The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:57 PM

Every "celebrity" has a "camp". Kate will have a PR officer who will feed certain things to the media and deny things they print. The Beckhams do it, Kate Moss does it - anyone who is in the media as much as Kate is needs some kind of PR team and they'll certainly put out information in certain ways to the media.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Nobility

No Kate would not have a PR team. The Beckhams and Kate Moss and William have PR people because they need either money or public support. But Kate is a private citizen. Why would she have a PR team promoting her?

Old 11-19-2006, 10:06 PM

As soon as she became a public figure, she'd need a PR team to handle media enquiries. She does have a PR team - that's why we always read, "A spokesperson for Kate Middleton said...." - that spokesperson is Kate's PR manager. PR isn't about promotion. It's about public and media relations.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Nobility

I've never read a "spokesperson for Kate Middleton said". I've heard Clarence House make statements or her "anonymous friends" but I've never read about her having a spokesperson. I apologize if I am incorrect. Do you have an example of this?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 PM

Generally if a story appears, the press over here will put, "A spokesperson for Kate Middleton" if they can't put "A Clarence House Spokesperson". Therefore, we can assume that Kate does have at least one spokesperson she has either employed or just given the charge of dealing with the media.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Nobility

But do you have an example of a story that says that? I've never seen that before. If she had a spokesperson that would say a lot about their relationship and her position. But from what I've seen there has never been an article with a spokesperson for her.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
No serious pursuit of any study is easy or less difficult. I am sure there are hard sciences majors who would be out of their depth in the research and work required in a liberal arts degree and vice versa, including art history. There are liberal arts majors who have the intellect to become doctors, etc., but their interests lie elsewhere.

Psychiatrists are licensed medical doctors who must go through med school and become board certified, who do internships and residencies before they practice.

By this standard J.K. Rowling's English degree would not be as difficult and would be of less merit than a pre-med degree. But challenge the most brilliant doctor or scientist or mathmatician or nuclear physicist to one up the Harry Potter books. It was obvious to me that Rowling was someone who seriously pursued the study of English or literature, not as a rebound degree from pre-med or some other science related field of study.

To disparage a course of study as a "yah" or a throwaway degree because another course of study is perceived to be more difficult is uninformed, to be polite.
I absolutely agree with your post but the intention of my post wasn't to disparage an art history degree.

For a lot of "yah's", through my experience, choose this degree because they have no other interests. It's the generic degree for toff girls who want a good marriage. Art History, receptionist then a glittering marriage. This certainly isn't the case for everyone but it is common enough.

Yes, you're right Skydragon, a receptionist job isn't something that should be looked down upon and of course one must start at the bottom to reach the top but it appears Kate wasn't interested in that. Who knows maybe she's an assistant at some art gallery doing menial jobs, but i somehow doubt it.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Courtier

There's nothing wrong with an Art History degree. There is something wrong with wasting that degree by not getting up off your tush and finding a job but instead shopping it away like Kate Middleton.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I sincerely hope William, of all people, would not allow such "pressure" to influence him in any way at all in making a decision about whether or not to propose to Kate.

I hope not either as it would be a sign that he allows such outside influence to make his decisions for him. I don't think either one of them are really ready for marriage because they probably just enjoy being in each other's company. A marriage and then a child may complicate things when a couple is learning the art of marriage. Maybe they should wait until William is in a position that his duties as military officer and future monarch is ironed out and stabilized. It would allow more time for the relationship to undergo more maturation and growth.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by regardez
I doubt there is a "camp Middleton" that spins information to the media.
They're spinning alright, trying to explain why Kate doesn't have a job. Imho, camp Middleton are also spinning the fact that William has not proposed to her, which she has clearly been waiting for, what with putting her life on hold for 17 months and all. Someone's leaking to the media that she really doesn't want to get married right now, that she would be pressured to have children right away like CP Mary and CP Mette Marit, who in fact did not get pregnant right away. There is no wedding in the near future so Miss Middleton should find something to do.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
They're spinning alright, trying to explain why Kate doesn't have a job. Imho, camp Middleton are also spinning the fact that William has not proposed to her, which she has clearly been waiting for, what with putting her life on hold for 17 months and all. Someone's leaking to the media that she really doesn't want to get married right now, that she would be pressured to have children right away like CP Mary and CP Mette Marit, who in fact did not get pregnant right away. There is no wedding in the near future so Miss Middleton should find something to do.
I bet she is doing something. No one really knew what Mary Donaldson was up to in the pre-engagement years. Then after the announcement there was an explosion of information all about the future Queen of Denmark. I guess the Palace has their ways of protecting these things until such time as they are ready to reveal it. We underestimate the Palace. With the right persuasions and negociations, they can keep the press quiet on some matters. Who knows, maybe they cut a deal: Keep quiet on her job and we'll give you a big surprise...like....we're not saying it, but like a an annoucement of some kind, and you'll have front row seats...hmm... Also, look how well William concealed his romantic relationships of past. The press didn't know, or release the knowledge, about Arabella until two years after the fact. And no one to this day knows the real story about Jecca. It's all "well, the prince allegedly pursued Miss Craig..." or "the prince was said to have a fling with Miss Craig..." or "he was said to invite Miss Craig to Highgrove..." It's all just a hundred ways of saying they don't know what the heck is going on!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
The fad at the moment in the UK is to take psychology, social studies and the like, which, even by the uni's, are considered to be the easy option.
These are just a few of the articles raising the same point.
http://www.melaniephillips.com/articles-new/?p=355
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/879953.stm
http://education.guardian.co.uk/stud...546139,00.html
Weird. I never thought of psychology as an "easy option"
degree. I think some incoming lower level university students choose it hoping it will be easier than the pre-med course, but they tend to realize quickly that psychology is not a joke at all.
All fields of study are worthy in their own ways. As I said, I don't knock art history. That would be silly, or stupid, for a future historian to do, wouldn't it?

But I still feel that some fields and expertise tend to be a dime a dozen. Look how many history majors there are at every university, at least in the US, it is unreal. And then look at how many physics majors drop out in the first year.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
but they tend to realize quickly that psychology is not a joke at all.
Especially since it's someone's mental and emotional health at stake. I doubt any student wants to live with the thought of screwing up someone's sanity because they goofed off in psyche class. Not to mention they learn about serial killers and how their brains function. I believe that law enforcement officers rely on these people (professional psychiatrists) to help them figure out the minds and also the resultant methodology of the killer that helps them profile and eventually capture the killer.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't begin to imagine the weight of the situation for Kate, and nor would I wish too.

Whatever she chooses to do, I wish her all the best and if she does become HRH Princess William then I will be pleased for them both
Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu An
Especially since it's someone's mental and emotional health at stake. I doubt any student wants to live with the thought of screwing up someone's sanity because they goofed off in psyche class. Not to mention they learn about serial killers and how their brains function. I believe that law enforcement officers rely on these people (professional psychiatrists) to help them figure out the minds and also the resultant methodology of the killer that helps them profile and eventually capture the killer.
I've noticed some posters seem to be speaking of psychologists and psychiatrists as though they are the same critter. I wonder if this is due to some difference between our education systems.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
There's nothing wrong with an Art History degree. There is something wrong with wasting that degree by not getting up off your tush and finding a job but instead shopping it away like Kate Middleton.
I'm of the view that no degree is wasted. I believe in education for the sake of education. A degree not only provides knowledge, but it trains the mind to think and process information in an ordered fashion, and to form opinions and express them clearly and logically.

An Art History degree will have provided Kate with a wealth of information about history and geography and information storage and retrieval and business management. And for a well brought up gel like Kate who just may find herself married to a prince or someone who moves in such circles, the degree will have equipped her with lots of knowledge that will be very useful for conversation with the scores of foreign heads of state and others she is likely to find herself sitting next to at dinner tables over the years.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And for a well brought up gel like Kate who just may find herself married to a prince or someone who moves in such circles, the degree will have equipped her with lots of knowledge that will be very useful for conversation with the scores of foreign heads of state and others she is likely to find herself sitting next to at dinner tables over the years.
I have always believed that people have a very great tendency to mistake a 'superior education' for a 'superior intellect'.

It's not the degree that counts ..... it's what you do with it. If it's sole purpose is as another rung on the ladder of sucess to her ambition of becoming 'Princess' it was indeed an unworthy pursuit. If however it gains her the superficial aura of intelligence and charm then shame on us for being suckered.

If you don't have to work (and Lord know I would love to be in that position) I would still have to do something! I have heaps of things I could do just because I could, I had the time and others don't. Advanced shopping 101 doesn't cut it.

Just being cute/adorable and making William happy reminds me of another woman who 'would be Princess' (not to mention Queen).

The jury is still out.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
I have always believed that people have a very great tendency to mistake a 'superior education' for a 'superior intellect'.
Amen to that!
Quote:
If you don't have to work (and Lord know I would love to be in that position) I would still have to do something! I have heaps of things I could do just because I could, I had the time and others don't. Advanced shopping 101 doesn't cut it.
That is the problem, everyone seems to believe that if you don't go out to work, you don't do anything! In the majority of cases, this is simply not true!

The poor girl has been photographed a dozen (if that) times shopping and at a few polo matches, that's all and some people are using these few occasions to condemn her. How many times do any of you shop on a day off or in your lunch break. How many of you work at the weekend and get a day off in the week, instead?
As I said in a previous post, she may have her own business (no the press would not necessarily have the name of the company or the details).

We don't know what she does and to hang, draw and quarter her on the evidence we have so far is wrong, to say the least!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I've noticed some posters seem to be speaking of psychologists and psychiatrists as though they are the same critter. I wonder if this is due to some difference between our education systems.
I was also wondering if it is because we are talking of two different education systems. It is accepted here that degrees in some subjects are not as 'demanding' as others and even some unis do not carry the same prestige.

I would add that in the UK, it is unusual to go to see a psychologist or psychiatrist without a referral from a GP and as such is not, IMO, thought of in the same high esteem, that they seem to be thought of in the USA.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Commoner

Personally, I wouldn't want Wills to marry anyone right now. He has much to learn about being a King. Although no one is promised tomorrow, he shouldn't be pressured to marry. Also, why would he ask someone to marry him when everyone is looking into his business? Another thing, if this girl's family is rich, then there is no need for her to work if she is being supported.

Tags
career, kate middleton, prince william