The Hypothetical Question of Prince William Living with his Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I meant was, no one seemd to care about Charles and Camilla living together, so I don't see why they have a problem with William living with Kate:)

Aussie Princess said:
What I meant was, no one seemd to care about Charles and Camilla living together, so I don't see why they have a problem with William living with Kate:)
It was criticised in the UK (Camilla moving in).

tiaraprin said:
Segolen, I think it just better to agree to disagree. You aren't going to change your opinion, and I am not going to change mine. I am not in a mood for a war of words.

It is not a war of words, it is only a discussion. If you are not in a mood of talking, simply do not replay. I can not go inside your head to check our if you or on a talking mood or not, so I can post my replay

I think we've established that Segolen and Tiaraprin have a difference of opinion here, so can we please move on.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

First off I am a Christian and I love royalty...Prince William is very cute!! But I disagree with his "living together" with Kate..I think it is a Sin in the Eyes of God and William is going to be the Head of the Church of England!!! This is NOT a good way to start a relationship...I think Wills should just stick to dating and not living with a girl...a nice Christian Girl would do.I just hope william realizes what he is doing is wrong thats all.

Let God Choose the mate for you William....

Queen Astrid said:
First off I am a Christian and I love royalty...Prince William is very cute!! But I disagree with his "living together" with Kate..I think it is a Sin in the Eyes of God and William is going to be the Head of the Church of England!!! This is NOT a good way to start a relationship...I think Wills should just stick to dating and not living with a girl...a nice Christian Girl would do.I just hope william realizes what he is doing is wrong thats all.
Let God Choose the mate for you William....
I agree with you on the religious points. It is a sign of lacking restraint, not to mention as I have written before, bilking the taxpayers to pay for someone who isn't even his fiancee. Kate should be more self sufficient.
What if the relationship doesn't turn out? Will Kate write a tell-all book about her relationship with Wills? Or even worse, if something unsavoury about her character comes out, it will be harder for him to break it off if he's lived with her.
Exactly. It puts Kate inadvertantly in a position to do harm to William. If she writes a tell-all book she could reveal very salacious details (true or untrue the public will read and believe much of it) about their love life if she wanted. Or details about his daily routine and intimate interests. There is always a market for this, furthermore if William dumps her she will have no reason to be discreet anymore. Not to mention the general hurt of losing someone coupled with the loss of potentially becoming Princess of Wales.
Kate is not going to be expected to contribute to the household expenses of a multimillionaire grandson of the Sovereign.
Thus the taxpayers will. William gets the bulk of his money from taxpayers, if not all of it.
Living with Kate would not be any different than what Johnny Smith down the street is doing.
Johnny Smith doesn't have taxpayers paying for his residence and security. Not to mention Johnny Smith isn't in line for the throne.
I also think this is good for Kate if she does marry William. It could be an "apprenticeship" like Sophie had.
Sophie was already officially engaged. Not to mention William wants to wait to be married, it was mentioned by a poster who stated he wanted to wait until late twenties, early thirties until he ties the knot. So Kate lives in the lap of luxury until William breaks up with her, or for ten years or so until they have an official engagement.

Furthermore I mentioned that It puts Kate in William's power. If they have an argument, Kate will have to give in so that way William does not throw her out of the luxurious lifestyle she's accustomed to. If Kate has her own place then she can fight, argue, then retreat to her own place knowing no one can take it away. If she has to live in a less prestigious area then so be it.
Will all of William's girlfriends be living in Clarence house after they have been dating for a while?
Oh, the taxpayers will love that. The Republicans would/will have a field day with that scenario.
Had William been in his 30s and planning to head down the aisle soon living together for a few months prior to the wedding would've been fine.
Precisely, due to the fact that he would be officially engaged. Furthermore Diana was moved into Clarence House for her safety right before the engagement was announced publicly.
We're way past the days when there could be gentlemen's agreements between the powers that be at the Palace and the editors of the majr newpapers to suppress or manipulate news. These days the editors seem to take great joy in embarrassing the royal family whenever possible,
It's this very media Kate could use to cause trouble for William if he dumps her. PLus with her "Saint Kate" image the press would go to town on William publicity wise. The English love the underdog and William is seen as the top dog, along with the monarchy in general. The media would have tons of pictures of Kate moving her stuff out of Clarence House with a miserable look on her face, with headlines such has "KATE KICKED OUT!!" and such exaggerated headlines detailing the cruelty of William to their sainted "English Rose".

Last edited by a moderator:
Tzu An said:
I agree with you on the religious points. It is a sign of lacking restraint, not to mention as I have written before, bilking the taxpayers to pay for someone who isn't even his fiancee. Kate should be more self sufficient.

Exactly. It puts Kate inadvertantly in a position to do harm to William. If she writes a tell-all book she could reveal very salacious details (true or untrue the public will read and believe much of it) about their love life if she wanted. Or details about his daily routine and intimate interests. There is always a market for this, furthermore if William dumps her she will have no reason to be discreet anymore. Not to mention the general hurt of losing someone coupled with the loss of potentially becoming Princess of Wales.

Thus the taxpayers will. William gets the bulk of his money from taxpayers, if not all of it.

Johnny Smith doesn't have taxpayers paying for his residence and security. Not to mention Johnny Smith isn't in line for the throne.

Sophie was already officially engaged. Not to mention William wants to wait to be married, it was mentioned by a poster who stated he wanted to wait until late twenties, early thirties until he ties the knot. So Kate lives in the lap of luxury until William breaks up with her, or for ten years or so until they have an official engagement.

Furthermore I mentioned that It puts Kate in William's power. If they have an argument, Kate will have to give in so that way William does not throw her out of the luxurious lifestyle she's accustomed to. If Kate has her own place then she can fight, argue, then retreat to her own place knowing no one can take it away. If she has to live in a less prestigious area then so be it.

Oh, the taxpayers will love that. The Republicans would/will have a field day with that scenario.

Precisely, due to the fact that he would be officially engaged. Furthermore Diana was moved into Clarence House for her safety right before the engagement was announced publicly.

It's this very media Kate could use to cause trouble for William if he dumps her. PLus with her "Saint Kate" image the press would go to town on William publicity wise. The English love the underdog and William is seen as the top dog, along with the monarchy in general. The media would have tons of pictures of Kate moving her stuff out of Clarence House with a miserable look on her face, with headlines such has "KATE KICKED OUT!!" and such exaggerated headlines detailing the cruelty of William to their sainted "English Rose".

What more can I say ? It's a perfect message! :)

Last edited:
William self-funded

Tzu An said:
William gets the bulk of his money from taxpayers, if not all of it.
At the moment William is supported by his father who receives his income via profits from the Duchy of Cornwall.

When William gains access to his various trust funds he will be a self-funded multi-millionaire in fact and not just on paper.

Tzu An said:
Exactly. It puts Kate inadvertantly in a position to do harm to William. If she writes a tell-all book she could reveal very salacious details (true or untrue the public will read and believe much of it) about their love life if she wanted. Or details about his daily routine and intimate interests. There is always a market for this, furthermore if William dumps her she will have no reason to be discreet anymore.

Perhaps she has signed a confidentiality agreement?

Warren said:
At the moment William is supported by his father who receives his income via profits from the Duchy of Cornwall.

When William gains access to his various trust funds he will be a self-funded multi-millionaire in fact and not just on paper.

William will not receive any tax-payers money, other than to cover the expense directly related to being a working royal - i.e. travel to official visits - until he becomes king.

He is currently supported by the Duke of Cornwall. At 25 (I believe) he will be able to access the Trust Fund left by his mother. (He may already have access to anything left to him by his great-grandmother and Spencer grandparents, if anything was left. I don't know of any).

When Charles becomes king he will have the income of the Duchy of Cornwall estates to support him and then as King he will get a Civil List allowance to cover official costs and the income of the Duchy of Lancaster to support himself.

The cost of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh is, I believe 61p per person per year - i.e. a loaf of bread, Charles costs 4p per person per year and no other member of the RF cost anything as the Queen repays the government for anything they receive.

IMO, As a future King and Head of the Anglican Faith, he should abide by the morals and rules the the role entitled. With that I think that Kate should not live with Will, (not because I dont agree with couples living together premarriage) but rather she should live on her own. As others already mention, if this relationship does not work out, she could leave with a clean break, without the media attention focused on her when she moves out or so. Living together just sends the wrong message to the public and right now I think the BRF needs some good image first.

chrissy57 said:
William will not receive any tax-payers money, other than to cover the expense directly related to being a working royal - i.e. travel to official visits - until he becomes king.

He is currently supported by the Duke of Cornwall. At 25 (I believe) he will be able to access the Trust Fund left by his mother. (He may already have access to anything left to him by his great-grandmother and Spencer grandparents, if anything was left. I don't know of any).

When Charles becomes king he will have the income of the Duchy of Cornwall estates to support him and then as King he will get a Civil List allowance to cover official costs and the income of the Duchy of Lancaster to support himself.

The cost of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh is, I believe 61p per person per year - i.e. a loaf of bread, Charles costs 4p per person per year and no other member of the RF cost anything as the Queen repays the government for anything they receive.

I would think Kate would be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement and the money that would go to supporting her would come from William directly and not from public funds. If he is going to live with Kate, he has to pay the expenses, not the British public.

We also don't know if Sophie did live with Edward. They spent a great deal of time together on vacations and with the Royal Family. Do not tell me that there were no "conjugal relations" during those 6 years leading to an engagement. Also, don't say there has not been "conjugal relations" between William and Kate and that they have not lived together already. It seems to some that is OK that they have a sexual relationship provided that there is no concrete proof such as living together publicly. That is quite hypocritcal. William and Kate have already "sinned" a great deal if we follow that line of logic. Therefore, I don't see why they cannot live together provided Kate is not living off of the public's money.

Last edited:
tiaraprin said:
That is quite hypocritcal. William and Kate have already "sinned" a great deal if we follow that line of logic.

In others words, if you do something bad or sinful once, you can continue doing it? If they sinned, shouldnt they try to "fix" it?:)

Many members of the royal family have commited sins but they try to hide them from the public. By hiding the sins people who would be offended by the sins can deny that they happened and be perfectly happy.
Its like my stepbrother and his girlfriend who have been together for about 7 years. They have of course had "relations" during that time they've been together. However her parents are devout Catholics and are against premarital relations. Her father actually gives them extra money when they go on vacations together so that they can book two seperate rooms. One would think that her parents would realize that they've been having relations for years now but they remain in denial. How they can manage to deny it, I'm not sure. But they do and the people who are opposed to William and Kate having any relations would probably do the same thing! But by having them living together that makes it harder for even those people to deny it.

Thi said:
In others words, if you do something bad or sinful once, you can continue doing it? If they sinned, shouldnt they try to "fix" it?:)

It is just my opinion that this is the 21st century and this is commonplace. I see nothing wrong with it, but that is just me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

yes, but the 21 century doesnt condone sins

Warren said:

Both William and Harry started receiving an income from their mother's trust in this year. They are permitted, with the permission of the trustees, to request additional funds when necessary (i.e. to buy a car). When they turn 25, they will receive the first of four installments of the trust's principal outright.

The Duchy of Cornwall only pays for their household expenses such as staff and food, most of which is part of their father's household anyway. Once they marry and have their own staff, the Duchy would cover these expenses. It is likely, however, some of their own private income would be used as well in the spirit of downsizing the monarchy.

branchg said:
Both William and Harry started receiving an income from their mother's trust in this year. They are permitted, with the permission of the trustees, to request additional funds when necessary (i.e. to buy a car). When they turn 25, they will receive the first of four installments of the trust's principal outright.

The Duchy of Cornwall only pays for their household expenses such as staff and food, most of which is part of their father's household anyway. Once they marry and have their own staff, the Duchy would cover these expenses. It is likely, however, some of their own private income would be used as well in the spirit of downsizing the monarchy.

thats very interesting. thanks for the info branchg

ok what about Mette Marit. They lived together before marrige and have a love marrige now. Crownprince Frederik Lived together with MAry before the were married. Queen Sonja of Norway is a commoner and has been married to King Olav for ages.
The most impotant thing here is that Willam is happy with the girl he choose to spend the rest of his life with. Commoner or Aristocrat i dont care. as long as they are happy.
I am sure Diana would have thought the same. As long as her sons is happy.

As long as her sons is happy.
True, but shouldn't William sacrifice a little? He's a future king with a duty toward his people, whether he likes it or not. If he doesn't at least try to set an example then people will rightly get rid of the monarchy, or the Windsor dynasty. He's not, I repeat, NOT a normal person with a normal life ahead of him. He has privileges beyond our scope of understanding and has to repay that by doing his duty and exercising self dicipline. Let Kate live on her own, William can always visit, or Kate can visit. William has been quite spoiled (press deal, "normal college life") and it has made him less inclined to do the job his birth has required of him.

Tzu An said:
True, but shouldn't William sacrifice a little? He's a future king with a duty toward his people, whether he likes it or not. If he doesn't at least try to set an example then people will rightly get rid of the monarchy, or the Windsor dynasty. He's not, I repeat, NOT a normal person with a normal life ahead of him. He has privileges beyond our scope of understanding and has to repay that by doing his duty and exercising self dicipline. Let Kate live on her own, William can always visit, or Kate can visit. William has been quite spoiled (press deal, "normal college life") and it has made him less inclined to do the job his birth has required of him.

Yes.. I agree Tzu An! He needs to stop thinking that he is who he is, and start realizing that he is WHAT he is!

Tzu An said:

Your statement just made me have pity for Will..poor guy...and it also made me lose hope of being a royal myself!:rolleyes:

Tzu An said:

Wait a minute!! This is a young man who lived through the horrors of his parents' marriage collapse among media coverage, the tug of war between being royal and being a "normal" human being, Dealing with the fact that his father's mistress was the greatest cause of distress in his Mother's life. Many of us do not have our personal lives and the lives of our parents splashed across tabloids each and every day!! What would exposing him to more media coverage at a younger age accomplish for William?? It would make him rebel and possibly refuse his birthright just like his great-great Uncle did. Edward VIII was bullied and harrassed by his father and look how he reacted. Do you believe pushing William too hard will make him tow the line the way you wish?

William will soon take up his royal duties. He has the opportunity that his father and grandmother never had--time to live life a little before taking up this tremendous burden. I think William deserves this. He knows full well what is ahead of him and I believe has become more accepting of his birthright than he was when he was younger and so horrible with the press. William is the type who has to be eased into the full job. As long as there is the time to do this, I think this is the best way to do it. This is one of the few times I agree with Prince Charles.

I believe William HAS PAID for the priviledge of his birthright. He lost his beloved Mother, lived a childhood of tremendous sadness, and exploitation of his family's private life to such a degree as has never been know before in British Royal History.

He has the opportunity that his father and grandmother never had--time to live life a little before taking up this tremendous burden.
He already has. The press has refused to harass him at all while he was at St. Andrews. He's lived with Kate and another couple not to mention he was allowed to have a private birthday party despite the vociferous protestations of parliamentarians who wanted to celebrate with a big ceremony and reception. He's been photographed it's true, but mostly in an official capacity and with his consent. He needs to suck it up and do the darn job.

He lost his beloved Mother, lived a childhood of tremendous sadness, and exploitation of his family's private life to such a degree as has never been know before in British Royal History.

Other children have lost their mothers in far more horrendous ways and never had the world's support, or a lavish lifestyle to help them cope. Many children have been exploited, far worse than being photographed by hungry press hounds. There's a price for the life he lives and he had better start paying up.

the tug of war between being royal and being a "normal" human being

Since childhood he's been kind of reared in a conflicting way. Queen Elizabeth sometimes objected to Diana's 'normalizing' influence since these two boys are not 'normal' children. If he had been reared as strictly royal he woudn't have such a conflicting character. Granted he might be more formal, but I doubt seriously that they would be "dehumanized". See, there is a difference between the person and the office they hold. Diana's mistake was that she never separated the two. She wanted to be 'normal' while wearing a tiara. A person has to be one or the other. She refused curtsies that were due to her as a royal princess since she could not understand that she had a role to embody. She was supposed to be "Diana, the Princess of Wales", not Diana 'ordinary person.'

Getting back on topic, William must let go of his dream of being ordinary. He's had it easy as anyone could hope for. People are getting rid of monarchs since they see their future monarchs as spoiled rich kids they support with their taxes. William needs to start doing the job, maintaining the pageantry and glamour of royalty, but most important, the dignity. He's gone through a divorce, a terrible one, but so have many many people of this generation. I've had a sad early childhood (divorce) and I've managed to rise above it. I did it without a royal lifestyle. So forgive me if I have little sympathy for someone who has had everything handed to him on a gold platter. Many people in the British government are calling the royals freeloaders and I am kind of agreeing with them since the younger generation are simply living the good life and not doing anything to earn it. Hate Charles as much as it might please people on this board, but he's never shirked his duty when it comes to performing his duties.

Last edited:
Tzu An said:
He already has. He needs to suck it up and do the darn job.

Other children have lost their mothers in far more horrendous ways and never had the world's support, or a lavish lifestyle to help them cope. Many children have been exploited, far worse than being photographed by hungry press hounds. There's a price for the life he lives and he had better start paying up.

She was supposed to be "Diana, the Princess of Wales", not Diana 'ordinary person.'

Getting back on topic, William must let go of his dream of being ordinary. He's had it easy as anyone could hope for. People are getting rid of monarchs since they see their future monarchs as spoiled rich kids they support with their taxes. William needs to start doing the job, maintaining the pageantry and glamour of royalty, but most important, the dignity. He's gone through a divorce, a terrible one, but so have many many people of this generation. I've had a sad early childhood (divorce) and I've managed to rise above it. I did it without a royal lifestyle. So forgive me if I have little sympathy for someone who has had everything handed to him on a gold platter. Many people in the British government are calling the royals freeloaders and I am kind of agreeing with them since the younger generation are simply living the good life and not doing anything to earn it. Hate Charles as much as it might please people on this board, but he's never shirked his duty when it comes to performing his duties.

I COMPLETELY agree!!!

William must let go of his dream of being ordinary. He's had it easy as anyone could hope for. People are getting rid of monarchs since they see their future monarchs as spoiled rich kids they support with their taxes. William needs to start doing the job, maintaining the pageantry and glamour of royalty, but most important, the dignity. He's gone through a divorce, a terrible one, but so have many many people of this generation. I've had a sad early childhood (divorce) and I've managed to rise above it. I did it without a royal lifestyle. So forgive me if I have little sympathy for someone who has had everything handed to him on a gold platter. Many people in the British government are calling the royals freeloaders and I am kind of agreeing with them since the younger generation are simply living the good life and not doing anything to earn it. Hate Charles as much as it might please people on this board, but he's never shirked his duty when it comes to performing his duties.

So William has had it easy?? I do not care how much material comfort you have, that NEVER compensates for emotional trauma. I had a bad childhood too of abuse. At least every aspect of my life and my family's life has not been broadcast around the world!! This is what everyone is forgetting--the emotional aspect to life for anyone, including a royal. Material comfort does not buy you love, does not buy you true friends, does not buy you emotional security and stability. Would great material wealth have made my situation any better?? NO. Would it have made your troubled childhood better?? Ask yourself that question.

Rich or poor, we are all the same when it comes to these aspects and I feel it is heartless not to see the impact of his trauma just because he has money. Money does not matter when it comes to the emotional horrors of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom