The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 02:17 AM
Serene Highness

Currently, the no is still leading 185 to the 156 yes votes.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:19 AM
Nobility

193 no
160 yes
so far

Old 08-16-2005, 04:37 AM
Gentry

I'm suprised that she allowed this because she was really restrictive with Charles and the criteria for his future bride. Does anyone know whether she is going to change the law so that if William had a daughter she would be eligible to rule?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirsada
I'm suprised that she allowed this because she was really restrictive with Charles and the criteria for his future bride. Does anyone know whether she is going to change the law so that if William had a daughter she would be eligible to rule?
Nothing prevents a daughter of William from reigning, just like nothing impeded the accession of Elizabeth in 1952... except a brother, or a Catholic husband, or converting to Catholicism.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Courtier

Maybe William and Kate can live like they feel until William has some official responsabilities such as becoming Prince of Wales. Higher responsabilities can often mean that the rules get more strict. It happens when someone is elected to a post of high responsibilities and has to declare all his/her sources of revenu and put the management of his/her companies into a trust for example. It happened to the last General Governer of Canada, Madame Adrienne Clarkson, when she was nominated six years ago.

From the newspaper «LE DEVOIR» of August15, 2005; «Pour obtenir les clés de Rideau Hall, Adrienne Clarkson avait dû convoler en justes noces au préalable avec John Ralston Saul, son conjoint de longue date. Libérée du soupçon de «vivre dans le péché»,...»
Roughly translated: «Before getting the keys of Rideau Hall, Adrienne Clarkson had to marry John Ralston Raul, her longtime companion. Free of any suspicion of living in sins,...»
Old 08-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
I think you meant in the case that William's first child was a daughter?

I think the Queen has realized that some traditions have been harmful to her family and times are changing. To some extent, she's probably already become accustomed to the idea, with Edward living with Sophie and Peter and Zara living with their partners.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Courtier

I don't see what the big deal with them living together is... I understand that she shouldn't be allowed to live in Clarence House rent free at the tax payers expenses, but more people seem to be more upset by the fact that the couple are being allowed to live with one another period. They have lived together for 3 years now, why is everyone so surprised that they wish to carry on this arrangement?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters
I don't see what the big deal with them living together is... I understand that she shouldn't be allowed to live in Clarence House rent free at the tax payers expenses, but more people seem to be more upset by the fact that the couple are being allowed to live with one another period. They have lived together for 3 years now, why is everyone so surprised that they wish to carry on this arrangement?
Excellent point Britters!!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Serene Highness

Where There's a Bill, There's No Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters
I understand that she shouldn't be allowed to live in Clarence House rent free at the tax payers expenses, but more people seem to be more upset by the fact that the couple are being allowed to live with one another period. They have lived together for 3 years now, why is everyone so surprised that they wish to carry on this arrangement?
The problem IMO is that (if that rumor is true, which is still to be proved) she would live in a Royal property. You suggest she would pay a rent, but I don't think so. The Kents pay £64 a week for their apartments in K Palace and are beeing bashed by the press as parasites. If it is expected from her to pay market price, it will be out of price. A mere 2 bedroom flat in this area of London cost several hundred pounds a week, upmarket flats go for several thousand bucks a week, so an apartment in a Royal Palace would go for a of a 5 digits bill a week. Her parents may be OK financially but they are not billionaires, have other kids and I don't think they will pay for her rent. So basically, if she moves in, ether she won't pay anything, or she will pay a bargain price.
Another point is CH is not paid by Charles' income from the Duchy of Cornwall nor by William's inheritance. It's payed by taxpayers. Charles was criticised when Camz moved in because she was not an official member of the family but still enjoyed the Palace and all its staff paid the tax payers.
It would be silly for Kate to expose herself to such criticism. The popular press is nearly lobbying for William to marry her and she is sold as Saint Kate. It would be cleverer for her to have her own apartment and accomplish something in her life by her own, rather then depending on Will at such an early stage of their relationship.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Times change. Perhaps the Queen feels it is better, given the history of her children's marriages, to accept the situation as being better than forcing her grandson to marry someone he doesn't really love for the sake of the throne.

The issue of a first-born daughter taking precedence over a subsequent son in terms of succession to the throne has reportedly been discussed by the "Way Ahead" group of senior royals and their advisors over the years. Since Parliament would have to change the laws of succession, the Queen would have to consult with the Prime Minister to determine whether the majority party is willing to introduce legislation. In my opinion, this is unlikely to happen unless William marries and has a first-born daughter. That would be the opportunity to address the issue.

The controversy with allowing Kate to live openly with William at Clarence House is two-fold. One is the obvious issue of a non-royal receiving the benefit of royal life and protection paid by the British taxpayers without a marriage. The second is the controversy of allowing a future Head of the Church of England to openly "live in sin" in the view of religious conservatives.

We will have to wait and see how this all comes out. No decision has been announced by the Palace or Clarence House, so I would assume the Queen is taking advice on the matter.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The issue of a first-born daughter taking precedence over a subsequent son in terms of succession to the throne has reportedly been discussed by the "Way Ahead" group of senior royals and their advisors over the years.
I think it was already dealt with during the upheaval that resulted with the Charles and DIana divorce; she agreed to pay taxes, decommission the Britannia, and end the precedence men had over females in the succession.

Quote:
The controversy with allowing Kate to live openly with William at Clarence House is two-fold. One is the obvious issue of a non-royal receiving the benefit of royal life and protection paid by the British taxpayers without a marriage. The second is the controversy of allowing a future Head of the Church of England to openly "live in sin" in the view of religious conservatives.
Exactly. Furthermore I mentioned on another board that Kate seems determined to pin him down as much as possible. By moving into Clarence House she also gives Will more power over her. She will have to put up with anything, since she's living there at his sufferance. If she has her own place, if they bicker she can afford to say "Go to Hell" and she won't be under his control more. As for William, a separate establishment will allow him much needed space and privacy. If he wants to invite female friends over for an evening then he will be able to without Kate possibly spying on him or freaking out.

Quote:
The Kents pay £64 a week for their apartments in K Palace and are beeing bashed by the press as parasites.
Which in a sense is unfair since they ARE relatives of the Queen herself. I think Charles needs to stop letting them guilt trip him and firmly put his foot down. William is behaving more like a regular spoiled rich kid and needs to seriously begin fulfilling duties and setting an example. He's graduated and now is time for him to start performing in ceremonies and working.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Her parents may be OK financially but they are not billionaires, have other kids and I don't think they will pay for her rent. So basically, if she moves in, ether she won't pay anything, or she will pay a bargain price.
Another point is CH is not paid by Charles' income from the Duchy of Cornwall nor by William's inheritance. It's payed by taxpayers. Charles was criticised when Camz moved in because she was not an official member of the family but still enjoyed the Palace and all its staff paid the tax payers.
It would be silly for Kate to expose herself to such criticism. relationship.
you made a good point.
...and besides the rent, Wills would have to “ cover” all of the housekeeping expenses around her. Not that he has to, but I can not imagine Kate living with him and he gets the housekeeping help from the maids, but Kate not. Obviously she would get it as well. As we know, the housekeepers are paid of the tax-money as well
Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
It would be cleverer for her to have her own apartment and accomplish something in her life by her own, rather then depending on Will at such an early stage of their relationship.
And being independent would keep Wills more interested in her. Unfortunately she does not get it.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by segolen
And being independent would keep Wills more interested in her. Unfortunately she does not get it.
I will say that is a valid point. The only thing is that we don't know what is truly going on. We will never know.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Nobility

I hope we will. What ‘s going on between Kate and Wills is not very hard to follow. So many eyes are watching them…” grin”…
Old 08-17-2005, 12:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Kents may be paying the Queen 64 sterling, but Her Majesty is paying $165,000 annually to the Exchequer for their apartment in Kensington Palace. She agreed to do so until 2007, at that time the Kents must either pay it themselves or find another home. I think their house in the country is for sale for $6 million?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

The issue of a first-born daughter ascending the throne over a son has not been addressed by Parliament and the old rules still apply.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:18 AM

I've been following the thread and wondering, from all the posts which suggest that William is too young to marry and should "sow some wild oats" but which also say that as future head of the church he should set the moral tone for society to follow, is it more moral to have sexual relations with a variety of women whom the future king has no intention of marrying, or have mistresses before or after marriage, than to live with one who might possibly be the future wife and for whom he feels sincere love?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Courtier

There would be other possibilities. For example having a sexual relationship with ONE woman (who at present is Kate), but without living together (but she could live with him sometimes as a guest - I think it's different - BUT having TWO rooms OFFICIALLY).
Or - this would be the best one - having no sexual relationships at all. But perhaps this is too demanding for some people.

In any case, the reason because I don't like the idea of them living "officially" together as husband and wife is that this would be a clear statement from them: marriage is not needed. I don't think this is the right message.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphiya
I've been following the thread and wondering, from all the posts which suggest that William is too young to marry and should "sow some wild oats" but which also say that as future head of the church he should set the moral tone for society to follow,
Hi sapphiya, I was the one who suggested William is too young and should sow some wild oats but I haven't suggested that he set a moral tone and other than being a basically decent human being and treating people with respect.

The problem with Kate Middleton is the public is putting pressure on a marriage and in this day and age they're too young. Royal watchers have commented that at William's age, Charles had undertaken a lot more official duties than William has. He is taking on the mantle of royal responsibility much slower than his father did. Living together would put more pressure on them to marry and not less and that's not good until William gets a feel for his role. If they are not suited for each other, it will be harder for her to pull out if she lives with him than if they live apart.

Being the heir to the throne puts a lot more pressure on getting married than for the average Joe. Adding the stress of living together just doubles the pressure.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william, relationships