The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #301  
Old 11-22-2006, 04:04 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,395
It's a relief we're no longer debating Anglo-US relations (and Diana!), but now we've passed through the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Commonwealth Prime Ministers, and Camilla, it's time to get back to Kate (aka Catherine) as Wills' (aka William) significant other.

Tidying up (more like mopping the blood off the floor):
Several posts that continued that debate after Avalon's Moderator warning have been removed, and the posts discussing the Saxe-Coburg ancestry have been moved over to the Germans? thread.

Warren
British Forums moderator
__________________

__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
  #302  
Old 11-22-2006, 04:53 AM
HRH Kimetha's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Arlington, United States
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
It's a relief we're no longer debating Anglo-US relations (and Diana!), but now we've passed through the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Commonwealth Prime Ministers, and Camilla, it's time to get back to Kate (aka Catherine) as Wills' (aka William) significant other.

Tidying up (more like mopping the blood off the floor):
Several posts that continued that debate after Avalon's Moderator warning have been removed, and the posts discussing the Saxe-Coburg ancestry have been moved over to the Germans? thread.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Dog-gone it!!! That's what I get!!! I need to spend more time here in the forum!! I must have missed a great British & American debate!
__________________

__________________
  #303  
Old 11-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
catherine may be getting a huge amount of media attention but no one is under any obligation to buy or read any of it so it i never understand it when people say that someone is being "pushed down our throats". as for her getting a free ride, unless any of us have first hand knowledge of who pays her way then we can't make a statement like that.
Spot on! Catherine does not appear to 'court' any attention from the media or the public, so it is hardly her fault if the media tries to pander to those who want every detail of her life. It's not as if she has secret meetings with them or asks anyone to let them know what she is up to. Her minders are unlikely to be from the RP unit, so it could be that her parents, Charles or William are paying for them. If that is the case, then it is none of our business.

If someone doesn't like her, doesn't have any interest in her, then don't buy/read any of the tiny snippets that come up. There is a strange little button on the tv/remote control that turns the tv off, if anyone doesn't like her, they could always try pushing it!
__________________
  #304  
Old 11-22-2006, 11:21 AM
politikgirl's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 233
I have no problems with Kate not having a full-time job, going shopping and all the other things that people seem to have such an issue with. However, I have to say that the news about her flying to South Africa to celebrate the birthday of Sir Richard Branson's son is something that doesn't impress me. It's one thing to be a privileged person who may not have a job right now but can still afford to go shopping... this isn't too far removed from reality. It's another thing to be jet-setting around the world celebrating celebrity birthdays - it just seems to scream "I live the life of a celebrity" - which may not be the kind of image Kate wants to project as the girlfriend of Prince William. She's been so good with preserving her image as an appropriate and "normal" girlfriend that I hate to see her throw it away with the celebrity jet-set lifestyle that this incident may suggest she is adopting. But then again, maybe this is a one-time thing.

Just my opinion though. I like Kate a lot and defend her to all the haters, but this incident makes her a little harder to defend.
__________________
  #305  
Old 11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
TonyaR's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: *, United States
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by politikgirl
I have no problems with Kate not having a full-time job, going shopping and all the other things that people seem to have such an issue with. However, I have to say that the news about her flying to South Africa to celebrate the birthday of Sir Richard Branson's son is something that doesn't impress me. It's one thing to be a privileged person who may not have a job right now but can still afford to go shopping... this isn't too far removed from reality. It's another thing to be jet-setting around the world celebrating celebrity birthdays - it just seems to scream "I live the life of a celebrity" - which may not be the kind of image Kate wants to project as the girlfriend of Prince William. She's been so good with preserving her image as an appropriate and "normal" girlfriend that I hate to see her throw it away with the celebrity jet-set lifestyle that this incident may suggest she is adopting. But then again, maybe this is a one-time thing.

Just my opinion though. I like Kate a lot and defend her to all the haters, but this incident makes her a little harder to defend.
Holly Branson isn't a celebrity per se. She's the daughter of a very rich man, not a Hollywood actress. As a matter of fact, I understand that Holly is well on her way to becoming a pediatrician?
Anyway, Kate has flown to South Africa with a group of people to attend Holly's birthday celebrations. That doesn't necessarily translate into 'I want to live the life of a celebrity'. It seems to me it screams: 'I'm attending a party I was invited to attend'
(no offense meant, Politikgirl )
__________________
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, ..stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
~Christopher Robin to Pooh
(A.A. Milne)
  #306  
Old 11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaR
Holly Branson isn't a celebrity per se. She's the daughter of a very rich man, not a Hollywood actress. As a matter of fact, I understand that Holly is well on her way to becoming a pediatrician?
Anyway, Kate has flown to South Africa with a group of people to attend Holly's birthday celebrations. That doesn't necessarily translate into 'I want to live the life of a celebrity'. It seems to me it screams: 'I'm attending a party I was invited to attend'
(no offense meant, Politikgirl )
Sammie is sort of a celeb though, being a model. Holly is too, I guess in her own way. I guess she is a quasi-celeb, albeit a very 'normal' one. Her very rich man of a father has made an art of using publicity in key ways to promote the Virgin brand, so I suppose that qualifies as 'celebrity' of a sort.
It's fine, though, for Catherine to jet to South Africa for the birthday. It doesn't bother me. Chelsy is always jetting back and forth from Cape Town and London, from somewhere to Mozambique or Botswana for safari or lying in the sun. It's nothing new for the royal family or their associations, jetting off to some wealthy playground or other for skiing, windsurfing, and the like.
Besides, I doubt seriously that the Middletons or anyone on Catherine's camp had to pay for it. The Bransons probably gave all guests an all-expenses-covered trip. Being they own an airline, too... nah, I guess the board of directors wouldn't like company planes or funds going to pay for the boss's son's birthday...I don't know.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #307  
Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
Dog-gone it!!! That's what I get!!! I need to spend more time here in the forum!! I must have missed a great British & American debate!
Yeah, I missed out on all that fun too! Poor mod squad, having to mop up our messy, sticky debates all the time!
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #308  
Old 11-22-2006, 12:33 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
You guys are so funny.

I don't have a problem with Kate's life being more privileged than mine or seeing examples of it from time to time. I don't have the money or free time to jet off to South Africa all the time but I do have the means to fly there on vacation once in awhile which is more than a lot of people can do.

I think like most people that visit these forums, I have much less money than a lot of people in the world and I have much more money than a lot of other people in the world. Its all a matter of where people decide to put their focus-on what they have or on what others have and they don't.

The only thing that a trip like that would detract from my opinion of Kate is if it were in some way irresponsible but if she has the money and everybody behaves themselves, I see no harm.

Actually now that I think of it, I don't think it would be a good idea if Richard Branson paid for Kate's trip.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #309  
Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Actually now that I think of it, I don't think it would be a good idea if Richard Branson paid for Kate's trip.
Really? Even if he did it for all the guests, not just her? I thought it was common for these types of international-jet-set parties/weddings, to have the guests accommodated and transported by the host, no?
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #310  
Old 11-22-2006, 02:55 PM
afro1920's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tallahassee, United States
Posts: 48
For me, it isn't about whether she jets off to a party, works for a living or walks around with a permanent sulk. To me, it matters that she treats people right, that she isn't on drugs or sleeping with every Tom, Dick and Harry (irony, because if she was sleeping with Harry that's a serious problem outside of royalty issues because that's the man's brother, lol) But seriously, the young woman just needs to behave with common human dignity and not get her nose too dirty. For her part, she has to realize that the man she's dating is in line for the most prestigious sitting monarchy in the world. She has to know that people will continue to monitor her actions. It's just reality. If she is a strong, intelligent person, then she'll come through it okay despite the hardships and tests. I'm glad they are taking their time to find out if she can. Better that than a divorce, which is hard for anyone, royal or not.
__________________
  #311  
Old 11-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by politikgirl
It's one thing to be a privileged person who may not have a job right now but can still afford to go shopping... this isn't too far removed from reality. It's another thing to be jet-setting around the world celebrating celebrity birthdays - it just seems to scream "I live the life of a celebrity"
It must be very difficult for her, these are her friends and if they decide to have their party in another country, what is she going to do.

She has a lot more money at her disposal than most people, but, it is not as if she is constantly doing 'celebrity' style things like Paris Hilton or even TPT.
I don't begrudge her a trip out with her friends, I know of dozens of youngsters who go abroad to party.
__________________
  #312  
Old 11-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by afro1920
For me, it isn't about whether she jets off to a party, works for a living or walks around with a permanent sulk. To me, it matters that she treats people right, that she isn't on drugs or sleeping with every Tom, Dick and Harry (irony, because if she was sleeping with Harry that's a serious problem outside of royalty issues because that's the man's brother, lol) But seriously, the young woman just needs to behave with common human dignity and not get her nose too dirty. For her part, she has to realize that the man she's dating is in line for the most prestigious sitting monarchy in the world. She has to know that people will continue to monitor her actions. It's just reality. If she is a strong, intelligent person, then she'll come through it okay despite the hardships and tests. I'm glad they are taking their time to find out if she can. Better that than a divorce, which is hard for anyone, royal or not.
Well said! I agree with you (especially about Harry ).

I see no problem at all with her travelling overseas to a friend's party. She has the means to do it. It doesn't matter to me whether Sir Richard pays or her parents do. Her parents worked hard and have done very well, and if they want to spend their money making their daughter's life comfortable, that's their right and her good fortune. And Sir Richard runs an airline so it's no problem for him to transport friends to parties.
__________________
  #313  
Old 11-22-2006, 05:00 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by afro1920
she isn't on drugs or sleeping with every Tom, Dick and Harry (irony, because if she was sleeping with Harry that's a serious problem outside of royalty issues because that's the man's brother, lol)
Haha
Harry is boyfriend's bro, and Tom is the stepbro, so yeah, these scenarios wouldn't be a positive development!
And Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester? That would be just gross, haha!
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #314  
Old 11-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 656
I suspect that this view will probably not be popular, but until Kate becomes, officially, part of her prince's life, the public has no right to have any expectations of her at all. If she were his fiancee, then things would be different, but she remains a private citizen who owes nothing to anyone, as yet. Let's just enjoy the fact that she and William seem happy and hold our comments until something more develops, if it does.
__________________
  #315  
Old 11-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Duchess's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: xx, Canada
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Although we now know that the Commonwealth countries were fed info that just wasn't true and made their decision on that info. Had they been honest, Wallis would have been Queen.
i totally agree with that.
__________________
Duchess
  #316  
Old 11-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
I suspect that this view will probably not be popular, but until Kate becomes, officially, part of her prince's life, the public has no right to have any expectations of her at all. If she were his fiancee, then things would be different, but she remains a private citizen who owes nothing to anyone, as yet. Let's just enjoy the fact that she and William seem happy and hold our comments until something more develops, if it does.
I think you'll find a number of us here agree that we have no right to have any expectations of her unless and until there is an engagement announcement. Then she would become fair game, but not until then.

As for holding our comments till then, I for one am thoroughly enjoying all this discussion about someone about whom we know virtually nothing.
__________________
  #317  
Old 11-22-2006, 06:32 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Except that she costs the tax-payer already therefore we're quite entitled to criticise this person we know nothing about.
__________________
  #318  
Old 11-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Except that she costs the tax-payer already therefore we're quite entitled to criticise this person we know nothing about.
How much does she cost, and in what capacity?

I'm not sure of the financial arrangements, but she might eat food paid for partly by the taxpayer, or spend time in premises for which security is paid for by the taxpayer, or sit in chairs paid for by the taxpayer.

She is Wiliam's girlfriend, but the RF all have friends, and those friends are as much of a burden on the taxpayer as Kate. I don't see anyone criticising the other friends whose activities may in some little way be paid for by the taxpayer. The RF are entitled to have friends; those friends no doubt make the Royals' lives happier, so I would think this would be a good thing.

Any complaints about the corgis?
__________________
  #319  
Old 11-22-2006, 07:10 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Well, I don't know exactly how much she costs us but the point is - she costs us something. Security, Food, Travel, Staff. It all adds up. Princess Beatrice's boyfriend didn't have all that Kate's been given. Chelsy doesn't have it. So why is she the chosen one that gets all this lot and if I'm paying for her - whether it be a grand or 10 pence - I'll criticise her. And I am paying for her. The Corgi comment was just pointless - Kate costs us more than a corgi and anyway, I'd pay for the Queen to have whatever she wanted. She's my Queen, she's given her loyalty to me my whole life. This girl has done nothing for me. The pro-Kate lot are saying we can't criticise her until we start paying for her - well we're paying for her now so we'll criticise her now.
__________________
  #320  
Old 11-22-2006, 07:16 PM
politikgirl's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 233
Great comments, everyone. I'm convinced by a lot of your comments on Kate flying to the party.

I don't begrudge Kate her prosperity. I go to a university that's populated by tons of well-off people and people like Kate aren't too removed from my reality. While I'm not quite as rich as Paris Hilton (lol), I am well off enough to realize that I'm luckier than a lot of people in the world, so I don't have anything against people who can afford to fly around the world, to parties. I just think that for her own sake, Kate may want to rethink doing this often... not that she has done it often. But just in case this is a sign of something more, I think it might be better for her to remain as low-key as she has in the past. She's done a fairly good job maintaining an "appropriate" lifestyle befitting a future princess, in my humble opinion, and I just don't want to see her doing something that will make the public turn against her. But hey, I can't control Kate, the media or the public, so what can I do? Just wanted to express an opinion.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
career, kate middleton, prince william


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kate Middleton - what does William like about her? Bellefleur Prince Harry and Prince William 136 11-20-2008 04:19 PM
Kate Middleton News and Pictures 2: Sept - Oct 2005 Elspeth Current Events Archive 201 10-20-2005 03:06 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games ottoman poland pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]