PR's sake. I'm sure there will be people critizing her for the type of work she gets or how she got it, etc. ad nausea.

I expect that Kate will start working for her parents internet based company if things don't work out with William.

It's the perfect way to work and stay out of the limelight for a few years until the press forget you.

Incas said:
Kate is in an enviable position that she doesn't need to stress about earning a living. There are plenty of girls with means that don't work at all. That she had an university education shouldn't automatically require her working either. I'd rather see her spend time shopping and hanging out on polo fields, then getting a silly job for PR's sake. I'm sure there will be people critizing her for the type of work she gets or how she got it, etc. ad nausea.
Enviable being the operative word.

At the moment I have no expectations of Kate. She is the 2nd in line to the throne's girlfriend - nothing more, nothing less. What she does with her time and money should really be no one's business but her own. If and when her status becomes more official then that will change but until then.............

Luv2Cruise said:
Enviable being the operative word.

I agree. I am jealous! I would have killed to live Kate Middleton's life when I was her age.

Heidi P. ;) Oh there are a few loose screws who trash Kate with reckless abandon but wail like a < ed > if you accuse them of being envious of her. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My expectation as a member of the public is that she goes away and William finds a more appropriate and better and royal or at least noble girlfriend and future wife (not me). Therefore I don't see how anyone could accuse me of being jealous of Kate, since I would not want to be in her place. I'd much rather have Lord Frederick, I must say. And I am of appropriate age.

Last edited:
felicia said:
My expectation as a member of the public is that she goes away and William finds a more appropriate and better and royal or at least noble girlfriend and future wife (not me). Therefore I don't see how anyone could accuse me of being jealous of Kate, since I would not want to be in her place. I'd much rather have Lord Frederick, I must say. And I am of appropriate age.

Hee, hee! I've just discovered that if you get email notification of a reply to a topic, you get to see that reply in its original, pre-edited form :D

So far Mary Donaldson seems to be doing a fine job as Crown Princess of Denmark and I see no reason why Kate Middleton could not do just as well in GB, if she's asked and if she wants to. IMO what's important is the suitability of the person as an individual and the fact she was not born into a royal or noble family is not really important. Kate has been well educated and brought up with money and I imagine all the doors that money can buy have been opened for her and she knows how to behave in society and is already mixing with the RF. She can learn the rest. I do agree it would be a hellish job, though. I certainly wouldn't want to take it on.

I do think that if they are not going to get engaged soon it's probably about time she started doing something constructive with her time. If she already is working, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for a little bit of information about what she does in between polo matches and parties to be leaked to the press.

Well the original post was hardly any different;) I mean for some Kate may be good enough for William, but for me and many others I don't think she is good enough because she has no royal or noble backgroud, and I don't like the look of her. She just lacks charisma. Unlike crown princess Mary of Denmark who just oozes charisma sometimes. Kate is just boring and the fact she has no royal or noble lineage is important actually, since the British Royal Family needs all the prestige it can get in the future when the Queen is gone. I don't think it would be a hellish job for everyone. If the woman was perfect, then all would be perfect. I want him to marry Princess Theodora. But like I said Lord Frederick is who I want. :) I don't think Kate does anything except the polo matches, parties, holidays and shopping. She is kind of annoying. I mean look at Crown Princess Mary when she was dating Crown Prince Frederik - she had lots of jobs and continued to work and lead a responsible life.

felicia said:
Well the original post was hardly any different;) I mean for some Kate may be good enough for William, but for me and many others I don't think she is good enough because she has no royal or noble backgroud, and I don't like the look of her. She just lacks charisma. Unlike crown princess Mary of Denmark who just oozes charisma sometimes. Kate is just boring and the fact she has no royal or noble lineage is important actually, since the British Royal Family needs all the prestige it can get in the future when the Queen is gone. I don't think it would be a hellish job for everyone. If the woman was perfect, then all would be perfect. I want him to marry Princess Theodora. But like I said Lord Frederick is who I want. :) I don't think Kate does anything except the polo matches, parties, holidays and shopping. She is kind of annoying. I mean look at Crown Princess Mary when she was dating Crown Prince Frederik - she had lots of jobs and continued to work and lead a responsible life.

i don't know much about mary so forgive me if i'm wrong but she doesn't have a noble or royal background does she? and as far as charisma goes, it's a special gift to have charisma. you don't have it sometimes and it's not something you can turn on and off....you either have it or you don't. personally i think it would be much more romantic if royals married royals but that's our choice to make.

No Mary does not have a royal or noble background, but she nearly makes up for that with her charisma, intelligence and elegance, and how much Frederik loves her. Also her production of a beautiful son is very commendable. Yes the whole reason I prefer royals to marry royals is because it is more romantic, and there is a distant family connection which is being maintained.

I think she should get a job or start doing something for charity. Didn't her mother ever tell her DON'T sit around waiting for the guy? Live your life and if he wants to join you on the way, fine, but don't waste your life!

Unless she and William have an agreement, she has no reason to expect that she will marry him. So she needs to make a life for herself.

I don't know much about her, but I will say this. I remember as a little girl that Diana oozed charisma and how she was fascinating even though she was so excruciatingly young. Not to compare the two (which is unfair but I am doing it anyway:( ) but Kate does not have that impact. As someone commented earlier, you either have it or you don't.

Of course, this raises the question. Is it necessary that a Queen Consort have charisma? Would it be better and easier on the King if she didn't? As long as she stands by her man, isn't that what really matters? Did Diana raise an unnecessary standard? Since I am an American, I have no idea, but it is something to think about!

I agree with Felicia, they should marry Royals. That way, the Royal families seem like they have a reason for living!!

I totally agree that she needs to go get a job. I mean she went to uni, earned a degree, now she should put it to good use.

We've had the "she needs to get a job/no she doesn't" discussion many times over in the Kate Middleton current events threads.
Unless there's something to say which hasn't already been said it's probably best not to reignite the debate here.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

tenngirl said:
I don't know much about her, but I will say this. I remember as a little girl that Diana oozed charisma and how she was fascinating even though she was so excruciatingly young. Not to compare the two (which is unfair but I am doing it anyway:( ) but Kate does not have that impact. As someone commented earlier, you either have it or you don't.
Of course, this raises the question. Is it necessary that a Queen Consort have charisma? Would it be better and easier on the King if she didn't? As long as she stands by her man, isn't that what really matters? Did Diana raise an unnecessary standard? Since I am an American, I have no idea, but it is something to think about!
I think it is important that the King and Queen are compatible, and neither overpowers the other, because it is a partnership. However, that being said, it seems to me that usually the public is more interested in female royals and in the royal love stories, so I would say it is important for the security of the monarchy to have at least a respected Queen, if not loved. While Diana was so charismatic that it overwhelmed Charles, Silvia of Sweden is terribly charismatic, but in combination with Carl Gustav, it works and works to Sweden's advantage. Particularly in a royal family which has had some struggles in the recent past with seeming necessary and scandal-free, I think the British royals need William to marry a woman who will, without overpowering him, reinvigorate the monarchy and add a touch of charisma.

I think you can be respected without necessarily being charismatic. The present Queen is by no means a charismatic person but she generally has the respect of most people.

Kate currently has to be discrete or low-profile because there is no engagement between her and William. Once there is such an engagement I can easily imagine her blossoming into an outgoing charismatic young woman in love. Just look at how Camilla was transformed since her marriage to Charles.

Princess BellyFlop said:
Kate currently has to be discrete or low-profile because there is no engagement between her and William. Once there is such an engagement I can easily imagine her blossoming into an outgoing charismatic young woman in love. Just look at how Camilla was transformed since her marriage to Charles.

I think she has toned down her public persona considerably in the past few weeks. She was getting a bit overexposed attending so many polo matches and nightclub events. I think it is better for her to keep a low profile until an engagement occurs, if that is meant to be.

Princess BellyFlop said:
Kate currently has to be discrete or low-profile because there is no engagement between her and William.

i personally don't think she has achieved to be low-profile at all. perhaps, discreet. but no, not low profile. :huh:

Princess BellyFlop said:
Once there is such an engagement I can easily imagine her blossoming into an outgoing charismatic young woman in love. Just look at how Camilla was transformed since her marriage to Charles.

camilla's "transformation" came only after her marriage to Prince Charles because it was only at that time that the BRF thought it was the best time to do so, knowing that a sufficient time was already provided for people to grieve over Diana's death. and sufficient time for us to forget her big portrayal in the breakup of Prince Charles and Diana's marriage. we all know that diana's death shook the BRF and threatened the monarchy. any news of marriage between camilla and prince charles would nail everything down to the ground. that's a very unwise move.

camilla's entrance to the monarchy has always been on the agenda, the major question back then was when. and when it came, everything's history.

what, i think people, search for kate is the sense of responsility, charisma, and natural poise (not really something you could buy by hiring stylists). something she could be distinguished with. and not be like another spoiled, pampered royal someday who loves the all the fun and the excitement.

Next:
yes, she's still not a royal. but hasn't she invested a lot of her time and money improving her fashion sense, securing her relationship with her boyfriend, and earning friendship with the rich and the famous? so, i dont think there would be any problem for her doing worthy things so she could grow career-wise, too, like her boyfriend.

investing on her part may be risky for her since they aren't yet married. but she alrady did, hasnt she? Investing on something worthy so there would be something she could fall back on in case they broke up. (not that i want it to)

She has her education and her parents' money and business to "fall back on" if her romance with William doesn't work out, which I think is academic, but who knows? Her future is pretty bright either way. She's attractive, apparently has smarts and is likeable, from all accounts of former school friends and teachers who knew her personally.

Luv2Cruise said:
She has her education and her parents' money and business to "fall back on" if her romance with William doesn't work out, which I think is academic, but who knows? Her future is pretty bright either way. She's attractive, apparently has smarts and is likeable, from all accounts of former school friends and teachers who knew her personally.

While you're absolutely right that she can fall back on her parents' money, I have to ask if that is really something admirable. I mean, on these boards, we often criticise the royals who do very little work, and people like Paris Hilton seem to get rather a lot of ribbing for simply living off inherited money. It interests me to see so many people practically applaud her for a rather listless existance. I can't help but think that regardless of whom one dates or how much money one has to fall back on, work initiatve is an admirable quality. Kate may in fact be working for her parents, as has often been mentioned, or may been taking some time off, who's to say. However, if she is not working at all, while that is certainly her right and perogative, it hardly impresses me.

Kate is not getting public funding currently. As long as her parents are willing to support her, who are we to criticize. Paris Hilton gets negative PR not for living off inherited money. Whatever her faults are, she does make a lot of money on her own. Since the Civil List has been cut down, there is not much criticizm of minor royals not doing enough engagements since most are not on it any more.

Charisma is a lot like beauty -- it's in the eye of the beholder. For example: I'm an American and many people here talk about the charisma of John and Jacqueline Kennedy in the early sixties. Well, in the southern part of the U. S. where I lived at the time, they were not viewed as charismatic -- John Kennedy was HATED for being a Boston Irish CAtholic, and Jacqueline was viewed as a society bitch who had married for money. And that view of the Kennedys, expressed by my grandparents, was an edited version. There were plenty of people in the Southern US who cheered when he was killed I'm sorry to say.

I really like Kate but I am becoming annoyed seeing her standing around at William's polo matches of late. The reason I liked her so much in the beginning was because she wasn't one of the aristocratic girls hanging around the polo field doing nothing but being a society girl hoping to get William's attention. She is a university graduate. She is smart. I'd like to see her having a life that doesn't look like she is just waiting around for William to ask her to marry him (I'm not saying that's what she's doing but it gives that impression). Marriage is so far off as William has said himself and frankly at any moment he could become smitten with some other girl. You never know.

Laviollette said:
I really like Kate but I am becoming annoyed seeing her standing around at William's polo matches of late. The reason I liked her so much in the beginning was because she wasn't one of the aristocratic girls hanging around the polo field doing nothing but being a society girl hoping to get William's attention. She is a university graduate. She is smart. I'd like to see her having a life that doesn't look like she is just waiting around for William to ask her to marry him (I'm not saying that's what she's doing but it gives that impression). Marriage is so far off as William has said himself and frankly at any moment he could become smitten with some other girl. You never know.

Excellent comment. She seems like a woman who has put all of her eggs in one basket! The basket is Prince Willliam.

Laviollette said:

I understand the point you're making but under the circumstances, aren't the polo matches the few times Kate and William have the opportunity to see each other? It's not like William's playing polo 24/7. He has officer training and what not. When he's off the field, who knows what Kate might be doing?

soCal girl said:
I understand the point you're making but under the circumstances, aren't the polo matches the few times Kate and William have the opportunity to see each other? It's not like William's playing polo 24/7. He has officer training and what not. When he's off the field, who knows what Kate might be doing?
Excellent point soCal girl!:p We really have no idea what she does when William is at Sandhurst.

Laviollette said:

Actually, she was standing around at polo matches before there was a "William and Kate" from several pictures I seen when they were both at university. In addition, William probably like's to see her there because it is about the only time time outside of Sandhurst they can see each other and he is doing something that he likes to do and with his girl nearby. She may also enjoy watching him play and he may like her watching him play, especially should he have a great scoring run. She may be more visible now that they are 'out of the dating closet'.:neutral:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom