The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 11-20-2006, 08:34 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Well, I think the RF are alot more savvy now. They know what works and what doesnt - more to the point, they know who works and who doesn't. I just think that it's a shame they won't go for the obvious answers - pick another Royal. They know what's expected and love can come later just as it always did.
__________________

__________________
  #262  
Old 11-20-2006, 08:42 PM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,350
I think what we are all looking for is evidence that she exists outside of the media spotlight. For all the 'proof of life' even the media has found we could almost be assured that in fact she does not exist at all.

Photographs of Princess Diana working/volunteering? at a Daycare Centre as well as well documented trips down Sloan Square with her fellow Sloan Rangers was at least 'something'.

Sophie had a job which, lets face it, was killed by her marriage into 'The Firm'. But at least she had a life.

Likewise photographs of Camilla in her role of country wife and mother were also 'something'. Wellies, headscarfs, children, who cares. She had a life before marrying the POW.

With Kate we have nothing except media fodder, which lets face it, may very well be total fabrication. We've all seen it.....old photos recycled to create new stories etc.

It's not whether or not she has a job..... it's whether or not she actually is!
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #263  
Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 AM
TonyaR's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: *, United States
Posts: 328
It seems as if the point is being missed here.
Kate (Catherine) Middleton very well may not be employed at all. If she is not, she will not be the first nor the last young woman in her age group and financial status to live comfortably without working.

The point is that if she is currently living the life of a socialite, that's perfectly fine. Catherine Middleton does not have to answer to the public. Princess William (wife of Prince William) will most certainly be answerable to the public.

She can date prince William for 10 years, but until or unless they get engaged, her time is her own and her life is her own.

If they get engaged, that will be the time to watch her and see what she does. That's when she has to be accountable.

It seems that some people feel that she should either be gainfully employed or spending her time pursuing charitable endeavours. It's a great idea, and if she were a royal princess she should most certainly be expected to be doing something of that nature at this point in her life.

But she is not a royal princess. She isn't obligated to perform public duties or to serve the people. She is not obligated to be useful or to show herself to be a 'worthwhile' human being.

Also, we really don't know what she does with her time, and it's not our business anyway. We can postulate and speculate, but Catherine is entitled to her privacy.
Aside from the fact that it's none of our business, I think it's very silly for any reasonable adult person to assume that young woman spends every single day of her life either shopping or vacationing or sitting in a flat.

I don't believe there are people who actually think the only times she comes out of her home are the days which are documented in photos, and that she stays indoors all the other times. (as if she were a doormouse! )

If we subtract all of the days accounted for by photos or stories of her shopping and vacationing from the total days in this year so far, she would have been spending the equivalent of about 7 months sitting inside her apartment. Who believes something that silly?!!
__________________
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, ..stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
~Christopher Robin to Pooh
(A.A. Milne)
  #264  
Old 11-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
So you are admitting that Kate does not have a job and has not done much in the 17 months since she graduated from university? If she does not want to work and does not have to work, that is fine.
What if tomorrow a publisher gives out the press information that they are to publish a book by Catherine Middleton? Who's to say how long it takes to write a book? Or that it's not work? Skydragon simply stated that we don't know. And I want to add again that there are occupations which are "work" that can't be seen from outside the windows of a flat. Occupations that give you enough time to spend weekends as you want to spend them, to go out for shopping and parties and, and, and.... There are even university post-degree studies that can be undertaken via mail and email/internet.. So....

We don't know. That's the only fact here. Everything else is mere speculation and shows more of the person speculating and passing judgment than it says something about Catherine Middleton.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #265  
Old 11-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
I think what we are all looking for is evidence that she exists outside of the media spotlight. For all the 'proof of life' even the media has found we could almost be assured that in fact she does not exist at all.

Photographs of Princess Diana working/volunteering? at a Daycare Centre as well as well documented trips down Sloan Square with her fellow Sloan Rangers was at least 'something'.

Sophie had a job which, lets face it, was killed by her marriage into 'The Firm'. But at least she had a life.

Likewise photographs of Camilla in her role of country wife and mother were also 'something'. Wellies, headscarfs, children, who cares. She had a life before marrying the POW.

With Kate we have nothing except media fodder, which lets face it, may very well be total fabrication. We've all seen it.....old photos recycled to create new stories etc.

It's not whether or not she has a job..... it's whether or not she actually is!
I agree with all your points, all but the one about Kate. True, we have nothing with Kate, we know nothing about her, but why should we? If the gril is discreet (and smart) enough not to let any part of her personal life be shown to public and discussed, how could we possibly know what is going in her free time? She's got people around her, who obviously love her enough not to be tempted to be a 'close source' for the media. If we don't know anything about her personal life (apart from the fact she is dating Prince William), it doesn't mean she hasn't got one.

She may be helping in her family buisness, looking after an elderly relative, studying Latin, learning skydiving - she can be doing anything (which includes doing basically nothing), but as long as the people around her keep their mount closed, we are not going to learn about it.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
  #266  
Old 11-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
I'm simply asking a question: are you trying to justify or explain why Kate doesn't work to support herself if in fact she does not? We have no evidence that she works but her supporters continue to say well we don't actually know if she does or not. So, if she's done nothing for the past year and a half, is that okay?
I don't know how much clearer I can make it for you.

I do NOT have a problem with Catherine even IF she has never had to go out to earn a penny to support herself.

I do NOT believe that she sits at home painting her toe nails, spends all her time shopping, going to polo matches etc, etc.

The only thing I find offensive and have a problem with is that some people keep stating as fact, that she does not work.
As I said before, unless you are privy to Catherines private life, or have checkable evidence, you should not pass this off as fact.
__________________
  #267  
Old 11-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Likewise photographs of Camilla in her role of country wife and mother were also 'something'. Wellies, headscarfs, children, who cares. She had a life before marrying the POW.

With Kate we have nothing except media fodder, which lets face it, may very well be total fabrication. We've all seen it.....old photos recycled to create new stories etc.

It's not whether or not she has a job..... it's whether or not she actually is!
Very little was 'seen' or 'heard' about Camilla, in the media or by the general public, before the accusations started. We had a couple of grainy photos when they dated, for a short time, all those years ago.

It took the general public and the media by total surprise when the stories started to surface about Diana's accusations. Even after that, there were very few pictures about, the odd one of her hunting or riding out, shopping, at a polo match, all carefully chosen to show her scowling or looking unattractive. IMO.
They didn't get the ones of her beautifully dressed, at dinner parties, the opera etc, etc, they would not have served their purpose and of course they never knew about any of the events.

Catherine has a life apart from William and the only reason some people are attacking her, is because they can't stand the fact that she is able to live her life in private!
__________________
  #268  
Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaR
Aside from the fact that it's none of our business, I think it's very silly for any reasonable adult person to assume that young woman spends every single day of her life either shopping or vacationing or sitting in a flat.

I don't believe there are people who actually think the only times she comes out of her home are the days which are documented in photos, and that she stays indoors all the other times. (as if she were a doormouse! )

If we subtract all of the days accounted for by photos or stories of her shopping and vacationing from the total days in this year so far, she would have been spending the equivalent of about 7 months sitting inside her apartment. Who believes something that silly?!!
Marvelous piece of common sense!

Sadly some people clearly think that she is existing as a 'doormouse' and only comes out occasionally, to entertain them!
__________________
  #269  
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 AM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I see now you have Kate's best interests in your mind.
I think starring in a few Hollywood (or Bollywood) movies would make a wedding all but certain.
Yeah, about as certain as the Lemonade Plan! Hehe... I guess the Windsors do have a different idea of what's "cool" for their prospective members. It's a shame!
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #270  
Old 11-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego, United States
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I don't know how much clearer I can make it for you.

I do NOT have a problem with Catherine even IF she has never had to go out to earn a penny to support herself.

I do NOT believe that she sits at home painting her toe nails, spends all her time shopping, going to polo matches etc, etc.

The only thing I find offensive and have a problem with is that some people keep stating as fact, that she does not work.
As I said before, unless you are privy to Catherines private life, or have checkable evidence, you should not pass this off as fact.
Maybe you don't have a problem with her doing absolutely nothing but some people do have a problem with it. She is being pushed down our throats as the perfect future queen of england. To say that no one is going to scrutinize her is so naive. She is dating Prince William of Wales! She's gotten a free ride so far and there's nothing wrong with saying that some of us do not want this "socialite" as princess, duchess or queen. We are entitled to our opinion!

And this business with calling her Catherine all of a sudden. She's the one who re-made herself into Kate at SA to be popular and cool and make friends. Now since she's being forced upon us all as future queen we have to endure the new reinvention of her back into Catherine? How convenient and manipulative!
__________________
  #271  
Old 11-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
Now since she's being forced upon us all as future queen we have to endure the new reinvention of her back into Catherine? How convenient and manipulative!
Are you a holder of a British passport? Or why do you feel she is forced upon "us all" - I mean she is never going to be my queen, so I don't feel that way but would she be yours if William asked her to become his wife?
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #272  
Old 11-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego, United States
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Are you a holder of a British passport? Or why do you feel she is forced upon "us all" - I mean she is never going to be my queen, so I don't feel that way but would she be yours if William asked her to become his wife?
As a holder of a United States passport, perhaps I should inform you that the entire BRF is of almost obsessive interest here and that will include the wives of Wills and Harry as it did their mother. Perhaps the Germans or other nationalities don't have quite the same relationship to Great Britain and the U.S. does.

p.s.: I don't want to be questioned about what kind of passport I carry. It doesn't make my opinion any less valid.
__________________
  #273  
Old 11-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
Maybe you don't have a problem with her doing absolutely nothing but some people do have a problem with it. She is being pushed down our throats as the perfect future queen of england. To say that no one is going to scrutinize her is so naive. She is dating Prince William of Wales! She's gotten a free ride so far and there's nothing wrong with saying that some of us do not want this "socialite" as princess, duchess or queen. We are entitled to our opinion!
!
I have not seen anyone except the media pushing Catherine down anyones throat. If someone chooses to be so naive as to believe only what they hear in the media, that is down to them. Others seem to be happy to give her the benefit of the doubt, not everyone needs to know what she is doing 24/7. Until she becomes engaged, if indeed she does, to William, then it is up to her and her family what she does with her time.

There are very few factual articles published about Catherine at all in the UK. Where you live may be different, I don't live there, so would not presume to pass judgement!

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion but, passing it off as fact is more than a little low. The constant attacks on this young woman because you are not privy to what she does makes it sound as if jealousy has taken over from good sense.

Just a rough piece on what a socialite is considered to be and Catherine could not by any stretch of the imagination be called one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socialite
__________________
  #274  
Old 11-21-2006, 11:17 AM
lord_rankin's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit, United States
Posts: 130
Didn't Kate graduate from St. Andrews with a degree in Art History? I thought she and Prince William had been studying similar subjects. If she does decide on a career in Interior design her Art History will be a tremendous asset to her. Not to mention all the people who would pay to say there house was done by Prince William's girlfriend.
__________________
  #275  
Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,905
This thread is for the public expectations of Kate Middleton.
UK-USA relationships, or relationships between any other countries are not the topic of the discussion.
Whatever any individuals feel is only their own, personal view.

Several posts, which were geting too personal, have been removed.
I am sure when we all had a cup of tea or hot chocolate, we can resume the friendly conversation.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
  #276  
Old 11-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
As a holder of a United States passport, perhaps I should inform you that the entire BRF is of almost obsessive interest here and that will include the wives of Wills and Harry as it did their mother. Perhaps the Germans or other nationalities don't have quite the same relationship to Great Britain and the U.S. does.

p.s.: I don't want to be questioned about what kind of passport I carry. It doesn't make my opinion any less valid.
I was only wondering why you should state that she is forced on you. I can easily understand Beatrixfan's strong emotions as he is going to become a subject of a king William eventually but for US-citizens it should be a topic which is interesting but, as it does not involve the duty to recognize William as a future souverain, is positioned on a different level where one could apply more courtesy towards a young girl who has done nothing but dating a prince of a foreign country. IMHO. But "obsessive" is an interesting choice of words in the circumstances.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #277  
Old 11-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Rebafan81's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Akron, United States
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
But you just said that she might not marry William and from what we know (which is very little) either option is possible.

I have to admit you struck upon a pet peeve of mine and that is when the public or the press gets it into their head to demand that a private person do something or make a statement to appease the public and to justify themselves. And the public acts as if they're doing the person a favor, "Oh if you would only do this, we'd like you more so why don't you be sensible and do it?"

Kate does not have to justify herself because she still is a private citizen. As you said she may not marry William. People are free to like or dislike who they want but demanding that they say or act a certain way is too much.
I very much agree with you, if the public is not "paying" for her lifestyle, she is still a private citizen. She should be allowed to conduct herself any way she see fit. Until she puts on his wedding ring and we start to support her, she is intitled to her privacy.
__________________
  #278  
Old 11-21-2006, 01:35 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Well, we are paying for her in a way. The tax-payer is footing the security supplied for and the staff that clean up and look after her when she's at Clarence House. Okay so it's not that much but she is costing us something.
__________________
  #279  
Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
< ed > What Jo is saying (and correct me if I'm wrong Jo) is, you said that Kate was being forced upon you. Well, she won't be your Queen Consort so whilst you don't like her and don't think she's right for William, she isn't being forced upon you - she's being forced upon the British people.
__________________
  #280  
Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego, United States
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
< ed >.What Jo is saying (and correct me if I'm wrong Jo) is, you said that Kate was being forced upon you. Well, she won't be your Queen Consort so whilst you don't like her and don't think she's right for William, she isn't being forced upon you - she's being forced upon the British people.
I said "forced upon us all". It's a figure of speech. Why is Jo so focused on one thing I said? Why is this so personal? Because I disagree in my opinion about Kate? Because I'm American? What?
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
career, kate middleton, prince william


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kate Middleton - what does William like about her? Bellefleur Prince Harry and Prince William 136 11-20-2008 04:19 PM
Kate Middleton News and Pictures 2: Sept - Oct 2005 Elspeth Current Events Archive 201 10-20-2005 03:06 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]