The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Courtier

I don't know that I'm 'pro-Kate' at all. I really know very little about her, except her name.

However, I don't know how much she costs the UK taxpayer and how much the prince and his father pay for her themselves.

My opinion remains: until Kate becomes engaged then the public has no right to have expectations of her. If, being so close to the heir to the throne is costly, then that's the price, I think, of having a royal family.

Best,

Polly

Old 11-22-2006, 07:43 PM

And I agree. She needs security, so give her security and I'll pay for it but then she becomes eligible for criticism just as any of the other family members do. She can't have her cake and eat it.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Courtier

The above post seems to have ended up in two places. So sorry. I don't know how this happened. Please forgive someone not yet totally au fait with the board.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
As for holding our comments till then, I for one am thoroughly enjoying all this discussion about someone about whom we know virtually nothing.
:w00t2: :punk:
Politically and socially correct is seriously overrated! Comment on her, criticize her, gossip about her, it's all good! How much can it bother her even if she drops in by accident surfing the web and reads our comments? All she would be feeling/thinking is something like: Those losers, so jealous that I got him and they didn't! HAHA in your face, suckers, look at me sooooooo happy with my hottie prince Willy..hehe!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:53 PM

There are some people here who seem to think that those who criticise Kate are somehow jealous. Personally, I think she's dead right for William - she's a dull, boring waste of space with zero personality. I couldn't care less that she's "got him" - hunnie, she's welcome to him, she can strap him to her ass and call him a cushion for all I care but don't expect me to pay for this girl and not be entitled to my say. So she's got money, it obviously hasn't made her any more interesting. She's got all the style and grace of wallpaper paste. Bottom line - she can marry William, she can put a tiara on, she can swan all over the world sulking amongst King and Queens of the world but to me, she'll always be boring and she won't be my Queen. Hell, Helen Keller had more personality than this girl. So she can keep her little Prince Willy because I for one do not give a damn about who he marries or not. But I do care about my money and who it's spent on. I'll pay for William, I'll pay for Kate but as long as I'm paying, I expect to get the goods and I expect to keep the right to criticise those goods.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, I don't know exactly how much she costs us but the point is - she costs us something. Security, Food, Travel, Staff. .
OL BeatrixFan, fair enough. Probably none of us knows exactly how much any of this is costing but is Clarence House paying anything for Kate's security at all? I didn't even know she had a staff for Clarence House to pay for.

Or are you thinking of the incidental uses of the security, food, and staff that the royal family engages on a regular basis and that Kate would have the advantage of just by being around William?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-22-2006, 11:13 PM

The incidiental uses of security, food etc. It all racks up. She has a Clarence House security bod apparantly, she must eat meals when she's there, the staff will have to clean the room she stays in - it might only cost a fiver a week - but it still costs something.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

OK, thanks for explaining. I see your point now.

I thought though that Clarence House declined to pay for her security. If they are paying for security that's on a different level.

As far as the incidentals, I would be hard pressed to deny William and Harry the companionship of their friends, male and female, and any resulting incidentals the friends would cost. I'm sure when Charles was single he had a lot of friends, male and female, over at his place and some of them had to be dreadfully boring. It doesn't mean he married them.

But Charles stayed true to his friends as William and Harry like their respective friends so if the friendships help William to grow into a mature self-confident young man who is ready to take the throne from his father when its time, then I'm all for them. (except maybe for Guy Pelley )

It doesn't necessarily mean that Kate is THE ONE!
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
Haha
Harry is boyfriend's bro, and Tom is the stepbro, so yeah, these scenarios wouldn't be a positive development!
And Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester? That would be just gross, haha!
LOL Yeah, those my thoughts exactly! He's old!
Old 11-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
The incidiental uses of security, food etc. It all racks up. She has a Clarence House security bod apparantly, she must eat meals when she's there, the staff will have to clean the room she stays in - it might only cost a fiver a week - but it still costs something.
Looking at things from this point of view it's hard to disagree. Nevertheless, Kate's not responsible for any of it, in my opinion. As indicated above, it's the end result of sustaining a royal family and her being important to the Heir. And in consideration of your earlier remarks pertaining to Princess Beatrice's boyfriend, would you agree that the difference might be that the Princess isn't likely to ever become monarch?

I can't see that Kate justifies the tag 'dull', either. From the little I know of her, she seems a pleasant and ordinary young woman, who's well-educated, and seems sensible and attractive enough. I think it a credit to William that his fancy seems to have alighted on a seemingly nice girl when the temptations for him must be very great indeed.

Let's just wish them well in the interim and hope that they'll be happy together in the longer term if it's in their stars. Until then, Kate should be given as much protection as she needs and as much freedom as she desires. Well, so I think.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The Royal Protection Unit do not, IMO, provide her with security. The 'minders' you see with her appear to be from a private company. If Prince Charles, Prince William or her own parents have decided to pay for security, then it is nothing to do with taxpayers.

Clarence House security is paid for by the taxpayer but, they are not normally used as 'minders', they are two different animals.

Do we even have any evidence that she stays at CH? All I can find is newspaper reports that say they think she may stay there, occasionally. If she stays, cleaning does not come into it, unless she is a very dirty girl. The rooms after all are cleaned everyday and sheets changed more than once a week!

UK taxpayers do not pay for Charles' (Camilla, William, Harry, etc) everyday food, that is paid for out of Charles' profit from the Duchy.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
I can't see that Kate justifies the tag 'dull', either. From the little I know of her, she seems a pleasant and ordinary young woman, who's well-educated, and seems sensible and attractive enough. I think it a credit to William that his fancy seems to have alighted on a seemingly nice girl when the temptations for him must be very great indeed.
I agree Polly! I certainly don't want an 'exciting, always in the press (normally for the wrong reasons) potential princess.

If they get engaged, if they marry, I hope they will both continue to be well mannered, well behaved, non celebrities!
Old 11-23-2006, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
So she can keep her little Prince Willy because I for one do not give a damn about who he marries or not. But I do care about my money and who it's spent on. I'll pay for William, I'll pay for Kate but as long as I'm paying, I expect to get the goods and I expect to keep the right to criticise those goods.
Interestingly enough I think this is exactly why William does not announce his engagement and said that he won't marry before he is 27. 27 is IIRC the age when he is finished with his militarian duties? It makes sense that a man would want to enjoy his marriage and not be away on military duty all the time. It makes sense that a girl would want to enjoy the freedom of not being a princess if being a princess means that the whole world is looking constantly at her stomach for the first signs of a pregnancy (and discussing that topic in the media and Forums) while her princely husband is not even there to impregnate her.

I don't think William will back out for any reason of his military duty as he sees it as his duty on being the heir of the Heir. But the public will wait for him to create his own heir once he is married. Probably he will want to create his own heir and setting up his nursery,too, once he got married. It's a bit about being male, I guess: why should the prince prove his masculine value as a soldier and make it possible at the same time for people to doubt his masculinity because there is no child? Why should he prove both and not being there for his first child? So it is better to wait with the marriage till there is the right time for him to devote himself to his family.

He has nothing to gain but his future wife has all to loose if they should marry before he has the time for a proper marriage. Let me remind you of the Andrew and Sarah-debacle and the reasons Sarah gave for it in her autobiography... "I was so alone", she claimed, "not longer free, but not really married at the same time, as Andrew was away on military duty most of the time." (Something along these lines, I don't have the book here to look up the proper quotes). Wouldn't Catherine Elizabeth Middleton be stupid to get into such a scrape only to make sure she has secured her prince? Wouldn't any young woman with a bit of inner independence enjoy her relationship with William on hoping something might come out of it, while still using her privileges as a "normal" citizen?

I don't see any reason at all for William and Catherine to announce their betrothal anytime soon. Once they are betrothed, the countdown to the wedding is there. And after that we would have a Prince William, the soldier, and a "single" Princess William visiting hospitals etc. in order to pay for her princess goodies... Okay, once in a while we'd get to see them together at various balconies... But why should eg Prince Felipe of Spain or Prince Frederick of Denmark or Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands enjoy their family on raising their kids while Princess William is acting single mom for the next-in-line most of the time?

Sorry, I'm not so desperate for yet another princess on the balcony to find this scenary soemthing to look forward to.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 PM

BeatrixFan, I didn't mean to imply everyone is jealous. I am not jealous of William's girlfriends, ever. Maybe I was ages ago when I was 18 (haha, am I aging myself?) But now I am over my little crush on the guy, and over time he has lost a lot of allure for me. I agree with you that he can be very boring, and Catherine fits with him very well in that regard, but I still like him. It's just that I don't like like him anymore.
But I do think Catherine loves him, and she obviously thinks he is a hottie, so she can be expected to think (maybe) that other girls are jealous! And certainly, some of them, maybe a lot of them, are jealous! But you and me, we are the wiser! Yes?
Old 11-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
But now I am over my little crush on the guy, and over time he has lost a lot of allure for me. I agree with you that he can be very boring, and Catherine fits with him very well in that regard, but I still like him. It's just that I don't like like him anymore.
Now CasiraghiTrio, we all know you send him 100's of letters ever week, saying pick me, pick me....

It is more than possible to like someone without 'fancying' them.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
(snip)It makes sense that a man would want to enjoy his marriage and not be away on military duty all the time. It makes sense that a girl would want to enjoy the freedom of not being a princess if being a princess means that the whole world is looking constantly at her stomach for the first signs of a pregnancy (and discussing that topic in the media and Forums) while her princely husband is not even there to impregnate her.
Great post. I agree with all of it but have only quoted a bit for reference.

I said something similar a while ago, but nowhere near as eloquently.

I think they are enjoying their relationship with the relative freedom they have at the moment.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I think they are enjoying their relationship with the relative freedom they have at the moment.
Excellent point. It's interesting (or maybe sad) to think that perhaps someday they may look back on this period as their carefree and private days.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
There are some people here who seem to think that those who criticise Kate are somehow jealous. Personally, I think she's dead right for William - she's a dull, boring waste of space with zero personality. I couldn't care less that she's "got him" - hunnie, she's welcome to him, she can strap him to her ass and call him a cushion for all I care but don't expect me to pay for this girl and not be entitled to my say. So she's got money, it obviously hasn't made her any more interesting. She's got all the style and grace of wallpaper paste. Bottom line - she can marry William, she can put a tiara on, she can swan all over the world sulking amongst King and Queens of the world but to me, she'll always be boring and she won't be my Queen. Hell, Helen Keller had more personality than this girl. So she can keep her little Prince Willy because I for one do not give a damn about who he marries or not. But I do care about my money and who it's spent on. I'll pay for William, I'll pay for Kate but as long as I'm paying, I expect to get the goods and I expect to keep the right to criticise those goods.
but we know so little of her, how can you say she has zero personality?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:13 PM

Based on what I see of her. Pictures don't tell me her blood type and her view on Israel but they do show me a girl who appears to do only three things;

1) Sulk
2) Sulk at Polo
3) Sulk whilst Shopping

Now, if she's not like that, fine. But I can only go on what she shows me and that's all she's shown me. She doesn't do anything interesting or exciting. She's just incredibly boring and doesn't give out any signs of a dazzling personality.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

The way you go on about her sulking, you'd think she never smiles. Haven't you seen photos of her smiling, or does that count as a variety of sulk?

Tags
career, kate middleton, prince william