The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@InvictusLondon: Pippa Middleton, joined by Peter & Autumn Phillips, and her brother James, supporting the #InvictusGames #IAM http://t.co/wS9mmcl98h

@ppseluk: Awesome time @InvictusLondon #SupportOurTroops http://t.co/NfIwAuhVt5

@ppseluk: Unbelievable atmosphere @InvictusLondon. Very proud of Harry and all the guys and girls taking part. #copperboxarena #SupportOurTroops

@InvictusLondon: Pippa Middleton, joined by Peter & Autumn Phillips, and her brother James, supporting the #InvictusGames #IAM http://t.co/wS9mmcl98h
@ppseluk: Awesome time @InvictusLondon #SupportOurTroops http://t.co/NfIwAuhVt5
@ppseluk: Unbelievable atmosphere @InvictusLondon. Very proud of Harry and all the guys and girls taking part. #copperboxarena #SupportOurTroops
That first photo is a stunner!

The Invictus Games: September 10-14, 2014

We really need a Standing Ovation smilie/emoticon for certain times around here and this is one of those times!!

Well Done Your Royal Highness!! Harry, you pulled it off and then some!!

Granny, Granpa and Dad must all be in danger of sending people around them diving for cover in case of buttons flying off clothing due to chests rightfully puffed out in pride. :D

Anyone who saw the Closing Ceremonies...What did Bryan Adams perform? There's two songs he's written over the years concerning never forgetting what our Vets and the Fallen have done for us, so just wondering if it was one of them or something else.

I read at the BBC that the US wants to host in 2015 and Canada in 2016, so there's interest to keep the Games going. Here's hoping, as from reading the piece on Stephane Moreau at the Official Site, I have the feeling an awful lot of healing took place just by these incredible Men and Women being around other people dealing w/the exact same things and who understand instantly...

IMO that legacy will outlast the shine of those Medals for years to come.

Yes...Well Done Harry indeed!! :D :D :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
As the focus inevitably moves elsewhere; through the work of our Foundation, William and I will continue to draw attention to the challenges facing all those leaving the armed forces, whether wounded or not, to ensure they can do so with purpose, with hope and with confidence.
Nice to highlight the work of the Royal Foundation | Royal Foundation

This was the headline from the Mail On-Line

I was completely over the moon': Little girl's delight at being hoisted onto Prince Harry's shoulders so she could see the bands at the Invictus Games closing ceremony
Isabelle Nixon, five, was left upset after being unable to see the stage
Adam Nixon, 31, had earlier captained Team GB to victory in basketball
Prince Harry spotted the little girl and swung her onto his shoulders
The royal then stayed and danced with Isabelle for the rest of the evening
Her soldier father lost his left leg following an IED blast in Basra in 2004
By RUTH STYLES FOR MAILONLINE

The rest of the story is on-line. This is a heart warming story.

Prince Harry is presenting an award to competitors of the Invictus Games for outstanding achievement at the Sports' Personality of the Year Awards.

Well bear in mind things like the Olympics and commonwealth games only happen every 4 years. It must be a massive logistical thing to organise especially if its not going to be in the same place every time and that will need time to make sure it's done properly. I don't think it's anything to worry about

Well bear in mind things like the Olympics and commonwealth games only happen every 4 years. It must be a massive logistical thing to organise especially if its not going to be in the same place every time and that will need time to make sure it's done properly. I don't think it's anything to worry about
True, true. Biannual might be better then! Although they fixed that one in 6 months I don't think they wan't to do that again :p

They used a lot of the same locations and arenas from the London 2012 Olympics but if they want to host it somewhere else that will take longer to plan etc so a longer wait it probably sensible.

BIDDING PROCESS OPEN FOR ASPIRING HOSTS OF FUTURE INVICTUS GAMES | INVICTUS GAMES

Actually having looked at the Invictus Games website itself it says there will be games in Spring 2016 and Summer 2017 and that the bidding process to host each of those is now started.
It says the break in 2015 is to allow for organisation and to raise funds. This makes sense really given its gone from a one off event to a semi-regular event to be hosted elsewhere I imagine there is alot to plan and prepare behind the scenes to have the organisation in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope Toronto makes a bid for next year and here's why. We'll be fresh off hosting the Pan and Para Pan Am Games and all the facilities will be in place. The only real issue to my thinking would be Accommodations, as the Village for the Pan Ams are to be used for affordable housing afterwards, but w/it being Toronto, I'm sure something can be worked out.

I really do think it would be the perfect place for the second Invictus Games. Will keep my fingers crossed it happens. :)

Invictus Games 2014 ‏@InvictusLondon 4h4 hours ago
We're very excited to announce that the first Invictus Games Foundation Ambassador is @lewishamilton

It is official Orlando in May 2016 for the next games. It's at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex at Walt Disney World.

I wonder how many people who live in the area will make out to Disney for it or will it be tourists who are already there for the parks.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

There will be an overlap in America. It already has the Warrior Games there annually in which British soldiers participate.

I suspect by holding it at Walt Disney World they're hoping for tourists already there to pop in and watch.

It is great news and it has been higly anticipated! Couldn't believe my eyes when i read the tweets this morning!

It is official Orlando in May 2016 for the next games. It's at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex at Walt Disney World.
I wonder how many people who live in the area will make out to Disney for it or will it be tourists who are already there for the parks.

I think it will be a huge regional and fair national draw for general fans of sport. For visitors, the infrastructure and support hotels/restaurants/distractions can't be beaten and there should be no transportation woes. I can imagine busloads of back to school kids on field trips - which would be great for both sides to the fields of competition, depending on pricing of course
IMO we have become a very veteran friendly place and love Harry. We are also finally embracing the disabled as heroes.
Best of all, it should not require a huge outlay of cash for facilities.
And that fact that it is Disney/ESPN affiliated means there will be solid publicity of events. Good choice.
Oh - and I just looked up weather. Sept. Monthly average high/low: 90/73. 6 inches of precip month on average. (32/23 degrees centigrade).

Last edited:
It does sound an excellent choice of venue for these Games. Thanks for the local information, AdmirerUS.

I think it will be a huge regional and fair national draw for general fans of sport. For visitors, the infrastructure and support hotels/restaurants/distractions can't be beaten and there should be no transportation woes. I can imagine busloads of back to school kids on field trips - which would be great for both sides to the fields of competition, depending on pricing of course
IMO we have become a very veteran friendly place and love Harry. We are also finally embracing the disabled as heroes.
Best of all, it should not require a huge outlay of cash for facilities.
And that fact that it is Disney/ESPN affiliated means there will be solid publicity of events. Good choice.
Oh - and I just looked up weather. Sept. Monthly average high/low: 90/73. 6 inches of precip month on average. (32/23 degrees centigrade).
I agree with Curryong! Thank you for the information! :)

And as Harry said in the video. It's an excelent place for a family event :)

The Invictus Games: September 10-14, 2014

It's not in September but in May. The 8th to 12th. Kids are still in school and probably preparing for or taking the standardized test required at the end of the school year.

WDW is easy to get around if you are staying on Disney property but it can be very gridlocked in the tourist areas outside the park and in the international drive area where Universal Studios and Sea World area plus there are tons of toll rolls everywhere.

Last edited:
I wonder if any of the young members of the royal family will make it over to the games?

I wonder if any of the young members of the royal family will make it over to the games?
I thought about that as well. The Queen won't go since she didn't even go to the local one. And Charles and Camilla seems doubtful. But William and Kate miiiight be a possibility.

It would be easy to tie it to a Caribbean tour which is where the rumor for a spring 2016 Cambridge tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom